Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015 - Newcastle Hosting

AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015 - Newcastle Hosting

Asian Cup 2015 venues and schedule announced
    Wednesday, 27 March 2013 10:02 AM

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and the AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015 Local Organising Committee (LOC) today unveiled the match schedule and host venues for the 2015 competition.

The competition will kick off in Melbourne on January 9, 2015 with an opening ceremony and Socceroos match at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium and will culminate in the Final at Sydney’s Stadium Australia on January 31, 2015.

The other three competition venues are Brisbane Stadium at Milton, Canberra Stadium in the ACT and Newcastle Stadium in NSW.

LOC Chief Executive Officer Michael Brown said today’s announcements marked a significant milestone in the planning of AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015.

“The Asian Cup in Australia will be a three week, 32 match festival of football culminating in the Final at Stadium Australia on January 31,” Brown said.

“We are pleased to have now locked in five top class venues for the competition and finalised the match schedule.

“This will allow the detailed planning for the event to progress on schedule to ensure Asian Cup Australia 2015 is a world-class event and maintains Australia’s international reputation as a great host for the world’s best sporting contests.”

Brown said the Socceroos qualifying games would be played in Melbourne on January 9, 2015; Sydney on January 13, 2015; and Brisbane on January 17, 2015.

“The four Quarter Finals will be played on January 22 and 23, 2015 and we are very excited that on Australia Day 2015 the first Semi Final will be played at Stadium Australia.

“The second Semi Final will be played in Newcastle on January 27, 2015 and the city will also host the 3rd v 4th play-off on January 30, 2015.”

AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015 is being jointly-funded by the Australian Government and the Queensland, NSW, ACT and Victorian Governments.
    Federal Minister for Sport Kate Lundy said the Gillard Government was working in partnership with the Local Organising Committee as Australia prepares to host the Asian Cup – the region’s premier sporting event.

“The Asian Cup offers a unique opportunity to showcase Australia as a world-class host for major sporting events and as an attractive tourist destination,” Lundy said.

“The spin-off from the Cup will be enormous for Australia with a global TV audience of more than 2.5 billion people expected and an estimated 45,000 international visitors set to visit our shores.”

NSW Minister for Sport Graham Annesley welcomed the announcement that Sydney and Newcastle would host a key Semi Final and Final match.

“The staging of the 2015 AFC Asian Cup in Australia is just reward for the growth of football in this country,” Annesley said.

“Successive FIFA World Cup campaigns have positioned Australia on the world football stage, and I’m confident both Stadium Australia and Newcastle Stadium will ensure fans experience and enjoy these world class facilities during the Asian Cup.”

Victorian Minister for Sport Hugh Delahunty said: “I am delighted the event's Opening Ceremony and Opening Match featuring the Socceroos will be held at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium in Melbourne on 9 January 2015.

“Melbourne Rectangular Stadium is a world class, award winning, purpose-built stadium with fantastic turf that the players will love and where the fans can get up close to the action.

“'I look forward to welcoming visitors to Melbourne and Victoria for this highly anticipated event.”

Queensland Minister for Tourism and Major Events, Jann Stuckey, said Queenslanders were looking forward to the benefits and exposure the tournament would bring to the state.

“An event the size of the Asian Cup has a tremendous impact, and I know that Brisbane 2015 will be memorable for spectators and competitors alike,” Stuckey said.

“The number of Asian tourists visiting Queensland has increased markedly during recent years, and the event will provide an opportunity to build on that by showcasing what our wonderful state has to offer.”

ACT Minister for Sport Andrew Barr said the ACT Government was proud to be working with Victoria, Queensland, NSW, the Federal Government and the AFC Asian Cup 2015 Local Organising Committee to host this exciting event and showcase Australia to Asia and the world.

“I’m delighted that football fans in Canberra and the capital region will have the chance to see some of the world’s best players and international teams in action.

“Canberra Stadium has a proven track record of hosting high-quality fixtures, including Olympic football, Rugby World Cup and Rugby League World Cup matches. Likewise Canberra will be a great venue for travelling fans, who will have the chance to see the unique attractions of the nation’s capital.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...nnounced/63911
    Didn't see that coming at all, hopefully a new pitch is forth coming.

What ever happened to the regs that required all seaters? I guess we could be in for some temp seating over the hills

Newcastle

The other NSW Venue is Newcastle Stadium. With a redevelopment of the venue completed in 2011, Newcastle Stadium is an excellent stadium and caters to the significant football community north of the Hawkesbury River. Newcastle is a football strong - hold and will open up the Asian Cup to football fans across Northern NSW.

