Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

Topor-Stanley Exits Jets For West

NEWCASTLE Jets have released Nikolai Topor-Stanley with the towering defender set to join the new Western Sydney side next week.

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said it was in the best interests of the club to grant the 27-year-old a release to join the fledgling club and bolster the defence alongside Michael Beauchamp.

"He is a good footballer and this is a wonderful opportunity for Nikolai to continue his career at another club," Middleby said.

"This opportunity gives him longevity in the game and as a club we couldn't stand in his way.

"We would like to thank Nikolai for his contribution to the Jets and wish him well in the future."

He is likely to join former team-mate Tarek Elrich at the new side which will reveal its name - expected to be Western Sydney Wanderers - colours and logo on Monday.

Also set to be unveiled are Shannon Cole, Mark Bridge, Aaron Mooy and Liam Reddy with former Sydney FC NYL striker Kerem Bulut also tipped as a possible signing.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/24373...stle-jets.aspx
    Putting aside the NTS news, Bulut would be a good signing for them or us even.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Putting aside the NTS news, Bulut would be a good signing for them or us even.
    Not sold on him yet. Pretty much the same story as most of our squad, could turn out to be a gun but could also turn out to be a Patafta

Aaron mooy is the only one worth getting excited about in the apparent 10 that will be named on monday, the rest are club rejects that, if not for the new team, would be either struggling for game time or on the couch watching next season

Is Bulut out of jail?

ben mcnamara, former jets 3rd keeper & toronto boy, has a trial with afc wimbledon.

Nikolai falls from favour as Jets head in new direction
    JAMES GARDINER Analysis Sat, Jun 23 2012

LET GO: Nikolai Topor-Stanley

WHEN Nikolai Topor-Stanley committed to two more years with the Jets 18 months ago it was hailed as a turning point in the club’s history.
    Sydney FC had offered a king’s ransom to lure Topor-Stanley back to the harbour city. But in the end the Jets considered the towering central defender and 2010-11 player of the year too important to let go.
    They raised the ante and Topor-Stanley inked a new deal, becoming one of the club’s top earners.
    ‘‘Certainly in my time at Newcastle it’s the first time that we’ve actually kept a player that’s had an offer from a so-called bigger club – and I think that will change with Nathan and where we are now – but I think that’s a real positive,’’ then coach Branko Culina said.
    ‘‘I think that’s going to send a clear message to the rest of the players, hopefully, within our team and from outside, that, hey, these guys had better offers but they decided to stay.’’
    Yesterday, the same player they fought so hard to retain was regarded as surplus to requirements and released from the final year of his contract.
    Why the dramatic shift?
    For starters, Gary van Egmond replaced Culina as coach.
    They are different characters with different philosophies and different expectations.
    Van Egmond insists on playing out from the back.
    There is no question Topor-Stanley has limitations in that department.
    On a couple of occasions last season he struggled to find a player in red and blue, but it is an aspect of his game that has improved.
    On the flip side are his strengths.
    He is incredibly quick for a big man, probably the league’s best in the air and a great one-on-one defender.
    Presumably those traits did not weigh up.
    It is unlikely that age was a factor. Topor-Stanley recently turned 27.
    Likewise durability. He played 25 of 27 matches last season. Apart from minor Achilles and knee trouble that require management, he is in good shape physically.
    There is a school of thought that Topor-Stanley simply did not fit van Egmond’s mould of young, athletic, amenable tearaways.
    He is not a conformist but, by the same token, he is hardly a rabble-rouser.
    In making the assessment, van Egmond no doubt looked at the big picture, the A-League’s $2.35million salary cap foremost in his mind.
    Topor-Stanley was on about $250,000 a season. His defensive partner Tiago earns about $200,000.
    Is it good business to have such a large chunk of the salary cap taken up at the back end of the pitch?
    The Herald understands Tiago was offered $50,000 to walk away from the final year of his deal, but he appears to be back in favour.
    The Jets did not reveal the details of Topor-Stanley’s exit other than to say it was a ‘‘mutual release agreement’’.
    Any payout must be included in the salary cap.
    Whether Topor-Stanley is replaced remains to be seen.
    It certainly won’t be with another high-priced defender.
    Newcastle-born former Perth Glory defender Josh Mitchell has been training with the Jets for a week.
    Home-grown product Taylor Regan has proved he is more than up to it.
    There are big raps on 17-year-old former Australian Joeys captain Connor Chapman, whom van Egmond brought to the club towards the end of last season. Sam Gallaway also plays there.
    After inheriting the side last season, van Egmond was always going to be judged on this campaign.
    Not overly fussed about topor leaving tbh
    Last edited by ToddG NBUnited; 23-06-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Mitchell gets chance for homecoming
    By JAMES GARDINER Sat, Jun 23 2012

