Page 25 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

Football's flawed economy

02 Aug 2012 | 16:15-Craig Foster

The recent National Competitions Review recommendations had better work.

Instead of a cap on fees payable by youth players, there is to be a points system implemented to encourage home grown products. Time will tell what effect this has on the football economy because, to state the bleeding obvious, change is desperately needed.

Kids are being overcharged. Some academies are selling dreams for exorbitant fees - with some agents selling overseas trials to hopeful but misguided parents for upwards of five or six thousand dollars, which is an absolute disgrace. And the grab for dollars goes even deeper.

Recently, in Sydney, it came to my attention that some parents are paying large amounts of money to the club under the table for their child to play in elite teams.

In at least one instance that I'm aware of, someone has paid tens of thousands of dollars to a club to coach its elite youth team, despite not being qualified for the role.

These are two examples that reflect the flawed economy of junior football that is plaguing our game, as greedy clubs heap larger burdens on vulnerable parents.

It has to stop, because it is selling off the future to fund today.

If any club is so desperate to stay afloat that it is prepared to allow someone to pay his way into an elite youth team coaching position, rather than earn it the proper way, they are not only a disgrace to football for selling out the game, but are clearly in a financially parlous state.

It would be better for the game if that club closed its doors rather than prostitute the quality of environment and education being provided to our future generations of players. Anyone with knowledge of such a situation should immediately alert the association, state body and Football Federation Australia (FFA).

How can we call ourselves a game of high standards when a parent is being charged several thousand dollars his child's football development, only for the person in charge of that education to have gained the position by paying for it?

The opportunity to be able to shape the football development of a child or youth player is a gift that must be taken more seriously, for every mistake limits the chances of a boy or girl to make a career in the game. Selling such a position to the highest bidder goes against every principle of decency, integrity and value the game stands for.

Nor is 'opportunity' merely a term that can be used without understanding the ramifications for a child's life. In Outliers Malcolm Gladwell argues that being chosen in an elite program sets off a potentially virtuous cycle in a child's life and ultimately career.

The author calls this 'accumulative advantage', where the child enters a better learning environment with (hopefully) better coaches, facilities and a greater frequency of training.

This allows the chosen child to progress above those excluded, making them more likely to be selected the following years in better positions, creating a cycle that eventually raises the child's ability.

Unfortunately in our system, money is allowing mediocre performers to enter the system ahead of more talented children who can't afford to.

Every time we choose a development squad or first team at any age, we assume a responsibility that can make immense positive impact on a child's life. A child's future should never be for sale.

It is imperative that we train thousands more child educators for our grass roots clubs. To that end the cost of coaching courses must fall. That cost is ultimately passed on to the parents in one form or another and any parent entering the game is entitled to believe their child is being given the best possible chance to succeed.

The thought of someone without the skills, paying for the privilege of guiding talented kids, makes me sick to the core. Absolute filth, and a stain on the game. Both the payer, and payee.

By the same token, I am reliably informed that the practice of people paying for their children to be a part of these elite squads is alive and well.

Any club that sells a position in an elite youth squad should be shut down, the management prosecuted for destroying the integrity of the game and life bans handed around.

How many truly gifted talents are missing out because clubs are selling positions in elite squads to stay alive?

It is difficult to quantify the damaging effect on the future of our game when these deplorable practices are going on.

For those clubs and administrators who argue that they need to prostitute the heart of the game to keep their club alive, do all of us a favor by closing the doors and throw away the key. The game neither wants nor needs you.

You have not the first concept of what football is about.

Let’s ensure that we start promoting the best talents, charging them the least possible, ceasing the practice of passing on the cost of Premier League teams to the children below and work together to develop a system that is of higher quality, fairer and cheaper, for all.

Our future depends on it.

http://www.theworldgame.sbs.com.au/c...15018/Football
    Foster makes some good points, but fails to follow through, where's the naming of the club that's doing this, foster loves telling everyone else what to do but never applies the same standards to himself.

