Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Travel Thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Thanks so much for that Gaz! Definitely helps.
    Is it Spanish they speak there?
    Travel agent hopefully sending some stuff over soon. Flights look to be the biggest expense.
    ops: I didn't read nor wb to Gaz's stuff. Will look at it over this week.

Yep, Spanish. But if you stick to the main tourist parts, a knowledge of numbers and how to buy things should get you through as most places have English speakers.
    OK

Banned
    Having just come back from South America language is not that big of an issue really.

Sure as shit you will not understand what is being said but you will be surprised how easily work things out and how you get by.

You will quickly pick up 100 words plus a day but sentences are more of a stumbling block.

Anyways the good old sign language pointing and Uno tends to get through what you want.

As WLG said numbers are important to learn. It helps a hell of a lot knowing what 30 40 60 70 100 140 160 etc and not so much 1-9 Knowing your numbers means it is a lot easier to negotiate and not get ripped after you ask Cuánto cuesta??

hey d00dz, going to Peru in early Jan.
    Now thinking that I'm going to see Machu Picchu.

By train.

Come at me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    hey d00dz, going to Peru in early Jan.
    Now thinking that I'm going to see Machu Picchu.

By train.

Come at me.
    You 100% locked into your plans???

Just wanted to point out to you the Copa America is on in Chile next off season June/July.

Get to see the likes of Messi Di Maria Neymar Rodriguez Falcao Vidal Sanchez Suarez Biting blokes etc. up close

Wouldn't be a bad thing to take in whilst there

So, I've virtually planned this brief South American taster.
    Originally, was set to go to Hawaii for the fortnight, though something got mentioned about machu picchu and bam suddenly that was an options.

Essentially going to do the first bit by tour, to hopefully avoid any early hiccups.
    Arrive on the Sunday and start tour that day hopefully. They say arrive anytime and time difference means we would arrive around 6pm. Day 1 is simply arrive.

Day 2, fly to the amazon as part of G adventures tour, formerly GAP.
    Days 3 is amazon
    Day 4 is flying to Cuzco and city tour
    Day 5 is day trip to ruins around Cuzco
    Day 6 is first day of inca trek,
    Day 7 is day 2
    Day 8 is day 3
    Day 9 is macchi picchu and return to Cuzco
    Day 10 is checkout and finish tour. Hoping to fly to iaguzo falls after a flight to Lima and then to iaguzu, apparently arriving around 6-7pm.
    Day 11. Iaguzu falls with potential afternoon flight to rio.
    Day 12 fly to rio or be in rio
    Day 13 be in rio
    Day 14 rio and an evening flight en route home.

Very busy jam packed 2 weeks.

How reliable is air transport timing wise? Do they cancel flights frequently? Or is it hit and miss.

And how much time to get over jet lag roughly?

I'm still a bit 50:50 on a relatively expensive jam packed adventure or a nice relaxing trip to Hawaii. My time in Hawaii would more than likely be spent at the beach or climbing their mountains/volcanoes.

Thanks so much for that Gaz! Definitely helps.
    Is it Spanish they speak there?
    Travel agent hopefully sending some stuff over soon. Flights look to be the biggest expense.
    Spanish is it.
    Though in regional areas the locals still speak chechuan. (Spelling not right)
    We saved heaps for Peru, then couldn't spend it, it was so cheap when we were there. Flights cost more than the five weeks of traveling.

LAN Chile are reliable.

Banned
    Firstly Iguassu Falls yeah you could do it in a day but really should be done in 2 as you have both perspectives Argentina and Brazil

To me it almost seems you want to look at it take a few photos and go

I spent basically 6~7 hours st the Argy side not forgetting travel border crossing etc

Just in general if 2 weeks is all you have got and you are prepared to go back to Sit Ammerica you may want to cut a thing or two for se quality time.at the other choices

As for the airlines they dance to the beat of a different drum over there

Early morning flights have more reliability but this part of the planet punctuality isn't the fortehttp://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?798-Newcastle-United-Jets-2013-2014-Squad-thread/page66

At this stage, I've got plenty of time to get back to South America.
    I guess I'm taking it the way many do Europe (minus the hangovers) these days. A lot do Europe on contiki or top deck and just get a taster of everywhere in a semi/fully intoxicated state. Then return later on to do smaller trips.
    The tour is pretty much locked in. Personally the amazon didn't really impress me and I'd be happy just doing the trek and the iaguassu falls and rio. But alas, travel compromises.
    So it kind of is just to spend some time there since we are there.
    Yet to look at any football draws, so that may change when I see who is playing where.

