Page 46 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    To be fair from memory didn't he invest a lot of time and money in youth development and skills schools in the UK back in the day.
    I'd say that would give him some cred in this.
    He may well have had some experience in that aspect but people profiting from the development of yoof is widespread enough anyway.

This Football HQ is meant to be the local arm of the FFA developing the Yoof. Shouldn't we be sticking to our FFA Curriculum/Ideals that the FFA have been employing Hans Berger to implement??

If Craig Johnstone wishes to set up a Soccer school thing in Newy nothing is stopping him. Probably would have been better done 20-25 years ago when his profile had more credibility locally

Fair point, I just don't see how people immediately saw it as a cash grab from the bloke.

Because its typical in this town
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Just my perception of him.
    So just preconceived opinions of the bloke and assumptions jumped to when he mentioned some of the training methods he developed.

Glad I didn't miss anything in the article then.

Is it hard thinking the worst of people all the time? (and yes, that's a serious question, with zero sarcasm... I'm currently reading/working through Covey's 7 habits and am seeking first to understand)
    Last edited by GazFish35; 15-09-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    . I personal think the bloke is a inspiration for what he has achieved in football but knowing him on a personal level, he can be a pig of a man at times.
    basically what I was thinking

as I assumed, and said, Liverpool fans would take huge offense to anything but "johnno oooooomg fap"
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I personal think the bloke is a inspiration for what he has achieved in football but knowing him on a personal level, he can be a pig of a man at times.
    99.9% of people that ever get anywhere in life have to have a bit of c**t in them. Unfortunately that's how we separate the wheat from the chaff.
    he could be the biggest knob in the world, but if he can help develop the next generation of stars then get him on board.
    Love the bloke, he was Griff before Griff was Griff.

Yeah I said it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    So just preconceived opinions of the bloke and assumptions jumped to when he mentioned some of the training methods he developed.

Glad I didn't miss anything in the article then.

Is it hard thinking the worst of people all the time? (and yes, that's a serious question, with zero sarcasm... I'm currently reading/working through Covey's 7 habits and am seeking first to understand)
    Not really being a cynical bastard is quite easy.

Mr Fish you have to realise that people see things differently from you. You read said article and come to one conclusion I will come to another.

Same with today's game some may feel that it was only a trial and means stuff all. Others would have been pretty unimpressed with proceedings.

That's people. Different perspectives

really...ffs...I like craig and all he's achieved
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Mr Fish you have to realise that people see things differently from you. You read said article and come to one conclusion I will come to another.
    Hence why I asked you to clarify what you had said, so I could understand your point of view better.

You might best take some of your own advice.
    I get the feeling that if someone asks you to clarify your views you take it as a personal attack.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 16-09-2012 at 09:23 AM.

3D grids are useless for teaching blokes how to run up sand dunes with a tyre strapped to their backs, clearly johnno is out of touch with strayan sokkah

ratko crnic in
    johnno out
    deans out

Sydney joins the fight to host EPL super club Manchester United
    Phil Rothfield
    The Sunday Telegraph
    September 16, 2012 12:00AM

Manchester United star Wayne Rooney could be headed to Sydney. Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE world's greatest soccer team, Manchester United, could be heading to Australia in July.

Three cities - Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane - and five stadiums - the MCG, Etihad, ANZ, SFS and Suncorp - are locked in a bidding war to host the Premier League superstars.

A senior executive from Manchester United was in Australia for talks last week.

Alex Ferguson and champion players such as Wayne Rooney and Robin Van Persie would all make the trip.

And it's possible they would be playing against Italian legend Alessandro Del Piero in an A-League All Stars team.

A Manchester United executive last week met FFA executives, government ministers and stadium officials in Sydney.

The club has decided it will tour for four matches in July in preparation for the Premier League kick-off.

Ferguson wants four games - two in Asia and two in Australia.

The games would each attract more than $12 million in revenue from ticket sales, sponsorship, merchandise, TV rights and money from the stadiums and the state governments. The NSW, Victorian and Queensland governments are all desperate to cash in on the opportunity to boost tourism.

