Page 94 of 101 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2018

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

Banned
    Bet the Chinese will be chuffed

Lord Griffo leaves and expecting something similar from Australia and they end up with Marrone

Roar in as Victory cuts Davies
    9 January 2013-SBS

Brisbane Roar is poised to swoop for the services of teenage attacker Julius Davies after he was released by Melbourne Victory on Wednesday.

Davies, 18
    , is set to become Roar's second signing this week after the club confirmed the capture of Socceroos defender Jade North on Tuesday.

Liberian-born former Bayern Munich junior Davies, who first got noticed playing in Perth, has failed to fit into the mould demanded by Victory boss Ange Postecoglou and Roar coach Mike Mulvey is ready to offer him a fresh start.

“Julius is a talented young player who unfortunately ran into some stiff competition for places here at Melbourne Victory,” Postecoglou said.

“While still only 18, he obviously wants to be playing first team football and he’s probably found himself further down the pecking order than he’d have liked.

“We wish him all the best in his future endeavours.”

It’s believed Davies, who played 120 minutes of A-League football under Jim Magilton at Victory last season, will ink a multi-year deal at Suncorp Stadium where he was headed for talks on Wednesday.

An Australia U-17 international, Davies's style and ability to take on players earned him his chance at Victory, where he spent nearly 12 months, but it didn’t win favour with Postecoglou and he has not played any part this season.

“‘It was a great experience and I am really glad I had the opportunity with Melbourne Victory even though it did not work out as I had hoped,” Davies said.

“I want to thank all my team-mates who have been great to me during my time here in Melbourne.

“I also wish to thank everyone at the Melbourne Victory Football Club for their support and I look forward to the next challenge in my career.”

With the exit of winger Rocky Visconte and North's signing, Mulvey’s reshaping of Roar is gathering pace with the likely arrival of Davies.

Seventh-placed Roar faces eight-placed Newcastle Jets at Hunter Stadium on Saturday.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...ry-cuts-Davies
    Surprised GVE has not tried to sign the bloke, in the right age group and a former U17 player, could help the club fill that #10 role that ribs seems to have been dumped from.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Surprised GVE has not tried to sign the bloke, in the right age group and a former U17 player, could help the club fill that #10 role that ribs seems to have been dumped from.
    The Jets? Signing someone or getting rid of dead-weight in a transfer window?
    If only.

Asian Cup drive gathers momentum
    9 January 2013-SBS: Philip Micallef

Loval hero ... Shinji Ono may be recruited to promote the Asian Cup (Getty)

Australia will shortly mount a charm offensive across Asia designed to maximise awareness of the 2015 AFC Asian Cup, local organisers said.

Two years to the day before the Socceroos begin their Asian Cup campaign in the opening match in Melbourne, the local organising committee revealed a grand plan to promote the tournament and Australia to a whole continent.

The organising committee could also invite a group of personalities like Western Sydney Wanderers' Japanese star Shinji Ono and other high-profile sportspeople to act as “ambassadors” for the event.

The Asian Cup will be held from 9 to 31 January with the final scheduled for ANZ Stadium in Sydney.

”Our strategy for the Asian Cup can be divided into three distinct stages,” local organising committee chief executive Michael Brown said.

”Last year was all about meeting people like governments and communities, setting the foundations and basically 'saying hello'.

”We tried to establish our identity domestically and internationally and I think we've done that.

”This year will be about promoting the event across Asia and engaging the continent.

”This is when we will build our relationships with Asia and basically ask them 'now that we have met you, what are we going to do together'.

”We want to assure them that their trust in Australia to hold the continent's biggest football tournament won't be misplaced.

”We will be working around important football matches in Asia involving Australia and with the help of tourism, trade and business leaders we will work together for the benefit of one and all.

”Then in 2014 we will get down to the business of making it all happen – selling match tickets, travel packages and so on.

”We are in the final stages of nominating the venues and when that is done we will be able to set a match schedule.”

The tournament will be played at five venues in four cities.

Brown was reluctant to reveal which of the eight venues that are on the shortlist will be retained because negotiations are not yet finalised.

The chosen stadia are likely to be ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium in Sydney, Ettihad or AAMI Park in Melbourne, Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane and Canberra Stadium.

The organising committee is working with local football federations and governments to identify a range of training facilities across the participating states.

These could include regional locations like the Gold Coast, the Hunter or Ballarat.

The tournament venues and schedule will be ratified by the AFC in March.

