Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

"consumer experience"

FFS, if they bring some big screen third umpire decision pending bullshit, we will be the laughing stock of world football.

If it comes in, it must be as if the ref made the call and happened to get it right cos it all happens quickly without anyone knowing some technology had been used.

Banned
    The issue I see with this goal line technology is that it is probably only ever needed seriously once every 100 games.
    Germany V England WC 2010
    Ukraine V England Euro 2012
    FA CUP Final 2012
    Are just a few matches where the system could have been used and proved beneficial. Matches come and go without any issues raised.

What does concern me is that they will start using it by taking the "just to be safe" angle. As a result the thing will probably be used once every 10 matches when it should only be required once every 100 matches. Other issue is they start with this and then expand it to something else and turn our game into a mess like the NRL have with their Video Ref stuffing 6 calls up a week

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    "consumer experience"

FFS, if they bring some big screen third umpire decision pending bullshit, we will be the laughing stock of world football.

If it comes in, it must be as if the ref made the call and happened to get it right cos it all happens quickly without anyone knowing some technology had been used.
    From FIFA.com...

"Hawk-Eye system – goal-line camera technology
    The Hawk-Eye system uses six to eight high-speed cameras set up at different angles at each end to calculate the exact position of the ball. The data from the cameras is then transferred to video software. From this data, the system generates a graphic image (3D) of the ball's trajectory. The match officials are informed of whether or not it was a goal within one second."

I will preface this by saying I am not, and never will be a fan of Technology used in Football. But, if it were thrust upon us, it appears as if it will be an almost instant verification system, with zero tv screens used.

Not really people need to look at the systems and understand it is not a referral system like cricket or NRL or NFL or even tennis.

The basic idea is that the elected system has to send a signal to the refs watch within 1 second. So basically before the ref would even get a chance to blow the whistle his watch would light up saying it had crossed. So far Hawkeye & Goalref are the only two to meet the requirements. Hawkeye seems to be the front runner I think mainly due to sony pushing it, sony's relationship with FIFA & the fact hawkeye has been used in multiple sports so seems to be the "proven" tech.

Goalref seems to be the more ideal method, its easier to install, costs less & will not be as prone to errors as hawkeye.

The reason Hawkeye costs so much is that you need to set up 6 dedicated high speed cameras around the ground to track the ball movements, but it is still prone to potential errors, just imagine trying to track a ball as its whipped in from a corner into the crowded penalty box.

Goalref seems to be able to handle the football environment a lot better as it was designed specifically for football by a former ref, only requires the magnetic field to be impacted by the ball to then send the signal.

The" consumer experience", FFS Groman 2.0, would not necessarily be at the ground, ideally everything would be normal just like if the ref made the call no noticeable delay no referrals, no watching the video screen etc, but the replay for TV viewers could be like the tennis replays of the ball movement animation.

I'd like to see the HAL team with goalref and set up some systems, most will opt with hawkeye so I think a smaller league with a tv partner like fox who would be open to working on a system to animate the replays and work it into tv coverage would be a good chance for them to test it out, the fact we only have a small number of stadiums that would be used would help keep the cost down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Goalref seems to be able to handle the football environment a lot better as it was designed specifically for football by a former ref, only requires the magnetic field to be impacted by the ball to then send the signal.
    If it uses the penetration of a magnetic feild to determine if the ball has crossed the goal line is there going to be some sort of metal or metallic strip on the ball?
    and if so wouldnt this impact on the ball?

Also if they use hawk eye or anything similar to that, in most cases it you would think that it would slow down the game and also in cricket etc there are a number of decisions where it cant predict 100% accuracy.

I really hope they stay clear of this technology. I love the fact its one of the only sports where its all up to the refs. if you look at league a number of fans want video ref gone.

Watch for people throwing magnets!

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets recruit Dominik Ritter met his new teammates for the first time at training at Ray Watt Oval on Sunday morning.