Newcastle nearly lost Griffiths

1 August 2012-SBS EXCLUSIVE: Philip Micallef

Dark days ... Jets striker Ryan Griffiths (Getty)

Newcastle striker Ryan Griffiths has revealed he was only hours away from quitting the club in the off-season when the Jets' future was up in the air.

Jets proprietor Nathan Tinkler caused a sensation in April when he gave up his A-League licence and as the club became involved in a bitter war of words with Football Federation Australia, grave fears arose that the 2008 A-League champion would be forced to fold.

It was the darkest period in the history of the proud Jets.

The standoff was only resolved when FFA chairman Frank Lowy persuaded Tinkler to reconsider his stance.

”It was not looking good at all and the prospect of Newcastle not having a team in the A-League was becoming very realistic,” Griffiths, 30, said.

”Which would have been an absolute tragedy because this is a passionate football city with a rich history and where the fans are like no others in the competition.

”I remember the club telling us players to go and look for other clubs and I started getting phone calls from my Chinese agents.

”But I refused to accept that the Jets would fold and I didn't want to go overseas anyway.

”Newcastle is where I feel at home and I also kept hoping that a solution to the crisis would be found.

”But when things were becoming just terrible I had no option but to get in touch with my agent so I could try to go overseas because the standoff was going on for far too long and I wasn't getting paid that much.

”But on the exact day that I spoke to my agent we got the news that the Jets were back in.”

Having survived those days of uncertainty, Griffiths and the rest of the squad are preparing intensely for the eighth A-League starting in October.

Yet coach Gary Van Egmond has yet to determine who will captain the side.

The man who led the club to its only championship in 2008 has tried a few options in the captain's role during trial matches and is expected to make a final decision shortly.

Griffiths said he would love to be captain in his second season with the club after a successful stint in Romania and China.

”It is not something I'm forcing upon anybody but I'd definitely take it if Gary chooses to go with me,” he said.

”It would be an incredible honour and I'd love to do it again after being captain for half of last season.

”But at the moment Jobe Wheelhouse is the captain and he's doing a good job and I'm sure that if he stays injury free this season he'll be our captain.

”So far in pre-season I've been captain once and so has Tiago Calvano but the most important thing is that we senior players stand up and it does not really matter who's captain.”

Griffiths said he was looking forward to another positive campaign after scoring nine goals in 27 matches in his debut season.

Most players tend to take time to adjust to a new championship particularly in a different country.

But Griffiths settled down very quickly and was one of the best players for the Jets who narrowly missed out on a spot in the finals.

”It was an easy transition because I have family here in Newcastle and I'm quite familiar with the team's style of play,” he said.

”I have worked with Gary as a junior as well so I know the kind of football he tries to play.”

Griffiths said he learnt a lot from his three-year stint in China, which followed a four-year experience in Romania.

”I took plenty out of my stay in China, which obviously has a different culture,” he explained.

”You learn to be patient as a player and a person.

”Everything is a lot different so you have to learn to relax and not let things get to you.

”On the playing side I found that the league here is very different. It's intense and a lot more physical and it took me a few games to adjust but after that I was okay.”

Griffiths has nothing but praise for the young players who have since joined the club and is loving every minute of the leadership role he and other senior players have been entrusted with.

”The young ones have stood up to the challenge and I'm really impressed with the way they are performing at training,” he said.

”You never really know where they're at until you play another A-League team but so far so good.

”I'm really enjoying the leadership side of things. The young players are all mature people and I don't have to tell them too many things off the field.

”They all seem to be very responsible and down-to-earth young men.

”When we are on the field it's different. They come up to me and ask me questions and I really like that role in the team.”

http://www.theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a...lost-Griffiths
    Glad we didn't lose him I'm hoping he has a great year this year, he needs better service to shine, really underrated player considering all the fuss over Brockie.

