Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup Qualifying

2014 World Cup Qualifying

finishing 5th will give the usual playoff with Conmebol. Surely we wont need that?

Group B

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
    Japan 3 2 1 0 10 1 +9 7
    Iraq 2 0 2 0 2 2 0 2
    Australia 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 2
    Oman 3 0 2 1 1 4 −3 2
    Jordan 2 0 1 1 1 7 −6 1

Group A
    Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
    South Korea 2 2 0 0 7 1 +6 6
    Iran 2 1 1 0 1 0 +1 4
    Qatar 3 1 1 1 2 4 −2 4
    Uzbekistan 2 0 1 1 1 2 −1 1
    Lebanon 3 0 1 2 1 5 −4 1

If we cant finish 1st or 2nd in that pool we don't deserve to go to brazil.
    Iraq. Oman. Jordan.
    FFS

Scheduling for the Sydney games is disappointing, all tuesday nights! Should get 2nd with our home games towards the back-end

Hmmmm.. I notice noone has posted about tonights World Cup qualifier against Jordan..
    From what I can gather, kickoff is at 2am our time.. I'm assuming it will be on Foxtel..

If we can't beat Jordan at least 2 or 3 to nil, then there is something seriously wrong..

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    does everyone know SBS are showing the game on one hour delay tomorrow morning?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...-Jordan-on-SBS

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    does everyone know SBS are showing the game on one hour delay tomorrow morning?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...-Jordan-on-SBS
    I'll be opting for the Live PoxSports coverage, courtesy of Mr Polska across the road.
    You can txt me any comments Boz without spoiling.

Great it's on FTA though albiet delayed.

Iraq 0 Japan 1 . After 70min.

tactical ****ing masterstroke bringing on jedinak holger.

what kind of dross was that? one of the shittest performances i've seen from an australian team ever.

high comedy

Haven't seen the game yet but I said after the Scotland game that we are in serious trouble...because the young guys aren't stepping up.

We will have to just pick the older ones to try and get some points - if we lose our next game we could be gone unless we win all our home games.

Dia-f’n-bolical.

Jordan showed this morning that all you need to do to knock us off our game is play with a bit of pressure. Not much mind you, just a little.

We were so unbelievably bad it was almost laughable. Passes were either misplaced, uncontrollable, miscontrolled, blind or all 4. Touch was terrible from just about the whole team.

Our defence is just woeful, too old, too slow and frankly too bloody dumb.

Holger showed why he was given the job with two tactical masterstrokes. First was playing ognenovski, who turns out busted his hammy in the Lebanon match or at training, so 5 minutes in, what happens? He goes down and is subbed off. That’s Einstein-like brilliance that is.

And the coup de grace from Holger was subbing on jedinak at half time for bresciano. Now, bresciano had been the only player capable of handling the pressure in the first half, the only player that could put a pass where he wanted it to go, and the only player capable of controlling a ball at his feet (I may be being a bit harsh here, turns out he was injured, but is that another Holger special?). so on trots jedi, looking like the muppet he is, and his first real involvement in the game is to give away the penalty. I agree, soft as boiling butter, but god, how stupid are we? We’ve played in asia getting close to 10 years now and we still haven’t worked out NOT to jump in when the ball is in the box???

Anyway, after doing that he then disappears from the game until 15 minutes to go or so, when up he pops again to stupidly attempt to get to a ball he was never going to get, over-commits in the attempt and completely exposes our back two (who are either old and slow, slow and dumb, or old, slow and dumb) with three attackers streaming forward. Now jedi, clearly realising his error, tracks back to provide cover. Well, when I say tracks back, I mean casually jogs back with an attacker, keeping the attacker outside him. All good so far, but what’s this, he may be in the right position relative to the sideline, but f#$% me if he isn’t 2m closer to the half way line than his attacker. Needless to say, lucas does his age old pathetic attempt at a tackle, the cross comes in to jedi’s man who finishes nicely. Yes Mile, it is difficult to tackle the man WHEN YOU ARE FRIGGING BEHIND HIM!!!!!

I want a new rule brought into socceroos selection criteria, and I want it called the ‘Lucas Utlimatum’. If you choose to go to a cashed up middle eastern league, you will never play for the socceroos again. Lucas, spiranovic, og, bresciano. All gone. Clearly, the lesser standard really suits some players, bresciano was easily our best and is clearly still a class above. The other three have gone so far backwards we may as well start blooding new fullbacks. Bresciano is the innocent that must suffer in this scenario, but there are bigger things at stake here than one man’s career.

