Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Travel Thread..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Travel Thread..

I went looking for the old travel thread but can't find it. So either I am blind, its been deleted, or it was on the old foz..

Anyway, I just booked my tickets back to Europe.. Going in June for approx 3 months.. (Mid season, I know.. But its something I've needed to do ever since I last went in '09..)

Rough idea is to fly in to London, spend a week there, then fly over to Finland, make our way across to Sweden, Norway, down through Denmark and in to Germany..
    Then spend about a month in Germany (I've got friends and family spread all throughout), with a few weeks at the end left free and open, in case some sort of inspiration/idea/plan arises.. (There will definitely be some time devoted to Amsterdam, haha)..

Anyone else been to any of those countries and able to recommend definite things to do, things not to bother with, places to avoid, things to plan for.. Etc..

Before you go to Germany I would stop into Bruge it's sort of on the way. It was my highlight when we were there and a Flanders Field tour is a must
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

get a eurail pass and head down through the low countries

belgium holland etc go off, if heinously expensive at times

go see the major in the dam, he will show you a good time

switzerland switzerland switzerland
    Amigos Aarau

strasbourg is worth a visit if you're in the area. eat as many tarte flambe as you can. fantastic! don't drink krick beer - cherry flavoured vomit juice.

Quote Originally Posted by goaliepersempre View Post
    switzerland switzerland switzerland
    Am I correct in understanding that you are recommending Switzerland?
    Which parts? See what? I was there when I was about 10 years old and only have my swiss army knife to prove I was even there.. And a memory of cows with bells..

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    strasbourg is worth a visit if you're in the area. eat as many tarte flambe as you can. fantastic! don't drink krick beer - cherry flavoured vomit juice.
    Krick beer hey? I didn't realise Strasbourg was so close to the French/German border..
    I'm not sure I'll make it there though. My cousin who I am travelling with has an irrational distaste, bordering on hatred, for the French..

Quote Originally Posted by goaliepersempre View Post
    berlin is a must with prenzlauerberg suburb of berlin is a must
    Yeah Berlin will definitely be visited. I was there in '09 (stayed in Friedrichshain suburb) and it was just brilliant, riding bikes around everywhere whilst drinking largies of cheap German beer.. We were told to place our empties in the gutter, cause it is a way of "giving back" to the city. I didn't understand it until they pointed out that the homeless people pick them up and trade it in for coin..

I've got a few friends (couchsurfer chicks that stayed at our place over the last summer) who are looking to show us around Berlin again..
    What makes Prenzlauerberg worth checking out?

Next trip is two weeks surfing in Fiji later in the year. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Am I correct in understanding that you are recommending Switzerland?
    Which parts? See what? I was there when I was about 10 years old and only have my swiss army knife to prove I was even there.. And a memory of cows with bells..
    Love the Wallis Valley region. Its on the Swiss/Italian border. Stunning area.

Wifes family used to own a chalet up in one of the mountains (Bellwald). Selling it was the worst move ever, used to love going there. Will go back with the kids but it won't be the same.
    Last edited by sammydog; 15-01-2014 at 06:27 PM.

berlin is a must with prenzlauerberg suburb of berlin is a must
    Amigos Aarau

orrite. i know this was run through about 15 times on the old foz, but somebody decided to blow it up...

will be in london for a week in mid/late october. want to go to an EPL match. Arsenal, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Chelsea all playing at home that weekend.

is there any way you can get tickets without becoming a member? must be nice to be in the situation EPL clubs are in: 'you want tickets? buy a membership'

would i have any more luck trying to get tickets to a championship match?

orrite. i know this was run through about 15 times on the old foz, but somebody decided to blow it up...

will be in london for a week in mid/late october. want to go to an EPL match. Arsenal, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Chelsea all playing at home that weekend.

is there any way you can get tickets without becoming a member? must be nice to be in the situation EPL clubs are in: 'you want tickets? buy a membership'

When I was a travel agent I used these guys to book EPL tickets: http://www.sporttours.com.au/soccer/...er-league.html

Got Liverpool v Everton tickets for some clients through them. The catch is they only deliver the tickets to hotels for security reasons, so if you're staying with friends you have to book a night somewhere.

Personally, I bought tickets to Crystal Palace v Bristol City @ Selhurst Park (EPL playoff) three days before the game for bugger all money with no trouble. Still one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced.

Just turn up chief. Few premier league clubs will sell you "walk up" tickets on the day, although newcastle did it for the first time for a league game last saturday. Which says much about the way that fat clown mike ashley is running things. But i gaurantee you if you get to the emirates a couple of hours early you'll see people walking around holding spare tickets in the air.

Fulham have a neutral section of the ground aimed at tourists, so if you get to the cottage a day or two before the match you should be able to get tickets no bother.

the mob we went through are bust.

you migt be able to get palace and west ham on game day.

Arsenal - send nobody a PM
    Chelsea - send bluebeard a message

When we went over, to get tickets at Tottenham we had to join their website. But for lower league games, such as League 1, I think you can just rock up.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

join as in subscribe to the website (for free?) or become a member?

join as in subscribe to the website (for free?) or become a member?
    website I believe
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

there are also sites like seatexchange
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Little closer to home...

Mrs Grim and I are doing a road trip towards the end of next month. Planning around 4 days of driving down through southern tablelands, staying in Benalla then down towards Geelong, along Great Ocean Road and ending up in Adelaide at the end of it all. With the missus being from Adelaide, she's not done any touristy stuff in NSW and it's been a long, long time since I did anything touristy as a kid. What are the highlights down that part of NSW... and what about the trip down through Vic and across to SA?

We will be doing a return trip a few weeks later as well... coming up through Bordertown/Horsham/Ballarat/Bendigo/Shepparton before hitting Benalla and then heading home so any tips for that return trip would be awesome as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Little closer to home...

Mrs Grim and I are doing a road trip towards the end of next month. Planning around 4 days of driving down through southern tablelands, staying in Benalla then down towards Geelong, along Great Ocean Road and ending up in Adelaide at the end of it all. With the missus being from Adelaide, she's not done any touristy stuff in NSW and it's been a long, long time since I did anything touristy as a kid. What are the highlights down that part of NSW... and what about the trip down through Vic and across to SA?

We will be doing a return trip a few weeks later as well... coming up through Bordertown/Horsham/Ballarat/Bendigo/Shepparton before hitting Benalla and then heading home so any tips for that return trip would be awesome as well.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    flight paths around the planet

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Just turn up chief. Few premier league clubs will sell you "walk up" tickets on the day, although newcastle did it for the first time for a league game last saturday. Which says much about the way that fat clown mike ashley is running things. But i gaurantee you if you get to the emirates a couple of hours early you'll see people walking around holding spare tickets in the air.

Fulham have a neutral section of the ground aimed at tourists, so if you get to the cottage a day or two before the match you should be able to get tickets no bother.
    This.
    We got scalped tickets at the Emitates within 2 mins of walking out of the train station.
    Also there's an awesome pub a couple of blocks from Craven Cottage called the Crabtree which we went to a few times and were always talking to blokes who had spares etc.

Just do some research first so you know where you're sitting at certain grounds (use seat maps etc, blokes we know got sold away tix at Emirates and spent the day cowering from abuse).
    Otherwise if you are trying to get to a premium game (2big teams/derbys etc) there's a website I use that is legit and gets guaranteed tix but you will pay good money.
    (We used it for Liverpool v Spurs, Man U v Liverpool and got awesome seats.).

most importantly be early to the ground and start talking to street vendors they will help you out.