Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern NSW Football Hunter Sports Group Newcastle United Jets FCW-League Team 12/13

Northern NSW Football Hunter Sports Group Newcastle United Jets FCW-League Team 12/13

Great name, even better abbreviation: NNSWFHSGNJ.

Discuss.

Edit: Probably could've thrown in a 'United' or 'FC' hey, missed opportunity.
    Last edited by militiamon; 27-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.

I've been to a few Women's Premier League games this season, Lake Macquarie are dominating but are also hella stacked with current and former Jets W-League players.

Keepers are still rubbish.

A certain striker has been in fine form for another team, against all odds. Must be selected.
    Last edited by militiamon; 27-06-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Thread named changed..... Ran out of room for a space

Great moderating work Mr Fish.

Prolix team names

Banned

Banned
    W-League: Full Time at Leichhardt Oval. Sydney FC 3 (Kennedy 35', Kerr 75', 78') - Newcastle Jets 3 (Van Egmond 18', Andrews 22', Huster 58')

Banned
    Canberra United got their Westfield W-League title defence back on track in emphatic style with a comprehensive 5-0 win over the Newcastle Jets at Wanderers Oval, Newcastle, on Saturday afternoon.

Canberra had the better of play in the first half but were kept scoreless by some good saves from Jets goalkeeper Eliza Campbell as the sides went to the break locked at 0-0.

But the floodgates opened in the second half at the visitors scored five goals in a 20-minute spree to blow out the scoreline.

The win sees Canberra still undefeated from two matches after being held to a 0-0 draw in the opening round of the season against the Roar, while Jets remain on one point from their opening draw with Sydney.

The match started in perfect conditions, sunny and warm with a light breeze in front of close to 1000 fans in Newcastle and it was the home side who had the first chance, with Gema Simon heading Emily Van Egmond's corner over the crossbar.

From that point on the half belonged to Canberra as Ashleigh Sykes provided the main threat on the left side.

She had two great chances on goal but Newcastle custodian Eliza Campbell did well to save a low shot at the near post before denying Sykes's sliding shot with her outstretched leg just before half-time.

The home side came out with more purpose in the second half. Van Egmond moved back into the midfield, allowing Hannah Brewer and Michaela Hatzirodos, who had replaced Tara Andrews at the break, to get in behind the Canberra defence.

But Canberra goalkeeper MacKenzie Arnold was up to the task and saved shots from Hatzirodos and Newcastle's American import Tori Huster.

Just as it looked like the Jets may open the scoring it was Canberra who struck first.

Michelle Heyman, who had been kept under wraps by Hayley Crawford and Stacey Day, slid a ball wide for Hayley Ruso and she did well to chip over the advancing Campbell and into the far corner of the net to make it 1-0 after 74 minutes.

As the Jets stretched forward in search of an equaliser they left themselves open at the back and Canberra took full advantage.

Ariane Hingst pushed a lovely ball through for Heyman inside the box and she buried the shot from right in front of goal to make it 2-0 after 84 minutes.

The visitors got their third in the 86th minute when Raso was brought down on the edge of the area by Jets substitute Sammara Schmitzer. Hingst sent her curling free-kick towards the far post where it took a deflection off the wall and skimmed under Campbell into the net.

Canberra made it 4-0 just one minute later when Heyman lobbed the Jets defence on the halfway line. Caitlin Munoz was first to the ball and went one-on-one with Campbell squeezing a shot under the Jets keeper.

Canberra completed the rout deep into injury time with a deserved goal to the hard-working Ashleigh Sykes who was on the spot to poke home from point-blank range after the Jets defence had failed to clear the ball.

Newcastle Jets 0

Canberra United 5
    (Hayley Raso 74, Michelle Heyman 84, Ariane Hingst 86, Caitlin Munoz 87, Ashleigh Sykes 90+5)

Newcastle Jets
    1. Eliza Campbell, 2. Hannah Brewer, 3 Hayley Crawford (capt), 4. Gemma Pearce, 5 Tori Huster, 7. Gema Simon, 9. Tara Andrews (Michaela Hatzirodos 45) 10. Emily van Egmond, 12, Tiffany Boshers, (11 Kate Hensman 63) 15. Alisha Foote14. Sammara Schmitzer 81) 16. Stacey Day.
    Bench 11. Kate Hensman, 14. Sammara Schmitzer, 18. Michaela Hatzirodos, 17. Alannah Rosewood (GK) .