And finally, when are these bellends going to realize we aren’t kings of asia, and nor have we ever been. I got the distinct impression they turned up tonight thinking they had this in the bag, and they got steamrolled (only for the third time by the Jordan coach mind you, so it should have come as a complete shock to them!). to say they put in a 50% effort would denigrate the weekend warriors that actually manage to put in a half decent effort.

And how the hell does archie keep doing it, and worse, why does nobody else look like they can?

So, in summary:

• Gutless
    • Stupid
    • Geriatric
    • Skill-less
    • Naïve

/rant

Nice angry review Belchardo..
    After reading that I am pretty glad I opted for my dreamless sleep as opposed to watching that waking nightmare..
    Copping it off all the Thugby meat-heads at work today..

Thin air is better than David Carney. How he still gets a gig i suppose no one really knows.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    jedinak was actually pretty decent on the ball for once. should have scored that header and had a great shot smack off the post. his challenge for the penalty was stupid, though.

bresciano was injured in that aerial contest as the end of the first half.

Watching us play slow, dull, unintelligent "football" yet again I came to a striking conclusion, maybe we're just not good enough?

As I watched and shuddered as we lost control, held on for it for too long and generally were stagnant all round the pitch I came to the obvious conclusion that the players on the pitch were just not good enough. Watching yet another team "we should beat" be more direct, sharper and more fluid in possession that us was so frustrating. You see the Jordanian attackers swivelling, turning, using guile to try and create opportunities, running in to good spaces etc, it's depressing. When Tim Cahill is your player with the best technique (bresc probably shades him) then you're in trouble (no offence timmy).

Brosque, Timmy, Kruse, Hollman, none of them are "smart" players that are going to dart in to space, play the quick 1 / 2 etc. We still show no signs of fluidity when we have possession. We get the ball and try and play this possession game at a very slow tempo which ultimately leads to either us losing possession or hoofing it in to the box.

It's so frustrating seeing teams like Thailand and Iraq actually play the game and look exciting going forward.

I tried to think of players we could, SHOULD, bring in to up the tempo. There are options like Ruka, Leckie, Burns etc but they're not even playing regularly. Maybe we're just not good enough? We are constantly being out-shone technically by ALL teams we play, maybe our ethos of "good engines" and athleticism in this country is finally coming back to bight us in the arse.

C*nts F*cked.

Belchardo's review is the most accurate piece I've read about this match.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Dia-f’n-bolical.
    And finally, when are these bellends going to realize we aren’t kings of asia, and nor have we ever been. I got the distinct impression they turned up tonight thinking they had this in the bag, and they got steamrolled (only for the third time by the Jordan coach mind you, so it should have come as a complete shock to them!). to say they put in a 50% effort would denigrate the weekend warriors that actually manage to put in a half decent effort.
    Amen ffs.

how did spira go when he came on?
    OK

+1 Bel. TY. You saved me a heap of typing....

One of my observations is these 'shit games' we have every now and then, although of late, they're becoming more regular.
    Bahrain last campaign is one of many poor performances where we got away with it.

How do you have a cracking game against Japan then play dross v Denmark, Scotland, and Jordan?
    Wot about the Asian Cup games? I thought there was hope after that tournament that we'd started to integrate some of the younger players.

Since the modern professional era we have these lacklustre preformances from professional players that should know better.
    Maybe that's the problem. The professional Aussie player. The old days the players gave 100% for the shirt and crest. Not the majority of that mob last night.
    We lost games because we were outclassed or unlucky. It wasn't from lack of trying.
    I wonder what sort of messages some of the younger players are getting, bench warming and watching that guff we had to sit through last night.

When we did score it was from a simple wall pass, along the ground. I think Archie's shot was the only real shot apart from Jedi's that had any venom.
    Think I might try to find a vid of Jap v Jordan and check out how their 6 came again.

My cuz texted me this morning "I didn't want to go to Brazil anyway!"
    I texted back " The way they played, I don't think they want to either...."

PS
    Did anyone else notice watch the Fox feed how Bozza looked?
    Pastey white, red eyes...real sick looking. Worse than he normally does.
    Looked like something from one of Peter Jackson's early films.