A Red Devils tour would provide the code's new boss David Gallop with a massive boost on the back of Sydney FC's recent signing of Del Piero.

"The tour would leave a long-lasting legacy for the development of football in this country," said one senior official.

Further talks on the tour will take place over the next few weeks.

"In terms of squad strength, clearly the absence of a major international tournament next year will mean we would be bringing a very strong squad. Barring injuries, we would expect all the leading players to be there," United's director of communications Phil Townsend said.

Sports-loving NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell is certain to go hard for the event, knowing the Victorians already have a monopoly on major sport in this country with the Melbourne Cup, Australian Open tennis, the AFL grand final, the Boxing Day Test and the grand prix.

Tickets would range from $100 to $300.

INCOMING FFA boss David Gallop may not have his feet under the desk in Oxford St yet, but he is already immersing himself in his new code. He spent time at AC Milan headquarters in Italy during the week, and he watched West Bromwich Albion take on Mark Schwarzer’s Fulham last night in London.
    Not a fan of all stars games and can't see the FFA missing a chance to throw Del Peiro against ManU

While Sydney coach Ian Crook will be at pains not to risk his star import in the pre-season, he will be pushing for Del Piero to have at least some role in this Saturday's friendly match against the Jets.

The match is presently scheduled to be played in Budgewoi as a closed-doors affair, but the decision is Newcastle's as to whether the game can be moved and opened for the public. It cannot be transferred to Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford as had been earlier speculated as the turf there is being replaced.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football...#ixzz26flMggkQ
    Still don't understand why this is not in NNSW somewhere & whats with the Gypos re-turfing bluetongue, seems like they do it every year.

Jets strikepower hamstrung by injuries
    Sept. 16, 2012, 9:21 p.m.

RYAN GRIFFITHS

THE Newcastle Jets' search for a striker has moved from a crucial to a critical stage.

With less than three weeks to the A-League season opener against Adelaide United at Hunter Stadium, the Jets have lost two of their main strike weapons to injuries and are yet to secure the signature of a much anticipated front man from overseas.

Ryan Griffiths will have scans today on a hamstring injury he sustained in the 1-all draw with Western Sydney Wanderers at Wanderers Oval on Saturday.

The early signs were not good. Griffiths, last season's equal leading goal-scorer with nine, collapsed to the ground clutching at his left leg. He was unable to continue, leaving the Jets, who had used their three substitutes, to play the final eight minutes with 10 men.

The 31-year-old had grabbed at the same leg earlier in the second half.

James Brown, who was likely to play on the left of Griffiths in a front three, is booked for surgery tomorrow to have a bone spur removed in his ankle and is unlikely to be available until at least round three.

By that point it would have been more than two months since his last game, the controversial 3-1 win over Wellington in Weston on August 18.

Adam Taggart has returned from Young Socceroo duties in Vietnam. James Virgili was outstanding on the right against Wanderers.

But between them they have 24 A-League appearances and three goals.

Marko Jesic came off the bench on Saturday but has not scored an A-League goal in more than a year.

Veteran Michael Bridges is still gaining full fitness after a hamstring injury and is considered more of an impact player. Brazilian Bernardo Ribeiro produced some nice touches in his first start on Saturday but looks more a creator than finisher.

The Jets have been in talks with a Brazilian striker, and the Herald understands that former fan favourite Joel Griffiths is back in the frame.

It was reported yesterday that 34-year-old former England striker Emile Heskey has knocked back an offer to join the Jets.

The Jets coaching staff were not available to speak to the Herald on Saturday, but in the past week Gary van Egmond and assistant Craig Deans have said they need to be "more clinical" and have a "cutting edge" in the final third.

A large percentage of the Jets' goals in recent weeks have come from deeper.

Defender Scott Neville produced a cracking shot from 20 metres to put the Jets ahead after seven minutes against Wanderers.

Midfielder Ruben Zadkovich curled in a free kick from just outside the box in the 1-all draw with Sydney FC.

Griffiths was on the spot to slot home a flick from Marko Jesic in the 1-0 win over Brisbane Roar in Tamworth.