Newcastle will host four matches, including two group matches , a Semi Final and 3rd v 4th playoff.

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com...214-source.pdf
    So four games, I assume the lowest drawing games by the looks, but the 3 v 4 and the second semi will hopefully be good. With the form of the socceroos they might even make it that far.

Page 13 from above....

yeah good news about a semi

i've got one now

Newcastle Stadium

Match 7
    Monday, 12 January 2015
    D1 vs D4

Match 17
    Saturday,
    17 January 2015
    A3 vs A4

Match 30
    Tuesday, 27 January 2015
    SF2 (QF2 v QF4)

Match 31
    Friday, 30 January 2015
    3rd/4th PLAY OFF: LSF1 v LSF2
    Will be interesting to see how hard the region goes for training grounds, being a central location for later stages of the comp and having an airport right around the corner.

no games in perf? disc race

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Pretty frickin awesome. Did not expect

I thought the AFC required stadiums to be 100% seated.

Going to be awesome though. Do t care who's playing, I'm going.

Over the moon with this news! Watching the semi final in our own backyard will be something special.. and will provide a fantastic boost to the local economy too (especially if we host a nation which will bring plenty of traveling support i.e. Japan, South Korea)

Quote Originally Posted by sh10 View Post
    no games in perf? disc race
    Perf and Radelaide didnt submit bids apparently.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Games were distributed in proportion to the amount each state govt chipped in.

Banned
    Surely some **** was pissed when he did an assessment on Newy??

The stadium is ****ed, the pitch is ****ed and we are at the arse end of Straya right next to a pile of Inbred Gypsy wankers.

Our airport is a 30 minute hike through Kooragang Island and the amazing coal piles (All Hail Lord Tinkler) with **** all transport to and from the airport other than the occasional bus that goes nowhere where you want to go.

Don't get me started on the delights of Hunter Street that await our Asian visitors.

Other than that what a great idea.

Doesn't quite beat the idea to host games in an area like Canberra that has no HAL presence at all. Could have been worse I suppose they could have been hosted in Gosford which has no fan presence at HAL games.

Sucked in to Perth and Adelaide who are now paying the price for no decent stadiums in their neck of the world

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Surely some **** was pissed when he did an assessment on Newy??

The stadium is ****ed, the pitch is ****ed and we are at the arse end of Straya right next to a pile of Inbred Gypsy wankers.

Our airport is a 30 minute hike through Kooragang Island and the amazing coal piles (All Hail Lord Tinkler) with **** all transport to and from the airport other than the occasional bus that goes nowhere where you want to go.

Don't get me started on the delights of Hunter Street that await our Asian visitors.

Other than that what a great idea.

Doesn't quite beat the idea to host games in an area like Canberra that has no HAL presence at all. Could have been worse I suppose they could have been hosted in Gosford which has no fan presence at HAL games.

Sucked in to Perth and Adelaide who are now paying the price for no decent stadiums in their neck of the world
    Clearly not seen that nib stadium has just finished being renovated and Perth will have their first game in it this weekend

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Clearly not seen that nib stadium has just finished being renovated and Perth will have their first game in it this weekend
    Still a 20k stadium with the redevelopment done.

Point stands NO decent facilities in SA or WA to play a big game which is why they get nothing

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I'm genuinely surprised by all this - I'd heard we weren't going to get any games

well done to the NSW Government for paying more than Victorians to get this

will definitely be buying tickets to each and every game in Newy

**** yeah. 7 games in canberra.

i'll be taking the month off.

Wonder if there was any intention to spend any money on Hunter Stadium if we did get picked as a venue?
    Would be nice to get a proper pitch and the hills upgraded to seating.

Tweeted hunter stadium, surprise surprise no reply

Given AFC had previously said stadiums need to be seated, you would imagine they will have to seat the hills in some fashion. If the intent was to continue the lower teir around the hill though, they would have to get started soon. I'd be guessing any seating would be a temporary solution.

The pitch would have to be a priority though.

Good news re games in Newcastle.

I'm assuming the A-League will take a month break during the Asian Cup?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Given AFC had previously said stadiums need to be seated, you would imagine they will have to seat the hills in some fashion. If the intent was to continue the lower teir around the hill though, they would have to get started soon. I'd be guessing any seating would be a temporary solution.

The pitch would have to be a priority though.
    Believe the seating behind the goals at Parra Stadium is a temporary seating thing so can't see why we can't have it done at Newy