Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Thread aka Havent even done a half yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Beat my PB again on the weekend. 22:58. It was a real struggle though but I'm very happy with the time
    Jeezus. That is flying.

I recently hit my 50th parkrun. Got hooked
    OK

he's gone now i reckon.

and parkruns like that innit

He missed sub 2hours by 25 seconds!

Bullshit that it can't be counted as a record imo
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    60:37 in the city to surf today.

Anybody else do it?
    Old post.......but am I reading this right. 60 mins 37 secs?????

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Old post.......but am I reading this right. 60 mins 37 secs?????
    Yep. He's quick
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Yep. He's quick
    That's lightening fast, and would require sprinting the start in the red group to beat the bottle neck. So impressive stuff.

As is your Parkrun PR btw Mr Pool. I only ever do Parkrun with my kids so never test myself at 5km as long distance is more my thing.

Parkrun is a awesome asset and you are blessed for choice in Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    That's lightening fast, and would require sprinting the start in the red group to beat the bottle neck. So impressive stuff.

As is your Parkrun PR btw Mr Pool. I only ever do Parkrun with my kids so never test myself at 5km as long distance is more my thing.

Parkrun is a awesome asset and you are blessed for choice in Newcastle
    Ha ha thanks mate. That PB was a few years ago prior to kids (so at least 3) and on the Lake Mac track. I am nowhere near that anymore and used to do Blackbutt more regularly as it's close to home and some people I knew did it. I had an injury last year and have struggled to get back into running. Maybe one day.

For interest, my friend completed her 10th consecutive run of Comrades in South Africa. If you've never heard of it, look it up. It's a 90km run between Durban and Pietermaritzburg (sorry for the spelling). She once again broke 9 hours. The mens winner finished in around 5 and a half hours. The women's winner around an hour after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

That said, it's not so bad in canberra as there isn't much humidity. Winter not so much fun though.
    Last edited by online; 07-06-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Anyone done one of those NZ running tours? A few companies do them and I hear they're increasingly popular. A week or so running in the mountains each day, up to about 20km/day but with a lot of climbing.

I'm keen to know what the food & accom is like because they don't seem to list many details of that.

and parkruns like that innit
    Turns out I got REALLY hooked. Joined one of the runnings clubs, and am even a Run Director now ops:

Also, training plan starts next month to get set for my first marathon next year :O aiming for 4:30 or thereabouts time
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Turns out I got REALLY hooked. Joined one of the runnings clubs, and am even a Run Director now ops:

Also, training plan starts next month to get set for my first marathon next year :O aiming for 4:30 or thereabouts time
    Why ? You have a car ffs.

Jokes aside - yer a brave man - no way would I put my body through that type of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Why ? You have a car ffs.

Jokes aside - yer a brave man - no way would I put my body through that type of pain.
    I don't think MFKFC frequents this thread so I should be all in the clear.. the bravest part was convincing the Mrs to be happy with me putting together the plan that will see me running basically 5 days a week for half a year + the 3 weeks I'll be travelling abroad to actually do the thing ops:
    OK

nice work. on both the run directoring and the marathon attempt. where are you planning to run?

i'm kicking off my training for the canberra marathon in about a month.

I don't think MFKFC frequents this thread so I should be all in the clear.. the bravest part was convincing the Mrs to be happy with me putting together the plan that will see me running basically 5 days a week for half a year + the 3 weeks I'll be travelling abroad to actually do the thing ops:
    yewwwww... im sure will smash it.. Where as il be at the finishing line drinking a pint :P :P
    Amigos Aarau

nice work. on both the run directoring and the marathon attempt. where are you planning to run?

i'm kicking off my training for the canberra marathon in about a month.
    Thanks pal!

All booked in for the Hamburg Marathon in late April.
    OK

woo! new parkrun up your way. unfortunately it's in coastie territory. san remo. post run coffee has to be at the doylo!

Only just found this thread now! Nice to see some other runners around. I’m a parkrun regular (around 110 done I think?) and PB is 21:24 at Lake Mac but that was 2yrs back... after playing fri night o35s this year, I put the brakes on running Sat morning until August when I started again. I can usually get around ~23mins on a good day. I don’t run enough though which is why I can’t ever get it lower on a consistent basis.

great 14km run today, despite having a cold and the torrential downpour halfway through (actually, i love running in pouring rain. must be the drainage engineer in me).

one of those runs that reminds you why you run despite all the tough runs.

closest i feel to how griff must feel all the time.

woo! new parkrun up your way. unfortunately it's in coastie territory. san remo. post run coffee has to be at the doylo!
    The Region of Runners already has a dozen courses, with Cessnock coming eventually too.

I've done both the existing Central Coast runs. Mount Penang is tacky and I don't like it. The Entrance was ok, and the early start time actually makes it pretty good. San Remo I'm led to believe the council and/or government actually got this one going, because they see the area as high-risk with hoodlums and degenerates and they needed more community activities. It launches on 2018-01-27.

yo halo - are you frequenting Lake Mac or venturing around? Come say gday when I'm up on the table pal! I envy your PB, and your consistent time still!