Fox Sports football commentator Simon Hill says Australian football needs to celebrate its past

By Simon Hill
    FOX SPORTS
    August 02, 2012 4:51PM

Legacy ... Simon Hill says Australia needs to celebrate its footballing past. Source: Carlos Furtado / AAP

The recent furore surrounding Western Sydney Wanderers alleged plan to "cover up" a statue of a Rugby League player for A-League games at Parramatta Stadium got me thinking.

In a country passionate about sport and keen to celebrate its heroes - where is football’s representation?

The answer - sadly - is, not in too many places. The sports most celebrated name, Johnny Warren, does have a plaque in his honour in the “Walk of Legends” outside the Sydney Cricket Ground, and a heritage plaque at Booralee Park in Botany where he played as a kid.

The ball kicked by John Aloisi to propel Australia to the World Cup in 2005 sits in a glass box on one of the concourses at ANZ Stadium - but there are no statues (as far as I can ascertain), and precious little of the games history is displayed publicly, or celebrated anywhere.

In the build-up to the Asian Cup in 2015 - the biggest football event ever to be held in Australia - surely its time for this to change?

Major football tournaments normally leave a legacy for the host country, and while in practical terms, there will be upgrades to stadia and training venues, it’s also an opportune moment to celebrate the rich (if sometimes chequered) history of the sport in this country.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Jamie Warren - nephew of Johnny - is keen to go a step further. He’d like the game to have a home. A home where a museum showcasing football's history can be permanently based.

“What would be great is to have a Bradman-type museum, but incorporate it into a high performance centre,” Warren said.

“We’ve got all of Johnny’s collection at the national museum in Canberra where it‘s in storage. It’s such a shame it’s not out on display somewhere.”

Ian Syson is a senior lecturer at Victoria University, who has done much valuable research into the games early days, and he agrees.So much so that he is currently writing a book entitled “The game that never happened - the vanishing history of soccer in Australia.”

Part of that history is Syson’s recent discovery that the first game of football played on these shores was in Goodna, Queensland in 1875. Perhaps fittingly (given the game's subsequent turmoil), the match was played on the grounds of the Woogaroo (now Goodna) Lunatic Asylum, between inmates and those from the travelling Brisbane Club - it ended in a 2-all draw.

An extract from “The Queenslander” on August 9, 1875, makes a clear reference to the ball not being “handled or carried” - a rule that apparently gave great advantage to the “bedlam folks!”

Syson believes the game's history has become swamped by myths - which has made the past a misunderstood place, bathed in negativity.

“A good example is the Anzac legend.” says Syson. “In Victoria, 450 out of 500 registered soccer players enlisted for World War One, and the same percentage stats applied across the country. By comparison, the supposedly more rugged codes failed to match that - VFL managed only around 15% of its players.”

“But today, the myth is retold that the other codes were central to the creation of the legend, whereas soccer and rugby union were not. It feeds the myth that soccer is marginal and un-Australian - it’s not.” Syson says.

But Syson also admits the game hasn’t taken best care of its own heritage either.

“We’ve been bad curators of our own history - a lot of clubs have been poor at keeping records. For every external pressure, there has been internal stupidity.” says Syson.

But with the game now a little more confident in its future, perhaps the Asian Cup offers the opportunity to revisit the past. Already there are encouraging signs that history is being embraced. FFA already has its Hall of Fame, while two of the body’s historical advisors, Roy Hay and Bill Murray, have just completed writing the games definitive history, entitled “A Game of Two Halves: A social history of football in Australia.”

Why not complement that work with a touring exhibition of footballs rich history in the major cities as part of the build-up to the Asian Cup?

“We’re guilty of not celebrating our past and not telling our story. If we don’t tell it, no-one is going to tell it for us.” says Jamie Warren.

