Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Running Thread aka Havent even done a half yet?

Cessnock - some Cessnock chick whom I think runs a gym, plus one of our Lake Mac regulars (whom finished 20 seconds behind you in your recent visit to LM!) were teaming up together to get it up and running. But it sounds as if the chick kinda abandoned it, and left it all to our mate. He was super keen to help out and contribute, but wasn't ready to be solely responsible for it. But it's with him, and he is keen etc to get it up and running, but he just needs to invest the time to do it and hasn't had the opportunity yet because of his own life things. BUT he promised me last week he's sorting it, that's his "New Years Resolution". I'd say mid this year hopefully!

I'm now having a good stalk of your parkrun profile ops: I am SO JEALOUS of the amount of different courses you've done! I'm slowly building up, that's good inspiration. Thoughts/questions on the ones you've done:
    - How great was Shellharbour? I did it the wkend just gone and freaking loved it! People kept telling me Sandon Point was more scenic but I disagree. And the Shellharbour course was unreal, hard but unreal!
    - Extremely jealous you got to do North Gong before the course got flipped!! I went there I think it was the 2nd week they had flipped the course, but stupid me didn't read their facebook page so arrived at halfway, ie original start point. The Marshal walks up at 8am on the dot and me and two random girls there went "fxxx" and so ran 7.5km to finish off the run (and then I ran back home, so a sweet 10k parkrun)! Funny, and not what I was prepared for that day! The course would have been so much better the original way, stupid local councils!
    - I am Fingal Bay and Singleton away from Regionaire. I hear Fingal is nice but Singleton is pretty crappy. Hoping to knock these over in the next month or two.
    - make sure you get some extra vols up m8! 3 per year is obviously the goal but don't you go shortchanging it! I'm actually going to hit 25 vols the next time I process results.
    - What is Ginninderra like, is it pram-friendly? My pals do Gungahlin weekly, and like it. Which of the Canberra courses are and aren't pram-friendly?
    - I processed the results when you recently did LM. You should have given me a buzz and a bribe, could have sorted a sweet time for you ops:

Mount Penang is worth doing, but I wouldn't go out of my way again to do it. They hype up the Gardens etc but you barely run thru them. The one cool thing about Mount Penang is you run thru/around the International Football School down there, so it at least has some form of football-esque link.

I can't make it to the San Remo launch, bugger! If you're up this way again though let me know.

If people actually bothered to keep left they wouldn't need to be yelled at. You do your thing! Obviously Lake Mac has the narrow path that cyclists use regularly and I'd rather shout and annoy a hungover runner then have a runner-to-bike accident.

The marathon we're doing actually supplies High5 gels are part of the run, so I was planning on investigating all the gels inc that and hopefully get used to using those so it made it less hassle.

I am freaking useless with post-run recovery! The best I'd do is sometimes go to the parents place for a spa otherwise I barely stretch or warm down or anything! I think particularly as these kms get bigger that I'm going to need to get better with all that.
    OK

For the runners here - do you think people can train to become good runners or is it a pretty much a genetic lottery ? From my experience it's a lot like horse racing - breeding is fundamental. OF the runners I know [so a limited group] pretty much all of them have some pedigree in athletics or a sport where speed and / or endurance is fundamental like tennis, football, and so on. Either Mum, Dad, or a grandparent had the gift so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    For the runners here - do you think people can train to become good runners or is it a pretty much a genetic lottery ? From my experience it's a lot like horse racing - breeding is fundamental. OF the runners I know [so a limited group] pretty much all of them have some pedigree in athletics or a sport where speed and / or endurance is fundamental like tennis, football, and so on. Either Mum, Dad, or a grandparent had the gift so to speak.
    Genetics is the biggy for mine. Some peeps who take it up later to find they can do it quite well. I tried and ima 5km parkrun max. jog, walk, sprint(lol) is my preferred.

Although for some reason I could chase a ball for nearly 90 mins, take it away i cant run.

well, that all comes down to how you class "good runners". if you want to win the olympics, or the berlin marathon, you need genetics and an amazing training regime (among a load of other things).

if you class "good runners" as just those reaching their potential, then no, it's about being willing to put in the training, and then having the time/money/lifestyle to be able to put in the training.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    well, that all comes down to how you class "good runners". if you want to win the olympics, or the berlin marathon, you need genetics and an amazing training regime (among a load of other things).

if you class "good runners" as just those reaching their potential, then no, it's about being willing to put in the training, and then having the time/money/lifestyle to be able to put in the training.
    Was thinking more along the lines of not Olympic Standard but pretty shit hot like people that can break 35min for 10k track run or males that can break 11 seconds over 100m.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 12-01-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    yo halo - are you frequenting Lake Mac or venturing around? Come say gday when I'm up on the table pal! I envy your PB, and your consistent time still!
    I did Callaghan before Xmas and more recently Blue Gum (maybe last weekend or the weekend before, I can't remember?). I'll probably hit up LM tomorrow though!