The former Swiss under 20’s international arrived in Australia on Saturday evening and said he was pleased with his new surroundings.

“My first impressions are very good,” he said.

“I arrived yesterday evening so haven’t had a lot of time to look at things but today was the first time on the pitch at training and it is very good weather so I’m happy.”

Ritter said he was excited by the challenge of moving to the other side of the world to pursue his football career.

“There is an agent here who contacted me to see if I wanted to play in Australia and everything went very fast from there and now I am here,” he said.

“It’s a chance to play somewhere new and it’s an adventure. There is a new language, a new culture and everything is new to me here, so it’s very exciting.”

Ritter admitted he didn’t know a lot about the A-League before the prospect of joining the Jets came up, but he said he was pleased with what he learned about the competition after researching it online.

“I didn’t know a lot, but people informed me about the 10 teams that play in the A-League and I saw all the stadiums on the internet and I’m really excited to play here,” he explained.

“I’ve not seen every match, but on the internet and on YouTube I’ve seen some parts of games and it is good… it is maybe a little bit nearer to English football.”

Ritter came through the youth system at Switzerland’s most successful club of the past decade, FC Basel, where he also played at first team level with former Socceroo Scott Chipperfield.

He has represented the Swiss national team at underage level and most recently played for FC Winterthur.

The 23-year-old said he was confident of fitting in well with the playing philosophy of Jets head coach Gary van Egmond.

“I like to play as a defender at left back or centre back. For me it doesn’t matter which one, but we’ll see what the coach chooses,” he said.

“(Gary) has spoken to me that he wants to make a lot of pressure (in defence).

“I like to go forward, to attack and make two against one in the offence if I’m playing on the left side. I think maybe the best type of defence is to attack.”

Ritter will join his teammates for the four-day pre-season camp in Canberra starting on Monday. He said he felt fit enough to play in Wednesday night’s trial game against Canberra Rockets if required.

“I was in Switzerland doing my own fitness and I think I am pretty good. But we’ll see tomorrow (at training),” he said.

“I would like to play on Wednesday, maybe not for the whole game, but for a part of it of course.

“I’ve heard it will be a little bit colder there… but in winter in Switzerland we have cold temperatures so it will be not so cold for me in Canberra.”
    http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...ewcastle/48036

Banned
    Good Weather eyy This blokes easily pleased

I know it was sunny and a pleasant Winters day in Newy today but he ain't seen nothing yet weather wise.

I wonder how he will find training in January in 33 degrees???

ffs

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Good Weather eyy This blokes easily pleased
    I know it was sunny and a pleasant Winters day in Newy today but he ain't seen nothing yet weather wise.
    I wonder how he will find training in January in 33 degrees???
    Playing in 35deg will sort him but then again only a back.

Surprised they allowed him to talk to the media tbh.

Adnan is goneskis.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226421306976

Bahraini defender Mohamed Adnan to return home to family

A-LEAGUE champions Brisbane Roar have suffered a blow with Bahraini defender Mohamed Adnan choosing to return to his family in the Middle East.

Adnan played a key role in the Roar's second straight title success in his maiden A-League season, teaming superbly in central defence with skipper Matt Smith.

The 29-year-old, who played 79 internationals for Bahrain before being detained for three months for human-rights protests against the government, had been desperate to rejoin his extended family at the end of his one-year contract.

New Roar coach Rado Vidosic said Adnan would continue his career in the Gulf region after being a notable absentee from the club's opening training session of the pre-season on Monday.

"We wish him all the best and good luck, he's been a very important part of our team," Vidosic said.

"To have someone like that was great but also it now allows us to bring through some young players."

Matt Jurman is set to start the A-League season in central defence with Smith but Vidosic said he was yet to decide whether to sign a foreign defender as he can add two more overseas players to his squad.

In good news for a Roar outfit looking for an A-League three-peat, creative midfielder Mitch Nichols is set to remain in Brisbane after he failed to gain a contract with newly-promoted Danish first division club Randers.