It’s time people knew about that past - from Goodna to Guus. It would be a tangible legacy for the Asian Cup to leave on the 140th anniversary of that first-ever game. Maybe one day, we‘ll even have statues of our own heroes outside the sporting cathedrals of Australia.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football...-1226441638836
    Would love to see HSG take advantage of the asian cup and built a purpose built training centre for a national team and later for the HAL, NYL WL & Jets academy with a nice Hunter football Museum component built in, with some government coin chipping in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Would love to see HSG take advantage of the asian cup and built a purpose built training centre for a national team and later for the HAL, NYL WL & Jets academy with a nice Hunter football Museum component built in, with some government coin chipping in too.
    Tell him his dreaming.

Hmmm - might not be an idea for someone with money to come up with a genuine football museum, in Newcastle. No reason why it would have to be in Canberra or Sydney. We have the richest history and lay claim to names like Date, Baartz, Johnston and Griffo.

Would make an excellent tourist attraction and encourage more away fans to spend time in Newy on match weekend.

Foster makes some good points, but fails to follow through, where's the naming of the club that's doing this, foster loves telling everyone else what to do but never applies the same standards to himself.
    What is your beef with Foster, this thing has been going on for years. I fiorst heard it back in the days when Raul Blanco (for thsoe who can remember him) was coaching and he mentioned it was happening.

As Pico said, Foster makes some good points but I agree with Pico. If he has this information then out them. If what they are doing isn't illegal then they have nothing on SBS, if what they are doing is then he is effectively harbouring a criminal. Personally I doubt anyone is doing anything illegal, just immoral. If he can back up what he is saying then he should release it. He should also have gone to those clubs for comment directly and reported on that outcome.

All this "if you know of it then report it" is all well and good when he is saying "I know of it but I haven't reported it, nor even letting out who it is" is pretty weak form if you ask me.

Regan thrilled to be local boy made good

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...px?storypage=2
    2038747.jpg
    THE first time Taylor Regan walked off Redhead’s Liles Oval he was angry with his father and first football coach Brian ‘‘Reggie’’ Regan.
    Sons do not always like the lessons taught by their fathers.
    But obviously Reggie knew what he was talking about, as yesterday his son returned to his junior ground to receive the inaugural Ray Baartz Medal as the Men of Football’s Jets player of the year.
    When asked about his memories of playing in the under 11s for Dudley-Redhead United, Regan said: ‘‘Mostly just my father coaching me from a young age and coming in after every training session at night and mum would have to set out two different dinner tables because I refused to eat in the same room as my father because I hated my coach.
    ‘‘They were my first memories of playing. It was always about having fun, but we had a talented team made up of surfers and the like.’’
    The central defender was initially announced as the Ray Baartz medallist in April, during the height of Jets owner Nathan Tinkler’s dispute with Football Federation Australia over the club’s A-League franchise.
    Regan did not receive the medal at that time due to delays in getting it engraved.
    Regan polled one more vote than striker Jeremy Brockie, who has since joined Wellington Phoenix, to claim the award in front of about 100 people at the Exchange Hotel in Hamilton.
    Men of Football is a charity organisation formed by ex-players and fans to help people in the soccer community.
    The group is modelled on the successful Men of League organisation and began in Newcastle two years ago.
    ‘‘When I was young I grew up watching a lot of these players who vote on the award and obviously being a local boy it means that little bit extra,’’ Regan said.
    ‘‘I went to a function the other week and I think there was close to 200 Men of Football gentlemen there from throughout the region, and it was good to see them all and they’re very passionate about the Jets.’’ AAP reports: Reece Caira has given up a spot in the reserves of a 138-year-old English Premier League club to join an A-League side founded barely four months ago.

