Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: The endless (and probably pointless) GK debate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Jimmy Holland?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Jimmy Holland?

We have a winner

Banned
    IT was a cup of coffee Mark Birighitti will cherish forever.

The advice the Jets goalkeeper received from Juventus shot-stopper Gigi Buffon will be equally treasured.

Birighitti spent 40 minutes with his idol at the Italian team’s Sydney hotel on Monday.

The previous night, the 23-year-old had played the final 20 minutes for the A-League All Stars in a credible 3-2 loss to the Serie-A champions.

After exchanging shirts with Buffon and Andrea Pirlo post-game, Birighitti’s All Stars teammate and Juventus legend Alessandro Del Piero arranged a get-together for the keepers.

‘‘It was amazing to spend time with Buffon,’’ Birighitti said.

‘‘We had a coffee and he told me about his experiences and gave me some advice, which was amazing.

‘‘He said, ‘No matter where you play, no matter what the game is, if you have things on your mind, if there is stuff happening overseas, always focus on the present moment. Focus on the job at hand and don’t get too far ahead of yourself’.

‘‘He knew I was at the Newcastle Jets and had the experience of going to the World Cup and was close to signing in Germany.

‘‘He said, ‘Now you are at Newcastle, you focus on Newcastle. That is your team and make sure you perform week-in, week-out for them. Europe will always be there. If you perform well at your club, you will get opportunities to go overseas. If you don’t perform at your club, it is a different story’.

‘‘We spoke about a range of things but that was the thing that stuck with me.

‘‘Getting advice off him – he has played at the highest level, is a world champion and has done everything in world football.

‘‘To hear that from his mouth was music to my ears.’’

Birighitti returns to the Jets and the reality of a preseason training today.

Ben Kennedy finished last season as the Jets’ first-choice gloveman and has been in-goal for the opening three trials.

‘‘I can’t wait to get back now and knuckle down to training,’’ Birighitti said.

‘‘I have had an amazing few months – going to the World Cup and then getting into the All Star team.

‘‘It is only going to make me hungrier for the season to start.

‘‘BK is a good goalkeeper.

‘‘It is up to me now. I just want to focus on my own game and make sure I perform day-in day-out at training.

‘‘As Buffon said, I have to focus on the present and not get too far ahead of myself.’’

Against Juventus, the score was locked at 1-1 when Birighitti replaced Eugene Galekovic.

Western Sydney striker Tomi Juric regained the lead for the All Stars with a thumping shot but late goals to Paul Pogba and Simone Pepe sealed the win for the Italians.

Both strikes were sublime and gave Birighitti little hope of saving them.

‘‘Their accuracy rate is so high,’’ Birighitti said.

‘‘When world-class players get an opportunity, they execute them. You give them a little sniff and they take it. You make a mistake and they punish.

‘‘In saying that, we gave it a real good crack.

‘‘We kept the ball well. That was one thing [coach] Josep Gombau was big on.

‘‘He wanted us to try and play football, play with freedom and enjoy the experience.’’
    Hopefully the bloke is phased about playing for us now

What a fantastic opportunity for Birrighiti. I'm very jealous.

I expect to see him return with increased drive to succeed her for Newcastle. It was his hard work that got him the Leverkusen link in the first place, but it's almost back to square one. He needs to prove himself again and I reckon Stubbins will give him that opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Why does he need Buffon to tell him to focus on his current job? Isn't it obvious?

How many players make it over to Europe by daydreaming through training and games here. Unless you're Leo messi quality - and even those guys still work hard - it's a ****ing no brainer isn't it?

How dare he gain advice from one of the greatest players in his position to have ever played the game.

BK in, Biraz phased out
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Why does he need Buffon to tell him to focus on his current job? Isn't it obvious?

How many players make it over to Europe by daydreaming through training and games here. Unless you're Leo messi quality - and even those guys still work hard - it's a ****ing no brainer isn't it?
    I think his head got turned. The chat with Buffon might have the impact of refocussing him. It's what some people need, Gaz. We all work in different ways.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Am concerned Buffon didn't address the whole 'dive/don't dive' debate.

