Page 41 of 79 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: The endless (and probably pointless) GK debate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    I agree with what most of what you wrote except for the bit comparing Kantas tackle and Smeltzs tackle

Kantas tackle worse case scenario is old mate he attempted to hack has ACL badly broken legs/ankles and may never play again

Smeltzs tackle worse case scenario is a kick to the head could have been fatal to Birraz

To me Birraz got off pretty well with stitches claret missing teeth etc. Broken Jaw Cheekbones Eye Sockets could have happened easily let alone other conditions that can occur due to blows to a human head

Reality is the potential severity of injury was far greater in Smeltzs tackle than in Kantas
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/artic...ighitti-injury

But what about Smeltz? Won't someone please think of him..
    He is upset from the challenge.. And his head just isn't in the game at the moment..
    Oh the humanity...

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/artic...ighitti-injury

But what about Smeltz? Won't someone please think of him..
    He is upset from the challenge.. And his head just isn't in the game at the moment..
    Oh the humanity...
    How dare birraz put Smeltz through this kind of trauma!

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    I agree with what most of what you wrote except for the bit comparing Kantas tackle and Smeltzs tackle

Kantas tackle worse case scenario is old mate he attempted to hack has ACL badly broken legs/ankles and may never play again

Smeltzs tackle worse case scenario is a kick to the head could have been fatal to Birraz

To me Birraz got off pretty well with stitches claret missing teeth etc. Broken Jaw Cheekbones Eye Sockets could have happened easily let alone other conditions that can occur due to blows to a human head

Reality is the potential severity of injury was far greater in Smeltzs tackle than in Kantas
    Fair comment Member and good observation, a kick to the head can cause death while a kick to the legs like you said can ruin a career....big difference.

How was it dealt with on the field?
    No free kick?
    It was a drop ball. So what they are saying is that that kind of tackle Is ok and does not even warrant a free kick?
    I think it was a pretty 50/50 ball to go for. But the way he went in was reckless. Or penalise birraz for putting his head in a dangerous position... Birraz to be suspended for weeks.

Banned
    BATTERED but not broken, Jets goalkeeper Mark Birighitti hopes to play against A-League champions Melbourne Victory at Hunter Stadium on Friday night.

Birighitti had four teeth dislodged – two of which are believed to be buried in the turf at Turton Road – and required more than 40 stitches in his mouth and lip after being kicked in the face by Sydney FC striker Shane Smeltz in a drama-charged 1-0 loss to the Sky Blues on Saturday night.

Smeltz has been widely condemned for not pulling out of the challenge as Birighitti slid along the ground to grab a through ball.

See your ad here
    But the Kiwi has escaped further scrutiny after referee Peter Green confirmed on Monday that he viewed the incident and deemed it accidental.

Birighitti had two teeth reinserted on Monday and will have further dental work on Wednesday.

‘‘I was worried at the start that there might be structural damage, but fortunately that is not the case,’’ said Birighitti, whose mother flew in from Perth on Monday to aid his recovery.

‘‘Certainly it could have been much worse.

‘‘My lip is swollen but I’m not in any pain which is a good sign.

‘‘I had a chat with the gaffer (Scott Miller) this morning and will sit down tomorrow with [goalkeeping coach] Jesse Vanstrattan and Justin Dougherty, the physio, and see where we are at.

‘‘I’m hoping to do modified sessions throughout the week.

‘‘I’m not ruling myself out for Friday night.

‘‘I’m keen to get back out there as soon as possible.

‘‘I want to do it for the players and the club itself, the club is heading in the right direction.

‘‘Also the reception I got from the fans coming off the field [on Saturday] was amazing.

‘‘Since then I have received a lot of support on social media.

‘‘I definitely want to give something back to them as well.’’

Ben Kennedy replaced Birighitti against Sydney and will start in goals on Friday if the 24-year-old is not cleared.

Under FIFA regulations, the Smeltz challenge could not be referred to the A-League Match Review Panel for investigation because it had been dealt with on field, much to the frustration of Birighitti.

