Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 FFA knock-out cup

2014 FFA knock-out cup

has been announced.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/08/29...t-competition/

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has today announced that a national FFA Cup knock out competition will commence in 2014, subject to finalisation of commercial arrangements.

The move comes after lengthy discussions around the national ‘FA Cup’ style knock-out competition, which gives minnow teams a chance to play against professional teams, all the way to the A-League clubs.
    The FFA’s announcement follows below:

“FFA CEO David Gallop said the in-principle approval granted by the FFA Board at its 23 August meeting was a significant step forward for the game in Australia.

“The idea of the FFA Cup has captured the imagination of the football community and there’s a huge groundswell of support,” said Gallop.

“Everyone in the game is keen for this concept to come to life, but the prudent way forward is to ensure the right commercial and organisational foundations are in place.

“FFA Management now has a mandate to conclude the many positive talks we’ve had with broadcasters, sponsors and commercial partners.”

Over the past 12 months an FFA Project Team has been developing options for the FFA Cup, in consultation with Member Federations and A-League clubs.

The plan for the FFA Cup includes amateur and semi-professional clubs, including National Premier Leagues, and A-League clubs entering the draw on a progressive basis.

The options allow for existing State and Territory based cup competitions to remain in place as feeder competitions to the national cup.

The nine State and Territory Member Federations and 10 A-League clubs have unanimously endorsed the proposal to stage the inaugural FFA Cup within the calendar year with a Cup Final in December 2014.”

didnt they announce this last year?
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    didnt they announce this last year?
    I thought this too until I read that last paragraph
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Banned
    Yawn

Who cares??

The clubs below HAL level are not strong enough for it to be much of a contest

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Yawn

Who cares??

Pfft - can see Adamstown knocking our guys over tbh.....we are one club destined to be knocked out by an underdog !

Bonnyrigg WE 2 - 2 Newcastle Jets

i can easily see lower a-league teams being sprung by a top quality NPL side.

will be epic scenecs when SU can knock of WSW, or imagine Lakeside if SthMelb get to knock over the heart

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Yawn

Who cares??

Said Man City to Cardiff. We barely survived our hit out against White eagles don't be so cocky about our chances. Remember we have GVE in charge.

Banned
    GVE is out of contract at seasons end. You think he will get another contract when we don't make the finals??

Secondly you can harp on all you like about State League teams and their results against HAL teams but they are in season we are in pre season. What makes you think they will be as competitive when HAL Season rolls around???

On another note none of the NBN sides would trouble a HAL side

The Final is set down for December 2014 so I am assuming the Cup will be run over the 2nd half of the year. As far as I know all State league comps finish up this time of the year i.e late August/early September. Say the Cup starts in July then yes it may be possible for a State League side to beat a HAL side since it will still be only pre-season for the HAL. Once the Cup is in full swing and reaching the final rounds (say by November) I can't see a State League club going any further as it will be out of season for them while the HAL sides will be in full swing by then (except probably the Jets!!!)

Might be a few guest appearances for State League clubs as no points system will apply

newy to go out in the first round to simba

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    newy to go out in the first round to simba
    Jets = Sam Stosur

I'm interested to see how low the entry will be. Will it be limited to NPL clubs, ZL clubs, or can all age teams apply for it?

As for the Jets, I can see us being knocked out by the lowest ranked clubs :/
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

I'm not going to stop trying until I see you smile Mitchy's Avatar
    Hoping for west Sydney vs Sydney Croatia
    Novocastria Youth

Surely they wouldn't have all age teams.. Couldn't even see them having zone league either

Has to be open to all.

Maybe not in its first years but it must expand so anyone can throw a team in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Has to be open to all.

Maybe not in its first years but it must expand so anyone can throw a team in.
    yep. everybody has to be able to buy into the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchy View Post
    Hoping for west Sydney vs Sydney Croatia
    Already happened, Cops won by 60 batons and a shower of Capsicum spray

about time we had a cup comp