Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 2018

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Also PV4 this line up of yours ??
    No Zadkovich WTF??
    Back 4 is the same clowns who let in goal after goal as a combo???
    resting zadko so he doesn't get injured.

our back 4 won't change too much no matter who is posting it. for me, neville & ritter have been some our best widebacks we've had at the club ever. i really rate both tiago & mitchell, i know others don't. regan is the answer for nothing imo. chapman could probably be replacing mitchell, but i'd definately leave the people's champ tiago in. imo the reason they concede so much is the moment we get it up to the likes of your virgili's and co we just effing waste the ball - and no matter how good your defence is, if you let an opposition have the ball and receive wave after wave of attack, you're going to concede. yes, tiago has passed it to the opposition and they've scored, so i can't blame it on virgili. but i can blame virgili for turning over possession that's led to goals or near-goals a whole bloody lot more. we defend from the front, starting from keeping possession & then actually having front men try to tackle - and that's what we're lacking majorly. for a possession-based game, we're turning the ball over way too much in mid-to-high areas & it's making our defence look worse than it is.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    with the inclusion of griff i genuinely see the full-strength lineup as such:

-------------biraz---------------
    neville--tiago--mitchell--ritter
    ------------jobe----------------
    ryu--------brown*-----goodwin
    -------griff-----heskey---------

bk
    chapman
    rubez
    taggart

*give him some time, he'll come good

heskey has spent a large part of his career playing alongside another striker. he's pretty versatile. with someone as immense as griff alongside him, i can see the two up front working out well. i think with an attack as hectic as that, we won't need a second holding mid.
    So we will expose an already shaky defence by removing one of our defensive mids to accomodate Griffiths in the team? I don't see Ryan, Brown or Goodwin committing to the extra defensive responsibilities so we can accomodate 2 strikers sitting up top. I think that is a luxury we aren't in a position to afford

lets take the obvious emotion and love joel girffiths gets on here and look at the facts. he scored 28 goals in his 60 games or 4 seasons (06-10) for the jets as per wikipedia. He top scored in the a-league with 12 in 2008. 28 minus 12 is 16 across the other 3 years which is 5.3 goals per year. he has a poor discipline record and is 33 years old.
    In possibly coming back to the a-league he would be looking for one last big pay day (dont blame him one bit) but i just dont see the value in him. He goes against the youth policy GVE has established which i actually like. If the jets/HSG/GVE really wanted him, they wouldve splashed the cash and made him the marquee signing, instead we got heskey who in my opinion is a better player. Some of the fans might love to see him back, but i think more are on the heskey bandwagon now and just look at the extra exposure the club has received from signing heskey in australia and overseas. wouldve we received the same exposure had we signed joel griffiths, i seriously doubt it.

jeterpool.. read my post above - my thoughts are there.

ange's victory are doing fine with no defence & a heap of attack.

brisbane have gone downhill since rado came in and stated "we're playing 2 holding mids, not 1 anymore".

#justsayin
    OK

jeterpool.. read my post above - my thoughts are there.

ange's victory are doing fine with no defence & a heap of attack.

brisbane have gone downhill since rado came in and stated "we're playing 2 holding mids, not 1 anymore".

#justsayin
    I read what you wrote. Good to get some discussion going! It came across to me as "score more than the opposition does". If we had a stronger defensive unit, I'd have no problem with the formation.

I'd question your statement about Ange's Victory - 2 weeks ago i wouldn't have said they were doing fine. And Brisbane, the game I watched on the weekend I swore they were playing 1 holding mid too - I'll watch closer this weekend.

If bringing back Griffiths means changing the style of play the team Gary has been building for the last year and a bit to accomodate him, then it's a no-brainer. The team is bigger than any 1 player. This whole thing sounds to me like, for example, Liverpool fans who want to bring back Torres or Benitez.