Canberra United
    1. Mackenzie Arnold (GK), 2 Caitlin Cooper, 3. Georgina Yeoman-Dale (10. Snez Valjanovska 89) 6. Caitlin Munoz, 7. Ellie Brush (capt), 8. Hayley Ruso, (16. Catherine Brown 92) 11.Michelle Heyman, 153. Nicole Sykes, 14. Ashleigh Sykes, 17. Ariane Hingst, 19. Jennifer Bisset (18 sam Wood 73).
    Bench. 10. Snez Valjanovska, 16. Catherine Brown, 18. Sam Wood, 20 Trudy Burke (GK)
    Fancy being 0-0 with 70 mins gone and getting done 5-0!!!Talk about throwing in the towel

Banned
    SKIPPER Hayley Crawford admitted things were already getting desperate for the Jets after a 1-0 loss to embattled Melbourne Victory left them in last place a quarter of the way through the W-League season.
    See your ad here

A goal to Victory defender Rebekah Stott in first-half injury-time gave the hosts a deserved first win of the season at Simonds Stadium in Geelong on Saturday.

The result left Newcastle with only one point from three games in the 12-match national league season.

The Jets were without key playmaker Emily van Egmond because of a foot injury, but Melbourne had lost young star Ash Brown and skipper Louisa Bisby to season-ending injuries the previous weekend and appeared an ideal opponent for Newcastle after a 5-0 drubbing from Canberra.

But Victory dominated possession and goal-scoring opportunities, and only excellent work from teenage goalkeeper Eliza Campbell kept Newcastle in the game.

The Jets’ hopes of taking something from the match faded in the 82nd minute when central defender Stacey Day received two yellow cards in three minutes.

The first was for arguing with the referee over a free kick against Angela Salem. The second was for a shirt pull in a battle for possession.

Newcastle created only a few genuine chances in the game, and Crawford said the loss of van Egmond, the team’s only international, had hurt.

‘‘It’s hard without Emily, and we put Hannah [Brewer] in the midfield from our back line as well, which disrupted our defence,’’ Crawford said. ‘‘The second half we had a different team on and played better and that was a positive. But it’s disappointing we didn’t get the result, because it’s kind of getting to desperation stakes now because it is such a short season.’’

Debutante Sammara Schmitzer came into the Jets back line and had the tough task of marking Matildas speedster Stephanie Catley in the first half. But Schmitzer did not return for the second half after suffering a back injury while conceding a free kick, which Catley struck to find Stott at the far post for the winner.

Michaela Hatzirodos started up front for Newcastle instead of Tara Andrews, who came on in the 62nd minute and almost equalised with a header in the 68th minute. Crawford said the team’s attack had suffered from injury-enforced changes in the opening three games. ‘‘We got caught defending a lot with our seven and 11 [wingers], and that was possibly from the change at the back,’’ she said. ‘‘They got caught deep and we weren’t in the right positions to counter-attack in the final third. It was hard for us to get shots on goal and keep the ball up top when we didn’t have the personnel up there to support [Hatzirodos].’’

The Jets host Perth on Saturday in round four.

Elsewhere, Canberra beat Adelaide 3-1, Sydney downed Brisbane 3-1 and Western Sydney defeated Perth 2-0.

Jets already down 2 nil within 20 minutes.

It's clear to me Sullivan is not up to the task of managing a W-League side. That, or NNSWF mantra of developing youngsters in the W-League is not resulting in results on the pitch.

While its good to develope our own youngsters, it's not a good look to be losing each match and propping up the table.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Jets already down 2 nil within 20 minutes.

It's clear to me Sullivan is not up to the task of managing a W-League side. That, or NNSWF mantra of developing youngsters in the W-League is not resulting in results on the pitch.