I actually hit a PB on Xmas Day! And I am 2 runs away from regionaire - it's been unreal venturing to all the Novocastrian Region of Runners courses! My favourite so far has been Blackbutt, and my least favourite Lakeview.

Did anyone do #thedouble on New Years Day? Far out what amazing vibes at The Beaches to finish it off! I hope they do that every year, was genuinely fantastic. I never got around to doing the Triple Threat, so can't directly compare, but man the double was fun!

Currently in Week Five of my marathon training plan. Been going well so far! But the next few long runs are starting to get daunting - did a 16k last Sunday and this upcoming one is 19k. In 3 weeks it'll be 24k, which is the longest I've run (longest I've so far done is the Lake Mac Half Marathon).

So here's a question - what works for yall with gels/bars/etc? I'm basically getting some samples of a bunch of stuff and giving them a try. Had my first gel (Winners brand, just what Woolies had on the shelf) on that previously mentioned 16k run and I honestly didn't notice any positive effect BUT I didn't notice a negative one either. I've purchased a few Hammer Gels, which a few people have raved to me about. And I've tried twice, and enjoyed, a Clif Bar after a run. Everyone just tells me to find what works for me and roll with that, which sounds like great advice. But yeah, what works for yall?
    Last edited by pv4; 10-01-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    OK

pv4, so many comments in there to respond to!

The Region of Runners already has a dozen courses, with Cessnock coming eventually too.
    where the hell is cessnock up to? i swear it was this time last year they were after volunteers for the first event!

I've done both the existing Central Coast runs. Mount Penang is tacky and I don't like it. The Entrance was ok, and the early start time actually makes it pretty good. San Remo I'm led to believe the council and/or government actually got this one going, because they see the area as high-risk with hoodlums and degenerates and they needed more community activities. It launches on 2018-01-27.
    have done the entrance, the day before easter last year. we enjoyed the run, but god damn i don't think the council staff had been round the dunnies yet. 3 blocked up completely and the 4th out of bog roll from memory! mount penang is on the list, but when you only come up to visit for a weekend, heading an hour and a half back down the road is not really enticing. we will be attending the san remo launch (anybody else going, we'll (wife and i) be wearing apricot shirts with "ginninderra" as the home run. Brendan is my name). interesting with the council involvement.

I actually hit a PB on Xmas Day! And I am 2 runs away from regionaire - it's been unreal venturing to all the Novocastrian Region of Runners courses! My favourite so far has been Blackbutt, and my least favourite Lakeview.

Did anyone do #thedouble on New Years Day? Far out what amazing vibes at The Beaches to finish it off! I hope they do that every year, was genuinely fantastic. I never got around to doing the Triple Threat, so can't directly compare, but man the double was fun!
    we missed out on christmas day. bloody parents and their insistence on going to mass! we've run on a couple of christmas days (curl curl and cooks river), but we did do a double on new years day down here (tuggeranong and gungahlin). christmas day is a great vibe. new years day, some dude (doing the parkrun) told me off for yelling too loudly about approaching bikes. must have had a big night.

Currently in Week Five of my marathon training plan. Been going well so far! But the next few long runs are starting to get daunting - did a 16k last Sunday and this upcoming one is 19k. In 3 weeks it'll be 24k, which is the longest I've run (longest I've so far done is the Lake Mac Half Marathon).

So here's a question - what works for yall with gels/bars/etc? I'm basically getting some samples of a bunch of stuff and giving them a try. Had my first gel (Winners brand, just what Woolies had on the shelf) on that previously mentioned 16k run and I honestly didn't notice any positive effect BUT I didn't notice a negative one either. I've purchased a few Hammer Gels, which a few people have raved to me about. And I've tried twice, and enjoyed, a Clif Bar after a run. Everyone just tells me to find what works for me and roll with that, which sounds like great advice. But yeah, what works for yall?
    exactly right with "find out what works for you". i generally take a gel on anything longer than a 75 minute run, with about a gel every 45 minutes. i use something with a bit of caffeine in it (vanilla bean or tri-berry gu gels for example), as it seems to give me a little extra pep on the run. i will sometimes have a gel if i'm going on a hard run and feel flat before heading out (like yesterday). your run is overseas yeah? might be worth finding out what they have over there and see if you can get some. don't want to try anything new on the day otherwise you could end up in the shit (figuratively and literally)!

more important i'm finding is what you do after the run. stuff i've read recommends about 4:1 carb to protien ratio and about 800-1000kJ (depends a bit on body weight) within 30 minutes of finishing. i generally have a 600mL chocolate milk and muesli bar when i finish. then have a meal about an hour after that. and drink like a fish. and light stretching after with possible foam rolling of any tight/sore bits will also help. i've generally been doing that this time around and i'm feeling a lot better overall. (don't forget to do some light weight training a few times a week too)
    Last edited by belchardo; 10-01-2018 at 11:53 AM.