But the 19-year-old is excited about his return to Australia and being among Western Sydney Wanderers’ first signings.
    ‘‘It’s great that I get to become a foundation player but it’s going to be a tough first season,’’ Caira said.
    The defender has secured a one-year contract with the new A-League franchise, after spending the past 3 years in Aston Villa’s youth squad and reserves.
    He caught the attention of Wanderers’ coach Tony Popovic during a recent trip to England and has been on trial since.‘‘I’ve always been interested to work with Popovic and I’ve finally got the chance,’’ Caira said.
    Last edited by Hamma12; 03-08-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by De-Champ View Post
    What is your beef with Foster, this thing has been going on for years. I fiorst heard it back in the days when Raul Blanco (for thsoe who can remember him) was coaching and he mentioned it was happening.
    No beef what so ever, but if your going to tell everyone else to name and shame, and you've just written an article where you claim to know of the club's, why aren't you practising what you preach.

Pico, what makes you think that Foster hasn't reported this to NSWFF or FFA?

My assumption was that he had, and simply avoided naming them publicly for legal/ethical reasons.

Fox Sports football commentator Simon Hill says Australian football needs to celebrate its past

By Simon Hill
    FOX SPORTS
    August 02, 2012 4:51PM

Legacy ... Simon Hill says Australia needs to celebrate its footballing past. Source: Carlos Furtado / AAP

The recent furore surrounding Western Sydney Wanderers alleged plan to "cover up" a statue of a Rugby League player for A-League games at Parramatta Stadium got me thinking.

In a country passionate about sport and keen to celebrate its heroes - where is football’s representation?

The answer - sadly - is, not in too many places. The sports most celebrated name, Johnny Warren, does have a plaque in his honour in the “Walk of Legends” outside the Sydney Cricket Ground, and a heritage plaque at Booralee Park in Botany where he played as a kid.

The ball kicked by John Aloisi to propel Australia to the World Cup in 2005 sits in a glass box on one of the concourses at ANZ Stadium - but there are no statues (as far as I can ascertain), and precious little of the games history is displayed publicly, or celebrated anywhere.

In the build-up to the Asian Cup in 2015 - the biggest football event ever to be held in Australia - surely its time for this to change?

Major football tournaments normally leave a legacy for the host country, and while in practical terms, there will be upgrades to stadia and training venues, it’s also an opportune moment to celebrate the rich (if sometimes chequered) history of the sport in this country.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Jamie Warren - nephew of Johnny - is keen to go a step further. He’d like the game to have a home. A home where a museum showcasing football's history can be permanently based.

“What would be great is to have a Bradman-type museum, but incorporate it into a high performance centre,” Warren said.

“We’ve got all of Johnny’s collection at the national museum in Canberra where it‘s in storage. It’s such a shame it’s not out on display somewhere.”

Ian Syson is a senior lecturer at Victoria University, who has done much valuable research into the games early days, and he agrees.So much so that he is currently writing a book entitled “The game that never happened - the vanishing history of soccer in Australia.”

Part of that history is Syson’s recent discovery that the first game of football played on these shores was in Goodna, Queensland in 1875. Perhaps fittingly (given the game's subsequent turmoil), the match was played on the grounds of the Woogaroo (now Goodna) Lunatic Asylum, between inmates and those from the travelling Brisbane Club - it ended in a 2-all draw.

An extract from “The Queenslander” on August 9, 1875, makes a clear reference to the ball not being “handled or carried” - a rule that apparently gave great advantage to the “bedlam folks!”

Syson believes the game's history has become swamped by myths - which has made the past a misunderstood place, bathed in negativity.

“A good example is the Anzac legend.” says Syson. “In Victoria, 450 out of 500 registered soccer players enlisted for World War One, and the same percentage stats applied across the country. By comparison, the supposedly more rugged codes failed to match that - VFL managed only around 15% of its players.”

“But today, the myth is retold that the other codes were central to the creation of the legend, whereas soccer and rugby union were not. It feeds the myth that soccer is marginal and un-Australian - it’s not.” Syson says.

But Syson also admits the game hasn’t taken best care of its own heritage either.“We’ve been bad curators of our own history - a lot of clubs have been poor at keeping records. For every external pressure, there has been internal stupidity.” says Syson.

