Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Türkiye

2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Türkiye

Waddup dawgs, thought it was time we started a thread on this, the most overhyped and ultimately meaningless FIFA tournament.

Group A
    Spain
    France
    Ghana
    United States

Group B
    Portugal
    South Korea
    Cuba
    Nigeria

Group C
    Turkey
    El Salvador
    Colombia
    Australia

Group D
    Mexico
    Greece
    Paraguay
    Mali

Group E
    Chile
    Egypt
    England
    Iraq

Group F
    New Zealand
    Uzbekistan
    Uruguay
    Croatia

SBS Coverage

COLOMBIA v AUSTRALIA
    Sunday 23 June
    LIVE 12.45am AEST on SBS 2 and streamed online

AUSTRALIA v EL SALVADOR
    Wednesday 26 June

AUSTRALIA v TURKEY
    Saturday 29 June
    LIVE 3.45am AEST on SBS 2 and streamed online

+ the Australian games if we qualify from the group stage

------------------------------------------------

SEMI-FINAL 1
    Thursday 11 July

SEMI-FINAL 2
    Thursday 11 July
    LIVE 3.45am AEST on SBS 2 and streamed online

FINAL
    Sunday 14 July
    LIVE 3.30am AEST on SBS 2 and streamed online

Important to note that there's no Brazil or Argentina in this tournament.
    I predict Spain to win in straight sets.
    Last edited by militiamon; 22-06-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Results so far:

Group A
    Spain 4 - US 1
    France 3 - Ghana 1

Group B
    South Korea 2 - Cuba 1
    Portugal 3 - Nigeria 2
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

At first glance it would seem we've got a pretty easy group:

Turkey - only qualified because it's the host nation. Didn't even make it to the UEFA U19 Championship, so they would appear to be the easiest UEFA team to have drawn. Lost to Greece and Denmark in qualification.
    El Salvador - finished 3rd in the CONCACAF U20 Championship, only beat Cuba out of the 4 CONCACAF teams.
    Colombia - the best team in the group, they finished 1st in the CONMEBOL qualifying.

So basically Colombia is the only strong team in the group, we should really be aiming to beat Turkey and El Salvador. Keep in mind that the best 4 3rd placed teams from the group stage qualify for the next round as well.

That said, who knows what will happen with Paul Okon in charge, I gather that the bloke is like the Craig Deans of the Australian national team.

AUSTRALIAN SQUAD

Terry ANTONIS ----> Replaced with Hagi GLIGOR due to injury
    Anthony BOUZANIS (gk)
    Joshua BRILLANTE
    Reece CAIRA
    Connor CHAPMAN
    Daniel De SILVA
    James DONACHIE
    Jack DUNCAN (gk)
    Ryan EDWARDS
    Scott GALLOWAY
    Corey GAMEIRO
    Jason GERIA
    Curtis GOOD
    Andrew HOOLE
    Jackson IRVINE
    Paul IZZO (gk)
    Jamie MACLAREN
    Connor PAIN
    Adam TAGGART
    David VRANKOVIC
    Ryan WILLIAMS
    Last edited by militiamon; 22-06-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Big talking point for our campaign so far has been the exclusion of Amini on the grounds of being fat and unfit. Amini disagrees.

Amini not buying Okon's reasons for omission

Shattered Young Socceroos midfielder Mustafa Amini has questioned coach Paul Okon's motives in leaving him out of his 21-man squad for this month's FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.

The Borussia Dortmund rookie was informed by Okon that he did not think he was fit enough for the tournament, a claim Amini, 20, vehemently disputes.

With his omission still sinking in seven days after it was revealed he had failed to make the cut, Amini – back home in Australia to catch up with family and friends – told The World Game: "My fitness is fine. I played 81 minutes of our match against the Netherlands Under-21s (a 3-1 loss on 25 May) and I think I was one of our better players.

"I got 40 minutes in our 2-2 draw against Germany (1 June in Cyprus) and I was dreaming about being a part of our World Cup campaign.

"I put off my holidays to be a part of this and I am really disappointed and surprised not to have been picked. The message I got from Paul Okon was that I wasn't fit enough – but that's not the case.

"When Paul Okon called me to say he wasn't going to take me it was a huge blow - I felt sick in the stomach. I honestly don't really understand why I wasn't selected.

"There was a thing about my fitness. I had a blood test after not sleeping for the best part of two days following the Holland match, because I was part of the Dortmund party which went to Wembley for the European Champions League final the next day, and it was full on for 48 hours.

"Then I flew to Cyprus (to link up with the Young Socceroos) and had the test. Of course after not sleeping for two days my blood won't be the same as everybody elses and that was the excuse I was given.

"Paul Okon also mentioned my skin fold tests, but I am an on different program at Dortmund where you bulk up then you trim down afterwards.

"I proved my fitness in that Holland game. We had a week in Cyprus after that and I did well when I came on against Germany, so fitness-wise there were no issues at all."

Amini's lack of game time towards the end of last season at Dortmund was also queried by Okon, but the former Central Coast Mariners star explained: "It's a professional league with crowds of 10,000 sometimes and you have first teamers who have played with us throughout the year. It's not easy just to come in from Australia and break through.

"Jurgen Klopp (Dortmund coach) has told me personally just to keep working hard and I will go back soon and be fresh for pre-season and ready to go.

"A lot of the players who were keeping me out are over 23 now and will move on and now my chance will come to get more game time and hopefully push on towards the first team at some stage.

"But everybody knows that Dortmund's first team is one of the best in the world, so of course it's a big challenge for me."

Amini, who played 14 times for Dortmund II in the third tier of German football in his debut season in 2012-2103 and has 23 Young Socceroos caps, burst onto the international scene at the U-20 World Cup in Colombia two years ago while still with the Mariners.

