Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where was your clubs first home ground?

Where was your clubs first home ground?

After reading about Merewether playing out of Jesmond park it got me wondering how many clubs have moved around over the years. Where did they start and where are they now and what were the reasons for the move?
    I remember playing Merewether at Adamstown No3 and similar with the Suns who now play over the bridge at Carrington.
    At the Terrace we started at Boomerang park and moved to King park thanks to the council upgrading the facilities
    Medowie started at Boyd oval then moved to Yulong oval for similar reasons.
    See what memories you can stir up in the ol grey matter between the ears and post a reply!

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER09 View Post
    After reading about Merewether playing out of Jesmond park it got me wondering how many clubs have moved around over the years. Where did they start and where are they now and what were the reasons for the move?
    I remember playing Merewether at Adamstown No3 and similar with the Suns who now play over the bridge at Carrington.
    At the Terrace we started at Boomerang park and moved to King park thanks to the council upgrading the facilities
    Medowie started at Boyd oval then moved to Yulong oval for similar reasons.
    See what memories you can stir up in the ol grey matter between the ears and post a reply!
    It was well before my time but my father tells me of the many great memories that Cardiff had playing behind the golf range most of the memories are from crazy nights they had in the licensed club they had there though. I play for suburbs now and I'm lead to believe that they played there for a few years too but I would need confirmation from someone with more knowledge than me about it

Valentine phoenix are the best gypsies, this group originated out of Tomago eagles, playing out of Tomago oval then they moved to Stewart and lloyds, (club phoenix) , mayfield park, no 1 sports ground & Cahill oval, after all these ground changes, and I have probably missed a couple, you would think they would get it right, not

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Valentine phoenix are the best gypsies, this group originated out of Tomago eagles, playing out of Tomago oval then they moved to Stewart and lloyds, (club phoenix) , mayfield park, no 1 sports ground & Cahill oval, after all these ground changes, and I have probably missed a couple, you would think they would get it right, not
    I bet Belswans will be next on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I bet Belswans will be next on their list.
    + 1

demon
    I think the winner for not moving here would be West Wallsend by a mile, what is it now 122/123 years at the same ground?

The only club I can think might possibly be close would be Adamstown but do not know their history very well myself.

Minmi, Wallsend, Rosebuds and Westy are all over the 120 year mark but I wouldn't think Minmi are still in their original location knowing how much landfill is on one side of that field.

Wallsend... well less said about recent years since selling Crystal Palace and those investments the better forcing them around a few locations.

Rosebuds might be a chance but I would not think many clubs anywhere in Aus could claim the same field for over 120 consecutive years.

As far as moving, Magic (if you include their Macedonia days) had played at a few grounds over their history too.

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    I think the winner for not moving here would be West Wallsend by a mile, what is it now 122/123 years at the same ground?

The only club I can think might possibly be close would be Adamstown but do not know their history very well myself.

Minmi, Wallsend, Rosebuds and Westy are all over the 120 year mark but I wouldn't think Minmi are still in their original location knowing how much landfill is on one side of that field.

Wallsend... well less said about recent years since selling Crystal Palace and those investments the better forcing them around a few locations.

Rosebuds might be a chance but I would not think many clubs anywhere in Aus could claim the same field for over 120 consecutive years.

As far as moving, Magic (if you include their Macedonia days) had played at a few grounds over their history too.
    I also think it's a deadset shame about Wallsend as Crystal Palace was a wonderfull ground, from what I know Minmi are still at the same ground and it's a huge thing for Westy to still be there after so long.

Weston have only had 2 grounds in almost 110 years and at the current one now for almost 60 years. Magic once played out of Jaffa's ground aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Magic once played out of Jaffa's ground aswell.
    i...and adamstown
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

It was never jaffas ground originally, it was new lambton eagles home ground first until the jaffas had them removed, still a sore point with many old golden eagles

My old man loved when we played either cardiff or wallsend...clubs overlooking the ground
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    My old man loved when we played either cardiff or wallsend...clubs overlooking the ground
    The surface at the Cardiff ground was very poor in the later years but it was handy to have the club on the grounds.

demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It was well before my time but my father tells me of the many great memories that Cardiff had playing behind the golf range most of the memories are from crazy nights they had in the licensed club they had there though. I play for suburbs now and I'm lead to believe that they played there for a few years too but I would need confirmation from someone with more knowledge than me about it

They did indeed, they owned their own licensed club also overlooking the western side of the field. It was retangular and fenced but outside the fences on all sides the ground was built up so cars parked ouraound the Northern (tennis court) Southern (golf range) and eastern sides had a great view. The estern side was dominated by the licensed club which held quite a few hundred operated seven days/nights a week, had a large sealed car park.

At its peak it was regarded as the best playing surface in the then 1st Division and they were one of the top clubs in the area while the club was profitable. The demise of the football club was slightly ahead of the demise of the licensed club but mutual in their death unfortuantely.

The ground saw off and on use over the years after but was never back to its best in terms of the surface.

demon
    What about "lost" fields........ I can remember there used to be three football fields on the parkland behind broadmeadow maccas back in my school days. Not sure any actual club was ever attached to them thou but got used by the school sports competitions quite a bit.

Waratah West (club ended a few decades ago) used to have a field also which I think a church team have revived and are using.

Beaton Park, Wollongong Olympic.

do miss the days of playing around the corner at Boomerang Park, next to the golf course.

Ranger you forgot the old Masonite field there! i swear half my games that were supposed to be at boomerang got moved there!
    Jaliens gives me the horn

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    What about "lost" fields........ I can remember there used to be three football fields on the parkland behind broadmeadow maccas back in my school days. Not sure any actual club was ever attached to them thou but got used by the school sports competitions quite a bit.
    I've played cricket, hockey and football there

it's weird to see the state of them these days, given no other sport uses them it'd be worth putting some goals on there for use in the off season

as for my club, we're still at our first home ground at #4 National Park, along with our two other grounds and possibly a third this season - we did use Islington Park for a while for some reason but thankfully that stopped

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    do miss the days of playing around the corner at Boomerang Park, next to the golf course.

Ranger you forgot the old Masonite field there! i swear half my games that were supposed to be at boomerang got moved there!
    True, Mosonite field now a car park for the new Sandvik site and also Medowie using Tomago oval for a few years.
    Used to enjoy playing at salamander oval before the Bay moved to Tomaree, I think it has a cricket pitch smack in the middle now.

Good to see some history being raised here, keep it coming!

Cricket pitch went a few years ago from salamander oval... Prob the best surface in the hunter and its only our training ground... It's unfortunate the amenities aren't up to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    It was never jaffas ground originally, it was new lambton eagles home ground first until the jaffas had them removed, still a sore point with many old golden eagles
    Yeah. My old man still blows up about this. Once i get my son into the Eagles shirt, it ill be three generations into the blue and white. It would be nice to have a solid home ground without being kicked around the area (or at least threatened to be) - considering the age of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    I've played cricket, hockey and football there

it's weird to see the state of them these days, given no other sport uses them it'd be worth putting some goals on there for use in the off season

as for my club, we're still at our first home ground at #4 National Park, along with our two other grounds and possibly a third this season - we did use Islington Park for a while for some reason but thankfully that stopped
    You're not over the hill yet Boz. The original Cooks Hill played out of the park at Tighes Hill TAFE if I am correct. Made it into the old 2nd division for one season as I am told. The reformed Cooks Hill o35s this year have one certain player who played for the old Cooks Hill along with his 'ol' man.