Page 68 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1567

Thread: The endless (and probably pointless) GK debate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Nah too big a risk to sign Glover, we would probably be the first club in the history of the A-League (and probably the NSL) that essentially has two rookie keepers on their books. Borat can rave on about him but the bottom line is.....he is unproven at this level, period.
    You seriously think U21 level in the EPL is inferior to the A-League.
    Last edited by borat; 13-10-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    You seriously think U21 level in the EPL is inferior to the A-League.
    I don't know, has an U/21 EPL side ever played an A-League side? The top four sides from last year....Adelaide, WSW, Roar and City would probably have been able to give the weaker EPL sides a decent run for their money, let alone the U/21 sides.

You seem to really rate him Borat, I'd say the fact that the club is considering him probably does indicate that for his age he is definitely a hot prospect for the future. I've been a bit closed-minded on this just because of his age, which is wrong. Maybe the kid is worth a punt, who knows he could be the next Matty Ryan.

I don't know, has an U/21 EPL side ever played an A-League side? The top four sides from last year....Adelaide, WSW, Roar and City would probably have been able to give the weaker EPL sides a decent run for their money, let alone the U/21 sides.
    The hell you talking about stopper? its late, go to bed.

You seem to really rate him Borat, I'd say the fact that the club is considering him probably does indicate that for his age he is definitely a hot prospect for the future. I've been a bit closed-minded on this just because of his age, which is wrong. Maybe the kid is worth a punt, who knows he could be the next Matty Ryan.
    What had Biraz done before setting foot in Newy? Didnt take him long to cement his spot as one of the top 2 keepers in the club. I hope Middleby signs him, and if we can pick up Steve Lustica, we'll be well on the way to fixing this mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    I thought the "long term" was because it likely to be a season long replacement.
    In this case, I'd take short-term to mean the length of the injury. What's the point of signing an injury replacement if he's only here for the half the length of the injury? I took long-term to mean a view to the future.

Jones: β€œHe’d hopefully be a long-term thing, whereas Ante, at his age, is obviously not going to be a 10-year project,’’ Jones said.

Wow just wow. You seriously believe that HAL sides could compete with lower league EPL sides. You realise the wage bill at say Sunderland is 55mil pounds and WBA is 49mil.

There is no comparison. A lower level EPL side would annihilate any HAL team in peak season. It's not a fair fight. Don't let the off season junkets cloud your judgement

Similarly the resources that the top teams put into their youth sides dwarves that of HAL teams. The top U21 sides would walk the HAL imo.

I think Glover is a superior keeper to Covic today, by far.

Of all overseas based Australians, there are huge numbers of goal keepers. And particularly youth goal keepers. Some figure like 17-20 in England/Europe. We seem to produce goalkeepers more than at position. Of those 17-20 Glover is the stand out by far. The one with the rave reviews. If anyone is going to succeed Ryan down the track it's likely to be Glover (given the time when Ryan is likely to retire).

And we have the chance to sign him today.

I see it as a no brainer because if Covic signs, Duncan will be No 1 all season. If Glover signs, Duncan is still going to have the front running but Glover may surprise. You won't get that with Covic

Seriously though, if Tottenham rate him so highly, why the **** would they sell him to us?

Or even if it's a loan, still only get him for a little while, then he'll go on and do better things at another club, like Burns did.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    What's the contract status of BK & JD? I thought BK had one year left. This talk about long-term would suggest the club are done with him. Sad way to go out if that's the case, regardless of which side of the goalposts you stood.
    We are talking about the Jets here. I can see BK getting a 3 year extension and turning up to the presser announcing it in a wheelchair.

I am thinking that if Covic was the club's first choice he would be signed and in the squad for Sunday. The fact it is not done yet makes me think we are wanting Glover and trying to negotiate it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    I am thinking that if Covic was the club's first choice he would be signed and in the squad for Sunday. The fact it is not done yet makes me think we are wanting Glover and trying to negotiate it.
    This is my thinking too. Covic was in town last weekend, I mean if he was the #1 priority you would think the deal would have been done by now.
    Also reading between the lines of Jones' comments the other day it would seem that the club is deep in negotiations with Glover.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Seriously though, if Tottenham rate him so highly, why the **** would they sell him to us?

Or even if it's a loan, still only get him for a little while, then he'll go on and do better things at another club, like Burns did.
    Why does Chelsea loan out a thousand players. Because it's how they develop and potentially pick off the 1% they want later.

Nathan Burns is a poor example considering we refused to sign him. His club in Korea released him to the Nix for nothing.

Hope we looking at Glover cause I don't think Duncan's a long term solution either. Don't trust him atm

Quote Originally Posted by OmeletteDuFromage View Post
    Hope we looking at Glover cause I don't think Duncan's a long term solution either. Don't trust him atm
    for sure. Jack soapyhands Duncan doesnt fill me with confidence

Good fingertip save tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Good fingertip save tonight.
    Yes a great save but still a pretty obvious communication issueat the back

Credit to JD, he had a good game bar dropping a corner - was lucky the Roar players weren't closer.

Save off Oar was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post

Save off Oar was fantastic.
    Absolutely, he covered up well the fact he was so out of position to start with.
    Regulation save for any other keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Absolutely, he covered up well the fact he was so out of position to start with.
    Regulation save for any other keeper.
    Shouldve held it?

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Shouldve held it?
    Duncan should have closed down Oar before he took the shot.

I def feel like he gave away an unnecessary corner.

Missing BK terribly *sniff*......