Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Thread aka Havent even done a half yet?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    I'm not doing it, but i'm already up to 105km since 1/1/14.

marathon training. have now reached the 'oh god why am i doing this????" distance. seems to happen between 25 and 29km on the long runs.
    Great effort! Kepp going. That will be a great achievement.

My mate and I have been roped into doing 35km for the Run With A Storey in Newcastle later this year. Sounds stupid, but we might get to the 35km mark and go "Why not run and extra 7km and do a marathon".

Keep us posted how you go

What running app are you guys using?

I've tried a few but I'm yet to find one I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Great effort! Kepp going. That will be a great achievement.

My mate and I have been roped into doing 35km for the Run With A Storey in Newcastle later this year. Sounds stupid, but we might get to the 35km mark and go "Why not run and extra 7km and do a marathon".

Keep us posted how you go
    We did our first real training session yesterday - a 15km run. Felt good for the most of it but I'm pretty sore today. I applied the "hair of the dog" theory and went to the gym this morning too. Foam rollers are awesome.

Up it ti about 18-20km next run and we'll go in the morning when it's cooler and we're fresher.

I use polar personal trainer to track my exercise (as I have a polar watch/gps/heartrate monitor). the idea of carrying a phone around when I'm running doesn't appeal to me.

on your distances, I recommend you only increase by 10% each individual run (i.e. if you do a long run of 15km, do 16.5km for your long run the next week) and for the cumulative kilometres each week. you'll feel better later on when the kilometres are really ramping up because you'll have given yourself time to build some muscle. I jumped up in distances too quickly at one point and gave myself problems with my knees. basically the quads/hammies weren't strong enough and the knee joint was trying to do all the work. better to be a little short on km trained but injury free in my opinion. adrenalin/stubborn-ness will get you across the line on the day of the event, even if you're crawling.

definitely run in the cool.

I've had a lazy week (i.e. not run at all), so this Saturday I'm going to aim for a 20 minute park run. I've run sub 21 minutes in Edinburgh, but the fastest I've run at my "home" parkrun is 21:54. i'll be happy just to lower my PB really.

on your distances...
    unless of course last week was a really light week for you and the previous weeks you've been hitting 18-20km regularly.

I use polar personal trainer to track my exercise (as I have a polar watch/gps/heartrate monitor). the idea of carrying a phone around when I'm running doesn't appeal to me.

on your distances, I recommend you only increase by 10% each individual run (i.e. if you do a long run of 15km, do 16.5km for your long run the next week) and for the cumulative kilometres each week. you'll feel better later on when the kilometres are really ramping up because you'll have given yourself time to build some muscle. I jumped up in distances too quickly at one point and gave myself problems with my knees. basically the quads/hammies weren't strong enough and the knee joint was trying to do all the work. better to be a little short on km trained but injury free in my opinion. adrenalin/stubborn-ness will get you across the line on the day of the event, even if you're crawling.

definitely run in the cool.

I've had a lazy week (i.e. not run at all), so this Saturday I'm going to aim for a 20 minute park run. I've run sub 21 minutes in Edinburgh, but the fastest I've run at my "home" parkrun is 21:54. i'll be happy just to lower my PB really.
    What Parkrun do you do? I was doing Lake Mac but I've changed to Blackbutt because it's closer to home. A jog down there could be my warm up.

unless of course last week was a really light week for you and the previous weeks you've been hitting 18-20km regularly.
    And no, 15km is my limit at the moment.

I appreciate the tip based on your experience. I was certainly struggling at about 14km - psychological I reckon because I knew I was near the end. My knee was starting to hurt at about 12km. What you say makes sense. My mate who is a personal trainer suggested we do the 2-5km ups. She does 90km runs though...

The run is May 4th so we have time.

Plus my training buddy and I aren't against stopping and having a walk for a minute and then keeping on going, plus we stop and have a drink when we can.

On a side note - the fernleigh track needs more water bubblers. Maybe that needs to go into WGMG thread.

I run Ginninderra down in Canberra, but I have also run Maitland

in-laws live in Kotara, and we've been planning to do the Belmont or newy runs. blackbutt (which is the closest obviously) seems like a tough course. It would certainly be the toughest I have ever run. is it as hilly as I think it is?

if I run blackbutt next time I'm up i'll give you a shout before.

I run Ginninderra down in Canberra, but I have also run Maitland

in-laws live in Kotara, and we've been planning to do the Belmont or newy runs. blackbutt (which is the closest obviously) seems like a tough course. It would certainly be the toughest I have ever run. is it as hilly as I think it is?

if I run blackbutt next time I'm up i'll give you a shout before.
    Sounds good! Look forward to it.

Yeah it is hilly. There's one within the first KM. You start near the duck pond on the lambton side, run back towards the main road and go up, over and down to the kangaroo and emu pens. Then you run back into the park and up three little rises before one steep rise. That's 2km. After that you run down a 750m stretch turn around and run back up it. That's the killer (i reckon). After that it's all down hill pretty much. You need to run it twice - once to get to know the course so you know where to make efforts and the second to actually do it properly.

It's tough however I found going back to the flat ones I found it a bit boring...but my time was quicker and I felt much stronger.

What running app are you guys using?

I've tried a few but I'm yet to find one I really like.
    I use strava

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I use strava
    How do you find it? I use runkeeper and I find it alright. I dislike all the "purchase this, purchase that". But that's every app these days

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Sums up pretty well why i run. But i wasn't a fat kid, nor do i like nutella.

Knocked 67 seconds off my Blackbutt parkrun time last week. Got under my goal of 25 minute with a 24:40. No idea how I did it but I was stuffed! Stoked!

Aiming for 18km run this weekend. Weather should be good for it.

nice work. took about 40 seconds off my fastest at Ginninderra last week.

going to do the Fernleigh track (both directions) tomorrow, 32km all up by the time I get back to the in-laws. should be fun!

nice work. took about 40 seconds off my fastest at Ginninderra last week.

going to do the Fernleigh track (both directions) tomorrow, 32km all up by the time I get back to the in-laws. should be fun!
    Bugger! I'm doing Fernleigh early Sunday morning! Could have said g'day. I'm doing what you said and stepping up to 18km.

No intention of doing Blackbutt Parkrun tomorrow or are you travelling?

Bugger! I'm doing Fernleigh early Sunday morning! Could have said g'day. I'm doing what you said and stepping up to 18km.

No intention of doing Blackbutt Parkrun tomorrow or are you travelling?
    coming up tonight. going to the game tomorrow night, so will not be in any shape to run on Sunday morning. will hit the Fernleigh track sometime before 7am tomorrow morning, so no parkrun.

Whenever I see this thread I think;

Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post
    Mate I've actually had big issues with plastic pool toys they can get wrecked quite easily. Best to get ones that are solid, like the beanbag seat for pools.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post

I didn't see you last weekend...?

That's how the fernleigh track feels anyway

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post

I've got one of those caps..

So I did the Fernleigh with a group of 4 others yesterday morning. They were doing up to 30km and encouraged me to go to 20km.
    I made the 20 is 1hr 57. My longest run and non-stop (except for drink breaks). Really happy with how it went. I'm just glad I didn't stitch up again at 13km but I did get a few niggles. Do you guys find you just go numb and it's actually harder to stop than it is to keep going?

Anyway, 22km next time. Getting closer to Jewells all the time.