Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drugs and gambling in sport

i'm concerned about the repercussions this will have for everytime i jokingly say "the fix is in" and reference asian betting syndicates.

clearly there are no performance enhancing drugs being used in the a-league, have you ever sat through a ****ing game? jeez.

^ lol. indeed.

I'm not particularly concerned about Essendon, I think it's a storm in a teacup and an investigation will clear the players. It does open up a window for the average joe to see what sports science gets up to behind closed doors though - injecting vitamins etc to aid recovery. Not sure if it was mentioned this morning but Matt Orford (NRL) was injected with blood from a baby cow to assist recovery from a groin injury a few years ago. some weird shit goes on behind closed doors.

Going by the selections at the Jets of late maybe GVE is wrapped up with the Asian crime mob and match fixing

Didn't Hleb or some Arsenal player have cow placenta inserted into a muscle tear a few years back as well?

Crazy stuff.

Horse placenta is used a lot.
    The wrap injured ankles in it.
    Teh Dutch are into in a big way.
    Van Persie fixed his ankle a few years back using it.
    While at PSV Van Nistlerooy is reported to have wrapped his face in it while sleeping. No side effects at all apparently.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar

ch10 news mentioned that Knights were among a bunch of clubs being investigated internally by the NRL

David Gallop was briefly shown saying that "football wasnt mentioned in these reports but we stand behind the measures that need to be taken"
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

It was Joe the Cameraman
    Jaliens gives me the horn

What's the big deal? I don't know the effects of these drugs all that well, do they effect the players bodies badly?

Banned
    Biggest drama for OUR game will be if the rumoured drug issues surrounding Barcelona prove true.

What would happen to all the titles they have won and Spain's success on international front???

Would really pale into insignificance Lance Armstrongs TDF issues

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Biggest drama for OUR game will be if the rumoured drug issues surrounding Barcelona

The only drama with that is how the **** are the entire first team squad going to fit on Oprahs couch?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post
    What's the big deal? I don't know the effects of these drugs all that well, do they effect the players bodies badly?

Well, some of the substances that have allegedly been used aren't approved for use in people.

Would you let someone give them to you to take ?

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Well, some of the substances that have allegedly been used aren't approved for use in people.

Would you let someone give them to you to take ?
    I guess some people would rather sacrifice their long term health than sacrifice their short term career.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    I guess some people would rather sacrifice their long term health than sacrifice their short term career.
    Maybe they should ask Flo-Jo how that worked out for her

Quote Originally Posted by sh10 View Post
    Not sure if it was mentioned this morning but Matt Orford (NRL) was injected with blood from a baby cow to assist recovery from a groin injury a few years ago.
    Into his calf no doubt...
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Isnt cheating just another word for "playing better then the rest"?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Biggest drama for OUR game will be if the rumoured drug issues surrounding Barcelona prove true.

What would happen to all the titles they have won and Spain's success on international front???

If this turns out to be true Craig Foster will top himself !

Agree with what GVE that most drugs are to build bulk and is more unlikely in football - the recovery sort of stuff is more likely.

I say check out Gosford with its links.......

Herald: Leaders quash fears of drug use among Hunter athletes

LEADERS of the Hunter's football codes do not believe players in local competitions are using performance-enhancing substances despite the Australian Crime Commission's report stating "sub-elite athletes" are doping and are considered a high-risk group for the practice.
    See your ad here

Newcastle Rugby League general manager John Fahey, Northern NSW Football chief executive David Eland and Newcastle and Hunter Rugby Union president Phil Payne spoke to the Newcastle Herald after the ACC's report was released.

Black Diamond AFL football operations manager Garry Burkinshaw said he could not comment because of a directive from the code's hierarchy.

The ACC report said sub-elite athletes were a high-risk group for doping because of the "highly competitive environment in attaining a position in elite sport; and the ability to make significant gains in strength and power through the use of PIEDs [performance- and image-enhancing drugs]".

It said peptides and hormones were being used at the sub-elite level in a number of sporting codes and were easily obtained by motivated athletes.

Fahey, Eland and Payne said drug testing was not carried out at top local levels because of the costs involved. There is also no drug testing in the BDAFL.

The absence of testing means no one is sure about the use of performance-enhancing drugs in Hunter sport, but the trio of leaders who spoke to the Herald doubt it occurs.

The Newcastle Rugby League threatened clubs with drug tests in 2001 after concerns the practice was rife, but no tests were conducted.

Fahey said he "never heard even any whispers" of performance-enhancing drugs being used during his time in charge.

"But obviously it's hard to pinpoint from the situation we are in."

He said the Newcastle competition would be in "uncharted territory" if doping was uncovered, but sanctions would be handled by the Country Rugby League.

Asked if the scandal would affect participation levels in Newcastle, Fahey said: "It's how sport reacts as a whole to this that's going to be critical.

"If action is swift, and it appears as though it's going to be, you make sure all your ducks are in a row in relation to this so that we can move in a positive manner."

Eland was confident Hunter soccer was free of the drug use outlined in the ACC report.

"I would be extremely surprised if there was any drug use among our players, and I have never heard even a whisper of anything in that regard," he said.

"I would never have given it a second thought before today."

Eland said motivation to cheat in the pursuit of elite positions was only a minor factor in the Northern NSW State League because only a small percentage of players would still have aspirations to play professionally.

He said any player found doping would probably be punished under Football Federation Australia's code of conduct.

He believed the report would not damage soccer participation levels in Northern NSW.

"Our registrations are so far removed from this issue, I don't believe it will have any impact on grassroots participation," he said.

The NHRU has experience with performance-enhancing drugs from a case involving former Waratahs prop Luke Troy in 2009.

Troy was banned for two years after Australian Customs and the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority found he had ordered two types of steroids over the internet in 2006.

Payne believed it was an isolated incident in Hunter rugby.

"Nothing else has come across our desk other than that Luke Troy incident," he said.

"I would have to say it is extremely doubtful that there is drug use, but you never know. I think it would be highly unlikely."

He said in signing registration forms, rugby players gave permission to be drug tested, although these were not carried out.

Any player found doping would be punished by the World Anti-Doping Authority, he said.
    See your ad here

He believed it was extremely doubtful the ACC report would have an impact on rugby registration numbers.

Hunter Academy of Sport chief executive Ken Clifford said his organisation had no direct experience of drug cheating in its 24-year history.

"We've been on the case for 20 years," Clifford said.

"We have not had direct experience with it and I doubt, from my experience, whether there is a lot going on at the junior or development level of sport."
    Anyone have any opinion on this?

Surely it is naive to think that the NBN state league is totally clean. Be it performance enhancing drugs or party drugs, no sport is clean.