But with the game now a little more confident in its future, perhaps the Asian Cup offers the opportunity to revisit the past. Already there are encouraging signs that history is being embraced. FFA already has its Hall of Fame, while two of the body’s historical advisors, Roy Hay and Bill Murray, have just completed writing the games definitive history, entitled “A Game of Two Halves: A social history of football in Australia.”

Why not complement that work with a touring exhibition of footballs rich history in the major cities as part of the build-up to the Asian Cup?

“We’re guilty of not celebrating our past and not telling our story. If we don’t tell it, no-one is going to tell it for us.” says Jamie Warren.

It’s time people knew about that past - from Goodna to Guus. It would be a tangible legacy for the Asian Cup to leave on the 140th anniversary of that first-ever game. Maybe one day, we‘ll even have statues of our own heroes outside the sporting cathedrals of Australia.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football...-1226441638836
    As a side note to this article, I was taken out to dinner by Andre Krueger in Hannover in 2008 when I visited there. He has many, many priceless pieces of Australian football heritage in his possession; much of it was on display in the Oehrinngen Sparbank during the Socceroos stay in that town. For anyone who made the trip there, they will remember.
    We had a long discussion about our respective collections. What deeply concerned him was this:
    When he was here in 2005, he told me he kept asking various people about the where abouts of certain paraphanalia he knew was in Soccer Australia/ FFA's possession; flags, pennants, balls etc.
    Many of the items? Goneski. Nobody could provide him with any answers.
    He has absolutly no trust in the people running things here to trust them with any sort of handover, unless they get a proper museum set up.
    I hope to view this collection in person next visit to Hannover. The invitation was made that last trip.

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Pico, what makes you think that Foster hasn't reported this to NSWFF or FFA?

My assumption was that he had, and simply avoided naming them publicly for legal/ethical reasons.
    My point is more that he talks about parents paying expensive fees for elite training that is supplied by people who have paid their way into the position, well how are the parents supposed to make an informed decision if the people who know don't open their mouths.

Who's worse the bloke ripping people off, or the bloke who says he knows all about it and who the people are that are doing it, yet says nothing about it.

Hopefully with the NCR and the accreditation process this might help make things a bit more transparent for parents.

I can see what you're saying, but I just think you're reaching too many conclusions without knowing all the facts of the situation.

Again, a reasonable explanation might be that the FFA have already suspended these people from being in positions where they can rip people off. Another might be that it was already being investigated, and Foster found out about it during the process of that investigation. We have no idea about the circumstances behind this, but either way naming people in such a public fashion would be very inappropriate if the claims are not yet proven or ruled on by the relevant bodies.

Sydney Olympic exemplify bigger battle

August 4, 2012

A FRAGILE truce has broken out at Belmore, but don't be fooled. The core issues surrounding the dispute between Canterbury Bulldogs and Sydney Olympic haven't gone away. And the much bigger battle - a long-awaited campaign by football to protect its rights in the turf war with other codes - has only just begun. It just might be that history will record what's happened at Belmore over the last few weeks as the moment the worm finally turned.

The detail of the dispute between the Bulldogs and Sydney Olympic - who should be using the field and when - is mostly a smokescreen for a much more fundamental question. Exactly what were the terms of the $8.7 million government grant handed out in 2010 to begin the process of revitalising a decaying stadium, and were those terms supposed to have both clubs treated equally?

The view of Canterbury council is clear. It has offered the rugby league side a head lease, and the football side a sublease. Sydney Olympic might not be the club it once was - the two-time national champions now play in the semi-professional NSW Premier League - but might is not always right. Sydney Olympic believe they have a lease until 2032 that gives them rights equal to the Bulldogs', and they won't be signing anything to the contrary. Thus the stalemate persists.