We're trying to bring Griffiths back to help us score goals, which hasn't been our problem this year - we are dropping points because we can't defend. The clubs money, in my opinion, would be better spent adressing this area of the pitch instead.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 28-11-2012 at 01:11 PM.

5-3 wins everyday of the week compared to 1-0 wins

sign griff, the kids & the mums want him.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    lets take the obvious emotion and love joel girffiths gets on here and look at the facts. he scored 28 goals in his 60 games or 4 seasons (06-10) for the jets as per wikipedia. He top scored in the a-league with 12 in 2008. 28 minus 12 is 16 across the other 3 years which is 5.3 goals per year. he has a poor discipline record and is 33 years old.
    In possibly coming back to the a-league he would be looking for one last big pay day (dont blame him one bit) but i just dont see the value in him. He goes against the youth policy GVE has established which i actually like. If the jets/HSG/GVE really wanted him, they wouldve splashed the cash and made him the marquee signing, instead we got heskey who in my opinion is a better player. Some of the fans might love to see him back, but i think more are on the heskey bandwagon now and just look at the extra exposure the club has received from signing heskey in australia and overseas. wouldve we received the same exposure had we signed joel griffiths, i seriously doubt it.
    Anelka has scored 3 goals in 12 games for Shanghai Shenhua.

Griffo has scored 6 goals in 18 games for Shanghai Shenhua.

Griffo > Anelka.

Bring him home Tinks. We won't need any defence.

a little part of me doesn't want the great one to return, as seeing your barry berrigans and robbo robinsons go HAM when people call for it on the heralds and 442s etc is up there with the time he hooked snake up with some fat chicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I read what you wrote. Good to get some discussion going! It came across to me as "score more than the opposition does". If we had a stronger defensive unit, I'd have no problem with the formation.

I'd question your statement about Ange's Victory - 2 weeks ago i wouldn't have said they were doing fine. And Brisbane, the game I watched on the weekend I swore they were playing 1 holding mid too - I'll watch closer this weekend.

If bringing back Griffiths means changing the style of play the team Gary has been building for the last year and a bit to accomodate him, then it's a no-brainer. The team is bigger than any 1 player. This whole thing sounds to me like, for example, Liverpool fans who want to bring back Torres or Benitez.

We're trying to bring Griffiths back to help us score goals, which hasn't been our problem this year - we are dropping points because we can't defend. The clubs money, in my opinion, would be better spent adressing this area of the pitch instead.
    in a sense i was saying "let's score more than them" but mostly i'm saying if we have an attacking unit that doesn't give the ball away etc it'll put less pressure on our defence.

ange's victory are coming good, and will get better. he's had a lot less time to install his ideas down there, and he's now beginning to get them clicking.

yep they played one holding mid and had a close game against one of the better-performing teams in the comp. when rado came in he said he wanted to change to 2 holding mids, and they had an abysmal start to the season. what i'm saying is - with a forceful attack, there's no need for the extra cover man.

in argument against gary's system - i see barely any high-pressing, high-intensity, high-possession game. his "system" is an ideal, and has not been produced. we are scrapping games. our attack is not classy enough as is to hold possession in high areas. we need to fix this to even remotely go close to finding the form his system desires. griff is perfect for his system imo.
    OK

After reading through the FFA's National Coaching Curriculum, you can definitely see GVE is rigidly incorporating the preferred 4-3-3 system/ philosophy.

I think this will work in the long-run. Not only for the Jets, but will also make the progression from Junior to Senior football and beyond that much easier, for everybody.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...101-source.pdf

"score more than the opposition does"
    Worst theory ever. Spoken by chumps that are bereft of knowledge and have no idea how to fix a defence leaking like a sieve.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    After reading through the FFA's National Coaching Curriculum, you can definitely see GVE is rigidly incorporating the preferred 4-3-3 system/ philosophy.