NEW FACE: Josh Mitchell

JOSH Mitchell started training with the Newcastle Jets this week to shed some holiday kilograms.
    Now the 28-year-old Newcastle-born centre-back looms as a replacement for Nikolai Topor-Stanley.
    In a stunning development, Topor-Stanley was released from the final year of his contract yesterday and is expected to link with new A-League franchise West Sydney as early as Monday.
    Mitchell, who can play across the backline, has spent the past two seasons at Perth, playing 35 games, 27 as a starter.
    He was on the bench but did not get on in the Glory’s 2-1 grand final loss to Brisbane Roar.
    The Broadmeadow Magic junior played for Newcastle United in the old national soccer league when van Egmond was an assistant coach to Ian Crook.
    He spent four years in Romania before joining the Glory. A free agent, he has returned from a European holiday and been staying at his parents’ house in Caves Beach.
    What had been a chance to get in shape at the Jets is now a full-blown trial.
    Mitchell partnered Tiago in the heart of defence during a 30-minute intra-club game at training yesterday.
    Both he and Korean left back Lee Seung-yong are expected to start in the club’s first pre-season hit-out against Broadmeadow at Wanderers Oval on Wednesday.
    Topor-Stanley’s exit leaves Brazilian Tiago and youngsters Taylor Regan, Sam Gallaway and apprentice Connor Chapman as the recognised centre-backs on the Jets roster.
    The 27-year-old informed teammates of his move at the end of training yesterday, bringing an end to months of speculation.
    The Herald understands the defender was keen to see out his contract but saw the writing on the wall.
    Van Egmond, who brought Topor-Stanley to Newcastle on the eve of the Asian Champions League campaign in 2009, was unavailable for comment yesterday.
    He rejected claims last week that that Topor-Stanley and Tiago had been shopped around, but foreshadowed possible changes to the squad.
    ‘‘From our point of view we are committed to them,’’ he told the Herald. ‘‘From what they are showing in their application to training they are committed to us. But, again, you never know.’’
    In a statement yesterday, Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby thanked the 2010-11 player of the year for his contribution and wished him well for the future.
    “He is a good footballer and this is a wonderful opportunity for Nikolai to continue his career at another club,” Middleby said.
    When contacted yesterday Topor-Stanley declined to comment until his playing future had been finalised.
    West Sydney have a press conference scheduled on Monday at which they will announce club name, logo and the first round of player signings.
    Then Melbourne Victory coach Jim Magilton had shown interest in Topor-Stanley towards the end of last season but he is favoured to join former teammates Tarek Elrich and Labinot Haliti in western Sydney.
    The exit of Topor-Stanley combined with the release of Elrich, Haliti, Kasey Wehrman, Francis Jeffers, Ali Abbas, Byun Sung-hwan and Jeremy Brockie has freed up a big chunk of the Jets’ salary cap. Topor-Stanley is unlikely to be the last contracted player to go.
    Tiago and striker Marko Jesic have been linked to moves, and van Egmond has said they would treat every case on its merits.
    The Jets have up to five places to fill on the roster, including three visa players.
    Until now, James Brown (Gold Coast) and Scott Neville (Perth) are the club’s biggest signings. The rest are promising but unproven youngsters.
    if we can get him fairly cheap i wouldn't mind seeing another Newy boy back in the squad

Flores: My A-League Vow

EXCLUSIVE: Free agent Marcos Flores remains as passionate as ever about Australia and the A-League, saying he wants to give back to the game in this country.