‘‘That is what the match review panel should be there for; to overrule decisions, have a look at decisions and make a clear outcome,’’ Birighitti said.

‘‘It was a pretty nasty injury. ‘‘I’ve looked back at the incident numerous times.

‘‘Seeing some of the photos; teeth hanging out of my beard, to see my lip ... it was a mess.

‘‘He could have done a little bit better. He didn’t have to go in the way he did.

‘‘Clearly the ball was in my hands and he has seen me coming. Looking at footage it is like he left his foot in there.

‘‘It was kind of a cheap shot.’’

Asked if he felt anger towards Smeltz, Birighitti said ‘‘No, not at all.’’

‘‘He got in contact with me on Sunday. We had a good chat.

‘‘He wanted to let me know he didn’t do it intentionally and that it was an accident.

‘‘I’m not one to hold grudges. I know Smeltzy well off the field. Even though he could have done a little bit better, we have ended on good terms.’’

Jets chief executive David Eland, though disappointed at the incident, said the club had no choice but to move on.

‘‘Clearly the team, the club and the fans are very upset that Mark was so badly injured,’’ Eland said.

‘‘I think we have every right to seek a response. The referee has done that.

‘‘He made it clear that he saw the incident and deemed that it was accidental so we will get on with it.

‘‘There is no avenue for appeal.

‘‘Ultimately we respect Peter Green’s decision. He has a difficult job. He is called upon to make decisions in split seconds.

‘‘It is now our focus to support Mark in his rehabilitation from the injuries he sustained on Saturday, and hope that no players in the Hyundai A-League suffer injuries of this ilk in the future.”

It was the second time Birighitti had been badly injured by an opposition striker.

He suffered a fractured cheekbone and eye socket when he was accidentally kneed in the head by Wellington striker Jeremy Brockie in 2012. It was expected that he would be sidelined for six games but returned after four.

‘‘I’m very lucky that it isn’t as bad as the first injury I had,’’ Birighitti said.

‘‘It won’t change the mentality on how I keep in goals.

‘‘When I come back I will be doing exactly the same thing; diving at players’ feet,’’ Birighitti said.

‘‘If it is going prevent a goal, I will do it.’’

Mark Birighitti has returned to training with the Jets just days after his horror injury as he pushes to return against Melbourne Victory on Friday.

Birighitti trained with the team on Tuesday morning, conducting a low-impact session including cardio and agility drills.

**** I hope he plays Friday and some twat don't rule him out for some ****ing ridiculous precautionary reason.

Bloke is fazed and becoming more and more Newy everyday.

Dude, if a medical professional recommends he sits this one out I'd be listening to them.

Of course the bloke wants to play, and that is exactly the reaction we want from him. But to potentially ignore professional advice is just dumb

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    In the mean time, Birraz is out of surgery and will make a full recovery..... But first port of call is Shane smeltz' children's nightmares......

Check it out..
    It seems McBreen checks out the foz too and enjoys your work Gaz.. Or is it just coincidence that he posted it a few hours after you?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/artic...irighitti-case

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    a kick to the head can cause death while a kick to the legs like you said can ruin a career....big difference.
    You guys are really onto something here.
    And seeing as though more players die from heart attacks on the pitch than kicks to the head each year we should cut their hearts out before they play to avoid any tragedies.

Mark Bridge is already cleared to play.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    Dude, if a medical professional recommends he sits this one out I'd be listening to them.

Of course the bloke wants to play, and that is exactly the reaction we want from him. But to potentially ignore professional advice is just dumb
    Professional advice??

Wouldn't have a bar of these blokes opinions anyway. They are so called experts
    Ex >> As in has been or never was
    Spert >> As in drips under pressure

If the man Birraz says he can play then he can.
    If he cops another blow to his face then so be it.

If he has the balls to front up and risk it then that is good enough for me. It is also the sort of attitude we should be encouraging in our club not the pansy arse when the going gets tough quitting attitude we seem to want to embrace

Out of curiosity who was the bloke who ran out and treated him the other day and didn't have any gloves on for an injury involving blood??

