Page 73 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2018

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    FFS we are still trying to work out how to rid ourselves of Deans and this **** wants to come back
    Lmfao

I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Defence should read...
    Ljubo Tiago. In either formation. Opposition attacks would stall at the halfway in fear.

Jets getting awesome exposure in the UK!

Win a signed Emile Heskey shirt with Dream Team

MEMORIES ... Heksey's goalscoring form has had us reminiscing

FOR the first time in 16 seasons we launched our a Premier League Dream Team game without Emile Heskey on the player list.

It’s not the same without him, it will never be. But perhaps we have something special to help heal the wounds of his absence.

With the big man now banging goals in for fun Down Under, Dream Team got in contact with his new club Newcastle Jets, and our Australian friends have kindly supplied us with a signed Heskey shirt to give away to a lucky Dream Team follower.

It could be yours. All you have to do is tweet us at @dreamteamfc with your favourite Heskey memory (if you can limit them all to just one), using the hashtag #heskeymemories, and we will pick our favourite.

The competition ends the next time Heskey scores for Newcastle Jets.

They face Western Sydney Wanders FC away from home on Nov 10, so get your enries in quick, because in this form, it won't be long before he bags another one.

Harry Kewell to meet with Perth Glory over possible move to West Australian club

Braden Quartermaine
    PerthNow
    November 07, 2012 1:24PM

Harry Kewell rubbed shoulders with Sydney FC star Alessandro Del Piero at the Melbourne Cup, but it was a chance meeting with the Perth Glory hierarchy that set tongues wagging. Source: Supplied

HARRY Kewell will meet with Perth Glory coach Ian Ferguson and CEO Paul Kelly tomorrow for discussions over a possible move to WA to reignite his stalled career with the A-League club.

Kewell had a chance meeting with Glory owner Tony Sage at yesterday's Melbourne Cup meeting at Flemington and the Socceroos star will travel to WA for a charity golf event this weekend.

The former Leeds, Liverpool and Galatasaray attacker returned to Australia to play for Melbourne Victory last season but took up the option of terminating his contract after one year to return to England when his mother-in-law became ill.

Despite training with several clubs in the UK, the 34-year-old is yet to find a new team and his dream of appearing at a third World Cup in Brazil in 2014 is fading fast.

Despite Glory having already filled its squad for season 2012/13, Sage said club officials would hold talks with Kewell.

"I met him yesterday. It was just a chance meeting and it was not planned and I asked him what his future was,'' Sage told 6PR.

"He said he was looking for a club. Our list is full at the moment, so that is the only small impediment. But I'm sure the FFA may do something given the concessions they gave to Emile Heskey and (Alessandro) Del Piero.

"Money's not an issue. He said at this time of his career he's made a lot of money out of football and the money issue won't be a problem.

"The comment to me exactly was "Tony I'm interested in playing football, I want to play for Australia again and the only way I'm going to do it is to play.''

The talks are likely to canvass the option of a short-term guest stint.

Glory's ability to offset Kewell's wage is heavily compromised this season because of the reduced capacity at nib Stadium due to construction work.
    I may be wrong here but last time I checked all the FFA did was invest marketing money to help get both signings. Neither club was given extra visa places or allowed to increase their squad size over the squad cap.

I'm all for the FFA co-investing in real marquee's that will be good for media exposure for the league and club and help crowds around the league, but letting clubs go around and sign up all the visa spots, & fill the squad positions up with the local talent, then have them turn around and say well you helped them over there just let us have an extra player seems a bit rich.

Adelaide United eyes 'super marquee' player

Jai Bednall
    The Advertiser
    November 08, 2012 12:00AM

[IMG]http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/11/07/1226512/***025-alessandro-del-piero.jpg[/IMG]

Adelaide United is considering chasing a marquee player like Sydney FC's Alessandro del Piero. Picture: Brett Costello. Source: The Daily Telegraph

ADELAIDE United will consider bringing in its own "super marquee" player after witnessing the early success of Alessandro Del Piero and Emile Heskey.

Reds chairman Greg Griffin has been following the impact of the Italian legend and English striker at Sydney FC and Newcastle and said his club could go down a similar path next season.

"I think every club has to consider it now," Griffin said.

"What you don't want to be is the only club without the drawing power that the others have. I know that everyone else is looking ...

"Maybe we all have to bite the bullet - every club in conjunction with the FFA through some sort of incentive process - and get the super marquee."

Del Piero and Heskey have lifted the profile of the A-League to new heights this season, increasing crowd numbers and breaking television audience records.

The former Juventus forward and Liverpool frontman have also made important contributions on the pitch, scoring three goals each in the first month of the season.

"I think it's outstanding what Sydney and Newcastle have done," Griffin said.

"Del Piero has been a great acquisition and Heskey has been a great acquisition. And it's forced us all into thinking - in January or at the end of the season - what are we going to do?

"I think it has to be a player that has excelled and is still capable of playing football that is so much better than what is on the park - like Del Piero. He's clearly lifted the standards of Sydney.

"An Italian would be terrific. A really clever Italian. Or an English player out of the EPL. The EPL and Seria A are the two best known leagues. And they're probably the most likely to want to come here."

