Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Thread aka Havent even done a half yet?

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    jeez. hopefully some/all of that goes to charity or something!

should be a bit different and a bit of fun anyway.
    for profit company. only 5km. easily 75% chicks. so it's more about people feeling good about themselves since they are exercising (reward themselves later) and having fun (not losing).

"brands don't sell products, they sell actualisations of their brand identity" - naomi klein

I am not a runner, firstly because I have annihilated my hips knees and ankles with years of basketball and martial arts and the doctors have told me not to. This is awesome as I think it is so boring and only just shades swimming for the most mind numbing form of exercise. Gotta be running kicking or bouncing a ball to make it interesting for me. In saying that I am taking my kids to the colour run as they will love it and I can walk as fast as they can run at this age. Didn't look into it I guess but I was pretty sure the money (ir at least part if it) went to charity

Do you donate to a charity or cause?

YES, we do. One of our greatest visions for The Color Run™ is bringing fun, memories, and fundraising to local communities. We select a different organisation for each city. To see the specific charity we use for each city, check out the location’s race page.
    doesn't say how much though.

The Swisse Color Run is proud to partner with the Celebrate Life Foundation and Make-A-Wish® Australia as our joint major charity partner in Newcastle.
    The newly established Celebrate Life Foundation, founded by Swisse, raises funds for integrative medicine research and health promotion, with 100% of proceeds donated to the chosen charities and integrative medicine research institutions.

In Newcastle we will also support Make-A-Wish in their mission to make wishes come true for children with life-threatening medical conditions. In New South Wales, there are currently 95 wishes waiting.
    looks like they learned a thing or two from lance in the "how to make a income source look like a charity" side of things.

but seriously, i guess put aside the dodgy marketing and enjoy the event and a day out with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    I am not a runner, firstly because I have annihilated my hips knees and ankles with years of basketball and martial arts and the doctors have told me not to. This is awesome as I think it is so boring and only just shades swimming for the most mind numbing form of exercise. Gotta be running kicking or bouncing a ball to make it interesting for me. In saying that I am taking my kids to the colour run as they will love it and I can walk as fast as they can run at this age. Didn't look into it I guess but I was pretty sure the money (ir at least part if it) went to charity
    Agreed. All power to the people who get enjoyment out of it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

swisse (n)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Yeah they did 50 odd-km the other weekend.

They're going to do it - i've got no doubt about it.

Pete has done so well to have trained to run 60km in 3 months. Cory has done an amazing job with him.
    Excellent effort by everyone involved yesterday. The hot weather took it's toll on Pete who cramped up at Redhead on the way back for the final time. He still completed 52km which is a great achievement.

Cory and Beth (and Jess too?) made the whole 60km trek which was a credit to them - sorry if I missed anyone!

Excellent effort by everyone involved yesterday. The hot weather took it's toll on Pete who cramped up at Redhead on the way back for the final time. He still completed 52km which is a great achievement.

Cory and Beth (and Jess too?) made the whole 60km trek which was a credit to them - sorry if I missed anyone!
    nice. i realise it probably wasn't timed, but how long did it take them?

makes my 17km run seem paltry.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    nice. i realise it probably wasn't timed, but how long did it take them?

makes my 17km run seem paltry.
    It was roughly timed. They took off from Planet Fitness at 6:00am. All runners, no matter how far they ran, met out the front of the stadium. We ran in at about 12:00, so 6 hours.

Cory does runs in Africa that are 90km long but to maintain a pace of 6 minute kms over a 6 hour period is a fantastic effort. She's super fit!

I have a new appreciation for the distances and 17 is still a long way! A friend and I did 21km so credit to you. We both agreed we wouldn't have got that distance if we didn't do it together - much easier running with someone else.

It was roughly timed. They took off from Planet Fitness at 6:00am. All runners, no matter how far they ran, met out the front of the stadium. We ran in at about 12:00, so 6 hours.

Cory does runs in Africa that are 90km long but to maintain a pace of 6 minute kms over a 6 hour period is a fantastic effort. She's super fit!

I have a new appreciation for the distances and 17 is still a long way! A friend and I did 21km so credit to you. We both agreed we wouldn't have got that distance if we didn't do it together - much easier running with someone else.
    Did tough mudder the other week, 20kms cross country run with obstacles and shit involved man that was a tough day

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    they've made a telemovie miniseries thing about my running hero, Cliff Young

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/04/...our-lives.html

starts on the ABC in a fortnight

ran the Canberra Park Run this morning. 5km. it was good fun.

http://www.parkrun.com.au/

they have one in Newcastle, recommend it if you don't know about it. best thing is it's free and on every week!

http://www.parkrun.com.au/newy/

Newy Parkrun is good fun. Its getting very crowded now. I believe they have one at Lake Mac and Maitland too??

So are there any runners/joggers out there?

I went along and did my first Newy Park Run today, in the rain, with my wife and a few friends.

Enjoyed it - they all do a great job! Will be returning.
    Yeah man!

