Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Travel Thread..

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Lol. Just saw you'd seen my post.

My up only tip wold to try and manage a few days at Cuzco before doing the trek to get acclimatised to the altitude.

Coca works to help, but keeps you awake! Sorochi pills from the pharmacy also helped.

Member went to Brazil, he might be bale to recommend a beach

Hawaii on the way home?
    First thought was Hawaii on the way back, but the flights from Cuzco via Lima and Texas are gonna add another $4k for us both. Decided the Caribbean was beachy enough for us, probably do Hawaii on a separate sojourn.
    Last edited by WolfMan; 29-12-2014 at 10:35 PM.

If you're going to the Caribbean (lucky bugger) and want a beach near an airport for ease of transfers, hit up maho beach in St Martin.

If you're going to the Caribbean (lucky bugger) and want a beach near an airport for ease of transfers, hit up maho beach in St Martin.
    Thanks for the advice, we are definitely open to suggestions on that front. Nowhere near deciding which island amongst them all we would visit. Have heard good things about every one of them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    First thought was Hawaii on the way back, but the flights from Cuzco via Lima and Texas are gonna add another $8k for us both. Decided the Caribbean was beachy enough for us, probably do Hawaii on a separate sojourn.

Tried getting back that way through Panama Mexico Columbia??

Lots of people done that for the WC as it was dirt cheap to get to the USA via alternate stops on the way such as Panama/Mexico/Colombia etc

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Tried getting back that way through Panama Mexico Columbia??

Lots of people done that for the WC as it was dirt cheap to get to the USA via alternate stops on the way such as Panama/Mexico/Colombia etc
    Have not, and chances are we could find a sale price at some point. I think I've got the other half on board by telling her we'll island hop Hawaii as another trip hopefully 2016

I edited the price down to $4k in the original post, too many numbers going on in the old bonce lately

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    Thanks for the advice, we are definitely open to suggestions on that front. Nowhere near deciding which island amongst them all we would visit. Have heard good things about every one of them.
    Check out maho beach on YouTube before you do anything!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zD-3pU6nWGQ
    Last edited by GazFish35; 29-12-2014 at 11:16 PM.

OK, well I'm not going there then... lol

Do trek through Gap ....... I think they've changed their name though.

Avoid gecko. Unless you want to drink with bogan Aussies and talk nrl and Afl while ignoring the culture you're travelling to see.
    Yep GAP are now called G Adventures. Did a Central America tour with them in July. Bloody excellent. A few Aussies but also people from England, Ireland, Denmark, Austria, Canada etc

In need of a little advice/help.

I'm in the early stages of planning a 2016 European trip.
    Basically me and the wife want to do Berlin to Munich campervan style, visiting Leipzig, Prague and Salzburg on the way and giving myself 10-12 days for that stretch of the trip.
    So that said I just wanted to know if anyone has done something similar, if 10-12days would be long enough and if anyone has any idea on what to expect driving that distance and camping in the van?

After that we'll probably head to Barcelona, Ireland and Edinburgh.
    Has anyone traveled directly from Munich to Barcelona? Was thinking train for that stretch.
    Any suggestions for Ireland, will only have about 6-8 day's before finishing up in Edinburgh.
    Lastly what is likelihood of getting a flight home from Edinburgh? Will I have to fly out of Manchester or Heathrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post

Basically me and the wife want to do Berlin to Munich campervan style, visiting Leipzig, Prague and Salzburg on the way and giving myself 10-12 days for that stretch of the trip.
    So that said I just wanted to know if anyone has done something similar, if 10-12days would be long enough and if anyone has any idea on what to expect driving that distance and camping in the van?

Has anyone traveled directly from Munich to Barcelona? Was thinking train for that stretch.
    Any suggestions for Ireland, will only have about 6-8 day's before finishing up in Edinburgh.
    Lastly what is likelihood of getting a flight home from Edinburgh? Will I have to fly out of Manchester or Heathrow?
    I'll have a chat with you in person, mate..
    I'll be back in EU later on this year too..

Been to Edinburgh and we stayed at a reasonably nice hotel which had a B&B type feel to it and was located next to the train station. It was easy to walk around and if you need to fly out of Manchester you can train it there.

