Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: HAL Rd 26 - Newcastle Jets vs Wellington 27/2/13 k/off 5:00pm AEDST

Perhaps he saw more opportunity to get the 3 points against the "weaker" team even though we haven't won in Wellington in 5 years. And Melbourne are looking to bounce back this weekend.

Perhaps he has made the call I can at least push really hard, get 3 points and get confidence in the team and keep the positives feeling going and see what happens in Melbourne, when we are likely to bring in up-until-recently first teamers James Virgilli, James Brown and possibly Josh Mitchell or Scott Neville.

Who knows - Caravella and Gallaway don't get injured and we slot 2 more of the chances we had away, 4-0 up and he takes off Heskey or Bridges or Zads or Caravella to save their legs ahead of Sunday. I have a feeling the injuries threw out his planning.

So I guess I'm saying I agree with what he did - he went there and got 3 points.

I think it shows the confidence GVE has in his squad players that he needed the best 11 on the pitch in Wellington and is pretty much content at what seems like throwing away points against a team who were, until fairly recently, vying for top spot. If we can get a win against Perth at home and at least a point out of the other 3 fixtures, that should be enough for us to scrape into the 6 which seems to be what the club is aiming for with its youth centric dynasty foundations this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    so gve wants to rest heskey because of the strenuous schedule the team faces. why would he put a full-strength team against the worst team in the comp, in a midweek out-of-country game, and use the "reserves" against one of the top four in what would have been the normal schedule?

sounds like he's looking for excuses to lose against the big teams tbh
    He played a full strength side against the weaker team, to ENSURE we got 3 points. Would rather that then have a weaker team last night, scrape a point or worse, and then play an entertaining 3-3 draw against Victory with our full strength side and come away without a win. I think when you weigh all of this up it's not a bad decision.
    Last edited by pudy; 28-02-2013 at 12:39 PM.

i'd prefer after a season and 3/4 in charge, gve would have developed a team that could literally walk over the worst team in the comp, and be competing for the top 2 with the strongest team in the comp.

top 6 is a joke. anything less than top 4 is underachieving, and not something to really be aiming/celebrating towards. in a 10 team comp, on a scale of 1 to i-hope-to-earn-$60,000pa-by-the-time-i'm-30-years-old how would you rate the ambition of a clubs board if they were to say "we want you to finish in 5th or 6th"?

apparently, according to gve's fans, if we're in the same position as now after gve is in charge this time next season, which is 2 seasons and 3/4 in charge for him, then we can be angry at him. i'm not happy with the time:achievment ratio he's been achieving, and would like to point that out on every occasion i can.
    OK

Went to Wellington with our best available players and got the three points.

You can't ask for more than that from GVE and the players.

Great result.

so Bridgey needs a rest now lol
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    **** them we will win
    and there you have it

Lol at anti Bridgey posts, credibility meter not even registering

Edit- Thanks to Boz for the stream link, first time I've watched online.
    Last edited by My2BobsWorth; 28-02-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Great to see taggart get on the score sheet, lets hope he can start doing it regularly now ryan has gone. All though we missed some chances it was good to see us creating them and id be banking on heskey to score that 1 on 1 next time. Cant believe how good heskey has been this year his work controlling the ball/feeding others and off the ball work is immense.

While bridges did play well in the first half it doesn't change my belief he shouldn't be resigned. He played well for 1 half then came out after half time and did little in 20 minutes. He does good and he does bad but so does cooper(and cooper can last 90 minutes). I would prefer the combination forming between cooper and taggart to be given a good run and think that would give us the best shot at making and going well in the finals (could find out against victory if this is true with the changes to be made). I fully expected that bridges 1 game rest will have him back in 6-8 weeks.

haha, good to see pv4 still managing to find something to complain about.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Heard that Bridges house is up for sale....seems he definitely won't be around next season after all.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Heard that Bridges house is up for sale....seems he definitely won't be around next season after all.
    Probably looking to upgrade with the new contract he's getting with the jets. Probs naturalise him and make him aussie marquee...

