Page 19 of 79 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: The endless (and probably pointless) GK debate thread.

I think I am just most surprised the member supports birraz. seems like the kind of bloke the member loves to hate.
    Go jetties

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Que the inevitable long winding post that backtracks on the original post to basically say nothing at all.
    There won't be no back tracking from me on Birraz.

The bloke has some issues to work on with his game. No surprise there he is young and inexperienced.

The bloke though is a very good shot stopper and has the balls to put his head on the line to dive at the feet of an attacker when needed without giving a second thought about preserving his hair or his face.

Add this to much better decision making skills and the bloke will be spending 10 plus years playing in Europe and competing for Socceroos No 1 spot.

It is this decision making stuff that is holding him back from securing a move to Europe.

I am just firmly of the opinion that Birraz is a much better keeper all round and will always be a much better keeper than BK.

If his rival for the No 1 was not a local I seriously doubt we would be having this discussion. Some of the shit talked abut Birraz and his attitude and that he couldn't care less is a ****ing disgrace when 99% of blokes here would have NFI.

I also find it disgraceful that other than Taylor Reegz and Hooley there are about 5-6 locals in the squad who to me look like they don't ****ing care enough on the park about representing their fans and their hometown. Where the **** is the passion from them??

Considering our squad is basically a transient lounge year to year most of the locals are the longest serving players at the club. Where the **** is the culture from them about being all Newy and aiming up for the town etc???

When they ain't doing it is a bit much to expect the players bought in from outside the Hunter to have a greater passion for the cause. It is a disgrace that the bloke who shows the most passion for our club and fans has spent 5 years away walking the earth and in 30 mins of his comeback could show more passion for the cause than these blokes have in their combined ****ing careers

I think you missed what I was saying.
    Hold here for a second while I get you a mirror

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Problem is the way people are twisting it to suit an agenda by taking it in a certain context.
    Did you get it that time
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

The member has replaced Kale Bradbury with another lost cause. Not surprising.

the bloke will be spending 10 plus years playing in Europe and competing for Socceroos No 1 spot.
    Is this before of after Tarek is playing state league within 12 months of leaving us?
    Just trying to get my "proposterus Member predictions" timeline up to date.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Is this before of after Tarek is playing state league within 12 months of leaving us?
    Just trying to get my "proposterus Member predictions" timeline up to date.
    Some of your finest work

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    How the heck did this slip through the cracks
    He was agreeing with me so I certainly wasn't stopping it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Let's be honest, we should have done everything we could to sign Covic when he was a free agent after Melbourne.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Let's be honest, we should have done everything we could to sign Covic when he was a free agent after Melbourne.
    yep

Covic would never be stupid enough to sign with this abortion of a club again - regardless of what false promises they made to him.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football...4-150503NEWMVC

He has the yips.

First ball into the box in this clip, he retreats from the contest to his line....
    The worst one is at 1:30 when Milligan heads over. Birraz comes, gets to the 6' then back pedals to his line.
    Milligan wins header, from the spot birraz retreated from and luckily blazes over.

He's a good shot stopper, but it looks like opposition teams have found a weakness and are exploiting it.
    The number of goals were leaking might suggest there's some communications issue happening too.

Phil Dando made the great point after the game that maybe Young should be spending more time working on this for Birraz.

Birraz is still far better than Kennedy aka Mr Statue.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/football...4-150503NEWMVC

The number of goals were leaking might suggest there's some communications issue happening too.
    The number of goals we have conceeded in the last 2 weeks has to do with the ****ing idiots in front of him. Yesterday he comes out does well and denies Berisha after the blokes in front left him high and dry. When the ball comes back in not one of them helped him out. What Neville was doing beats me. FFS First to the ball in the box has to be a necessity

Second goal the bloke had Berisha bearing down on him and Berisha was too good.

Other than this petty criticism you are offering up over a cross that you felt he dealt with poorly the bloke has done **** all wrong all day

As for that cross heres another point that to me is more pressing.
    What the **** were the other blokes doing allowing 3-4 blokes to be unmarked???

