Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup Qualifying

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Jet View Post
    PS
    Did anyone else notice watch the Fox feed how Bozza looked?
    Pastey white, red eyes...real sick looking. Worse than he normally does.
    Looked like something from one of Peter Jackson's early films.
    Don't think the late night makeup people are up to scratch at Fox. One late game last year, Bozza looked similar and Mel had that much makeup she looked like she's wandered in from working the Cross !

Banned
    You know the most frustrating part of this is that even if we qualify Holger is setting us up for an arse whooping in Brazil like we copped in Sth Africa.

Holgers brief is to qualify us for the WC. As a result he will do what is required to get us there and damn the long term consequences to football in this country. The Socceroos have been in need of regenerating for about 3 years now and we see no action being taken. This is all down to the FFA structuring Osieks contract giving him a great bonus if we qualify. As a result why would Holger take any risks like putting in rookies inexperienced players when all he has to do is stick with the tried and trusted to get us there?? We had exactly the same problem under Verbeek

Don't give me any crap that our young players Leckie, Oar , Langerak etc aren't playing first team football so don't deserve to be picked. They just plain well ain't getting a go as the older generation are being allowed to run the show and hang around for ever.

Someone at the FFA needs to look at the big picture here grow a set and turn up and say to Lucas and Schwarzer and co thanks for your efforts guys time to go. All football nations have to purge their stars from the NT at some stage in their careers so why is it so hard for us to do??

Carney gets picked from a reserve team of Uzbekistan. Archie gets picked during the HAL pre season. If that is the basis of our selection policies why can't we pick an Oar Amini Leckie etc who ain't playing first team in Europe??

Everyone keeps saying these blokes haven't stepped up to demand their place. Well that requires opportunity first and opportunity is sadly being denied

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I'm as worried about the World Cup as I am that we host the Asian Cup a year later

we're going to get slaughtered on home soil and it's going to be ugly

sure the current crop aren't as good as c.2006, but trying to extend those guys beyond their used by date is myopic and stupid and doomed to fail

we'll be right with all the ordinary gumbies in our team the 4-3-3 will kick in and save us all in a couple of years
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Banned
    I seriously doubt we will. I struggle to understand how we are so good in Asia. Teams ranked well below us Oman Thailand turn up and play us off the park but somehow we win. Nearly all of these Asian teams have some serious issues between their ears and pay us way too much respect and don't really believe they are better than us. Let's be honest our football is still pretty crap and all our overseas players aren't stars but workmanlike. What's gonna happen when some of these Asian teams realise the great Australian team isn't that good!!

When they believe they can beat us they will as our football is still massively behind most of them despite them having peasant like infrastructure. We will always remain quite competitive at home but are gonna be in for a hell of a lot more beatings on the road to teams we expect to beat

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    What's gonna happen when some of these Asian teams realise the great Australian team isn't that good!!
    already happened

Thanks to a few draws we are still in with a show.

I'm all for bringing in younger players, and I'm sure that it's something Holger would've done a long time ago were it not for the fact that our next generation are all sitting on the bench 5th division of Germany or whatever. It would turn the national team into a joke if we start thinking that Zullo, Leckie, Holland, Spira, Milligan, etc. are good enough to be in the starting line-up.

The only alternative I see to the current approach is giving younger players from the A-League a real run in the national team, at least that would provide a boost to the national competition. Prepare yourselves for several steps down in team quality if we go down that path though. I would estimate we'd go from being ranked 25th to somewhere in the 60s or 70s.

i think it's about playing the younger guys for more than a 10min cameo, and giving them more exposure, and letting their reps get higher & wanted by more clubs who would actually play them.
    OK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    I'm all for bringing in younger players, and I'm sure that it's something Holger would've done a long time ago were it not for the fact that our next generation are all sitting on the bench 5th division of Germany or whatever. It would turn the national team into a joke if we start thinking that Zullo, Leckie, Holland, Spira, Milligan, etc. are good enough to be in the starting line-up.

