Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer nerds..

Computer nerds..

I am a confused noob at the moment..
    Basically I am going overseas in 3 weeks time, and am looking to get either a laptop or tablet for my travels..
    All I need it for, is to get wi-fi, facey/emails, entertainment while flying (eg movies, books, music), backup to keep photos and things on..
    I don't need any insane machine to play ground-breaking games on or anything, the cheaper the better.. Looking for decent battery life too..

Not sure if anyone can recommend anything, but I've been to a few places and they have all heavily recommended the exact opposite of each other.. ("Oh you definitely want this tablet"... "No, you definitely want this laptop".. etc..)

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I am a confused noob at the moment..
    Basically I am going overseas in 3 weeks time, and am looking to get either a laptop or tablet for my travels..
    All I need it for, is to get wi-fi, facey/emails, entertainment while flying (eg movies, books, music), backup to keep photos and things on..
    I don't need any insane machine to play ground-breaking games on or anything, the cheaper the better.. Looking for decent battery life too..

Not sure if anyone can recommend anything, but I've been to a few places and they have all heavily recommended the exact opposite of each other.. ("Oh you definitely want this tablet"... "No, you definitely want this laptop".. etc..)
    i have a google nexus 10 at the moment, but travelled to europe last year with an ipad and it is invaluable - so much easier than trying to find an internet cafe etc for booking tickets, hotels and shit

i would recommend the nexus over the ipad as you can drag and drop stuff straight to it i.e. movies, music, photos - unlike the ipad where you are stuck using all the iOS software and have to buy everything through itunes

so yer, go the nexus 10 imo - i think kogan do it for $450 - $100 bucks cheaper than an ipad 3 and infinitely more usable if you are a PC kind of dude

get a laptop when you come back, carrying a computer on holiday is a pain in the arse

the mrs bought an ipad a couple of years ago & it sounds like it would do everything you're after.

i've been using an iphone for the last 4 years & have very recently moved to a samsung galaxy s4, and i'm already finding it's a tonne easier to use & just better in general. i'm assuming a google-style tablet would also shit all over a mac-style one too, so reading what q has to say doesn't surprise me at all.

the only reason i can think of you'd want a laptop is they may be easier to rest on your lap (derr) if you're travelling on planes & crap, as opposed to a tablet which you'd have to bend your legs to rest it, or just hold it with your hands (maybe a decent case that folds into "stands" could do the trick though), and also a laptop would have a keyboard (but by the sounds of it, you won't be doing a tonne of typing anyway).

i'd go a tablet, i'd buy it asap & familiarize yourself with it as much as you can before you head away too.
    Last edited by pv4; 13-05-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Cheers boys..

The only issue that I have with a tablet, is the lack of keyboard for typing (which I plan to do a bit of email writing, and was even contemplating keeping a bit of a journal of the trip - which I have done before, and would be much more likely to do if I was typing, as opposed to physically writing shit down.. hahaha).. Also the restrictions of space on a tablet, not a huge amount of storage unless you get an external harddrive.. But then the external harddrive will root your battery life too, won't it?..

Being 6'8", I get well acquainted with the taste of my knees when I'm on these sort of long flights, so I think im pretty screwed for comfort and lap space either way..
    I definitely want to stay away from anything Mac related.. I have enough issues trying to sync my iPod classic up.. iTunes is my mortal enemy.. haha

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    i have a google nexus 10 at the moment, but travelled to europe last year with an ipad and it is invaluable - so much easier than trying to find an internet cafe etc for booking tickets, hotels and shit

i would recommend the nexus over the ipad as you can drag and drop stuff straight to it i.e. movies, music, photos - unlike the ipad where you are stuck using all the iOS software and have to buy everything through itunes

so yer, go the nexus 10 imo - i think kogan do it for $450 - $100 bucks cheaper than an ipad 3 and infinitely more usable if you are a PC kind of dude

get a laptop when you come back, carrying a computer on holiday is a pain in the arse
    Files can be played using VLC app on ipad

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    The only issue that I have with a tablet, is the lack of keyboard for typing (which I plan to do a bit of email writing, and was even contemplating keeping a bit of a journal of the trip - which I have done before, and would be much more likely to do if I was typing, as opposed to physically writing shit down.. hahaha).. Also the restrictions of space on a tablet, not a huge amount of storage unless you get an external harddrive.. But then the external harddrive will root your battery life too, won't it
    not sure exactly how much space you need, but you can get 128gb flash drives pretty cheaply these days, would be a nice upgrade to a 16 or 32 gb tablet. also if you're worried about a keyboard, you could buy a small usb one and keep it in your suitcase/hotel, and just use the software keyboard when you're out and about.

i think in terms of size/weight/ruggedness, tablets are a fair bit better than laptops.

yeah a detachable keyboard would be for sale for most tablets, you'd imagine.

i know with my galaxy phone it has 16gb storage, but you can also put a micro sd card in it for more storage also (size restrictions i'm not sure of yet). i'd imagine there'd be a tablet that you could do similar to, and i assume you could solve a lot of space issues that way?

i'm there with you on the comfort-free travelling mate. i try as much as possible to get the emergency exit seats so there's no seats in front of me when i fly

All, long time reader, first time poster.