It was the local federal MP Tony Burke (member for Watson) who handed over the cheque in front of the cameras two years ago, and he knows better than anyone the substance, and spirit, of the agreement. Burke met both clubs and Canterbury council on Thursday. There seems to be a consensus to ramp down the rhetoric to try to take the sting out of the situation. We'll see how long it lasts. The fact Des Hasler had his team again training on the main field yesterday suggests he couldn't care less.
    Advertisement

As an avowed Bulldogs fan, Burke's impartiality will be scrutinised. There are three local football associations in the district - Canterbury, Bankstown and St George - with about 20,000 registered players in Burke's electorate. It might be a safe Labor seat, but that's still a lot of voter angst to be mobilised through social media if the football community feels it's being shafted. Those associations, in particular Canterbury, must ponder whether they should bury their differences with the NSWPL club in order to achieve the common good. Sydney Olympic's plight today could be someone else's tomorrow. Football in Sydney at every level faces a massive challenge in the battle for sporting real estate (see above story).

For Sydney Olympic right now it's about showing discipline, and unity - qualities not normally associated with the club through its tortured 51-year history. The board will meet tomorrow, and the test has only just begun for president George Giannaros and his fellow directors. Make no mistake, this is about survival. Full stop. If Sydney Olympic can't secure a meaningful long-term future for themselves at Belmore, they're gone. There's a lapsed Sydney Olympic fan running every second cafe in the inner-west. How much do they care?

A historical note: while Belmore is the spiritual home of the Bulldogs, Sydney Olympic also have a title claim. The club moved there in 1996 for five seasons - pulling almost 14,000 to a match against Marconi Stallions in 1997 - and after a brief diversion to Shark Park returned in 2004, and have been there ever since. Last year they pulled 10,000 to the NSWPL grand final when the ground, shamefully, was marked for rugby league. When the Bulldogs completely abandoned Belmore eight years ago - who can forget ''Oasis'' - it was Sydney Olympic who kept the gates open. Now that the Bulldogs are back, should Sydney Olympic's 13-year tenancy count for nought?

It didn't, of course, when the Bulldogs needed them a few years ago to get money from the federal government. Plenty of nice noises were made about co-operation. The facade didn't last long once the money came through.

In a letter to Canterbury council's general manager, Jim Montague, in December 2010 - less than six months after the funding was approved - Football Federation Australia's chief executive Ben Buckley was sufficiently disturbed about what was happening to write: ''… it appears that what is currently being proposed is not consistent with the basis upon which the federal government grant was approved. It is also of great concern that it appears that the current proposed use will be converting an essential public facility into virtually an exclusive use facility for a professional rugby league club. This is contrary both to its historical use and to the proposed use as represented in the Commonwealth funding grant … it is disturbing to learn that the use being proposed significantly increases the use for the Bulldogs rugby league club and, conversely, significantly reduces the access for not only Sydney Olympic, but also for community and school groups.''

Since then, the Bulldogs and the council have essentially ignored the FFA's concerns, perhaps assuming their back was turned. It's not. Yesterday Buckley told the Herald: ''We took a close interest in this matter in late 2010 when Sydney Olympic's tenure was under threat, and we welcomed the outcome of a 21-year lease to enshrine football access. We are now watching the current developments and liaising with Football NSW. We both have real concerns. Our view is that the Commonwealth funding for Belmore Oval was based on a community benefit for multiple sports, not just one.''

In the scheme of things, it might seem a stoush between an NRL heavyweight with a budget of about $17 million and a semi-pro football club with a budget of about $300,000 could have only one winner. And does it really matter anyway? It does.

The FFA (and its predecessors) have sat idly by over decades while the nation's biggest participant sport has been routinely duped by a cosy alliance between rival codes and their government boosters. In terms of facilities and ground use, football, at every level - from grassroots to professional - has been left with the scraps. Sydney Olympic are somewhere in the middle, but fate means they can become the catalyst for change. It's a challenge, but they're up for it. And, for once, so is the FFA.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football...803-23kso.html
    Good to see the FFA & Buckley being proactive about this, better then waiting for the media to get a hold of it and then coming in when it's too late.