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Birraz what a legend. Glad to have him here still. Bloke made an error tried to act cool about it, didn't turn out good for him. But he's only young and helps blokes seal the deal with chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I expect to see him return with increased drive to succeed her for (insert OS team here) .
    ftfy

i have no probs with biz just dont gift the yellow river ever again.

BK number one last match - Birraz got to get back in the team first.

It will be interesting to see what Stubbins does.

BK was the number 1 at the end of last season but with a new coach, Birraz going with the WC squad and the All-Stars game there is an argument for him to start.

As long as Birraz's head is hear, and not OS like it was towards the end of last season, I am happy with either keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    It will be interesting to see what Stubbins does.

BK was the number 1 at the end of last season but with a new coach, Birraz going with the WC squad and the All-Stars game there is an argument for him to start.

As long as Birraz's head is hear, and not OS like it was towards the end of last season, I am happy with either keeper.
    BK is ahead at the moment simply because he's been here. Birraz will get a go in North Queensland. Happy with either too. May the best keeper play

If you were BK and reading these daily commentaries about how Birraz is going to get the No 1 back it would fire you right up I imagine. And Birraz will champing at the bit after the WC and Bayer move falling over. We are going to have two very good keepers this year pushing each other.

On their day Birraz is the better keeper IMO, but haven't seen his best form in a while. Spot should be BK's unless Birraz can produce miracles in the remaining pre-season.

Biraz just got called up to the national team, and was second-choice keeper in the HAL allstars behind another Socceroo. Anyone who thinks BK deserves the number 1 position ahead of him I have no hope for, honestly.
    OK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    If you were BK and reading these daily commentaries about how Birraz is going to get the No 1 back it would fire you right up I imagine. And Birraz will champing at the bit after the WC and Bayer move falling over. We are going to have two very good keepers this year pushing each other.

On their day Birraz is the better keeper IMO, but haven't seen his best form in a while. Spot should be BK's unless Birraz can produce miracles in the remaining pre-season.
    Spot should go to the bloke who works hardest and earns it over the pre season.

What happened last year is irrelevant

Just like every other spot in the squad. The blokes who knuckle down and do the job in pre season deserve the spot in round 1 regardless of who they are

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Actually the best goalkeeper should be in goals. If both are fit, best player starts. I couldn't give a shit if a player missed all of preseason, if they are better then someone else they should start. That's like saying if griff missed pre season he shouldn't start. Geeze mate first u get a hard on for Alex wilkinson now u don't think griff should start should he get injured before the season. BK is a massive legend. But birraz is the better keeper so should start. So what birraz should get punished for being selected as one of the best keepers in the league and played against juventus. You would rather a guy that's played against Weston and Perth. One of those teams you yourself said weren't worthy of a trial.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Spot should go to the bloke who works hardest and earns it over the pre season.

What happened last year is irrelevant

Just like every other spot in the squad. The blokes who knuckle down and do the job in pre season deserve the spot in round 1 regardless of who they are

I agree. New season, new coach, earn your spot.

Quote Originally Posted by la bazzle View Post
    Actually the best goalkeeper should be in goals. If both are fit, best player starts. I couldn't give a shit if a player missed all of preseason, if they are better then someone else they should start. That's like saying if griff missed pre season he shouldn't start. Geeze mate first u get a hard on for Alex wilkinson now u don't think griff should start should he get injured before the season. BK is a massive legend. But birraz is the better keeper so should start. So what birraz should get punished for being selected as one of the best keepers in the league and played against juventus. You would rather a guy that's played against Weston and Perth. One of those teams you yourself said weren't worthy of a trial.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    I agree. New season, new coach, earn your spot.
    Earn your spot? **** that, be the best at your spot. That should be enough to earn it, whether you spend pre-season pumping iron, pumping the ladies (griff, obv) or pumping fists with Buffon. Had it with this "oh, but Joe Shitplayer spent the season doing lots of work so deserves his spot of Joel Mega****ingawesomeplayer who didn't work as hard".

**** hard work. Actual ability >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hard work.