Banned
    How locked in are you with things??

Brazilian side of Iguazu you could do in probably 2~3 hours Argy side much longer

The other thing is that despite them being so close they take over an hour to get from 1 to the other by road without taking into account border crossing issues

In Argentina you have trails to walk there The upper and lower as well as the one up to gargantua El diablo.
    I personally enjoyed the Argentina side more as every different part of the trail gave you a different perespecrive
    They also have smaller ones boat rides and other stuff

Having done it 8 weeks ago you need to up your 're on this to a day and a half at least.

The other thing is the time you are spending there is pointless if you ain't going to the Argy side

That is also compounded by if you do decide to go to Argy side you are up for the Recipricocity fee which considering you ain't going to anywhere else in Argentina at well over $100Aud. Is almost like setting fire to money

You only need a day and a half in iguassu to do it properly

We're looking at another trip down under, either early December for the wedding anniversary or right after new years. I'd say it's 50/50, could really do with the exchange rate picking up though.

So, I've virtually planned this brief South American taster.
    Originally, was set to go to Hawaii for the fortnight, though something got mentioned about machu picchu and bam suddenly that was an options.

Essentially going to do the first bit by tour, to hopefully avoid any early hiccups.
    Arrive on the Sunday and start tour that day hopefully. They say arrive anytime and time difference means we would arrive around 6pm. Day 1 is simply arrive.

Day 2, fly to the amazon as part of G adventures tour, formerly GAP.
    Days 3 is amazon
    Day 4 is flying to Cuzco and city tour
    Day 5 is day trip to ruins around Cuzco
    Day 6 is first day of inca trek,
    Day 7 is day 2
    Day 8 is day 3
    Day 9 is macchi picchu and return to Cuzco
    Day 10 is checkout and finish tour. Hoping to fly to iaguzo falls after a flight to Lima and then to iaguzu, apparently arriving around 6-7pm.
    Day 11. Iaguzu falls with potential afternoon flight to rio.
    Day 12 fly to rio or be in rio
    Day 13 be in rio
    Day 14 rio and an evening flight en route home.

Very busy jam packed 2 weeks.

How reliable is air transport timing wise? Do they cancel flights frequently? Or is it hit and miss.

And how much time to get over jet lag roughly?

I'm still a bit 50:50 on a relatively expensive jam packed adventure or a nice relaxing trip to Hawaii. My time in Hawaii would more than likely be spent at the beach or climbing their mountains/volcanoes.
    I would highly, highly recommend you spend a night in Agua Calientes (sp), Macchu Picchu town, rather than go straight back to Cuzco that same day. Going back the same day would be exhausting as fxxx - you'll probs be sick from the tour, mentally and physically drained, and just desperate for a hotel room with a western toilet and a shower/bath. There's a few cool things in AC that are worth checking out - sulfur baths, the flowing river, little markets, etc.
    OK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I would highly, highly recommend you spend a night in Agua Calientes (sp), Macchu Picchu town, rather than go straight back to Cuzco that same day. Going back the same day would be exhausting as fxxx - you'll probs be sick from the tour, mentally and physically drained, and just desperate for a hotel room with a western toilet and a shower/bath. There's a few cool things in AC that are worth checking out - sulfur baths, the flowing river, little markets, etc.
    I agree he seems to have bitten off a fair bit too much. Would seriously look at axeing 1 of the things and doing it at a later date and actually enjoy the other things.

Even Rio I just spent 10 nights there and wish i had longer as i didn't see it all!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    All the G Adventure tours return from Machu Picchu to Cuzco that day. So, if anything it'd be an extra day in Cuzco to recover.
    Have asked for an extra few days of leave to ease the load a little, but unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of being able to take 6 weeks leave. The priority is the Inca Trek, the rest is kind of "i'm here, so i might as well see this".

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    It was amazing. Best thing I've done.
    You can't do the trail without being on an organised tour.
    They limit the numbers on the trail to try and protect it so it's not something you can leave to that's minute usually.

We went with GAP and they were great, 12 travellers from all over the world, 4 Aussies, 2 Irish, 2 Japanese, a German, a yank and two Canadians..... We saw Gecko groups that were packed with Aussies, we shared a long boat in the amazon with one gecko group, and while I was talking football, beer and daily life with the German and the Japanese bloke in our group, the all Aussie Gecko group were arguing about state of origin....**** me drunk.

Go with GAP.