Numbers back need for more facilities

If Australia had managed to win hosting rights for the 2022 World Cup, Football Federation Australia hoped it would have the platform to address decades of neglect of football facilities across the country, from grassroots to the A-League.

Australia didn't win, so we'll never know if the government would have gone on a spending spree. But if you're wondering why the Sydney Olympic issue is the tip of the iceberg, consider the results of a national facilities audit conducted by the FFA in 2010 as part of the bid process. It paints a bleak picture of how poorly the nation's biggest participant sport is served - especially in Sydney, where playing numbers make up almost half the national total.

The recent success of amateur club Balmain in a cross-code battle for the use of Birchgrove Oval - where registration numbers became their key weapon - is perhaps a template to be used across the city.

In Sydney, the audit covered 576 venues, incorporating 1477 pitches used to service 700 clubs and more than 200,000 players. The most staggering statistic was that in Sydney, demand equated to 140 players for each pitch. Not surprisingly, under such pressure, the quality of the grounds was found to be seriously wanting.
    Advertisement

The audit also revealed that football suffers from the double whammy of not enough facilities and too many poor ones. As a result, the FFA identified 575 potential projects across the country, including Belmore. Since then, 153 projects have been given priority, but many have yet to progress past the planning or funding stage.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football...803-23ksl.html
    Wonder what sort of impact the Asian Cup will have on facilities, no where near as big as a world cup, but if they are smart HAL teams will try and leverage the government coin for some simple training venues, thinking along the lines of No. 2 scale.

Football needs to start playing the game more, unfortunately I think with no games in Newcastle we'll probably miss out again, the gypos will probably cash in with their CoE.

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    I can see what you're saying, but I just think you're reaching too many conclusions without knowing all the facts of the situation.

Again, a reasonable explanation might be that the FFA have already suspended these people from being in positions where they can rip people off. Another might be that it was already being investigated, and Foster found out about it during the process of that investigation. We have no idea about the circumstances behind this, but either way naming people in such a public fashion would be very inappropriate if the claims are not yet proven or ruled on by the relevant bodies.
    I understand what your saying, I'd hate to see a club's reputation smeared because of inaccurate claims, but he's already gone half way there with the mentioning of premier league clubs, what if you were one of the honest bunch who is now clouded in the same stench as the rotten mob because he's only vaguely eluded to them, if you want to blow the whistle in the media, then go the whole way, if you want to work behind the scenes then so be it. Its been going on for years, if something doesn't change to make people more aware and to rid the game of these con men, then it how will it ever change.

My point is more that he talks about parents paying expensive fees for elite training that is supplied by people who have paid their way into the position, well how are the parents supposed to make an informed decision if the people who know don't open their mouths.

Who's worse the bloke ripping people off, or the bloke who says he knows all about it and who the people are that are doing it, yet says nothing about it.

Hopefully with the NCR and the accreditation process this might help make things a bit more transparent for parents.
    My personal experience has been that if you are good enough coaches and clubs will be fighting each other to provide a talented kid with elite training.
    That this apparently does not happen in football suprises me.

My background is in tennis and I used to hear the same stories and more often than not it is was parents with kids of inferior abilities whining about the costs of "elite training".

The kids who were good all had raquet and shoe deals before they turned twelve and had coaches / clubs offering them their services free.

If that's not the case wirth football I'd be suprised. Did Maradonna or Pele have to pay for elite training ? I doubt it.

Hence, if a kid is being told he or she needs to pay for elite training then they probably aren't good enough.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-08-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Maradona and pele aren't Australian juniors

So ooze this midfielder? Algerian?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Maradona and pele aren't Australian juniors
    Viduka, Kewell, Aloisi, Langarak, Grella..... and so on.

The kids whose parents shell out the big dollars are basically trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Admittedly, though, some parents can buy their kids a start if they have deep enough pockets.

Sometimes they can make the grade, but often they just fade away.