"Back then I was younger than a lot of the boys but this time I thought I was more than ready and determined to make an impression in Turkey and show people what I can do on a big stage," he added.

"I have been part of the system for so long, and this is tough to take. A lot of my team-mates were as surprised as I am by me not being picked.

"If he (Okon) has a personal problem with me I wish he had told me, rather than just telling me I am not fit."

Okon echoed his view that Amini was not in the condition for a demanding international tournament on Soccer Stoppage Time radio three days ago.

He could not be contacted by TWG on Wednesday evening.

On the path ahead, Amini added: "My 12 months in Germany have been really enjoyable and a pretty steep learning curve.

"But I can confidently say I have developed my game and that will hopefully continue.

"I'm open minded about the journey and understand that to get to the top it takes time - and time is what I have."

The Young Socceroos head to Turkey pre-tournament training camp in Antalya where they will play Chile’s U-20 side on Sunday 16 June before beginning their 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup campaign against Colombia in Trabzon on Saturday 22 June (Sunday 23 June - Kick-off 1am AEST).

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/FIFA-...s-for-omission
    Big call given that he is surely one of the best players skills-wise in the team. He was also one of the guys who played in the 2011 edition (along with Antonis and Gameiro) who people were saying "well they'll be even better for 2013", so something has gone awry.

Most worrying thing for me is that we don't appear to have many playmakers/creative players in the team. I see some intelligent and strong defenders (Chapman and Good), some sharp finishers (Taggart, Gameiro), and some hard workers in midfield (Brillante, Gligor), but no one who really fits the description of an attacking midfielder. The only name I see on that list is Hoole, which would be funny considering he wasn't even a prospect in these set ups 12 months ago.

what has gligor been doing with farina to make him a better choice than amini? one would hope it involved running up sand dunes with a tire strapped to his back or something like this

doesn't one of these blokes not even have a club at the moment?

I did like Amini's excuse though:

"Paul Okon also mentioned my skin fold tests, but I am an on different program at Dortmund where you bulk up then you trim down afterwards"

militiamon thread (y)

lol

Banned
    Militia as for Amini

What sort of whining whinging git thinks whinging to the press is a good idea after being overlooked for a NT. A ****ing GYPO

Anyone with half a brain and any class would take it on the chin and move on. Even if they have some gripes keep them to themselves and not sprout them via the media. When this blokes name comes up for Socceroo/Olyroo selection do you think this little episode won't be held against him?? ****ing oath it will. Coaches don't want undisciplined whiny players to deal with who forsake the team ethic and principles.

I am with Okon for this. The Gypos mouth is overweight at the least

doesn't one of these blokes not even have a club at the moment?
    Pretty sure neither Gameiro or Maclaren have clubs at the moment. Gameiro was on loan at Nix, released by Fulham and Maclaren was released by Blackburn, I think.

Pick Gameiro up for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Pretty sure neither Gameiro or Maclaren have clubs at the moment. Gameiro was on loan at Nix, released by Fulham and Maclaren was released by Blackburn, I think.
    I thought Gameiro had already committed to the Nix for another season? Will dig the article up in a sec.

Edit: My bad, du has said he will stay in the A-League, but hasn't picked a club yet. Tbh I wouldn't be too fussed about going for him, we've already got Taggart, and he's going to be competing with the likes of Heskey, Virgili, Brown, and this Joey Gibbs fellow.

Btw our first game is on tonight if people hadn't gotten that from my previous posts. Kick-off at 1.00 am on SBS2 vs Colombia.
    Last edited by militiamon; 22-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Edit: My bad, du has said he will stay in the A-League, but hasn't picked a club yet. Tbh I wouldn't be too fussed about going for him, we've already got Taggart, and he's going to be competing with the likes of Heskey, Virgili, Brown, and this Joey Gibbs fellow.
    Honestly don't know why we don't just get rid of Heskey and Bridges, get Gameiro and Maclaren in. Front 4 of Goodwin, Gamerio, Taggart and Maclaren = awesome resale value.

Is that you Gary?

Banned
    You two are forgetting someone.

I am pretty stoked with our front line options with Heskey, Taggz, the impending arrival of KB. We also have Gibbs and Briges if need be can play up front.

This area I think we have pretty well covered. Same with our Keeping stocks if Birraz stays fit.

The Defence lack of leader /Midfield ACTUAL CLASS worry me.

What also worries me is Tinks financial situation

What really worries me though is that GVE RM and Deans still have jobs at HSG

Kale Bradbery and Robbie Middleby. I think we can now add this one to the archives boys

I assume The Member will not be watching this one on moral grounds due to Kale not being selected?

I must admit I don't have that kind of strength, the allure of Brillante's beard is too much:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Kale Bradbery and Robbie Middleby. I think we can now add this one to the archives boys

I assume The Member will not be watching this one on moral grounds due to Kale not being selected?

I must admit I don't have that kind of strength, the allure of Brillante's beard is too much:

Beards great

But the poor mans Ibrahimović hair do is doing it for me

It is gonna be compelling as the time passes for it to reach maturity

Amini = lazy player. Thus not picked.
    Amigos Aarau

Starting XI: Izzo; Geria, Chapman, Good, Galloway; Irvine, Brillante; Hoole, De Silva, Pain; Taggart

Jackson Irvine, pretty much taken the place of the former prospect that was Kantarovski, captaining the side. Already in Europe too, no need to trial at Bayern (even though it is with Celtic). Has made on appearance off the bench and is captain of their U20, I think.

FOUR JERKS!

Chapman basically our only player to wear black boots. At least one of them has the right idea