While its good to develope our own youngsters, it's not a good look to be losing each match and propping up the table.
    spot on Thomas...completing a thousand coaching certificates is great but you need to prove yourself as a coach. Honestly believe most of these guys are like the "yes" men of most organisations
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    spot on Thomas...completing a thousand coaching certificates is great but you need to prove yourself as a coach. Honestly believe most of these guys are like the "yes" men of most organisations
    Just looking at our past results over the 5 or so seasons of the W-League.

V1 we came second, wth players like Salisbury, Neilson and Gill. V2 Salisbury, Gill, van Edgmond, Peters etc left, we came dead last. Both under Gary Phillips, who I assume is Mr Jockey of Fox commentary.

V3, the first under NNSWF, we came 7th, only due to Adelaide not getting any points. Then came Tinks and players like Barbieri, de Vanna and Hingst, under Zane. Crowds were getting close to 1,000. We came 5th, sure, but it was a hopeful 5th.

This season, again under NNSWF, we've seen the return to focussing on developing youth. This has resulted in 3 all, 5-0, 1-0 and 6-1 losses. Now if Crook resigns after a 7-2 loss and a 3-2 loss, surely NNSWF need to be looking at Sullivan's spot.

Now I'm not affiliated with NSSWF or any of the girls in the team, but I have been playing football for a while now, but for a young team to be losing each game and conceding an average of just under 4 goals a game, surely it won't be helping their confidence.

Plus FFS, why is a Gypo coaching our team?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Anyone going this arvo? Been a while since we decent had active support at one of these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post
    Anyone going this arvo? Been a while since we decent had active support at one of these games.

No no and no

demon
    I went and watched Sat game v Adelaide........ and yes it was typical Adelaide. They do what they can with a small population and few players ever willing to move to play for them.

The Jets played as well as the opposition let them..... which was pretty well. It's hard to judge having not seen prior games but in what I viewed they team does has some good young players in its ranks. (Adelaide actually have a very talented 15yo in their midfield also). It was some of the more well known players who seemed in that game to be the less enthusiastic.

Alisha Foote impressed playing out wide, positioned herself well, made some purposeful attacking runs against her opposite number. If the forward line had been reading the midfield runs better the opportunities would have been close to double, many times Foote & Boshers had defenders on their heels ready to put balls in behind the defence only to see no one anticipating but waiting for balls to be played before making a run.

Ball control was good across the park, they played out from the back well when the chance was there and Stacey Day was a good physical presence in the back line all game.

Some crowd comments were entertaining with some being obvious Tara Andrews or Gemma Simon fans and it being the rest of the team who did anything wrong but thats the same at any game at any level I guess.

Eliza Campbell again seemed quiet (vocally) in goals and was not tested to any great degree but the clean sheet is good for her confidence no doubt.

I have not had any interaction with the coaching staff personally, and perhaps it is their way, but it was quite a quiet bench with very little real positive observation being passed onto players during the game during the second half when I was directly behind them.

It was an entertaining game, it was not the same as playing Sydney/Melb/Brisbane but the effort continued for the full game which was encouraging. And while I enjoyed it it was not the same as watching last season, those names did create a level of excitement. Fingers crossed it is not just a single season we will see someone like Foote in a Jets jersey.

getting in free using my Jets membership was nice but if I was not given free entry as a member would I pay the entry fee of $10...... doubtful.

But would I go over again since it is free, sure. As long as I get another pass from the backyard renovations from the wife again first.

And I will say well done to the players for making the effort to get involved off the field. From the recent clinic, to the way the are willing to speak to and sign things after games, my daughter had nothing but praise for them being at her school the week prior and was a big influence in my going along to the game.

those things will hopefully see the numbers up around that mystical 1000 mark again.
    Last edited by demon; 20-11-2012 at 11:44 AM.

demon
    Well it was a VERy different outcome to the Adelaide game, and to be honest it looked a very different team. Lethargic and disinterested at times by a Western Sydney team that themselves did not provide a dazzling performance.

The game gave the Jets coaching staff little to be happy with in terms of tactics or players desire. Beaten 3-0 to a less than amazing Wanderers side , with both sides and the crowd sufferring in the heat. For SW Sarah Walsh was the best of both sides probably, and for the Jets upfront there was simply no one. The rpevious result against Adelaide was put in a new light after seeing a side simply unable to break down an oppostition defence.