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    No panic yet for us Bridgey Brethren...

House for sale, but Bridges keen to stay
    By JAMES GARDINER
    Feb. 27, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

MICHAEL Bridges has put his Merewether home on the market but the veteran English striker insists he has not given up hope of extending his playing career at the Jets.

Bridges is one of five players whose future is uncertain.

The club has tabled offers to marquee striker Emile Heskey and Swiss defender Dominik Ritter, but Bridges, Marko Jesic, who recently returned from a trial in the US, and little-used Brazilian Bernardo Ribeiro are yet to be offered new deals.

After spending most of the season on the outer, Bridges started in his third straight game against Wellington last night, scoring the second goal in a 2-1 win to cap a brilliant all-round display.

Although 34 and in the twilight of his career, the former Leeds star believes he is as fit as he has ever been. The Jets have spoken to him regarding a role with the Emerging Jets program and indicated they would assess his playing future at the end of the campaign.

‘‘I had a taste of retirement [two years ago] and didn’t fancy it,’’ Bridges said on Monday.

‘‘I want to keep playing, whether that is here or somewhere else.

‘‘We have put the house on the market to keep our options open.

‘‘Ideally, I get another contract here, but if something else comes up, I want to be in position to take it up. It would also be nice to have some money in the bank.’’

Bridges has contacts in England and is likely to return home if there is nothing in the A-League.

‘‘I have a number of mates who are managers at clubs now. I just want to keep playing.’’

Heskey’s retention remains the Jets’ priority.

‘‘We have had discussions with his agent and gone that step further and tabled a formal offer,’’ chief executive Robbie Middleby said.

‘‘It is not just about the offer. It is complicated with his family and with them being in England.

‘‘There is no definite time frame, but it is something that I know both parties would like to get resolved.’’

Jesic returned from the US on the weekend where he was on trial with New England Revolution and travelled with the squad to Wellington.

The former Olyroos striker came off the bench for his first A-League appearance this season.

UK-based agent Ricky Pattenden organised the US trial and is confident of Jesic securing a contract.

‘‘Marko trained with Revolution for a short period and did extremely well, scoring against New York Red Bulls and impressing in games,’’ Pattenden said.

‘‘We are still in talks with the club as they want to sign him, but as it stands they need to sort a few things out their end before this can happen. ‘‘A few clubs in the MLS have shown interest in him, especially after his performances in the pre-season tournament.’’

Meanwhile, Hunter Sports Group chief Troy Palmer assured Jets fans yesterday that the club’s $1million debt to the Tax Office would be settled by the end of March.

Jets owner Nathan Tinkler last week reached a settlement with the ATO over money owed by the Knights and HSG, but negotiations are continuing in regard to the Jets.

According to documents filed in the Federal Court in Sydney, the Knights owed more than $1.4million to the tax office, the Jets owed just over $1million, while Hunter Sports Group was $184,000 in the red. The ATO has applied for all three to be wound up.

The Jets’ case has been adjourned until April 5.

Palmer and Middleby addressed questions from fans on the club’s website yesterday.

When asked about the tax bill, Palmer replied: ‘‘I can assure you there is nothing to be concerned about. There is a number of matters being negotiated with the ATO. We should have these negotiations finalised by the end of March, but as I said, we have no concerns about the process or outcome.’’

There's always Jaffas
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Cooks Hill United have dibs on Bridges

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    There's always Jaffas
    Word is they have a good All age team and a good O'35 A as well.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Word is they have a good All age team and a good O'35 A as well.
    Can confirm all Jaffas teams are good.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

One thing we've forgoten to mention is the fact we won this game despite the FFA fking us around....again.

So to all those concerned, here's the bird.
    091118-flipping-the-bird.jpg

That's not me btw...

thread needs more anti-GVE whinging

I think it's true that Rubes will be the oldest on the field at 26 ?

If the Baby Jets win, GVE's youth policy will be vindicated, Heskey and Bridges will get the flick and we will adopt a "Logan's Run" policy of termination at 30 !!