We caught the train from Liverpool to Edinburgh and had to change trains around Leeds (It was a public holiday so there was lots of track work). If not, you could get one straight back to Heathrow and you might find the time for travel is pretty similar. Trains in Europe/UK are really good.

Also stayed in Dublin for 3 days and it was ok. Again, we only had public transport to use. Guinness factory was the highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I'll have a chat with you in person, mate..
    I'll be back in EU later on this year too..
    Sounds good mate, pretty stoked actually.
    We head off in just over 3 months and the Mrs is already talking about the next one.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

i have no real advice on the travel i.e. train, bus, etc. side of things

but just make sure if you go to Barcelona, you go to opium nightclub.

still recovering from my night there last year
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Been to Edinburgh and we stayed at a reasonably nice hotel which had a B&B type feel to it and was located next to the train station. It was easy to walk around and if you need to fly out of Manchester you can train it there.

We caught the train from Liverpool to Edinburgh and had to change trains around Leeds (It was a public holiday so there was lots of track work). If not, you could get one straight back to Heathrow and you might find the time for travel is pretty similar. Trains in Europe/UK are really good.

Also stayed in Dublin for 3 days and it was ok. Again, we only had public transport to use. Guinness factory was the highlight.
    Yeah it will be my 4th trip to the UK so I'm pretty solid on the trains over there was just wondering if I could fly from Edinburgh to Dubai or something like that to fly home with 2 connecting flights or if I had to get 3 connecting flights via somewhere in UK/EU
    I'M GULLIBLE!

According to Expedia Etihad is the only mob that will get you there in 2 legs, everyone else requires a third leg. As someone else alluded to, flying out of Manchester or London may work better given they are bigger airports

If you are doing that trip make sure you call into Weimar and Erfurt.

Weimar is where I spent the year living in Germany and it's a ****ing nice town. So much history, culture and an intact medieval core with a lot of Nazi and Communist architecture thrown into the mix. And soo many ****ing galleries and musuems it's ****ing nuts.

Erfurt has one of Germanies largest fortresses and the largest medieval alt-stadt in Germany.

Both places are close enough to Leipzig to make the detour ****ing worth it man.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    If you are doing that trip make sure you call into Weimar and Erfurt.

Weimar is where I spent the year living in Germany and it's a ****ing nice town. So much history, culture and an intact medieval core with a lot of Nazi and Communist architecture thrown into the mix. And soo many ****ing galleries and musuems it's ****ing nuts.

Erfurt has one of Germanies largest fortresses and the largest medieval alt-stadt in Germany.

Both places are close enough to Leipzig to make the detour ****ing worth it man.
    Sounds awesome will definitely try to fit it in.

I was looking at a Wicked camper type thing, how would I go just pulling up somewhere to sleep the night with the authorities over there?
    Is it laid back or will I need to find a camp site each night?
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Been to Ireland a few times. Dublin is prob the least Irish to do there. Just spend the night the first day when you get there that's all you really need. I've never enjoyed the place.
    Get a car and do a loop around Sth Coast over to Kerry on East Coast then go up through Londonderry to North Coast of Nth Ireland. Coastline is amazing Giants Causeway etc. come back down through Belfast (a quite amazing University city) then back to Dublin to leave. Stay in small towns B&Bs the local pubs are epic. People are amazing beyond words. Up there with the Japanese as best locals.

Gotta do Barca though. Prob most amazing city in Europe. So much to do see eat and drink.
    Again, locals are epic.
    Planned on going there for 3 days ended up staying a month and only left cause I needed to get a job.
    If you're there for a few days take a day trip to Figeures(?) about 2hrs North by train. Dali museum is there pretty interesting place.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Gotta do Barca though. Prob most amazing city in Europe. So much to do see eat and drink.
    Again, locals are epic.
    Planned on going there for 3 days ended up staying a month and only left cause I needed to get a job.
    If you're there for a few days take a day trip to Figeures(?) about 2hrs North by train. Dali museum is there pretty interesting place.
    100%

loved madrid as well.

fav city is probably dubrovnik but
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!