The lack of alternative methods the team showed really did paint a picture of a single minded approach by the coaches in terms of what is being worked on at training.

What was most dramtic , and even more oppressing than the heat was the pitch. Newcaslte has all age sides playing on better quality surfaces than that field. And it shows how little respect the W-League is being given by the clubs themselves. In all of western Sydney if that is the premuim surface available (at a cost reasonable to the home team) then the councils out there should be ashamed!! And more to the point so too should the FFA.

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    Well it was a VERy different outcome to the Adelaide game, and to be honest it looked a very different team. Lethargic and disinterested at times by a Western Sydney team that themselves did not provide a dazzling performance.

The game gave the Jets coaching staff little to be happy with in terms of tactics or players desire. Beaten 3-0 to a less than amazing Wanderers side , with both sides and the crowd sufferring in the heat. For SW Sarah Walsh was the best of both sides probably, and for the Jets upfront there was simply no one. The rpevious result against Adelaide was put in a new light after seeing a side simply unable to break down an oppostition defence.

The lack of alternative methods the team showed really did paint a picture of a single minded approach by the coaches in terms of what is being worked on at training.

What was most dramtic , and even more oppressing than the heat was the pitch. Newcaslte has all age sides playing on better quality surfaces than that field. And it shows how little respect the W-League is being given by the clubs themselves. In all of western Sydney if that is the premuim surface available (at a cost reasonable to the home team) then the councils out there should be ashamed!! And more to the point so too should the FFA.
    why does Sullivan keep getting coaching gigs, his record isnt all that flash,

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    why does Sullivan keep getting coaching gigs, his record isnt all that flash,
    Like most of Newcaslte football isn't it? It's more WHO you know rather then WHAT you know.

Either way, I hope it doesn't appear like I'm trying to put shit on the players, I'm not. It's more Sullivan who as FR stated, does not have a good record but seems immune from scrutiny.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Like most of Newcaslte football isn't it? It's more WHO you know rather then WHAT you know.

Either way, I hope it doesn't appear like I'm trying to put shit on the players, I'm not. It's more Sullivan who as FR stated, does not have a good record but seems immune from scrutiny.
    Isn't he paid by FFA not even NNSW, sure I read that recently.

demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Isn't he paid by FFA not even NNSW, sure I read that recently.
    After the announcement I asked a close friend whose is in the office side of Northern about him, the official line was that yes he was already on Northern's books so from a financial perspective the cost of him doing the role was not as great as bringing in another person entirely. And there are certainly other examples of Northern/FFA staff taking on rep coaching roles rather than appoint/pay additional staff. Haynsey and Kean Marshall for example have both done so.

Ok, I can understand that to a degree, we are all critical at times of where Northern spend money. I think what Northern are failing in most of all at the moment is communication (surprise suprise). What is the main objective of the Jets W-League??????

If it is performance in the comp then I think everyone would have to agree the results are below acceptable. Being such a short comp in length it does seem pointless changing coaches but under this scenario you certainly wouldn't be inviting him to apply again.

If it is purely development then its harder to quantify because it is all so subjective, but if that was the case why did they invite foreign players? And who above Sullivan has been attending training regulary, going to all games to be in a position to conduct an end of season review of him from a development point of view?

So the reality is they are trying to walk a very fine line between the two and I think failing the players on both levels. BUT I don't think naming a certain female (who was very public over the last 2 seasons in not getting the job) because she was female would have succeded either.

I will throw a name out though, maybe not a common first thought either of many. David Lowe...... has coached, with success, at youth level. Has been used in talent indentification. has played at the highest level in Aus at his time and knows local football. And if Northern come back with an excuse such as "oh not currently qualified" they should bury their heads in the sand.... if the FFA let A-League coaches become qualified while in the job then the same should apply for W-League.

Where I find it most surprising in Canberra, what so they do differently that lets them field such high quality sides consistantly? It couldn't merely be the AIS because the ages of players are spread.

He seems to be getting plenty of scrutiny in the paper and on here. Can you run me through his poor record?