The only alternative I see to the current approach is giving younger players from the A-League a real run in the national team, at least that would provide a boost to the national competition. Prepare yourselves for several steps down in team quality if we go down that path though. I would estimate we'd go from being ranked 25th to somewhere in the 60s or 70s.
    Problem also lies here that when we are playing a friendly we still are refusing to give our next generation a go. When we played Scotland do we need to have Schwarzer in the nets for his 546th cap?? Why can't Mat Ryan, Mitch Langerak Federici be given games here. Build the competition for spots so Holger has to actually think about picking blokes.

There is also some massive issues with who is being picked as our reserves. Archie Thompson up until last week hadn't scored for Australia in 6 years. He couldn't hit a cows are with a banjo in the HAL last year so why was he even in Lebanon/Jordan?? Form doesn't warrant it. Why wasn't Balbalj / Tombidies / Bulut given a go. Can't be any worse than the hacks running around with walking frames still representing the Socceroos.

Youth has not been given a go under Verbeek or Holger. This team needed regeneration 3 years ago minimum. Have a look at who has been brought along to be considered First XI players by Verbeek >> Holman Holger >> McKay

Each bloke has barely brought through one player from nobody to First XI. Says something doesn't it??

Archie's gets a gig based on the "every team needs a jester" rule.

His inclusion in the squad also serves to give all the guys on the fringes the hope they need to continue to push for a spot.... "if archie gets a spot, surely I will too sometime soon"

It keeps the next group of players striving for a gig, and not giving up.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 15-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Why can't Mat Ryan, be given games here.
    cause he's Gypo scum.
    Wash your mouth out Member.

Langers > Gypo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    cause he's Gypo scum.
    Wash your mouth out Member.

Langers > Gypo
    I was leaving that bit out I was just mentioning blokes that other in the Aussie Football fraternity rate highly. This is about the Socceroos and club allegiances should be left at the door. During the game he is a Socceroo (except when they make blatant ****ups ie. he misses blatant goals from free headers and gives away dumb needless penalties (ie JEDINAK YOU GYPO SCUM) and then their gyponess can be cursed). Once the game is over back to Gypo scum

I was leaving that bit out I was just mentioning blokes that other in the Aussie Football fraternity rate highly. This is about the Socceroos and club allegiances should be left at the door. During the game he is a Socceroo (except when they make blatant ****ups ie. he misses blatant goals from free headers and gives away dumb needless penalties (ie JEDINAK YOU GYPO SCUM) and then their gyponess can be cursed). Once the game is over back to Gypo scum
    put this in the rules section

Rules from previous foz still apply.

That is to say the rules don't apply when dealing with Gypos
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

I wasn't sure where to put this, but the bloke brings up some pretty interesting points about the Socceroo's and football in general in this country..

http://banegasview.blogspot.com.au/2...ck-of.html?m=1

(I'm not sure how to get the article to actually appear on here the way some of you boys put up the daily news stuff, so if someone can edit it and chuck it up like that, cheers)

I actually blame the rise of the A-League.

Think about it. A lot of the top players previously would be playing overseas for roughly the same coin. Playing a lot more games ect. Now they can earn good money for less game time in the A-League.

The players who do go overseas are playing in lower lever leagues and shit because they couldn't get a run in the A-League.

Think about it.

The gap between the nsl folding and the a-league starting.... Or the Nyl infact, hasn't helped either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    The gap between the nsl folding and the a-league starting.... Or the Nyl infact, hasn't helped either.
    yeah, think this is critical. we're in for a few more years of pain i think until we get a "new breed" that has been in the broader a-league system since they were 15 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Rules from previous foz still apply.

That is to say the rules don't apply when dealing with Gypos
    so you like a gypo to miss a pen for aussie. boooooooooo

Not sure how recent this news is but David Carney dropped for the game against Iraq because he doesn't have a club. Hopefully he doesn't have a club until Brazil...
    McKay said to take his place at left-back