Page 59 of 79 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1567

Thread: The endless (and probably pointless) GK debate thread.

I was getting bad advice and I got carried away with my own importance and thought I was better than what I was.
    Well done Birraz for being man enough to admit something that some of your fanbois insisted on papering over.

Will be a better person for it.

Article today suggests Miller will run with BK as no. 1 and get a younger play as 2 to develop. Also mentioned that it makes financial sense too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Article today suggests Miller will run with BK as no. 1 and get a younger play as 2 to develop. Also mentioned that it makes financial sense too.
    Of course it does. Having a bloke like BK riding the pine as your No2 on his wages is pointless.

He is either the No1 or shouldn't be at the club

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Needing to sign 3 x u20's forces his hand in recruiting a younger player.

But if you look at the list of Australian players abroad there is an abundance of young goalkeepers at u18 and u21 level. Losing our No 1 is a good opportunity to recruit one of the keepers with the prospect of first team football.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Needing to sign 3 x u20's forces his hand in recruiting a younger player.

But if you look at the list of Australian players abroad there is an abundance of young goalkeepers at u18 and u21 level. Losing our No 1 is a good opportunity to recruit one of the keepers with the prospect of first team football.
    Australian GKs have always been sought after products. There will be someone out there good enough to produce at a-league level. Good decision by miller here

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    "I was getting bad advice and I got carried away with my own importance and thought I was better than what I was."

Well done Birraz for being man enough to admit something that some of your fanbois insisted on papering over.

Will be a better person for it.
    Think his use of the past tense there is a bit premature though...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Banned
    Mods Change thread title

Needs a tribute to Birraz still being Champion and vacating the title

I gonna say I am surprised Duncan came back here.

Like getting back together with your ex a few years later

Just a dumb move

The only reason I can see why he has come back here is either Millertime has given him a guarantee he is No1 or he is been told it is up for grabs and he is 100% confident that he will beat BK

It just makes no sense for him to come here at his stage of his career to be a No2

Anyway I on the Duncan bandwagon

Bk Forever the bridemaid

Im gonna have to be team BK done nothing wrong except have a amazing birraz in front of him
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

BK to take his rightful place as undisputed numero uno guardian between the sticks. JD to be used as cannon fodder during practice like all good seconds who know their place = correct pecking order...

Perf probably only wanted us to sign him so we could develop him to some day go back to them under their 'all locals are salary-cap free' ruling (him and Birraz)...

Does it not make sense to have two keepers fighting for a shirt?
    Good move...if he is good enough he'll get the goodies.
    Will be an important season for BK as well. Now the trauma of his mothers condition is behind him (may she rest in peace), the opportunity is there to nail ot once and for all.

Does it not make sense to have two keepers fighting for a shirt?
    I'd rather one exceptionally good keeper and a backup that was adequate. This situation could have two keepers of similar ability more worried about beating each other than they are about being part of a team.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-06-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I'd rather one exceptionally good keeper and a backup that was adequate. This situation could have two keepers of similar ability more worried about beating each other than they are about being part of a team.
    Do we not want players worried about losing there spot to someone else if they dont perform. Sounds like that is what we have at GK same as last year which is fantastic
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Do we not want players worried about losing there spot to someone else if they dont perform. Sounds like that is what we have at GK same as last year which is fantastic
    No. Stressing players out / making them worry is not a proven method of increasing performance in athletes or any workers for that matter.

You usually end up with people merely showing up to get a pay check or not giving a flying **** about outcomes.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-06-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Which is what would happen to a GK who has no expectations of playing. Poor performers in the workplace often hide and collect the paycheck by relying on overall team performance to cover their ills.

If BK breaks a leg then sure you can get a replacement...but what if he lets three goals through his legs in the first match? He would have to be dropped.

In this day and age you should have two equals for each position. If someone is going to sook around you don't want them anyway.

Which is what would happen to a GK who has no expectations of playing. Poor performers in the workplace often hide and collect the paycheck by relying on overall team performance to cover their ills.

If BK breaks a leg then sure you can get a replacement...but what if he lets three goals through his legs in the first match? He would have to be dropped.

In this day and age you should have two equals for each position. If someone is going to sook around you don't want them anyway.
    If two players are of equal ability and they both give their best then the decision of who plays is not based on their own performance. It is based on either the perception of a third party or more likely than that politics / managers doing deals behind closed doors / how marketable they are... and so on.
    Therefore, in this situation both players would feel they should be starting and yet one of them won't be and through no fault of their own.
    If that's your idea of promoting team harmony all the best to you.
    F1 Racing is a prime example of how your strategy simply does not work.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-06-2016 at 11:12 AM.

The GK spot in unique in that sense.
    Mostly due to it being a full 90minute position and little tactical fluctuation in influencing who gets the gig.

Most clubs around the world have a definite #1 and a number of understudies who can perform at the level required to keep the number1 on their toes.... It more important to have the understudies aware of and content with the situation.

I hope whoever gets the starting spot is pushed by whoever doesn't, but that who ever gets the bench spot is happy enough to not cause discontent amongst the group.

It's a tight little clique amongst keepers as they spend so much time together in small groups.
    Jvs clearly managed to work both guys well last season, hope he can do the same again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Banned

Two equals in each position??

Who's Victrees equal of Berisha??

Who's Hearts equal of Mooy??

Like **** you have two equals.

You splurge on your no1
    Your no 2 gets paid peanuts and is expected to chip in from time to time.

I have no problem if BK was the No2 to Birraz as long as he was being paid appropriate wages.

Problem is we were paying our back up more of our salary cap than needed.

Problem I have with Duncan and BK as our keepers unless Duncan has improved significantly since he was here last we now have 2 No2s and no No1 keeper.

We will have gone backwards as we were better stocked last season

I would say that, perhaps, due to BK's proposed wages that a truly recognized no 1 was going to yet again assume more of the salary cap space. Hence why he probably has gone for someone a little younger, someone who perhaps understands Newcastle and thus representing more of a "bang for buck" scenario for Miller.

Perhaps the grand scheme is to have Duncan as the dedicated no 2 (on more modest wages) and move BK on at the end of this season?

Can someone post BK and Duncan's Football Manager Stats please.