If Milligan hadn't of headed it there was another bloke behind him who was getting it

Must be Birraz's fault that

The number of goals we have conceeded in the last 2 weeks has to do with the ****ing idiots in front of him. Yesterday he comes out does well and denies Berisha after the blokes in front left him high and dry. When the ball comes back in not one of them helped him out. What Neville was doing beats me. FFS First to the ball in the box has to be a necessity

Other than this petty criticism you are offering up over a cross that you felt he dealt with poorly the bloke has done **** all wrong all day

As for that cross heres another point that to me is more pressing.
    What the **** were the other blokes doing allowing 3-4 blokes to be unmarked???

If Milligan hadn't of headed it there was another bloke behind him who was getting it

Must be Birraz's fault that
    Not suggesting all the fault with errors at the back lie with Birraz. no argument he's been let down on a few occasions..... I haven't picked him as at fault for the goals. He closed well for the first and was unlucky his save went straight back to the attacker to centre for an unmarked player, and Berisha hit the second 3 inches wide of birraz's right foot..... Low and close is the hardest spot to get to.

But, as a goalkeeper he has to command his 6 yard box aerially far better than he has been and that he's been guilty of retreating from a contest in that area a number of times this season. with 10 goals conceded in 5 games there's evidence that communication amongst the back 5 is an issue.... Communication at the back starts and end with the keeper.

Call it petty if you feel you must, I see it as a technical point present in his game over a series of weeks that he needs to improve on.

I do take your point that if Milligan doesn't win the header another other Victree player would have, highlighting the back 4 not doing their job properly. Totally agree, but it doesn't absolve birraz..... If anything that one instance highlights both my points, if birraz dominates that area of his 6, no defender or attacker win the ball, he does. if he's communicating strongly there's no confusion leading to defenders dropping away from their man while he's heading back to the line.

You said yourself, "FFS First to the ball in the box has to be a necessity" when talking about Neville and their first.
    The statement is doubly true when talking about a keeper and his 6yrd box when a ball is swung in.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 09-11-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Banned
    Being that the bloke has been hammered for ****ing up at the Phoenix game the bloke is making his decisions early and sticking with them.

He has got his decisions right though.

When he has come he has got to it. When he has chose to stay back he has went back. We have seen no errors from him since.

Being that he has a fraction of a second to assess the ball flight to make this decision I struggle to see how criticism can be made of him for not guessing the exact spot on the park the ball will drop well before it has arrived.

This example you have used actually has the ball land 8 yards out to Milligan so a case could be argued it isn't a case of a lack of command of his 6 yard box at all as it has nothing to do with coming into his zone.

He has made the call to go back and let his defenders deal with it. Why the expectation that he has to deal with it single handedly??
    The responsibility to deal with the ball is either his or the defenders. He has assessed it and left them to deal with it and they have let him down.

Sure we would all love him to be coming out and seizing every ball in the box but he has just copped a caning for ****ing up and he ain't coming out for anything at present he ain't certain of getting and who can blame him. Another **** up and he is riding the pine.

I struggle to understand the excessive expectation on him. The bloke would have been told to cut the errors out by keeping it simple and getting the decisions right and making them early.

He has been doing that

Why the over the top scrutinisation for issues that barely or don't exist???

. What Neville was doing beats me. FFS First to the ball in the box has to be a necessity

From my view (and backed up by replay) Nev looks at Kew who initially was going back to mark the bloke on the spot. Nev then goes to the line to clear any shot. Then Kew heads out to the bloke putting the cross in but gets caught half way cause it bounces over him as he's advancing. By then Nev was on his heels to protect the line and could do nowt about the header.
    Neither goal were Biraz's fault. Thought it was his best game this year.
    Last edited by plague; 09-11-2014 at 11:36 PM.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Being that the bloke has been hammered for ****ing up at the Phoenix game the bloke is making his decisions early and sticking with them.

He has got his decisions right though.

When he has come he has got to it. When he has chose to stay back he has went back. We have seen no errors from him since.

Being that he has a fraction of a second to assess the ball flight to make this decision I struggle to see how criticism can be made of him for not guessing the exact spot on the park the ball will drop well before it has arrived.

This example you have used actually has the ball land 8 yards out to Milligan so a case could be argued it isn't a case of a lack of command of his 6 yard box at all as it has nothing to do with coming into his zone.

He has made the call to go back and let his defenders deal with it. Why the expectation that he has to deal with it single handedly??
    The responsibility to deal with the ball is either his or the defenders. He has assessed it and left them to deal with it and they have let him down.