In recent days Flores and his management came to a mutual decision over his contract with Chinese club Henan Jianye after the struggling CSL club’s defensive mindset didn’t suit the Argentine’s flair game.

Adelaide United still want to bring him back to Hindmarsh, although the club already has 22 contracted players for next season and thus only have one salary-capped spot left on the roster.

However that might still change if the Reds reshuffled their roster to accommodate Flores.

But while the Reds ponder, a number of other A-League clubs are said to be very interested in bringing back the 26-year-old star.

And Flores says he's ready to bring his own brand of magic to the A-League after his spell in China.

“I have a love for Australia. I really love the country. It is special to me,” he told au.fourfourtwo.com.

“The people I love so much and I hope I gave the A-League something special when I played there. I have a passion for football. It is in everything I do.

"It’s why I always stop and talk with the supporters and kids, it’s why I work with the Johnny Warren Foundation to help kids, it’s why I give everything on the park for the fans.”

There’s no doubt that Flores returning would be a massive boost to the A-League.

Like Thomas Broich, Flores arrived in the A-League as a relative unknown. He played 31 games for Adelaide, scoring nine goals but it was the manner of his play and his media-friendly persona that won Flores so many admirers across the country.

Flores would be ideal for new franchise representing the greater western Sydney region. His presence would boost interest to the Sydney derby for a club desperate to win over this heartland of football fans.

But Melbourne Victory, who recently offloaded playmaker Carlos Hernandez, may look to Flores as their version of Thomas Broich.

New Victory coach Ange Postecoglou plays the type of football Flores enjoys and it could be a perfect fit despite having just signed Brazilian midfielder Guilherme Finkler.

“Who knows the future?” added Flores.

“But If I come back to the A-League I hope to show the same passion on and off the park as I did last time when I won the best player award for A-League’s best.”

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/24377...eague-vow.aspx
    Sign him up Tinks, Flores feeding the Griff's would be like griffmas every weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Sign him up Tinks, Flores feeding the Griff's would be like griffmas every weekend!
    Agree. He would fit the mold perfectly, and would be a brilliant marquee player with little to no risk, as he's proven he's class at A-League level.

Kewell gone.
    Victory lose the chicken eater to India, and their other star to Indian chicken farmers.

Apparently his wife's mother is very ill so he's staying in England....
    Blackburn fans should be happy.

If Flores doesn't now end up at Victory, I'll be shocked.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 24-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Kewell gone.
    Victory lose the chicken eater to India, and their other star to Indian chicken farmers.

Apparently his wife's mother is very ill so he's staying in England....
    Blackburn fans should be happy.

If Flores doesn't now end up at Victory, I'll be shocked.
    Whats the chances of him signing for a lower division English club.

Lower than Blackburn?
    I've seen reports that link him and Neil to them.

Lucas neill to Blackburn? Surely not. They despise him don't they?

Wanderers take a stand in fight to establish team
    Sebastian Hassett
    June 25, 2012

Summer home ... Parramatta Stadium, traditionally the turf of league, will get a Wanderers makeover to accommodate the new team during the A-League season.. Photo: Wolter Peeters

MOVE over Mick Cronin, you're being bumped for Johnny Warren. And Ken Thornett? Step aside, Mark Bosnich is coming through.

That's how the A-League's newest club, the Western Sydney Wanderers, is planning to convert Parramatta Stadium from rugby league's sacred turf to football's newest base.

Just days after the AFL was revealed to have made a move on the home of rugby league, Birchgrove Oval, today Football Federation Australia will reveal how they plan to make their mark on another patch of traditional league territory.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

Almost all traces of the Parramatta Eels will be moved aside for the summer months so that the Wanderers - whose name, colours and first players will all formally be announced today - can make the stadium their own when they take up tenancy at the venue from October.