Very un professional that to have someone offering medical treatment without stock standard safety equipment on

I'm not going to stop trying until I see you smile Mitchy's Avatar
    Novocastria Youth

Few pics on the herald website show both without gloves. Appears physio puts gloves on after realising there is blood. Looks like the doctor did not. There's a photo of the doctor with his hands in his mouth with no gloves.

Obviously a concerning breech of PPE.

But can understand why. Physios primary role in sokkah injuries is to squirt some magic water on them and do a few magic stretches. Can't really fault him, assessed the situation, blood, ok gloves on.
    The doctor is a bit of a concern. Being a medical Professional as such, he probably has a bit more knowledge on the matter and for whatever reason has decided not to wear gloves.
    Agreed not a good look, but are you qualified to argue with him?

Qualified???

Basic first aid courses tell you to protect yourself and your patient by avoiding contact with bodily fluids.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Seriously though it would be common sense to give smeltz a week out for kicking someone in the face so hard that he removed three teeth from Biraz's head and ****ed his face up.

Like, there's competitive and then there's just being a grub. Sure the ball "was there" to be won, but Biraz was clearly going to claim it first and he was at risk of being inured from any contact let alone a full swinging boot.

It's not easy to knock someone's teeth out; I know from personal experience. It wasn't like he poked his foot at the ball to try and dink it over Biraz; it was a full blooded kick to an area that had someone's face in it.

Absolute disgrace that he wasn't suspended, all bias aside. Gotta wonder what the pundits are thinking, especially when they talk about Kanta being lucky to stay on the field. For once Bozza actually seems like the most sane of the lot.

Of course there was no way Smeltz was going to be suspended given it's derby week in Sydney.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Has it been pointed out Bozza was a keeper, so if we're labelling the outfielders for bias but agreeing with Bozza....you get what I'm saying?

I agree with Bozza for the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Seriously though it would be common sense to give smeltz a week out for kicking someone in the face so hard that he removed three teeth from Biraz's head and ****ed his face up.

Like, there's competitive and then there's just being a grub. Sure the ball "was there" to be won, but Biraz was clearly going to claim it first and he was at risk of being inured from any contact let alone a full swinging boot.

It's not easy to knock someone's teeth out; I know from personal experience. It wasn't like he poked his foot at the ball to try and dink it over Biraz; it was a full blooded kick to an area that had someone's face in it.

Absolute disgrace that he wasn't suspended, all bias aside. Gotta wonder what the pundits are thinking, especially when they talk about Kanta being lucky to stay on the field. For once Bozza actually seems like the most sane of the lot.

Of course there was no way Smeltz was going to be suspended given it's derby week in Sydney.
    i know hey, the ball is nowhere near where smeltz ends up, it's horrific

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post

"For once Bozza actually seems like the most sane of the lot".....don't always agree with Bozza but generally he gets it right. Usually says it how he sees it and is not agenda-driven like some of the others.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    on a different note, does anyone remember if Smeltz missed that one-on-one before or after the incident?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Qualified???

Basic first aid courses tell you to protect yourself and your patient by avoiding contact with bodily fluids.
    As someone who has to endure the things you are bang on.

Over the 15 years or so I have had to do them the onus on protecting yourself from injury has gone through the roof.

One thing that sticks with you from them is to protect yourself at all times from possible dangers. Then to protect your patient second.

Old mate with his hand in Birraz's mouth is besides providing risk to himself from bodily fluid is not treating his patient well as he is exposing him to infection bacteria etc from his hands.

Myeh, going to a course is one thing. Real life situations is another. You gonna pop some gloves on when your kid had a nose bleed? Strawmans argument and all that...
    I agree, in this situation, given the role of guy, he should be chucking some gloves on, they always wear gloves in the EPL. Disagree with the blanket, "no gloves no touch". They are precautions.

Out of curiosity, what are the risks to the doctor in this situation? Gloves vs no gloves? Think it's best left to the Doctor/probably more qualified than 99% of the foz guy.

The gloves aren't sterile.