Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 FFA knock-out cup

yep. disgusting. FFA, not FFANZ.

the draw seems odd as well, guarantees that 1 C, two B's and an A make the semi's.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    yep. disgusting. FFA, not FFANZ.

the draw seems odd as well, guarantees that 1 C, two B's and an A make the semi's.
    How are a pot A team "guarantee" to go threw?
    Yes you would expect at least 1 to progress but their far from guaranteed.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

There needs to be an ACL playoff spot on the line to make it seem anything other than a pre-season warm-up.

Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post
    There needs to be an ACL playoff spot on the line to make it seem anything other than a pre-season warm-up.
    Gallop said that was his desire but he needed to speak to AFC about that.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    How are a pot A team "guarantee" to go threw?
    Yes you would expect at least 1 to progress but their far from guaranteed.
    point taken, but odds are highly in their favour. why do the best teams in Australia not have an equal chance to make the finals. every team that makes it from the C group is going to have their presence questioned ("they only got there because the draw is rigged") while fans of the top teams sit there and wonder why they got such a hard draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    why is there a 20c piece stuck on the trophy?

is that the prize money?

we are out first round folks. We have to play another A-League team

but at least we don't got embarrassed by a state league club

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    point taken, but odds are highly in their favour. why do the best teams in Australia not have an equal chance to make the finals. every team that makes it from the C group is going to have their presence questioned ("they only got there because the draw is rigged") while fans of the top teams sit there and wonder why they got such a hard draw.
    I see what you're saying but I personally have no problem. Its no different to any other Cup or Tournament where Higher Ranked Teams/Players are seeded. For the State Representative Clubs its just the same as any Cup where it's Luck of the Draw.

Edit: I see what you're saying Ideally there should not of been a pot C. Pot B and Pot C should have been combined.
    Last edited by Premy; 24-02-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post
    Would love to see the FFA get in the ear of the AFC and get us elevated to three full spots with one for the cup or have them allocate at least our half spot for the winner, provided they are an HAL team. Would be good if the FFA could get in with say that Singapore knockout cup south Melbourne played in a few years ago or another tournament for the highest placed non HAL club should they cause the ultimate upset, with the highest placed HAL side getting the ACL spot.
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Cup magic shouldn't be forced its ok to seed the first round but from then on every team should have equal avenue to the final

Banned
    End of day the depth of clubs in our game in this country isn't there. I just never see a non HAL side winning the thing. Matter of fact I struggle to see many of these lower sides even troubling the HAL sides bar the occasional effort from a former NSL club such as South Melbourne Syd United etc

I am though adamant that this will be a competition that the Jets will some how find a way to embarass and disgrace us in.
    Can we just forfeit now to save ****ing time???

Bet you the Coast Scum though are highly successful in this shit though

I've said it from the start, the format is quite shit, and nothing like the FA Cup.
    Looks very much like a marketer's vision of how the FFA Cup should be run, modern football and all that. It's more like the FFA Champions League.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    End of day the depth of clubs in our game in this country isn't there. I just never see a non HAL side winning the thing. Matter of fact I struggle to see many of these lower sides even troubling the HAL sides bar the occasional effort from a former NSL club such as South Melbourne Syd United etc
    I'm no state league fanboi, but I believe state league clubs have beaten A-League clubs on quite a number of occasions. Granted, they might have been pre-season friendlies with understrength teams, but I don't think the gap is as bad as you make out.

Only issue is that the A-League clubs would appear to have a huge bias in the draw, which will make it hard for the State League clubs to do well on probability alone. Before people mention how EPL teams don't come into the FA Cup until later rounds, ya, I know this, but even then I don't think the numbers end up being so heavily in their favour.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Love it.

Magic.

Cup.

Bring on South Melbourne or Knights, United or Marconi

Or even bonnyrigg who drew us 2-2 away from home last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Would love to see the FFA get in the ear of the AFC and get us elevated to three full spots with one for the cup or have them allocate at least our half spot for the winner, provided they are an HAL team. Would be good if the FFA could get in with say that Singapore knockout cup south Melbourne played in a few years ago or another tournament for the highest placed non HAL club should they cause the ultimate upset, with the highest placed HAL side getting the ACL spot.
    FFA have no say in who is allocated the spots.

Technically at the moment first past the post gets 1 full spot

our "cup" winner (finals) gets 1 spot

and the half goes to highest placed otherwise.

Would not be surprised if the FFA Cup gets a full spot and the Grandfinal winner gets the half.

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    I've said it from the start, the format is quite shit, and nothing like the FA Cup.
    Looks very much like a marketer's vision of how the FFA Cup should be run, modern football and all that. It's more like the FFA Champions League.

I'm no state league fanboi, but I believe state league clubs have beaten A-League clubs on quite a number of occasions. Granted, they might have been pre-season friendlies with understrength teams, but I don't think the gap is as bad as you make out.

Only issue is that the A-League clubs would appear to have a huge bias in the draw, which will make it hard for the State League clubs to do well on probability alone. Before people mention how EPL teams don't come into the FA Cup until later rounds, ya, I know this, but even then I don't think the numbers end up being so heavily in their favour.
    Complete dribble
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I'm pretty happy with the balance, the fact some of the key games will line up with international duty will also help pull the HAL sides back to the pack.

Realistically there is no way you could do a complete random draw, and the fact it does not even happen in England seems lost on some. Seeding is needed and the fact that we only have one tier of pro teams means that seeding was always going to be contentious. People need toe remember this is the first year, it will need to build from here.

I also like the way the top 4 are rewarded with their seeding, this will help drive a greater desire to be in the top 40% of the league oppose to not being in the lowest 40 at the moment.

The ACL spot will be interesting if you read the ACL guidelines this should take one of the group positions for the ACL that aus has but I would not be surprised to see only the half a spot granted to the winner and only if they are a HAL side.

With foxtel only showing games they deem important enough I'd really like to see the FFA, Jets & NNSW engage locally based media (NBN, ABC Newcastle, The herald) to try and get coverage for the games fox don't want to cover that involve local teams especially when these games will be hosted at local venues in our region. Even if NNSW got the FFA to allow NBN to do a basic coverage of the games for their website like they have done for the NBN league GF. Something basic to be streamed online allow NBN to sell a little local advertising for the stream maybe get a jets player, probably Bridges to do some commentary (just for you PV4 ) keep it low key don't try and get it on FTA as it will never rate.

I'm calling it early jets to be the first HAL side knocked out by a NPL side, we always seem to give the underdogs a leg up, a returning out of form player a couple of goals why not add in a leg up for an NPL team each year.
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    People need toe remember this is the first year, it will need to build from here.
    this occurred to me on the drive home as well, i hope that this system improves over time.

while i don't think the pots system is all that great, kudos to FFA.

they've walked the walk on this one. i will be keeping a close eye on the impending draws to see who is playing who. i will make a conscious effort to make it to a state league game (in the ACT that is), something i have never done before.

great job FFA, kutgw. seriously.

Can easily see a top state league team from the Vic or nsw premier leagues knocking off an aleague side.

Would be doing well to do it enough times to win the thing, but I'd not like our chances on current form if we got drawn Sydney. Utd, or Sth Melbourne. Perth would struggle to, traveling midweek etc etc

Good first edition IMO. Gallop was pretty clear nothing is in concrete and all will be reviewed.

Better than any FFA cup Ben Buckley put together.

I think great concept. And IMO winner MUST get a spot in Asia (Essential)......Can't wait