I think this will work in the long-run. Not only for the Jets, but will also make the progression from Junior to Senior football and beyond that much easier, for everybody.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...101-source.pdf

Our club is actually incorporating it well in the Yoofs. Watch the Yoof play and they are are trying to play the way GVE professes to at a level much closer to his spoken philosophy. Probably the biggest issue is that the players required to play the system are not really there but that is more of an issue with FFA to solve with the kids skills needing improvement

As for the first team we get a bastardised version that looks nothing like it sounds. That also being said it may be the right way to go. This system requires a bit of a understanding to work it properly and time is required to learn it properly. Forcing it onto the current HAL side who would have spent most of their development years playing 4-4-2 i probably a recipe for disaster if it don't work out and after all the Egg needs results to keep his job and keep the Haters off his back.

You could also argue that these blokes are pro footballers and should be able to adapt but after all they are pro footballers and simple philosophies seem to cause massive issues with them being unable to get their head around ie see our strategy V Phoenix

Will be good to see in 4-5 years when GVE's philosophy starts to bear fruit with the Emerging Jets program having the kids playing it for a few years before progressing to the HAL Level

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Worst theory ever. Spoken by chumps that are bereft of knowledge and have no idea how to fix a defence leaking like a sieve.
    I can tell you're taking the piss. Of course we need to score more than the opposition does to win matches.

What I was trying to say was to simply attack-attack-attack isn't everything. Have a look and in majority of leagues over time, those with the best defensive records are the ones usually 1, 2 and 3 on the table.

There needs to be a balance, which our defence - at the moment - aren't providing.

Banned
    I can tell you're taking the piss. Of course we need to score more than the opposition does to win matches.

What I was trying to say was to simply attack-attack-attack isn't everything. Have a look and in majority of leagues over time, those with the best defensive records are the ones usually 1, 2 and 3 on the table.

There needs to be a balance, which our defence - at the moment - aren't providing.
    Precisely right DEFENCE wins titles in nearly all sports. Everyone always marvels over the attack from teams but it it what they do without the ball that goes the furthest to deciding if they win or lose. It is very rare that an attacking team wins comps. Spain/Barca are a rare exception to the rule!!

Arsenal win shit despite some breath taking football yet Man Utd whose football has been shit for about 5 years now are constantly there when the whips are cracking in the the UCL / EPL. Chelsea are another classic example where their football isn't that appealing on the eye but it wins titles

In the NRL West Tigers are put down as favourites every year for their razzle dazzle footy but it is Manly Storm etc who get the title due to their defence

keeping possession is the key - which our attacking mids/forwards aren't doing well enough currently. no matter how good a defence is, if they're being bombarded by the other team they're going to concede eventually.
    OK

Banned
    Australia to fight for ACL spots
    28 November 2012-SBS: Scott McIntyre

Football Federation Australia officials face an intense day of lobbying in Kuala Lumpur after the AFC’s competitions committee voted yesterday to reduce Australia’s Champions League spots to one direct entry and one playoff slot.

Australia fell short of the AFC’s required benchmark score in its review of the competition with the main sticking point being the fact that the A-League is not run as a separate entity from the federation.

As a result only one club – in all probability premiership winner Central Coast Mariners – will now gain entry into the tournament proper.

A second club, almost certainly grand final winner Brisbane Roar, will then have to enter the qualification tournament against a team from Thailand, adding substantially to the financial burden facing ACL clubs.

Unlike last season there will be no third slot available, meaning Perth Glory is likely to be left empty-handed unless the AFC’s executive committee amends the recommendation on Thursday.

Speaking to The World Game in Malaysia, FFA chief executive David Gallop said the move came as a surprise.

“The acknowledgment today of the ACL allocation certainly produced some odd results,” he said.

“We’ve raised concerns not in relation to subjective determinations that were part of the decision but also at the unintended consequence of that application and we believe we’ve got forceful points to make when considered by Exco.”

Moreover Gallop questioned the reasoning behind the move given that Australia will host the AFC’s flagship competition, the Asian Cup, in just over two years.

