Page 33 of 79 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: The endless (and probably pointless) GK debate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    BK improved a lot last year IMO.

Birraz has better reflexes, but he commands the box as much as Napoleon Dynamite's brother.

Someone needs to buy the kid a steak and get him to bulk up a little.

BK should be ahead atm in my books.
    You also think Iain Ramsay is a good signing though...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    You also think Iain Ramsay is a good signing though...
    No, I said he's worth a look if the price is right.

Would be a handy squadie to add some pace down the left flank.

No, I said he's worth a look if the price is right.

Would be a handy squadie to add some pace down the left flank.
    The only good price for dross like Ramsay is if he is paying us to play.

We have Brennan as a squadie and from his time in NPL, he appears to play across the front 3 and is decent with either foot. Something that is at a polar opposites with Ramsay who is decent with neither.

I think RAM has found himself a shadow
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    think you're right

Nah, just the latest shit poster with ****ing daft opinions has found someone who will call him out on his nonsense instead of ignoring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Nah, just the latest shit poster with ****ing daft opinions has found someone who will call him out on his nonsense instead of ignoring it.
    lol

I'm sure Griff is good for 15-20 goals a season at 36 years of age as well

lol

I'm sure Griff is good for 15-20 goals a season at 36 years of age as well
    doubting Griff is ban worthy

From The Herald

Gloves on in battle to decide Jets top goalkeeper
    By JAMES GARDINER July 20, 2015, 9:49 p.m

THE battle for the No.1 goalkeeping position at the Jets is on, and the man in charge of the shot-stoppers, Jess Vanstrattan, expects the fight to go down to the wire.

Ben Kennedy and Mark Birighitti have occupied the No.1 seat at various stages over the past three years.

Birighitti usurped Kennedy when he arrived from Adelaide for the 2012-13 season.

He held the position for two years, winning the Jets player of the year in the first, before elevated to the Socceroos train-on squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Kennedy, the Jets player of the year in 2010-11, regained top spot after seven rounds last season. The change in order led to Birighitti being loaned out mid-season to Italian Serie B club Varese, where opportunities were limited.

Vanstrattan, pictured, took Birighitti’s place in the squad and had a dual role of back-up keeper and coach after Neil Young was part of a mid-season clean-out of support staff.

‘‘I’m not the type of person to say things for the sake of saying them,’’ he said after taking the keepers for his first session on Monday. ‘‘We are fortunate that we have two very good goalkeepers at this club.

‘‘BK finished last season pretty strong and hopefully he can pick up where he left off. Mark is someone, watching him from a distance on television, I thought always had a lot of potential. It is exciting to get my hands on both of them and work. They will start even and fight for the No.1 spot.’’

In a horror campaign, the Jets conceded a whopping 55 goals in 27 games last season, five more than the next worst Central Coast.

‘‘If you look at any league in the world, the teams at the top have conceded fewer goals,’’ Vanstrattan said.

‘‘It’s an area we will address as a team and as individuals.

‘‘I want the keepers to take pride in clean sheets and have a mentality of not being happy when the opposition score goals.’’

Birighitti, 24, made two appearances in six months at Varese.

Vanstrattan spent a decade in Italy, mainly at Verona, but also spent loan stints at a host of clubs including powerhouse Juventus.

‘‘Mark didn’t play as much as he would have liked in the past six months,’’ Vanstrattan said. ‘‘I have been there and done that.

‘‘The life of a goalkeeper is totally different to a field player, where you can get 15 or 20 minutes here and there.

‘‘As a keeper, you play or you don’t.

‘‘I stressed today the importance of their approach to training, always being ready, never dropping the baton ... you never know when your chance will come.

‘‘To give themselves the best opportunity, and to best serve the team, we need both of them ready and really peaking when they need to be.

‘‘That is one thing that holds me in good stead as a coach, I have been through all the different situations that a goalkeeper will go through.

‘‘Through their body language I can see how they are and what they are going through.

‘‘I spent 10 years in what I believe is one of the best countries tactically and technically. It is a a great goalkeeper school in terms of education.

‘‘I’m in regular contact with my former coaches to get ideas and bounce things off.’’

Initially recruited by former coach Phil Stubbins, Vanstrattan said every coach has ‘‘their own methods’’.

‘‘I’m looking forward to having the pre-season to really plan what we are going to work on,’’ he said. ‘‘From my first meeting with Scott Miller and JP [de Marigny] it was really good.

‘‘What I love is where they are setting the bar for everybody.

‘‘This is professional football and a results driven game.

‘‘Everyone has to be accountable. It is an exciting environment to come back in to.’’
    The bolded part can't be good news for BK. I've heard him described as one of the worst trainers out there, always looking disinterested.
    OK

From The Herald

The bolded part can't be good news for BK. I've heard him described as one of the worst trainers out there, always looking disinterested.
    I wasn't aware Hutcho attended Jets training sessions ? Anyway.

Choosing players based on how enthusuastic they are at training certainly didn't work for GVE or Stubbins.

The way Birraz jumps around during a match could be seen as enthusiasm by some and as plain and simply bat shit crazy by others.

BK's laid back nature could be viewed as laziness or indeed it could translate to someone that is calm under pressure.

Either way, which ever keeper gets the job I'm certain that clean sheets will be rare as rocking horse poo.

From The Herald

Gees mate, if we are purely picking players on enthusiasm then your best gypo mate Sainsbury would never get a look in.

‘‘If you look at any league in the world, the teams at the top have conceded fewer goals,’’ Vanstrattan said.
    Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you part of our new 'brains trust'.

Jesus ****ing Christ this club is the worst.

From The Herald

As opposed to not being fazed when letting one in from 40yards?

ive heard the same about Birraz.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you part of our new 'brains trust'.

Jesus ****ing Christ this club is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    ive heard the same about Birraz.
    This is interesting, if legit. I've only ever heard glowing reviews of Biraz from peiple who have trained with him. And only seen similar when watching trainings myself.

For those interested in "Micky" Bridges commentating on the Adelaide game last night, talking about how Craig Goodwin used to practice after training on his corners and free kicks. I saw him do it at least 3 different trainings. It was great to watch. And every single time, BK was first keeper in the showers whereas Biraz was out with Craig trying to save his shots and crosses.
    OK

just go and marry him ffs

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    Standing at the altar in dat jade jersey
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    Why wouldn't you marry him? He's a keeper