Looks like halo & belchardo both did San Remo launch.. how was it fellas?
    OK

ran the san remo launch on the weekend. alright course, a few tight spots. nice views for most of the run, but goddamn, i felt like i'd swum the 5km rather than run it. we novocastrians-that-moved-to-canberra cannot handle humidity anymore! as we were driving in i said to my wife "i wonder what the locals think when all these cars rock up". parked the car, got out, this old dude washing his boat asked us what was going on! we couldn't convince him to join us. he seemed more open to it when we came back to leave. parkrun win!

followed it up on the sunday with a 29km run out-and-back on the fernleigh track. again, the humidity! was pretty happy with the run overall though. furthest i've run in about 12 months or so. little bit sore today, but should be good to go again tomorrow.

how's the distance tracking for you pv4?

oh, and vlad the impaler was a good 400m or so in front of second place when he passed me on his way back! i console myself that i was on a slow recovery run, so my time of around twice his is not so bad.

also, glad i was not a volunteer, hour and a half for the last finisher!

I was at Lake Mac the day Vlad hit 15:15. You could tell he was running a special pace that day! Bastard doesn't volunteer though.. would prob get more clients if he did..

Saturday was muggy as fark! Sunday a bit better though. I actually had my longest run to date - 24k! Feeling sore today but alright. From here until my marathon it's on/off ao a "short" long run this sunday but then longer than yesterday in 2 sundays time.

Is anyone else doing the Summer Run series? I missed the first one but am doing this Sunday in Carrington
    OK

What shoes do you guys wear?
    Do you alternate? How regularly do you replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    What shoes do you guys wear?
    Do you alternate? How regularly do you replace them?
    New Balance 1080

I went to Pure Performance and got the whole treadmill video, assessment, etc type deal. I still don't believe half of the people in there are actually trained and truly knowledgeable on that whole "science" but they offered me a few shoes that allegedly matched my running style and the NBs felt alright so rather than do the savvy thing and buy them cheaper online, I caved and bought them in store. Something about supporting local businesses etc. Plus they were sponsoring LM parkrun so it felt nice to fork my money out there.

What I will say, after my "they know nothing" rant above.. is these shoes have been genuinely PERFECT for me! I adore these bastards. They won't last me until the end of my training plan so only a fortnight ago I went back to Pure and told them how perfect they were and what can they offer me for my future shoe to replace them and........ I bought another pair of the same! I haven't yet, but plan to wear the new ones sporadically in the next few weeks and see how long my OG pair last me up until week 20. I think I'll use the new ones fully for a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the race though, if not earlier.

^ I don't pretend to be an expert on all those numbers and timelines etc. All I do know is these NBs have been faultless for me.
    OK

Worst I've had when volunteering was 1:24 and that definitely ruffled some vols feathers
    OK

New Balance 1080

I went to Pure Performance and got the whole treadmill video, assessment, etc type deal. I still don't believe half of the people in there are actually trained and truly knowledgeable on that whole "science" but they offered me a few shoes that allegedly matched my running style and the NBs felt alright so rather than do the savvy thing and buy them cheaper online, I caved and bought them in store. Something about supporting local businesses etc. Plus they were sponsoring LM parkrun so it felt nice to fork my money out there.

What I will say, after my "they know nothing" rant above.. is these shoes have been genuinely PERFECT for me! I adore these bastards. They won't last me until the end of my training plan so only a fortnight ago I went back to Pure and told them how perfect they were and what can they offer me for my future shoe to replace them and........ I bought another pair of the same! I haven't yet, but plan to wear the new ones sporadically in the next few weeks and see how long my OG pair last me up until week 20. I think I'll use the new ones fully for a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the race though, if not earlier.

^ I don't pretend to be an expert on all those numbers and timelines etc. All I do know is these NBs have been faultless for me.
    These workers are overworked and earn less than $20 per week in a city where the average one bedroom apartment costs $725,000. Sort of defeats the purpose of supporting local business.

Rather than buy Asian production New Balance people should purchase the USA made ones and support workers getting paid a real wage more so than legitimising an Asian sweatshop.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 30-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.

These workers are overworked and earn less than $20 per week in a city where the average one bedroom apartment costs $725,000. Sort of defeats the purpose of supporting local business.

Rather than buy Asian production New Balance people should purchase the USA made ones and support workers getting paid a real wage more so than legitimising an Asian sweatshop.
    Is NB not American-made? I genuinely don't know enough about all of this.
    OK

Is NB not American-made? I genuinely don't know enough about all of this.
    NB are one of the few to still produce some of their lines in the USA.
    Nike on the other-hand are a 100% sweatshop operation who sell piss poor quality shoes behind a lot of clever marketing.

Fashion seems to win over function these days in shoes and pretty much everything else which is unfortunate.

I'd gladly pay $1000 for a pair of quality US or Japanese made running shoes rather than $300 for the shit Nike are pawning off these days.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 30-01-2018 at 01:43 PM.

what? for 5km? you cant walk that slow.

As for shoes saucony are my favs although 25+ yrs of football has dashed any chance of running beyond 5's.

Technically I'm still on topic.

Technically I'm still on topic.
    Bravo....

Looks like halo & belchardo both did San Remo launch.. how was it fellas?
    Not bad mate. Nice flat course and even with so may ppl it didn't feel too congested. Should be a comfortable run for the locals every week.