Got a problem with a USB flash. I was saving some photos and videos from my iphone onto my 8gb USB flash drive when windows locked up and I had to reboot the computer. It "hung" while copying a video file

Since then I have tried to access it but it wont register with windows. It quickly flashes up and then disappears. I have been through device manager on windows 7 and the driver is up to date. I tried it on another PC with an older windows (XP) and its the same. I looked in device manager and it came up Code 10 but searching this and the fixes gave me no result.

Any tips on how I can recover some files (like the Jets stats stuff) off it??

Much appreciated.

Jeterpool
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Ggl search gives this. I'd try some other pcs first.

a. Open Device Manager.
    Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.* If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

b. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section by clicking on the "+" sign.

c. Uninstall each of the devices under the USB Controller section by right-clicking on each one, and then clicking Uninstall.

d. Close the Device Manager and restart your computer. Windows will automatically re-install the USB controllers in your computer, without you having to do anything further. Your computer will now run USB devices properly.

annoying things.jpg

Anyone know what these "ads" are at the bottom of my screen? Its annoying the hell out of me and my computer is about to have flying lessons out the window. They open up every time a new page is opened. Is it a virus? If so how do i kill it??

When did they start appearing? Go into your control panel, open up programs and features and select onwards from the day they started appearing and see if any unknown programs etc have been added

Will be either malware or aware. Update your AV software and run it, download an ad blocker for your browser.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Started popping up yesterday. Hadn't used computer for roughly a week before than. I'll jump on tomorrow and have a look.

And you may have had bloatware installed when you installed a different program. As mentioned, go into add/remove programs and uninstall suspicious programs.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

The Fappening Part 2
    +
    weston gets a virus

=4?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weston View Post
    annoying things.jpg

Anyone know what these "ads" are at the bottom of my screen? Its annoying the hell out of me and my computer is about to have flying lessons out the window. They open up every time a new page is opened. Is it a virus? If so how do i kill it??
    As the other posters have said delete programs run adware programs virus scan etc.

You have definitely picked some shit up you don't want. May also want to note where you have been recently as you do not want to get it back accidently by going to the same place after fixing your PC up

If you have no shit of note photos files etc a simple Format of Windows will also fix it but thats a last resort.

I tend to try and keep my files of note off the PC that way in under an hour a reformat can fix a hell of a lot of issues quickly if needed

Get Ad Block for chrome.. Free add-in.

To remove the spam.. Get Malware bytes and run a scan, completely free and has a 99% success rate with removing shit like this. We use it at work because its free ware and does the job better than some paid AV.. (Note, Virus and Spyware are slightly different, so you need protection for both as most AV won't protect from spyware). If you had ad block in chrome, chances are you wouldn't have clicked on the link that infected your computer anyways..

Good luck

Need some Internet help from my Kotara and surrounding suburbs friends.

I'm currently with Exetel and have been for about 6 years. I've noticed over the last while the internet speed is really down. Now, I've hard wired my house and conducted speed tests and I am getting 0.36mbps which isn't good. When I did those tests I removed all wireless devices and only had the PC on. I've also hard reset my modem to see if that is the issue. My online gaming and VOIP is starting to be affected.

I know the lines in Kotara aren't great, but a neighbour is with Internode and getting 4mbps.

My modem is new but I still subbed it out without solving the issue. I have a landline attached to a separate port in the house with a filter. I don't have a filter on the incoming line but when I did place one on there it made minimal difference. There's no crackle in my phone line. It's quality hasn't changed.

Can anyone give me some advice?

When I previously had this issue at my other house, Exetel "rebuilt" my port and it fixed it. The timing is poor to request this because they've reported an outage. Is this something I can request?

Can anyone in Kotara or surrounds provide feedback on their ADSL2 ISP and whether they've been good or bad?

I really don't want to call Telstra to come out and have a look at my lines.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Need some Internet help from my Kotara and surrounding suburbs friends.

I'm currently with Exetel and have been for about 6 years. I've noticed over the last while the internet speed is really down. Now, I've hard wired my house and conducted speed tests and I am getting 0.36mbps which isn't good. When I did those tests I removed all wireless devices and only had the PC on. I've also hard reset my modem to see if that is the issue. My online gaming and VOIP is starting to be affected.

I know the lines in Kotara aren't great, but a neighbour is with Internode and getting 4mbps.

My modem is new but I still subbed it out without solving the issue. I have a landline attached to a separate port in the house with a filter. I don't have a filter on the incoming line but when I did place one on there it made minimal difference. There's no crackle in my phone line. It's quality hasn't changed.

Can anyone give me some advice?

When I previously had this issue at my other house, Exetel "rebuilt" my port and it fixed it. The timing is poor to request this because they've reported an outage. Is this something I can request?

Can anyone in Kotara or surrounds provide feedback on their ADSL2 ISP and whether they've been good or bad?

I really don't want to call Telstra to come out and have a look at my lines.
    Have you tried the connection with another computer ? Have you checked you computer for malware / spyware which might be chewing up your bandwidth ?

Not yet.

I did manage to get onto the ISP and they said there was a problem with my connection so they told me to unplug the modem and phone from the ports and they reset it at their end.

Since then the speed test is coming back at 6mbps. It seems to have solved it...for now. Norton's didn't detect anything in a scan I just did and the firewall settings appear ok.

Appreciate the response, Dunster.