Conducting his first training session as head coach after replacing Ange Postecoglou, who is now in charge at Melbourne Victory, long-time assistant Vidosic said he would remain a hands-on mentor and nothing would change at the Roar.

"We set the standard very high and we'll try to maintain it and even improve on that," Vidosic said.

"We know that we've been frontrunners in the A-League for the past two A-League seasons and we want to make sure the gap between us and the rest is getting even wider."

As well as Adnan, the Roar have farewelled Canadian winger Issey Nakajima-Farran, reserve goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne and fringe defender Matt Mundy from their 2011-12 squad but bolstered their list with the signing of Gold Coast young gun Ben Halloran.

Damn, thought he was quality tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by russjaybee View Post
    Damn, thought he was quality tbh.
    Who is Harper going to question about not being able to take a free kick this year...oh wait...pretty much nobody in the a-league can!

AIS a bit austere for Jets stars

BY JAMES GARDINER

10 Jul, 2012 04:00 AM

1995332.jpg

THEY may be bankrolled by billionaire Nathan Tinkler, but some Newcastle Jets players are not overly impressed with the luxuries afforded them on the first trip of the season.
    They arrived at the Australian Institute of Sport, in Canberra, yesterday for a four-day camp that includes a hit-out against the ACT Rockets tomorrow night.

Accustomed to staying in four- and five-star hotels, some players did not seem impressed with the dormitory-style accommodation and expressed their sentiments on Twitter.

Striker Ryan Griffiths posted: ‘‘Love our rooms at ais!’’ which was accompanied by a photo of former Premier League star Michael Bridges. Other members of the squad joined in.

‘‘@RyuGriff @MarkBirraz @the_produecer @jacobpepper8 Haha worst room in history bro Get me out of here,’’ Bridges wrote. Griffiths added: ‘‘@Bridgy8 @markbirraz @the_produecer @jacobpepper8 how much is bail? This prison cell is cramped!’’

The comments disappeared from Twitter within an hour of an inquiry to Jets management by the Herald.

Jobe Wheelhouse, Marko Jesic, Mark Birighitti, Adam Taggart, James Brown, Sam Gallaway and Mitch Oxborrow have all spent at least a year on the campus as AIS products.

Birighitti posted: ‘‘Loving the prison cells where living in at AIS. I bet @Bridgy8 @RyuGriff aren’t use to living like this.’’

Jets management did not respond to Herald text messages last night.
    Rof.
    Attached Images Attached Images

herald really scraping for a story today. players joke around a bit on twitter about a few days of uncomfortable living and it's a major story.

the foz must not be spreading enough rumours for the herald journos! let's start one..

my sources tell me that Thomas Hitzlsperger (former villa, west ham, stuttgart player) has looked past an audatious bid by everton and is lined up to accept an offer from the Hunter Sports Group Hunter Ports Newcastle United Jets Football Club to become their international marquee and #10 signing. my source said that van egmond was looking for a well-drilled yet creative midfielder, and the german fit the books perfectly. hitzlsperger will also be in charge of free kick takings as he has one of the most powerful shots in the world. it's believed that hitzlsperger is good friends with carlton cole from his time at west ham, and thomas is attempting to drag him along with him. cole and his family are apparently looking for an ultimate change of lifestyle, and it's expected he will be asking for wages that could fit under the cap.

your welcome, james & robert.
    OK

Bridgey has a go back!!

Michael Bridges ‏@Bridgy8
    Obviously @JamesGardiner42 & @newcastleherald where desperate 4 another way off the mark story today & used the boys banter to get it. SAD!!

and again

Michael Bridges ‏@Bridgy8
    In future would @newcastleherald & @JamesGardiner42 please do their homework & research before getting in on team banter & spirit#amateurs

new found resecta for bridgy

And Herald journos wonder why Jets wont talk to them ffs