Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Papas In

He is such a high profile coach with a proven track record?
    Cannot believe tha shit on here.

Papas.....No...

dude just signed for dempo sc in india

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/27250...ue-giants.aspx

Aussie coach Papas signs for I-League giants

By Kathy Stone
    May 27 2013 20:17

RISING Aussie coach Arthur Papas has been snapped up by five-time Indian champions, Dempo SC.

It is understood the club will officially announce a three-year deal with the former Victorian Premier League Coach of the Year within the next 48 hours.
    Papas will move from his base in Calcutta to north Goa where he’ll be responsible for rejuvenating the aging squad which finished a disappointing fifth last season.

The ambitious 32-year-old revealed he’s planning a raid on the A-League ranks to provide the requisite on-field experience for the young players brought in.

Simon Colosimo (Melbourne Heart), Dani Sanchez (Wellington Phoenix) and former Perth Glory striker Billy Mehmet, who has terminated his contract with Bangkok Glass, are among those in his sights.

Papas has enjoyed a successful 12-month introduction to football on the subcontinent since being head-hunted by former Australia Technical Director Rob Baan who took up a similar role in India.

He has won high praise for his work with the youth development squad Pailan Arrows and the nation’s U22 squad, and picked up a nomination for Indian Coach of the Year (awarded to Pune FC’s Derrick Pereira).

But after attracting interest from the I-League’s top clubs the former Newcastle Jets assistant coach says he’s delighted at the prospect of taking the reins at one of the true giants of Indian football.

“Dempo is a really big club in India – it’s one of the most successful clubs in the I-league but they haven’t rejuvenated the club,” he told au.fourfourtwo.com.

“I wanted to get back into club coaching and this club is in a really interesting position. The biggest thing right now is just to assess the squad and bring down to the average age not only for next season but for the seasons ahead as well.

“A lot of (the team) are former international players who’ve been very good for their country but the reality is it’s hard to achieve with an aging squad when you’re playing in such hot conditions.

“The chairman wants me to bring in younger players and lift the professionalism of the whole club.”

The Whites have been crowned I-League champions three times (most recently in 2011-12) and took out the forerunner National Football League twice, but last season saw the family-owned club produce its worst finish in seven years.

Papas says there will be greater investment in the club’s youth set-up but concedes the foreign veterans he’s targeting won’t do much to lower the age of his squad.

“They’re not young but the thing is my Indian players will be and they need to right kind of experienced players around them,” he said.

“If all goes well some of the young players who are in my U22 and Arrows team will come across. I’ll probably look for between four or five players. The main thing is not to bring all of them across because then they don’t all get to play and that’s not doing them any service.”

Alwyn George, the Football Players’ Association of India Young Player of the Year, has already flagged his hope of following Papas if he can engineer a way out of his contract with the Arrows.

“I have learned many a thing from him,” the 21-year-old told goal.com. “He has been a great guide and has helped me on and off the field whenever I faced any problem. I look forward to having him again as my coach sometime in future.”

Papas has been back in his home town of Melbourne for the past two weeks and depending on the format for the new season, which is under review, may not return to India until the second week of July. Then it’s all systems go.

“I’m off the bus which has been travelling nicely and back on the roller coaster of first team football again,” he said. “It’s going to be a good challenge but I’m up for it to be honest.”
    i wonder if gve went to a different club how many of his kids would openly state they want to get out of their contract somehow to follow him

hmm they want to stock up on youth huh......I may know a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BodyNovo View Post
    Papas!!

The man is the bloke to go with
    does his best work making pizza

getting back on the bandwagon now he is coming home.

come the **** on

he's the man to take us out of this shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

getting back on the bandwagon now he is coming home.

come the **** on

he's the man to take us out of this shit.
    What attributes does he have that make you believe this? I know he was previously involved with our youth but I never saw any of their matches.

This is a genuine question, BTW, not a dig/pisstake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    What attributes does he have that make you believe this? I know he was previously involved with our youth but I never saw any of their matches.

He's just spent 3 years in India. Assisted in the rebuild of their national youth system, got nominated for a bunch of awards and spent a season learning under Zico.

And his #1 achievement is not being Stubbins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post

the year he was the youth coach here in the state league. I went to all his games and i am of the opinion that he has both the man management and tactical attributes.

one game in particular standouts (now i know this is a youth game but it was still impressive to what he did). They were playing hamilton olympic and olympic had obviously made the decision that they were going to muscle them out of the game and for 60 minutes they did that and were leading comfortably 1-0.

to compound matters he had jacob pepper sent off. Papas immediately when this happened called connor chapman over, had about a 30 second chat with him, put him straight in the middle of the park and changed the formation around. 30 minutes later youth won 3-1, some of the best coaching i'd ever seen tbh.

also the blokes storyline is very "newy".

i could find the article, but its along the lines of he went to the AIS asked for a job and they laughed at him and told him that he was way off the minimum required standards. 4 years later he had a degree, highest coaching badges, took a VPL side to a GF, etc.

If they wanted to take a risk on someone when they went with stubbins they should have picked this bloke because his football apprenticeship has been excellent plus he now has 3 years experience in another culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

the year he was the youth coach here in the state league. I went to all his games and i am of the opinion that he has both the man management and tactical attributes.

one game in particular standouts (now i know this is a youth game but it was still impressive to what he did). They were playing hamilton olympic and olympic had obviously made the decision that they were going to muscle them out of the game and for 60 minutes they did that and were leading comfortably 1-0.

to compound matters he had jacob pepper sent off. Papas immediately when this happened called connor chapman over, had about a 30 second chat with him, put him straight in the middle of the park and changed the formation around. 30 minutes later youth won 3-1, some of the best coaching i'd ever seen tbh.

i could find the article, but its along the lines of he went to the AIS asked for a job and they laughed at him and told him that he was way off the minimum required standards. 4 years later he had a degree, highest coaching badges, took a VPL side to a GF, etc.

If they wanted to take a risk on someone when they went with stubbins they should have picked this bloke because his football apprenticeship has been excellent plus he now has 3 years experience in another culture.
    Plus more importantly HE IS NOT STUBBINS!

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Papas sounds like a really good manager

so why the haemorrhaging fúck would want he to come to the Jets?

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    Papas sounds like a really good manager

so why the haemorrhaging fúck would want he to come to the Jets?
    Massive potential.

Sounds impressive. Thanks.

Can we tweet this to the club?
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

He's just spent 3 years in India. Assisted in the rebuild of their national youth system, got nominated for a bunch of awards and spent a season learning under Zico.

And his #1 achievement is not being Stubbins.
    He left as assistant to Zico not that long into the season.
    He got alot of blame from fans of the club

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    if he's so good why was he coaching in india?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    there are 12 senior professional coaching positions in Australia and there are many good coaches who don't have the experience to get a job so they head overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    the money at Dempo wouldn't have been that great. He wanted opportunities to coach professionally and overseas was the only way.

Hey guys just reading today about Mike Mulvey coaching 2nd div in Malaysia having to put up with El Hadj Djiof.
    Looking forward to Stubbins moving all that horseshit forward tho.

Cheers,
    Plague.

If only we hired Mulvey