As part of that, they'll be renaming the stands for the A-League season. Warren will be honoured with one of the two main stands at the venue bearing his name, recognising not only his tireless efforts to promote the sport but that he began his career at Canterbury-Marrickville.

The other stand, and the Brett Kenny Hill and Peter Sterling Hill, will also be christened with new names by the football community. They could be chosen from any number of players who have contributed to the region, such as Paul Okon, Mark Schwarzer, Zeljko Kalac, Harry Kewell, Attila Abonyi, Peter Ollerton, Graham Arnold and Robbie Slater.

However, it's thought Bosnich, who played an active role in the development of the new club through the community fan forums, is a logical choice for a main stand.

An official close to the club insisted that while it would be standing its ground on the issue, it wasn't designed to inflame tensions with rugby league.

''With all due respect to the Eels, we plan on making this a football venue when they're not there and somewhere football people feel at home,'' he said. ''We're going to be a major tenant, an equal tenant, and they'll have to understand our desire that when we're playing there, we'll be putting our touch on the venue, even if that means covering up some blue and gold.

''I'm sure they won't have a problem with it and I'm sure the stadium trust will like the idea of the Wanderers doing all they can to attract people to Parramatta Stadium.''

Today's announcement will also confirm many of the long-held rumours about the make-up of the club. Their colours will officially be red, black and white and the club will sport a logo the FFA believes ''blends traditional football with a new look''.

While Parramatta Stadium will host the bulk of their home matches, including their debut as a club against Central Coast on October 6, the Wanderers will also visit Campbelltown Stadium and Penrith's Centrebet Stadium in coming years - and those venues are likely to host the club's W-League and youth league sides.

Young Socceroo Aaron Mooy, 21, will be the first player officially unveiled by the club tomorrow, along with two others, expected to be former Newcastle Jets captain Tarek Elrich and former Socceroo Ante Covic.

More signings are expected to be publicly announced in the subsequent days, with Mark Bridge, Shannon Cole, Labinot Haliti, Michael Beauchamp and Kwabena Appiah-Kubi all having agreed terms.

Recently released Jets defender Nikolai Topor-Stanley is also thought to be close to agreeing a deal.

However, the FFA won't free up the funds for the club to fill its two marquee positions, effectively ruling out a mooted move for ex-Adelaide sensation Marcos Flores.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league...#ixzz1ykgHdUPy
    Personally seems a little gimmicky and fake to just try and rename the stands during their season, each to their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by namwob99 View Post
    Lucas neill to Blackburn? Surely not. They despise him don't they?
    can confirm this is true. he said he would only leave for a bigger club and when he went to west ham (who finished below rovers that year) for the $$$$ instead of liverpool they were gutted.

we could do a lot worse with kewell in our side.

as long as steve kean is there kewell will probably play left back.

It wouldn't suprise me if HK stayed in England with Championship side who had ambitions of the Prem.

It would be interesting to see how he physically holds up. His A-League season was hardly arduous. Scheduling could brinig about recurrence of his old injuries.

But he needs that level to keep an eye on Brazil WC

So there is now no reason that the Andrew Johns Stand not become the Joel Griffiths Stand in the summer ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    It wouldn't suprise me if HK stayed in England with Championship side who had ambitions of the Prem.

It would be interesting to see how he physically holds up. His A-League season was hardly arduous. Scheduling could brinig about recurrence of his old injuries.
    But he needs that level to keep an eye on Brazil WC
    HK is gonna get the shit kicked out of him at Championship level if thats where he goes. Can't understand the logic of going back to English Football for an injury riddled player in the twilight of his career. As far as Brazil 2014 goes. If HK makes it to Brazil in any capacity other than a pundit or a tourist the FFA need shooting as their development programs in the last 10 years have failed that we are still relying on players of his age.

I would offer he would struggle to make a starting lineup in a Socceroos XI right now if all players were fit and available and the Manager wasn't picking players based on some type of tactical initiative

It's because of his missus Harry went to MV in the first place - we know who wears the pants there.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    love west sydney's badge.