Sure we would all love him to be coming out and seizing every ball in the box but he has just copped a caning for ****ing up and he ain't coming out for anything at present he ain't certain of getting and who can blame him. Another **** up and he is riding the pine.

I struggle to understand the excessive expectation on him. The bloke would have been told to cut the errors out by keeping it simple and getting the decisions right and making them early.

He has been doing that

Why the over the top scrutinisation for issues that barely or don't exist???
    Have you watched that set piece again?
    He came forward and changed his mind.
    He should keep coming forward and win the ball. Changing his mind and retreating suggest he has the yips under a high ball.

He came to six, the ball dropped at 8 yards onto an attackers head.... Let's argue semantics again shall we?
    His decision to come, then go back, can easily explain why the defenders didn't follow their man.... They saw their keeper coming.... Then he didn't.

The ball in that space has to be the keepers ball, for the simple reason that an attacker putting that on target leaves a keeper with no chance.... Like the ccm goal in rd1

Technical errors that have cost us points deserve scrutiny.
    Just like strikers missing the target, or referees making obvious errors. But I'm not a striker or a referee so I'm hesitant to call technical points on positions I've no experience in.

Banned
    The defenders should not have stopped what they were doing regardless to what the keeper does. They should be tracking their man at all times an getting goal side and when the ball gets to them to win getting the commitment level high enough to get in front and get the first touch. If the keeper comes out and barrels them then so be it. If the keeper stays on his line so be it.

To say the bloke has the Yips under the high ball is a harsh. Reality is he is only coming for balls he knows he can and will get. Its when he starts coming for balls he "may" get we have issues.

May have to adjust the expectations as the reality is things ain't changing soon. Birraz will not be coming for balls he ain't certain he is getting. That is how it is.

As you said technical errors that have cost us points deserve scrutiny.

Well this didn't cost us anything. The goal he gave to Durante despite the technical error has had a great deal of scrutiny despite the thing costing us nothing as we were losing the game anyway

To say the ball is the keepers in that area is a harsh call.

The reason that ball is effective is the defence are back pedalling and having to deal with it on the back foot. The Keeper doesn't wish to come to claim as it is a little far out of their comfort zone and then the attacking team are on the front foot moving at goal.

To think Birraz is any less of a keeper cause he ain't comfortable dealing with these type of balls is harsh when nearly every keeper on the planet has issues with this situation

I agree the whole issue with Birraz at the moment is his lack of aerial confidence. The problem started the middle of last season - see the video for corresponding game last season when he allowed a header three metres out as well as that farce against WSW.

The problem was identified then and does not seem to be remedied as yet as more and more opposition coaches see it. Of course not every goal is his fault but that is not the point.

There was one moment on Saturday when Coe claimed a high ball beyond the penalty spot - he dominated his box. He also took out Kew in the first half going for a high ball - again he dominated. Birraz doesn't do that and therein lies a problem that is ignored at our peril.

The defenders should not have stopped what they were doing regardless to what the keeper does. They should be tracking their man at all times an getting goal side and when the ball gets to them to win getting the commitment level high enough to get in front and get the first touch. If the keeper comes out and barrels them then so be it. If the keeper stays on his line so be it.

To say the bloke has the Yips under the high ball is a harsh. Reality is he is only coming for balls he knows he can and will get. Its when he starts coming for balls he "may" get we have issues.

May have to adjust the expectations as the reality is things ain't changing soon. Birraz will not be coming for balls he ain't certain he is getting. That is how it is.

As you said technical errors that have cost us points deserve scrutiny.

Well this didn't cost us anything. The goal he gave to Durante despite the technical error has had a great deal of scrutiny despite the thing costing us nothing as we were losing the game anyway

To say the ball is the keepers in that area is a harsh call.

The reason that ball is effective is the defence are back pedalling and having to deal with it on the back foot. The Keeper doesn't wish to come to claim as it is a little far out of their comfort zone and then the attacking team are on the front foot moving at goal.

To think Birraz is any less of a keeper cause he ain't comfortable dealing with these type of balls is harsh when nearly every keeper on the planet has issues with this situation
    issue is that he's now not coming for balls he should be.

if "only come when you know you can get it" allows a keeper to stay rooted on his goals..... or back pedall towards the goal line, I wish I had you as my coach.