Left back Craig Goodwin scored a brace and Jesic added the third in the 3-1 triumph over an eight-man Wellington side.

Goodwin was used in a more advanced role against Wanderers.

He was again dangerous and combined well with Ribeiro.

Most of the Jets' thrust, especially in the first half, came down the right.

Virgili used his pace to burn a path past former Jet Adam D'Apuzzo.

He sprayed a shot over the bar in the 20th minute.

Five minutes later he beat D'Apuzzo again and delivered a cross to the back post.

Goodwin got in front of his defender but could not get a touch.

Two minutes before the break Virgili made a slalom run into the penalty area and was felled, but appeals for a penalty were denied.

Playing with a strong wind at their back, the Jets dominated the first half.

They were first to the ball, pressured the visitors in defence and caused havoc down both flanks.

Mark Bridge, one of five former Jets at the Wanderers, had the visitors' first shot on goal in the 43rd minute, a crisp volley which was easily held by Mark Birighitti.

Jobe Wheelhouse did not return after the break and the sting disappeared out of the Jets' game.

Mateo Poljak started to have more influence in midfield for the visitors, which enabled Dino Kresinger to get into the game.

The Croatian striker equalised in the 61st minute when he muscled his way past the defence and headed a D'Apuzzo cross into the right corner.

Both sides had chances at a winner.

Jets defender Josh Mitchell lifted a snap shot over the bar from close range, Goodwin had a goal-bound attempt tipped over and substitute Mitch Oxborrow pulled a low drive to the right.

Substitute Shannon Cole had Wanderers' best chance when a corner fell to his feet, but he could not beat Birighitti from point-blank range.

The match erupted in the dying moments when Cole reacted to a late tackle from Neville. Former Jet Nikolai Topor-Stanley raced 30 metres to join in, but referee Ben Williams quickly regained control. All three were issued yellow cards.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/33...juries/?cs=306
    Bridges or Jesic up front in our starting team, scary stuff for round 1 get well soon Ryu.

I would sooner try Taggart now than use Jesic who just has nothing anymore. He will sit tight for the rest of the season, then join his mates at WSW.

It is looking like we have a slow start without Griff and Brown, the two real class acts at the Jets.

And we are leaving it too late to get a striker who will slot straight in.

Also...

Emile Heskey has rejected a move to Australia's A-League after spurning the chance to join Newcastle Jets.
    http://www.teamtalk.com/papertalk/80...on-double-raid

Heard a rumour at the ground before the game that Heskey would be announced as a signing today - this is all I could find on it, obviously happy with the pies in England !
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 17-09-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I would sooner try Taggart now than use Jesic who just has nothing anymore. He will sit tight for the rest of the season, then join his mates at WSW.

It is looking like we have a slow start without Griff and Brown, the two real class acts at the Jets.

And we are leaving it too late to get a striker who will slot straight in.
    Yep, same old Jerks. We just seem to keep to stumbling from one debacle to another.

As for Emile Heskey...rof.

very lol that this was the exact scenario predicted from the peanut gallery of the foz

deans to blame for sure

I've got mixed feelings about Saturday's performance. On the one hand, there was a lot of pace and movement and a good goal, on the other, the pace and movement didn't really break up the defence or create enough clear cut scoring opportunities. Certainly not a Brisbane like performance. Early days though for the new squad.

Bernado was a bit hit and miss. Some of his touches were good, some of them were poor. A lot of his passes went to noone which was not the impression I got from watching his Youtube vid where he seemed to make his decisions quick and had a good and accurate passing range. However, it was just one game and I'm hopeful he'll come good, especially if the Jets can create more space in the front third.

And...We need a striker. There is just no question about it.

Heskey?

Wut.

heskey ffs

hitzlsperger will be next
    OK

I really hope that Heskey is the Jets' answer to Del Piero. These players are in the same league. He would have marquee impact.

That's the tough thing about marquees. A lesser name is worse than no name at all. It even looks promising on paper when you look at it from a pure football perspective.

Joel Griffiths will also have a lot of impact on fans when he returns and would score as many goals.
    Last edited by hauss; 19-09-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: to support our new player