Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where was your clubs first home ground?

Quote Originally Posted by front2 View Post
    You're not over the hill yet Boz. The original Cooks Hill played out of the park at Tighes Hill TAFE if I am correct. Made it into the old 2nd division for one season as I am told. The reformed Cooks Hill o35s this year have one certain player who played for the old Cooks Hill along with his 'ol' man.
    does any one know if it was cooks hill who went out to valentine and merged with them for a short time?
    That leads me to another question, How many clubs has Valentine merged with over the years?
    Phoenix, Belmont, Tingira, soon it will be Belswans, Is there any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It was well before my time but my father tells me of the many great memories that Cardiff had playing behind the golf range most of the memories are from crazy nights they had in the licensed club they had there though. I play for suburbs now and I'm lead to believe that they played there for a few years too but I would need confirmation from someone with more knowledge than me about it
    Didnt cardiff start at number 1 the ground with the cricket pitch accross from cardiff toyota

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Valentine phoenix are the best gypsies, this group originated out of Tomago eagles, playing out of Tomago oval then they moved to Stewart and lloyds, (club phoenix) , mayfield park, no 1 sports ground & Cahill oval, after all these ground changes, and I have probably missed a couple, you would think they would get it right, not
    And before No.1 SG, Athfield (N'cle Athletics Field) for a season (or 2?) I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by punter View Post
    does any one know if it was cooks hill who went out to valentine and merged with them for a short time?
    That leads me to another question, How many clubs has Valentine merged with over the years?
    Phoenix, Belmont, Tingira, soon it will be Belswans, Is there any more?
    Cooks Hill with Phil Brown went out to Valentine and formed Valentine Cookers in 1992.
    Good info on VP's website History page here:- http://www.vefc.com.au/index.php?opt...108&Itemid=122
    The info shows they ceased playing in 1996. A new unrelated Cookers emerged at Nat Pk No.4 in 1998.

You'll need a Valentine person to answer the 2nd part of your question punter.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Bay Road View Post
    Cricket pitch went a few years ago from salamander oval... Prob the best surface in the hunter and its only our training ground... It's unfortunate the amenities aren't up to scratch
    University might fight you over that comment, Ray Watt has consitantly been one of the best grounds in the Newcastle/Hunter region over the best part of a decade, and it just seems to imporve every year......... i might be slightly biased but it would be hard to tofind to many grounds that rivals the size and surface quality in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by front2 View Post
    You're not over the hill yet Boz. The original Cooks Hill played out of the park at Tighes Hill TAFE if I am correct. Made it into the old 2nd division for one season as I am told. The reformed Cooks Hill o35s this year have one certain player who played for the old Cooks Hill along with his 'ol' man.
    University also played there first games at Tighes Hill TAFE, when the university was there, back in the 60's. I believe it was in the mid 90's that Ray Watt became the home ground, and it took a few years again before the ground started to evolve into the flat surface it is today, at first it was just a paddock and was worse than Athletics Track during a june storm from what ive heard.

Toronto Awaba first ground was actually at AWABA apparently, then they moved briefly to a ground in Toronto West on the western side of the cemetary , ( i think its still a paddock with remnants of a toilet block ) , moved to Toronto Sportsground ( Lyall Peacock ) in the mid fifties i think.

Quote Originally Posted by pastor399 View Post
    University might fight you over that comment, Ray Watt has consitantly been one of the best grounds in the Newcastle/Hunter region over the best part of a decade, and it just seems to imporve every year......... i might be slightly biased but it would be hard to tofind to many grounds that rivals the size and surface quality in the region.

University also played there first games at Tighes Hill TAFE, when the university was there, back in the 60's. I believe it was in the mid 90's that Ray Watt became the home ground, and it took a few years again before the ground started to evolve into the flat surface it is today, at first it was just a paddock and was worse than Athletics Track during a june storm from what ive heard.
    I'd put my hand up to say King Park is one of the best, we've held numerous junior grand finals there and had great comments about the condition, only thing bad about it is the wind that usually gets going haha
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by punter View Post
    Didnt cardiff start at number 1 the ground with the cricket pitch accross from cardiff toyota
    Sure did, I was a ball boy in them days, my dad did the gate, they moved to lymington park in 1974, named after the old coal mine it was built on, mike trebilcock was the player coach then if I remember rightly

demon
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Sure did, I was a ball boy in them days, my dad did the gate, they moved to lymington park in 1974, named after the old coal mine it was built on, mike trebilcock was the player coach then if I remember rightly
    Actually I have a faint recollection Wallsend used Lymington also in 2001/2001.

Part of the wandering minstral routine of the last decade or so.... Breakers, Lymington, Wallsend No 1 (how that was ever allowed I can't uinderstand but that was a decade ago I guess) then the revamped Breakers as The Gardens Dog track, then the Glendale Athletcis track and now back at the Dog Track.

What about the old Croatia? Where they anywhere prior to over at Wickham? I honestly can not remember but they surely must have been.

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    Actually I have a faint recollection Wallsend used Lymington also in 2001/2001.

