Page 67 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1567

Thread: The endless (and probably pointless) GK debate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Covic all the way. We need the most experienced option we can find at such short notice, especially with young players like Jackson, Cowburn and Vujica playing regularly. The 'long-term' notion is rubbish. If the kid is any good he'll be gone within a season or two anyway.
    But this is what we need.

We need to be a selling club to compete. Think of the juicy transfer fees $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Are we sure Glover isn't second string material? What has he done to prove he's a first string keeper? God only knows our under 19s aren't producing the goods, being selected at that level isn't a recommendation...
    IM a Spurs supporter so know a little of Glover.
    Has played a bit of 23's and is seen as a really good future prospect at Spurs.
    I very much doubt this translates to A-League regular at 19 however, so if we signed him it would be planned for him to be 2nd string for a couple of years before taking the mantle.

So basically it would be Covic for now or Glover for the future.

I thought it was Glover on loan, not Glover as long term?

Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    I very much doubt this translates to A-League regular at 19 however, so if we signed him it would be planned for him to be 2nd string for a couple of years before taking the mantle.

Let's go for the future. That's all we ever do

Awesome. Jets can sink a few hundred thousand into him, get him some game time, and have him ready for SFC or Melb City for next season..

Can we get rid of BK and JD and replace with Covic and Glover? Man I'm a thinker.

Glover is the better keeper today. Covic best years have past him by. If we can't get a quality keeper like Glover then fall back on Covic.....otherwise there should be no discussion.

Just because he is 19 should make no didference and should come down to who is the better keeper. Hands down it's not Covic. It's like no one watched Covic play last year. Perth dumped him for good reason

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Glover is the better keeper today. Covic best years have past him by. If we can't get a quality keeper like Glover then fall back on Covic.....otherwise there should be no discussion.

Just because he is 19 should make no didference and should come down to who is the better keeper. Hands down it's not Covic. It's like no one watched Covic play last year. Perth dumped him for good reason
    I think a major concern as evident on the weekend is communication. I don't think its talent or ability JD lacks for example but his lack of organisation skills was clearly apparent on the weekend. This is something you know you will get with Covic plus decent ability. This Glover might be a wiz keeper but how does his organisation and communication skills stack up week in week out in a team which he barely knows anyone?
    Just my thoughts

Just because he is 19 should make no difference
    I can speak from experience that once you get past 38 yrs old you can turn to shit athletically pretty much in the blink of an eye. Sometimes it sneaks up on you but usually it hits you like a freight train without any warning. Covic will have either reached this point or be approaching it. No thanks. We have far too much talent available locally and overseas to even bother taking such a risk on Covic.

nail, head etc
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Glover is the better keeper today.
    Is he? (Serious question).
    As I said I follow Spurs but don't watch every u/19 game and haven't seen him play in a professional environment or against anyone other than kids.

Is he? (Serious question).
    As I said I follow Spurs but don't watch every u/19 game and haven't seen him play in a professional environment or against anyone other than kids.
    Because he plays u21 doesn't make him any less of a keeper. I have seen him play on Spurs TV and was playing for the u21 team at the age of 16. His highlights are all through YouTube. Played for the young Socceroos and England have tried to poach him due to English parent I believe. The kid is a gun. Covic is a has been.

Very very few youth players make it to the senior squad for the top 6 EPL clubs. Once Glover is too old to play u21 he will likely be released or loaned out to league 1 or 2 sides. Getting an offer to play in the HAL were your competition has only played a few games would be a great opportunity for him.

It would also allow us to sign an overage season long injury replacement for Alessi

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    I think a major concern as evident on the weekend is communication. I don't think its talent or ability JD lacks for example but his lack of organisation skills was clearly apparent on the weekend. This is something you know you will get with Covic plus decent ability. This Glover might be a wiz keeper but how does his organisation and communication skills stack up week in week out in a team which he barely knows anyone?
    Just my thoughts
    Covic communication will be great whilst he stands prone watching the ball hit the back of our net. Watch some Perth 15/16 and you will see he isn't a shadow on what he was just 2-3 years ago

Because he plays u21 doesn't make him any less of a keeper. I have seen him play on Spurs TV and was playing for the u21 team at the age of 16. His highlights are all through YouTube. Played for the young Socceroos and England have tried to poach him due to English parent I believe. The kid is a gun. Covic is a has been.

Very very few youth players make it to the senior squad for the top 6 EPL clubs. Once Glover is too old to play u21 he will likely be released or loaned out to league 1 or 2 sides. Getting an offer to play in the HAL were your competition has only played a few games would be a great opportunity for him.

It would also allow us to sign an overage season long injury replacement for Alessi
    With that point alone I am starting to turn to the idea.

I would have predicted this would have been a Covic In thread but it's surprised me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I'd rather go the young fella myself. It'll just mean though that people will need to be expecting similar misunderstandings, or hesitation etc from him that we saw on the weekend. But I think for any goals we may concede due to that fact I think he's likely to make up for it and some with superior athleticism / technical ability.

People saying what's the point of signing him if he's only here for a couple years, what's the point of signing anyone? Most players aren't career club men anymore, and if he gives us a couple of good seasons and makes a move back overseas isn't that a win all round?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd rather go the young fella myself. It'll just mean though that people will need to be expecting similar misunderstandings, or hesitation etc from him that we saw on the weekend. But I think for any goals we may concede due to that fact I think he's likely to make up for it and some with superior athleticism / technical ability.

People saying what's the point of signing him if he's only here for a couple years, what's the point of signing anyone? Most players aren't career club men anymore, and if he gives us a couple of good seasons and makes a move back overseas isn't that a win all round?
    I am happy to sign Glover, provided it is a release from Spurs and we sign him to a 3-4 year deal. I would rather have Covic who may having waning skills but will be the best in the comp for marshaling the defense and communication than getting Glover on loan.

Nah too big a risk to sign Glover, we would probably be the first club in the history of the A-League (and probably the NSL) that essentially has two rookie keepers on their books. Borat can rave on about him but the bottom line is.....he is unproven at this level, period.

What's the contract status of BK & JD? I thought BK had one year left. This talk about long-term would suggest the club are done with him. Sad way to go out if that's the case, regardless of which side of the goalposts you stood.

I thought the "long term" was because it likely to be a season long replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Yeah, I took it that way.