Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Travel Thread..

Looking at a trip overseas in Mid November/early December for 2-3 weeks.
    Options at the moment include:
    -UK +/- Bit of a Euro trip
    - Canada/Alaska +/- Bit of US
    - Fiji/Cruise/Pacific Islands
    - Just head up the coast for a week or so and save my leave + $$$ for a bigger trip Next year.

Not sure if thats enough for a decent England + some Europe trip or not. Since i have pretty ambitious plans of things to do while in England/Europe. Just undecided if its worth the $$$ for flights over for 2-3 weeks or not. Predominately want to do England/UK. And since i' over there, figured i may as well do some kind of Euro trip. Not a very seasoned traveller (only done a South Island NZ trip).

Just curious for those that have been if 2-3 weeks is enough time to enjoy the delights of UK.

I was there in February 2011 and we spent 10 days in London alone, and 4 in Manchester. I would say it would depend on if you want to go to any football matches while you were over there. We managed 7 games in 14 days, 6 EPL ones. There's a lot to do if you're interested in going to Wembley, Wimbledon and other football stadiums etc, as well as the typical Westminster, London Eye, Museums etc.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

The flights are not worth it for only 2-3wks. In price and time in the air.

I'd hit up Sth east Asia if you have tight time frame and small budget.

Agree with gaz. The flight to Europe is long. You lose about 2 days each way when you include jet lag, there goes a large chunk of such a short break.

I'd save your leave and your dollars for a longer trip next year. If you're going for europe, in my opinion you need 4 weeks minimum.

Counter points:

- I went to Europe for exactly 2-3 weeks (like 18 days or something) a couple of years back, it was great.
    - All depends on how many places you want to go to of course, but I find about 3-4 nights is fine for large cities.
    - Didn't feel like I wasted my money at all given the length of time, the flights to Europe weren't expensive at all ($1100 return), and all up it cost me about $3000. (Note: student prices for flights, mixed it up with accommodation as well)

Guess it depends on what kind of traveller you are and what you like to do.
    Dunno how some peeps can spend over a week in one city, that would bore me shitless unless I was doing day-trips to other cities nearby.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

once you get to Europe, the flights around the EU are pretty cheap apparently. So there is that.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Go to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

Cheap, not massive flights, cheap

Anybody done the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu?

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Anybody done the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu?
    Yep.
    What do you wanna know?

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Yep.
    What do you wanna know?

Yeah. Any chicks?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Chicks? On the trail? Hundreds. Based on 500 tourists on the trail, and 50/50 split between genders.

In your tour group? depends who your tour company group is.

Awesome!
    Basically, was it amazing?

Assuming you did a tour, how did you find your particular company?
    Fitness required?
    Safety in and around Peru?

It was amazing. Best thing I've done.
    You can't do the trail without being on an organised tour.
    They limit the numbers on the trail to try and protect it so it's not something you can leave to that's minute usually.

We went with GAP and they were great, 12 travellers from all over the world, 4 Aussies, 2 Irish, 2 Japanese, a German, a yank and two Canadians..... We saw Gecko groups that were packed with Aussies, we shared a long boat in the amazon with one gecko group, and while I was talking football, beer and daily life with the German and the Japanese bloke in our group, the all Aussie Gecko group were arguing about state of origin....**** me drunk.

Go with GAP.

We did the trail as part of a three week tour, and GAP work by meeting you at the hotel in Lima, and a local guide takes you around the country handing you over to experts in the areas you visit.... And they don't over schedule you, you can ditch the group and do your own thing, so long as you are at breakfast the next morning..... They chuck you in taxi's ride local buses, donkeys etc, not in an air conditioned tourist bus, so you get to feel like your not actually on a tour.

Back on the trail.....

Usually you meet up with your trail guide in Cuzco... Amazing city.... If the football season is on get to to a game, we missed it as we were there between the open and close seasons... Cuzco is the Incan capital, but has a lot of Spanish influence, absolutely beautiful city.

From Cuzco You spend a night in Olantytambo (spelling horrendous) and then get amino-bus to the the start of the trail where you meet your porters who carry all your gear except for your day pack.... Water and chocolate bars mainly...... You walk for about 4 hours then stop for lunch, then walk for another few hours before making camp...... The porters have already passed you on the trail and they set your tent up, cook dinner etc.

Day 1... Pretty easy going, scenery is breathtaking
    Day2..... Harder work. You go over "dead woman's pass" highest point on trek. altitude is breath taking, and scenery gobsmacking
    Day 3..... Adrenaline gets pumping, views are amazing, trail is mesmerising, last few Klm hurt as there's actually a lot of down hill steps. There's a bar and hot shower at camp that night!
    Day 4..... Get up before the sun to get to the sungate and watch the lost city appear out of the clouds..... Breathtaking.

Fitness levels are hard to predict, I managed, and didn't really do any prep, I was 27 and in off season, the altitude particularly going up dead woman's pass slows you down.... We had one bloke turn crook, but he was a heavy smoker, and we had one 65 yr old lady beat us all into camp every night....and she was a heavy smoker too.... Altitude gets people in different measures.... I'd not want to be carry too much extra kegs round the middle though, anything you can trim off before you go has got to help. If your "average fitness" you can do it.

Safety.... We never felt unsafe in Peru, but took the usual precautions 1. Made sure people knew we weren't American, 2. Didn't flash cash, 3. Listened to local guides and avoided 'the wrong side of the tracks'

We loved our Peru trip, we still make Ceviche when we get fresh fish.

We went in jan2008

Somebody else on here picked my brain about the trail a few years ago, I think it was pv4
    Last edited by GazFish35; 19-07-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Oh, and don't take photos of government buildings.

I did Inca Trail in sep 2012. Will read Gaz's notes and give a detailed response tomorrow or monday. Early summary though - best thing I've done with my life ever.
    OK

Flight AH5017

NEWS

- BBC News
    (Live coverage now concluded as no one gave a ****.)

- Four possible theories
    (Essentially: ran out of fuel; shot down by rebels; hijacked; storm.)

POETRY

FACTS

USEFUL LINKS

- Air Algiers customer reviews

- Things to do in Ouagadougou

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Flight AH5017

NEWS

- BBC News
    (Live coverage now concluded as no one gave a ****.)

- Four possible theories
    (Essentially: ran out of fuel; shot down by rebels; hijacked; storm.)

POETRY

FACTS

USEFUL LINKS

- Air Algiers customer reviews

- Things to do in Ouagadougou

I've got a 3 planes to catch next week and will spend 24 hours in the air................I kinda don't need this right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    I've got a 3 planes to catch next week and will spend 24 hours in the air................I kinda don't need this right now.
    Pfffft, nothing to worry about.
    Stats say there's more chance of getting pack raped by an NRL team than dying in a plane crash.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post

Mate I got into Auckland last week and flipped the Internets on and the MH17 news had just hit the net. I had been on a plane when it happened. I was also sitting in an airport 20-30 mins before boarding another. Makes you think about the worst for a few minutes but jumped on and other than the dickhead pilot circling NSW instead of landing didn't think about it.

Thought the **** was actually looking to find some **** to shoot us down that was how far away he was from Mascot

Thanks so much for that Gaz! Definitely helps.
    Is it Spanish they speak there?
    Travel agent hopefully sending some stuff over soon. Flights look to be the biggest expense.