We did the trail as part of a three week tour, and GAP work by meeting you at the hotel in Lima, and a local guide takes you around the country handing you over to experts in the areas you visit.... And they don't over schedule you, you can ditch the group and do your own thing, so long as you are at breakfast the next morning..... They chuck you in taxi's ride local buses, donkeys etc, not in an air conditioned tourist bus, so you get to feel like your not actually on a tour.

Back on the trail.....

Usually you meet up with your trail guide in Cuzco... Amazing city.... If the football season is on get to to a game, we missed it as we were there between the open and close seasons... Cuzco is the Incan capital, but has a lot of Spanish influence, absolutely beautiful city.

From Cuzco You spend a night in Olantytambo (spelling horrendous) and then get amino-bus to the the start of the trail where you meet your porters who carry all your gear except for your day pack.... Water and chocolate bars mainly...... You walk for about 4 hours then stop for lunch, then walk for another few hours before making camp...... The porters have already passed you on the trail and they set your tent up, cook dinner etc.

Day 1... Pretty easy going, scenery is breathtaking
    Day2..... Harder work. You go over "dead woman's pass" highest point on trek. altitude is breath taking, and scenery gobsmacking
    Day 3..... Adrenaline gets pumping, views are amazing, trail is mesmerising, last few Klm hurt as there's actually a lot of down hill steps. There's a bar and hot shower at camp that night!
    Day 4..... Get up before the sun to get to the sungate and watch the lost city appear out of the clouds..... Breathtaking.

Fitness levels are hard to predict, I managed, and didn't really do any prep, I was 27 and in off season, the altitude particularly going up dead woman's pass slows you down.... We had one bloke turn crook, but he was a heavy smoker, and we had one 65 yr old lady beat us all into camp every night....and she was a heavy smoker too.... Altitude gets people in different measures.... I'd not want to be carry too much extra kegs round the middle though, anything you can trim off before you go has got to help. If your "average fitness" you can do it.

Safety.... We never felt unsafe in Peru, but took the usual precautions 1. Made sure people knew we weren't American, 2. Didn't flash cash, 3. Listened to local guides and avoided 'the wrong side of the tracks'

We loved our Peru trip, we still make Ceviche when we get fresh fish.

We went in jan2008

Somebody else on here picked my brain about the trail a few years ago, I think it was pv4
    Hoping to head to Peru around late July/early August. Thinking a 7 day trek to Machu Picchu from Cuzco.

Missus wants to relax on a beach someplace afterwards, so think we'll wind up at Puerto Rico for a few days before flying home.

Any tips would be appreciated. Already started learning Spanish via an iPhone app. Seems to be sticking in the noggin fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    Hoping to head to Peru around late July/early August. Thinking a 7 day trek to Machu Picchu from Cuzco.

Missus wants to relax on a beach someplace afterwards, so think we'll wind up at Puerto Rico for a few days before flying home.

Any tips would be appreciated. Already started learning Spanish via an iPhone app. Seems to be sticking in the noggin fairly well.
    Book trek early. I tried to book about 3 months in advance and all the passes were sold out.

Book trek early. I tried to book about 3 months in advance and all the passes were sold out.
    Cheers, will definitely book the trek first. Makes sense too as I'll know exactly when my in/outbound flights will need to be.

Do trek through Gap ....... I think they've changed their name though.

Avoid gecko. Unless you want to drink with bogan Aussies and talk nrl and Afl while ignoring the culture you're travelling to see.

Lol. Just saw you'd seen my post.

My up only tip wold to try and manage a few days at Cuzco before doing the trek to get acclimatised to the altitude.

Coca works to help, but keeps you awake! Sorochi pills from the pharmacy also helped.

Member went to Brazil, he might be bale to recommend a beach

Hawaii on the way home?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Lol. Just saw you'd seen my post.

My up only tip wold to try and manage a few days at Cuzco before doing the trek to get acclimatised to the altitude.

Coca works to help, but keeps you awake! Sorochi pills from the pharmacy also helped.

Member went to Brazil, he might be bale to recommend a beach

Hawaii on the way home?
    Beaches in Brazil Take your pick!!!

Just go Rio or north of there at the minimum.

Rio was 25-35C everyday in June
    Ocean temp was sweet

Down south of Brazil which I got to was a bit cold at that time of year so wouldn't recommend that area for beach activity.

Didn't get that far north of Rio except inland but their is thousands of miles of coast up that way. take your pick
    Salvador has a bit of Culture to go with the heat and is well received as a tourist place so would be my initial tip