Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NTUA - club support

NTUA - club support

Just wondering if any approach had been made to the club about proper support of NTUA when the team walks out?

I mean after the WSW crowd education for support at the end of last season (crowd in general not squadron) and the YNWA that got everyone in Australia talking from the MCG thought there may be some leverage in getting a bit proactive in getting a portion of the song played each week as the team walks onto pitch and some club involvement in getting the crowd to join in.

Wishful I know but ..........

You raise a good point.

If we want it to become part of our clubs tradition then we need support.

I thought last year it was very good. There were a few times when the "A-League" songs went over it but generally it was good. I'd even go as far to say this is something the club got right last year with the video film clip and all.

There is advertising and media licences the club has no influence over because it is a league based decision but I am sure something can be worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    There is advertising and media licences the club has no influence over because it is a league based decision but I am sure something can be worked out.
    Victree handed much of their pregame entertainment over to the fans.
    I think the clubs across the league need to more proactive in getting away from the cookie cutter approach to game day.
    I can remember Con complaining about this centralisation.

if they played NTUA on one Chanel at high volume and the the a-league crap on another turned right down.... They could argue they are broadcasting what they are contractually obliged too.
    Q-man could lend them his mixing decks,

Turn it down
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

they should let me DJ before every game

furns sort it out

You really think the plebs in the Hunter are ready for sick dubstep every game q-man?

Radio stations in the Hunter are still playing the same shit they were when I left 15 years ago.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

mate i only play weddings now, it's wall to wall classic hits

tbh it would go off and the club should do it

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Victree handed much of their pregame entertainment over to the fans.
    I think the clubs across the league need to more proactive in getting away from the cookie cutter approach to game day.
    I can remember Con complaining about this centralisation.

if they played NTUA on one Chanel at high volume and the the a-league crap on another turned right down.... They could argue they are broadcasting what they are contractually obliged too.
    Q-man could lend them his mixing decks,
    Good point. Especially the bit about Melbourne. I didn't know that

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Good point. Especially the bit about Melbourne. I didn't know that
    I think the Glory is another example. they apparently don't play the HAL crap music either, they play their own tune as the players walkout and right until kick-off.

So its not like it can't be done, its not even like there is any repercussions from the FFA either, seems you just have to have the will from the clubs side of things.
    Last edited by Pico; 13-08-2013 at 08:55 AM.

OK so it CAN be done. What I am wondering is if anyone has spoken to the club about it? Isn't there some discussion between the Squadron and the club?

If no-one has then perhaps either:
    a) There should be that discussion
    b) There should be an email blitz to the club asking the question. Get everyone here to send an email and get everyone to ask their friends to send an email. If the club got over 1000 emails asking the same type of question they may listen. They may not too ...

Will also add that IIRC, the Mariners play "Yellow" as they walk out to an empty stadium.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Scarfy, my man email bombing is the answer to everything.

Tbh in general heaps of other clubs get away with heaps of things that our club continually says we can't. Pre-game music, membership counter on jerks website, terminating player contracts to free up squad spots, heaps of garbage. If sydney or mv want to do something, they do it. If we do, nothing gets done. I keep hearing "middleby is bad" and "middleby is great, grow up" but tbh if he can't get these simplr requests through that are proven to be allowed by other teams I'd say he's either a joke, or he has the wrong people around him to help make these things happen. And if it's option b, he's a joke for not sorting it out.
    OK

OK email sent, I'll let you know of any response.

Dear Mr Middleby,

I write as LONG term fan of Newcastle Football. I watched as Newcastle United were introduced at the Newcastle Showground in 1977 and have followed (and been a member of) every incarnation of the club ever since, KB United, Rosebud United, Breakers (mark I and II), Newcastle United, Newcastle Jets (Owner I and II).

Whilst I commend the club on many things one thing that really needs work is promoting atmosphere at home games. WSW fans showed what can be done when they transformed Hunter Stadium into THEIR home ground when they played here last season. The singing of You'll Never Walk Alone at the MCG was one of the most moving sights ever witnessed in sport in Australia in the recent Liverpool visit.