I do 10k at least a couple of times a week. Normally around 42 minutes, pb is 39 which i know isn't blistering but i'm happy enough with the results i'm seeing in general fitness and wellbeing. Or at least i was, i broke my 5th metatarsal in june and i'm only just walking again. Arse.

sub 40 minute 10km is pretty quick in my book.

ran the lake mac half marathon last weekend in 1:47. 10 minutes slower than my previous best, but i was carrying a cold. second worst i've felt on a run in my life, behind the last 15km of the marathon. aiming for 95 minutes at the next half marathon (maybe the one on the central coast in late November), with a view to breaking 90 minutes next year.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Yeah man!

I do 10k at least a couple of times a week. Normally around 42 minutes, pb is 39 which i know isn't blistering but i'm happy enough with the results i'm seeing in general fitness and wellbeing. Or at least i was, i broke my 5th metatarsal in june and i'm only just walking again. Arse.
    That's flying mate!! I think anyway. Good luck on your recovery!

sub 40 minute 10km is pretty quick in my book.

ran the lake mac half marathon last weekend in 1:47. 10 minutes slower than my previous best, but i was carrying a cold. second worst i've felt on a run in my life, behind the last 15km of the marathon. aiming for 95 minutes at the next half marathon (maybe the one on the central coast in late November), with a view to breaking 90 minutes next year.
    Good job. Well done.

Once football is over I'll be back into it again doing Parkrun on a weekly basis and training for a run April next year. I'm looking forward to it. Have a mate I run with and trying to get Mrs Jeterpool into it as well. She managed to train for a 5km run and did it under 30 minutes which was agreat achievement for her and smashed her goal.

That's flying mate!! I think anyway. Good luck on your recovery!
    Cheers dude, on both. I use a garmin 305 for timing and if anyone's just getting into running i strongly recommend something similar because you can download your runs onto a computer and analyse them. Down side is every time it ticks past 27 minutes i think that's when that bloody mo farah would be finishing.

Now then, there's a half marathon in newcastle uk called the great north run which i've wanted to do for a few years, but try as i might whenever i go beyond about 12k to 13k i just, well fail. This has been going on about 3 years, 10k time has dropped but stamina has plataeued.

Cheers dude, on both. I use a garmin 305 for timing and if anyone's just getting into running i strongly recommend something similar because you can download your runs onto a computer and analyse them. Down side is every time it ticks past 27 minutes i think that's when that bloody mo farah would be finishing.

Now then, there's a half marathon in newcastle uk called the great north run which i've wanted to do for a few years, but try as i might whenever i go beyond about 12k to 13k i just, well fail. This has been going on about 3 years, 10k time has dropped but stamina has plataeued.
    Interesting what happens when you reach the 12km mark. Perhaps if there is a personal trainer on the forum they could suggest something?

I'm aiming for 30km next year. I managed 23km this year but had a do 1km efforts after about the 13km mark. To be fair to myself I played a game of football the day before and was sporting a swollen ankle and sore hammy.

Aiming for between 3hrs - 3.5 hrs finish time.

I'm using my phone to track the run and a Suunto M5 for hear rate.

When will the next Great North Run be? Good luck when you get back into training.

Funnily enough i was talking to a bloke at work a few months back, who runs half and full marathons, and he's 56 (the bastard ) and he's convinced my issues are mental. Says there no way a bloke who can do the first 10k in 40 minutes should hit a wall at 13k and be basically run / walk / running shortly after. The plan for this summer was to spend some time training with him. But that went south.

Next GNR is mid sept so registration is well past, but if i can get running again soon there's heaps of time to prepare for next year.

Sounds from your plans and aims you have the bug too. I'd have been amazed ten years ago if someone told me i'd spend my time running through the countryside.

Funnily enough i was talking to a bloke at work a few months back, who runs half and full marathons, and he's 56 (the bastard ) and he's convinced my issues are mental. Says there no way a bloke who can do the first 10k in 40 minutes should hit a wall at 13k and be basically run / walk / running shortly after. The plan for this summer was to spend some time training with him. But that went south.

Next GNR is mid sept so registration is well past, but if i can get running again soon there's heaps of time to prepare for next year.

Sounds from your plans and aims you have the bug too. I'd have been amazed ten years ago if someone told me i'd spend my time running through the countryside.
    I'd agree with this bloke. Back the pace off a little and you should be able to cruise to a pretty quick half marathon time. The training program I'm using to go sub 90 minutes has about 42 minutes as a guide for the 10km distance.

I'd agree with this bloke. Back the pace off a little and you should be able to cruise to a pretty quick half marathon time. The training program I'm using to go sub 90 minutes has about 42 minutes as a guide for the 10km distance.
    That's the plan, i can only walk a few hundred yards at a time at the minute cause of the foot but i'm hoping to get the green light for running in the next few weeks.

I don't suppose it's an issue this time of year, but through summer do you have to plan your runs due to temperature? It's permanently chilly and damp here which for me is ideal, i'd love to see how i got on during a hot and humid NSW january.