Part of the wandering minstral routine of the last decade or so.... Breakers, Lymington, Wallsend No 1 (how that was ever allowed I can't uinderstand but that was a decade ago I guess) then the revamped Breakers as The Gardens Dog track, then the Glendale Athletcis track and now back at the Dog Track.

What about the old Croatia? Where they anywhere prior to over at Wickham? I honestly can not remember but they surely must have been.
    croatia started at mayfield Park??(where mayfield ZPL play) if i remember correctly and yes Wallsend did use Lymington

I remember playing Croatia at Mayfield Park many years ago...and being well beaten via a Paul Queenan
    hat trick

demon
    I am told the West Wallsend v Rosebubds game later this year is a bit of an event.

Being played on the same ground as one of the first competition games in the region and between those two same clubs over 120 years ago. A pity Northern aren't having replica shirts for players and referees produced for the first grade game at that first match.

But that simple fact is pretty impressive for the code in this region. Over 120 years and you still have the same two clubs exisiting and playing on the same field.

Lets hope it gets the media attention it deserves so we can remind the others what sport the area is truely known for.

I am told the West Wallsend v Rosebubds game later this year is a bit of an event.

Being played on the same ground as one of the first competition games in the region and between those two same clubs over 120 years ago. A pity Northern aren't having replica shirts for players and referees produced for the first grade game at that first match.

But that simple fact is pretty impressive for the code in this region. Over 120 years and you still have the same two clubs exisiting and playing on the same field.

Lets hope it gets the media attention it deserves so we can remind the others what sport the area is truely known for.
    Got any links to any other info?

Wouldn't West Wallsend of been called Young Wallsend back then.

Im sure if you paid Northern will produce the replica kits for you. Maybe there should be a "heritage" round?

demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Wouldn't West Wallsend of been called Young Wallsend back then.
    That could be true Beast, I think the point the historians were making was they were actually still the same two club entities. So both may have had a name change but the clubs never folded and new ones started up or took over another club etc.

Just that you could actually trace both clubs back to that first game as the actual same clubs. The missed previous anniversary dates such as 100, 100 120 years etc simply because in those years they were in different divisions.

Be nice if the clubs could afford it but I don't think many New Fm clubs have enough cash to purchase a one off strip out of their own cash.

are NNSW doing anything to promote this?
    its really is massive news

Wanderers and the FFA fap off about naming the club after a team from 1880, here we have two clubs that still exist!

Only reason I mentioned Young Wallsend was the other week I found some of my grandfathers trophies from Young Wallsend for the Presidents and Referees cup in 1937.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Only reason I mentioned Young Wallsend was the other week I found some of my grandfathers trophies from Young Wallsend for the Presidents and Referees cup in 1937.
    young wallsend was edgeworth.

wallsend...
    Without a home ground Wallsend moved to the International Sports Centre at Broadmeadow and continued to train at the Crystal Palace. On 12th May 1987, the last training session was held at Crystal Palace. Training was then transferred to Jesmond Park. This was due to work to demolish the clubhouse, grandstand and change rooms, commencing in that year.

In 1988, Wallsend’s home ground was moved part way through the season from the ISC to Adamstown Oval. In 1989, the club finished on the bottom of the table and was relegated to the lower division when Northern NSW Football promoted 3 teams from the lower division. This devastated the club and saw many first grade players leave for other clubs in 1990.

During 1990, Wallsend played their home games at Austral Park. The money from the sale of Crystal Palace was used to help develop the park and to establish the Newcastle Breakers in the National Soccer League.
    Construction of the Breakers Stadium started in 1991, and Wallsend Football Club were like gypsies in this year, playing at four different home grounds throughout the year. Despite this, Wallsend managed to finish second in the competition.

In 1994, everything seemed to come together with the appointment of Richard Hartley as coach, Wallsend attracted a number of strong players, with the home ground at the new Breakers Stadium and remained undefeated throughout the season, culminating in a Grand Final win. Ultimately this enabled the club to be promoted back to the premier division in 1995.

Wallsend continued to play in the higher division for the next six years. In 2000, Wallsend was forced to relocate to Lymmington Park at Cardiff due to increased rental imposed by the Breakers consortium. As a result, Wallsend lost many of its senior players and was forced to field a young side. The final result was that Wallsend was relegated to the lower division in 2001.

The start of 2001 looked grim. The club held two extraordinary meetings to determine whether the club would be disbanded to lack of funds and people prepared to run the club. The ground at Lymington was not available and Wallsend were once again moved but to more familiar territory in Wallsend Park, although this was the first time since 1921 that Wallsend played at an unfenced ground.

In 2002, Wallsend started to gather momentum with the home ground being back at Breakers Stadium, now renamed as The Gardens.
    http://wallsendfc.tumblr.com/history...times-1969-now
    Last edited by hawk; 18-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Belmont Swansea United S.C.......... formerly Blacksmiths Rangers.
    Pretty sure they have occupied the same location at "Beautiful Blacksmiths Oval" since 1935. That's 78 years and still going strong.
    I really feel as sad as SWAN can get when I read stuff like the Wallsend story. I guess "it comes home to roost" the old saying by a well known soccer stalwart of the region, and that is " that you can't be on top all the time"!