Hunter stadium needs to become a fortress for the Jets and ironically WSW showed us how it can be done!

Can I ask what is being done by the Jets this season to foster such atmosphere at home grounds. The Squadron do a great job but is the club working with them to assist in developing this culture in Newcastle? For example there is a clear relationship with the fans chosen song Never Tear Us Apart considering the history I laid out in the opening of this email. Can the club work with the Squadron for example to get an easily identifiable part of that song played as the team walks onto the field AND promote the fans to sing along (hand out words, put them up on the big screen etc and actively encourage it).

Don't use the lame excuse that you have to abide by FFA and A-League regulations here, Victory have handed over much of their pre-game entertainment to the fans, Perth Glory also play club music as the team walks out and even CCM play "Yellow" as the team walks out. So it can be done if there is a desire within the club to foster a passionate atmosphere at the home stadium.

We need to engage the fan base and turn it into an asset on game day by creating an atmosphere that spurs the Jets on and lets visiting teams know that they are playing on foreign turf.

So I ask, what is the club doing to be pro-active about this for the coming season?

When you write a letter to anyone asking questions or hoping to get change and you include a paragraph starting with "Don't use the lame excuse", don't expect to get people on side.

I'd love NTUA to be played before every game, without the standard FFA shite. When NTUA was played however, and fit was played before most games, for the most part from what I observed, outside the squadron the take up of the song was pretty low. The club can't hold a gun to peoples head and make them sing, or even hold their scarfs up.

Yes playing the song is a start, and I also think the club did this reasonably well last season, but I think getting other fans involved comes from the growing of the active support and this active support sucking in people on the fringes so it grows. As fans if we want this atmosphere we need to take responsibility for it and make the atmosphere something others want to join into.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    As fans if we want this atmosphere we need to take responsibility for it and make the atmosphere something others want to join into.
    100%

we need people making standards, banners, flags

this is not held to the active area of bay 2 and the squadron this is open to the whole ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Issue is still GA around bay 2. Both Sydney clubs,sCCuM, Victory, Heart, Perth, as far as I know have GA seating around their active areas. Which give people the opportunity to join in from the fringes. Having set seating around the active bay causes more issues as people feel 'entitled' to the seat they paid for.

This has of course been discussed to death in the various 'feedback'/'where do we **** up'/'we're all going to die' threads

I would say for us, the issue of GA around the active support is a problem because the active support is on the side of the pitch. should the southern end ever get seats it won't be an issue.

Also want to say that many of those whinging about the RBB schooling us at active support have probably never even tried to give anything in an active way.

Wanderers and the RBB are so good cause everyone joins in.

Agree with above that people need to take responsibility for their own support. Squadron does 10x better than the RBB per capita in the bay(s). If you want it to be better come join in bay 2, or better yet work on those around you getting involved in your own bays.

WSW have groups outside the active bays that contribute to the match day atmosphere by encouraging those around them to follow the RBB's lead, bay 49 and WOWS are two examples of this.

Stuff what the club does or doesn't do. They could play whatever they like but if there were groups of people in bays around the stadium who follow what the squadron do in terms of NTUA, Jets, common Newcastle, etc. the atmosphere would improve as more people realise "wow this is great"

I sat in bay 3 last season and when on of the easier "crowd pleasing" chant came on I would only have to yell it as loud as possible 2-3 times for those around me in bay 3-4 to join in. It's not hard.

Another issue is that on the southern hill there is a groups that instead of joining in with NTUA they like to bang on the metal fence and make as much anti-noise as possible. Just saying.

Take responsibility. Stand up and sing and others will follow.
    Last edited by Blackmac79; 13-08-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    Take responsibility. Stand up and sing and others will follow.
    This.

Bitching to the club about atmosphere isn't going to make it happen. If you expect someone else to make the atmosphere, it's never going to happen.

Club would prefer we all sat down and shut up anyway. Saves on seco costs.