Sergio van Dijk occupies the foreign marquee spot on Adelaide's list but is expected to move on at the end of the season - if not sooner.

Van Dijk's departure would free up the position needed to bring in a high-profile international player.

If that hurdle is negotiated, Griffin said the next would be to get South Australia's corporate and government sectors on side.

"We simply haven't got the two-and-a-half, three million dollars Sydney has to throw at Del Piero," he said.

"They can put an extra 30,000 in their stadium. That's an enormous upside. Plus the corporate marketing dollars in Sydney are enormous.

"What we have to do is find someone who our corporate community is going to embrace. And government is going to embrace too, to be honest.

"I'm sure if there was a player of sufficient world standing, we could sit down with the Minister ... and say surely there can be something we can all do."
    Kewell to Adelaide, to go with the Flores to victory....

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Kewell to Adelaide, to go with the Flores to victory....
    Tbh I reckon a lot of clubs are staying away from Kewell primarily due to the circus that became Victory last season. When you add in the fact he hasn't played or trained for a long time, it doesn't make him attractive.

That being said, he would still draw a crowd.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

pico - I think you're right that for adp & Heskey the ffa invested marketing money in (which I imagine they've gotten the best marketing imaginable) but from what I understand they either let wsw have an extra squad spot or an extra foreign spot or both for ono
    OK

What you don't want to be is the only club without the drawing power that the others have.
    way i figure it, you can be that team and just get by on the drawing power of the super marquee in the teams that come play at home.

smart business. unfortunately it's likely to be the coast that are the free-loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    pico - I think you're right that for adp & Heskey the ffa invested marketing money in (which I imagine they've gotten the best marketing imaginable) but from what I understand they either let wsw have an extra squad spot or an extra foreign spot or both for ono
    It was an extra 2 visa spots, but within the squad limits, which the other HAL clubs suggested as they had concerns over the quality of the team that could be assembled, it would have gone through to the JALSC, be approved by them and passed onto the FFA, so everybody wa aware of it and had a chance to voice concerns.

What I don't like is that one club that has an established squad & back room staff, has had all the time in the world to organise their affairs, which made the GF last year, gets an extra squad spot. I'd guess just about all of the clubs managers would love to sign another player, especially midway through the season when they can plug any holes, but it's always been the case that if you want that flexibility you sacrifice a spot upfront so you stay within the rules.

No point in having a squad cap if your going to let one or two teams play over it when they feel like it.

If it was a case of Sage wanting marketing money, then I could understand where he's coming from, but just expecting an extra squad spot due to unrelated marketing concessions made for other marquees seems like a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Tbh I reckon a lot of clubs are staying away from Kewell primarily due to the circus that became Victory last season. When you add in the fact he hasn't played or trained for a long time, it doesn't make him attractive.

That being said, he would still draw a crowd.
    Were'nt a lot of the internal dramas at mlb last year associated to Kewell.And what happened to him wanting to return to England to be with his family.Perhaps him returning has more to do with no epl club wanting him
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

I think the major issues of victory last year was they had a season of incompetent coaches.
    OK

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    I thought Kewell couldn't play here because his mother in law was dying?

yeah, think he said the family issues had been resolved. have no idea what the dramas were, which is probably as it should be.

that was the reasoning initially, yep. to be with the fam & stuff.

but imagine giving up work to sit around your mother-in-law all day. i'd go stir crazy also.
    OK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    that was the reasoning initially, yep. to be with the fam & stuff.

but imagine giving up work to sit around your mother-in-law all day. i'd go stir crazy also.
    If he really wanted to play he would be playing. Seems to me that Harry thinks he is worth more than what clubs are willing to pay him or the clubs that want him play at a level beneath where Kewell is prepared to play.

Either that or must enjoy the company of his mother in law

The squad concessions given to WSW were agreed on by all clubs too. Apparently.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    The squad concessions given to WSW were agreed on by all clubs too. Apparently.
    Wouldn't really have had much choice. WSW were sold a lemon of a deal to start up this year with the notice they were given and having all HAL players of note being resigned already and being left with the cast offs.

Couple that with the fact the FFA and HAL couldn't really afford to have a basket case in Western Sydney in the first year when the feel good factor was present and then having to build from that in the future it was really a No Brainer to give them a few extra options not available to other clubs.

Hopefully the FFA and HAL learn something from this and actually give the next new club a couple of years of extra benefits to help get them established

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Wouldn't really have had much choice. WSW were sold a lemon of a deal to start up this year with the notice they were given and having all HAL players of note being resigned already and being left with the cast offs.

Couple that with the fact the FFA and HAL couldn't really afford to have a basket case in Western Sydney in the first year when the feel good factor was present and then having to build from that in the future it was really a No Brainer to give them a few extra options not available to other clubs.

Hopefully the FFA and HAL learn something from this and actually give the next new club a couple of years of extra benefits to help get them established
    Ffa don't learn, they dictate that smurfs and victory are to be the best. The rest are supposed to bow down

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Ffa don't learn, they dictate that smurfs and victory are to be the best. The rest are supposed to bow down
    Shame neither of these clubs got that memo judging by their pitiful performances