Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Türkiye

**** i was even going to put money on the first goal being in the first 10

BRILLANTE!!!! Far out, this guy, this beard

Just randomly, don't rate Good much. Chapman a much better defender.

was thinking the same thing earlier, it's seems as if good is a bit lazy.

Terrible defending. There's your Izzo Grimario. I was about to say though, don't really deserve to be a goal up, haven't created anything in 20 mins.

good almost ****ed that move up too. newy boys teaming up not a bad effort from tags.

Poor attempt by Izzo at stopping that goal....i mean NO attempt...

Yeah, our definite weakness at this point is our defence, specifically the back 4 + gk. Good plus the left and right backs in particular don't fill me with confidence.

Just give the ball to Pain, bloody hell he can dribble.

**** chapman should of buried that

Taggart struggling to get into the game.

ican't see tags staying on for much of the 2nd half if he doesn't start getting into it a bit

****ing ****s

who was meat to be marking the scorer, not so Good

El Salvador much stronger tactically than Colombia who I thought pushed wayyy too high against us. De Silva has barely seen the ball.

Shit, 2-1 them.

Curits Good having a shocker.

Started OK but I think it's been mostly downhill since their first goal. It doesn't look like we were prepared to fight for it as much as we need to. They've defended very well imo, shut down our front third completely.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    you do have to remember that this is a team with a lot of players coached at club level by GVE

they're quite adept at being totally ineffective

lol, felt a bit like a Jets game overall too. 60% possession, but nothing much to show for it in attack.

I think Foz summed it up best in his post-match analysis. Tonight's game was the complete opposite of the Colombia match. With Colombia we were up against an opponent who were throwing bodies forward like crazy (a lot of the time they were defending against us in a 4-2-4 formation), and they were always competing with us for the ball. El Salvador was the opposite, they let us play out freely from the back, but marked the shit out of our midfield and front third so that we had only 1 option going forward.

Now normally the solution to that kind of problem is to hold onto the ball, build attacks carefully, and create space through movement (a la Barca against all the shitbag teams they come up against in the Champions League). At first the players appeared to be down with that, but I think they showed their inexperience when they got frustrated by it too quickly and resorted to more direct methods which were easier to shut down.

A bit silly to focus on individual performances when the result was 90% due to the way the whole team played, but once again I thought Brillante was outstanding. He had a period of 20 or so minutes either side of the half where he dropped off a bit, passes went astray, etc. but apart from that I was very impressed by him. I think his positioning is always intelligent, he always leaves himself open as the third man which worked a treat for our goal, and his passing is even sharper, usually one touch and he knows where he's going to pass it before it reaches him. Actually that's probably the best way to sum him up, intelligent on the ball and off it.

Chapman was alright, I've never thought his strong suit is defending and tonight didn't really change that, but he's a real, classic leader from the back. It baffles me how Good was picked as captain ahead of him, I'm now certain the bloke is rubbish. He could've sat on the bench of Real Madrid for all I care, he's a much stupider player and consistently error prone.

Taggart was ok, I still don't think we're seeing the best from him purely because of problems further down the pitch. Hoole was the weakest of the Newy contingent tonight, I thought he was one of our shitter players overall, especially in the second half where I think he may have given the ball away every time he got it. Should've been subbed much earlier, I think the occasion had well and truly gotten to him, and in fairness you can't expect much when he's got 2 - 3 defenders on him in a second every time he got the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Okon waited too long for all 3 changes.