Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Regz= newy hero

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Would agree there WLG.I severely doubt any of these so called squaddies are on the minimum wage or even close to it
    Thinking about it some more, how long have BK, Regan and Pepper been at the club? BK 6 years, Regan 5, Pepper 4? Or something like that? Sure, they more than likely were on minimum wage to begin with. But when you see the likes of Jesic, etc being put on 130k by Branko, and take into account inflation, and take into account length of service, bump-ups for captaincy and milestone appearances, contract-renewal bonuses, and think about the fact that potentially some years the lower-end players' contracts were bumped up so we met a certain minimum-cap-usage or something like that. If the likes of BK, Regan & Pepper aren't all on at least 80k by now (what, 25k above minimum for a senior?) I'll be extremely surprised. Hell, if they're each on less than 100k I'll be surprised tbh.

And that's nothing agaisnt those three personally - that's just the nature of the workforce, in my attempted-sensical-thinking.
    OK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Blokes you haven't put shit on:
    1. Griff.
    2. Biraz
    3. Alex Wilkinson.

That's it.

Everyone else has copped a spray and you've been right about 95% of them.

The 5% being Tarek Elrich.
    Suck eggs pal.
    Watch the first 20 mins of Smurfs V Adelaide Semi again

Dead set State League player

Watch the first 20 mins of Smurfs V Adelaide Semi again

Dead set State League player
    I will always enjoy the fact that of all the things that you were wrong about, this will be the topic that you were the wrongerest.

By the way if I remember correctly he is the bloke that we first argued over all those years ago.

Told you back then I'm always right, and gladly nothing's changed.

From what I've heard, Regan was on well and truly more than 100k...

ok not sure if your post was aimed at me but these quotes are the exact reason why you need the likes of regans in your squad.

we cant fill it with 23 top line players.
    we wont survive with 23 untested kids.

we need good kids, we need top players, but with the salary cap the way it is we need cheap reliable players who can do a job.
    you said it yourself.

now if theres someone better out there we are signing for the same price or cheaper then great. but i dont think theres anyone on here who thinks we are unearthing an ansel, jeggo or georgeski.

another thing is to consider how well these ex players of ours have gone on to other clubs to become good cheap reliable players who can do a job.

maybe coaching has more to do with it.
    Wasn't a shot at you mate, just a general response. I've had this same convo with several jets fans.

This is nothing against reegs, its just the way the cards landed with contracts. While I agree we need some of these players, we are already stuck with several to tide us over.

From the squad list thread (apologies if out of date)

1. Mark Birighitti - 15/16 - wasted squad spot really
    2. Scott Neville - 15/16 - young squaddie who has done alright
    5. Ben Kantarovski - 15/16 - another squaddie, not great but is contracted... Would prefer reegz, but again, cards fell that way
    15. Josh Baressi - 15/16 - young, contracted, will need time to develop but can probably slot in as a squaddie
    16. Jacob Pepper - 15/16 - definite squaddie and contracted
    19. Mitch Cooper - 16/17 - has potential to be good with coaching, and also, contracted
    20. Ben Kennedy - 16/17- epitome of squaddie, not going anywhere, appeases the newy thru and thru crowd
    23. David Carney - 15/16 - contracted, hoping a long benching has sparked some fire as I felt he was lazy and lacking.

Based on this we already have 5-7 squad players who are good enough or have shown some potential (kanta maybe being a slight exception as he has had a shit ton of chances). I think with a clean slate we should be able to get at least 6-8 players who are first team and have some quality as well as the 4 or so not mentioned already signed. That puts us at about 18, add a marquee and that leaves about 4 spots to bring in a few other cheaper squaddies who have sparked as well as promote some talented youth based on their youth season performance.

Signing reegz or virgilli is just making our squad top heavy on average for another season.

Let them go, if we end the season and they've shown promise and are up for grabs, scoop them back up and turf the guys who are contracted this year and don't fire.
    Last edited by Scourge; 25-05-2015 at 07:32 PM.

The only thing that comforts me by getting rid of Regan is if they intend on using Kanta as a back up centre back and bring someone new into his midfield role.
    If that's the plan then there isn't any room to Regan.

But most on here have been saying that for years and the coaches have given it nowt thought.

The only thing that comforts me by getting rid of Regan is if they intend on using Kanta as a back up centre back and bring someone new into his midfield role.
    If that's the plan then there isn't any room to Regan.

But most on here have been saying that for years and the coaches have given it nowt thought.
    Honestly, if this happens I'm fine with Regan being gone and would even be asking for Pepper to leave at that point.

Kanta's the most versatile, has the most potential and right now is also the better player when he's switched on. Midfield is an area we sorely lacked in the most in comparison to the other teams. Kanta as back-up defensive and centre mid, as well as being able to slot in potentially at right back and centre back if need be makes him the right call at that point
    Last edited by Mark325; 26-05-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Honestly, if this happens I'm fine with Regan being gone and would even be asking for Pepper to leave at that point.

Kanta's the most versatile, has the most potential and right now is also the better player when he's switched on. Midfield is an area we sorely lack and last seen was the area we sorely lacked in the most in comparison to the other teams. Kanta as back-up defensive and centre mid, as well as being able to slot in potentially at right back and centre back if need be makes him the right call at that point
    Yeah pretty well agree with you but going against Kanta is that he looks to be another Wheelhouse in that he is prone to injury. When did he last complete a season without missing games due to injury? Your value as a player gradually drops (as it did with Jobe) when it becomes expected that you are always going to have niggles and off-season operations etc.

Banned
    So serious question

How does he get a 1 game ban for his effort on Friday night with Mauk

Yet Roy is sitting out 10 games ??

Bit inconsistent that

So serious question

How does he get a 1 game ban for his effort on Friday night with Mauk

Yet Roy is sitting out 10 games ??

Bit inconsistent that
    Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he get a yellow for the incident meaning the buck stops there. He got the red for a second yellow.

Not justifying it as it deserves more then a week on the sidelines but that’s the rules?