“Participation in the ACL is an important part of the build-up to the Asian Cup in 2015 both in Australia and throughout Asia and on a common sense level it doesn’t stack up to have Australia’s presence diluted.”

In a move orchestrated by a block of West Asian nations, India, Jordan, Vietnam and Singapore are understood to be the other nations that have lost out in the new allocation of spots.
    Be ****ing hilarious if they go the other way and put Roar in Automatically as GF winners and make the Gypos as Premiers Plate winners qualify.

Can't wait for the bitching coming from Arnold and the Gypo fans if that happens.

Would be quite right to seeing as the Toilet Seat is the REAL prize we all aspire to not the hubcap thing the Gypos believe is some type of holy grail

keeping possession is the key - which our attacking mids/forwards aren't doing well enough currently. no matter how good a defence is, if they're being bombarded by the other team they're going to concede eventually.
    That's a fair point. I agree with what you say there

the afc value ladder position much higher than finals. that's why adelaide (3rd place), not gcu (highest semis), got in for the last acl.

where we fall short is: no promotion/relegation, no money, our overall organisation, small season length, + we are considered a 9-team comp (no wellington). at the same time, we whip the scores in fifa ranking, crowds, etc - but the weighting of each category is determined by what can get the petrol-dollars of qatar (who get crowd averages around 4000 and some games get < 200 people there) into the acl, while being racist to australia because we are hated by the majority of asia.

if i was a perth player, particularly one signed this season, i would be flipping out right now. i bet michael thwaite will be flipping tables he didn't go to roar instead, if this all comes to a head.

i thought they were talking about still giving us three places, but all three were non-direct-qualification. obviously not.

the problem with accepting a non-qualification spot is if you lose the qualifying game to said thailiand team (which is highly unlikely - adelaide played against a team this year who couldn't even get their players through customs) then you're obligated to play in the losers comp which is basically a second-tier acl which saps just as much money out of your club, draws less crowds & tv ratings, and is pointless.

the biggest issues this highlights to me is: asia is corrupt, and if fifa wasn't then something could be done about it. the ffa is farked. the quicker oceania is disbanded & we're all considered SE asia the better, so we're not seen as the bad guys anymore.
    OK

where we fall short is: no promotion/relegation, no money, our overall organisation, small season length, + we are considered a 9-team comp (no wellington). at the same time, we whip the scores in fifa ranking, crowds, etc - but the weighting of each category is determined by what can get the petrol-dollars of qatar (who get crowd averages around 4000 and some games get < 200 people there) into the acl, while being racist to australia because we are hated by the majority of asia. .
    Not the case at all, I'd really like to see this mystery document that states if you don't have pro/rel you can't have "x" amount of spots, all it does is reduce your score card and create a non conforming league, of which there are many.

The biggest areas the HAL falls down in is that it does not have an independent league run under license from the federation & that the FFA flirts with the cross ownership rules for club participation every time they take over clubs, that is not to mention the outright ownership of their own team in a league they 100% control.

These are things that can be fixed but old uncle frank does not want that now he's in charge, they are also the major issues around the ACL spots since the HAL gained entry, the same issues we keep saying we'll fix but never do.

By all means this is political shit fighting & it looks like they have the numbers by conveniently forgetting the rampant match fixing in china so they not only don't lose a spot but gain back another full spot, but really how many times do you complain about having your house robbed and before you stop continuing to leave your front door unlocked, start playing the political games or stop whinging I say.

Lets go play in the AFC Cup anyway, easier team (Send the yoof at the group stage they need more games and development), should be guaranteed finals football for HAL teams, stronger tests at the end anyway, more games for clubs & players & most importantly WSG don't own the rights to all signage and all revenue streams meaning the HAL might stand more chance of advancing & making smaller losses for continental competition over the ACL.

Met the ground announcer from the Gypos last night at schoolies....he reckons Rogic has sealed a move overseas in the next transfer window, and that Finkler from Melbourne victory has already agreed to terms with the Gypos to replace him.