The qualified teams won't be known until March 2014 but it is hoped that high-profile sporting identities or community leaders in Australia who exert a degree of influence among their compatriots be engaged to help promote the event.

”Look at Alessandro Del Piero,” Brown explained.

”He talks to thousands of his fans every day via the social media.

”Such popular people as Ono, who has many followers, could do wonders in terms of drawing attention to the Asian Cup.”

The qualifying phase will kick off on February 6.

Sixteen teams will be engaged in four round-robins with the top two in each group and the best third-placed team to make the trip to Australia.

Holder Japan, host Australia, Korea Republic, Korea DPR and the winner of the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup will make up the 16-team event.

The competition is being jointly funded to the tune of $61 million by Federal Government and state governments.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/asian...thers-momentum
    Strange that Canberra with a poor stadium gets games but Newcastle misses out, guess we'll have to settle for being a training base, if we even get that. When is the NNSW training venue at spears point going to be completed, seems like the ideal place, unless HSG go and build something with government funding for both the jets and knights but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Banned
    Actually pretty glad that we in Newy miss out on this type of thing.

Adds to the chip on shoulder mentality about us being treated like a second class citizen by the rest of this state and country.

Independence for the Hunter

Disgrace, expect 10 people and a stray dog to turn up in Canberra.

Strange that Canberra with a poor stadium gets games but Newcastle misses out.
    might be an "all seater" thing.

think of all the gov funding that is needed to host this tourney. i am sure canberra would like a few games.

Strange that Canberra with a poor stadium gets games but Newcastle misses out, guess we'll have to settle for being a training base, if we even get that. When is the NNSW training venue at spears point going to be completed, seems like the ideal place, unless HSG go and build something with government funding for both the jets and knights but I can't see that happening any time soon.
    Agreed. Don't see why the 25,000 seat stadium gets it while the 33,000 stadium where an A-League club plays doesnt.

Mind you, given the state of the pitch atm at Hunter Stadium, its very probable the FFA doesnt want to be embarassed by the state of the pitch.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Well the AFC regulations says it needs to be all seated... as per stadium regulations.. So we are technically lucky we could play champo's games at hunter... Seriously should but in seats either end of the ground.. With one end made of the special terrace seats that are availiable. Then we can move behind the goal If the two ends where a big bigger and seated the stadium would be very nice.. as per some designs shown a few years back.
    Amigos Aarau

Good NEWS!!!!
    Zadmans Injury not serious,
    Reported on radio scans cleared of any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    might be an "all seater" thing.
    Yeah that would make sense but I'm sure I remember the proposal for temp seating to be used over the hills.

The same stuff that they used to make NIB stadium bigger, have seen it used over in the US to build an entire temporary stadium whilst a new one was being built.

Lets be honest with the crowds that will most likely be expected you could just rope off the hills and use some sort of advertising cover, similar to the bay covers overseas and you'd still have plenty of seats available.

Ideally the state government should be looking at using this to get some fed funds to help pay to convert the ends for one of the new designated state stadiums from their master plan. You wouldn't want it any bigger, 33k is plenty for Newcastle. All that's needed is to replace it with seats. Would be great if they opted for kombi seats for the south end to help push up capacity for events when needed.

Okay, now it's ridiculous. Within the past 2 days or so:

Viconte Roar to free, then free to WSW
    North to Roar
    Davis. MV to free, then free to Roar
    Franjic. MV to free

Yet we are still stuck with Jesic.
    Last edited by Thomas477; 09-01-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Okay, now it's ridiculous. Within the past 2 days or so:

Viconte Roar to free, then free to WSW
    North to Roar
    Davis. MV to free, then free to Roar
    Franjic. MV to free

Yet we are still stuck with Jesic.

will start this weekend :P
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by goaliepersempre View Post
    will start this weekend :P
    Seriously hope you are taking the piss.

Also, another point, the A-League transfer window hasn't even opened yet, but these transfers are going on anyway.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Also, another point, the A-League transfer window hasn't even opened yet, but these transfers are going on anyway.
    rest assured I am, but you never no........
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by goaliepersempre View Post
    rest assured I am, but you never no........
    Actually a possibility if Ritter is still injured. Jesic could start in behind Heskey/Taggart.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

there have been no transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Newieutd View Post
    there have been no transfers
    Just teams releasing players on a free transfer so they can join other clubs.

I think it's making a mockery of the transfer window tbh.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Just teams releasing players on a free transfer so they can join other clubs.

I think it's making a mockery of the transfer window tbh.
    Can't see how that's happening, the players still have to wait until the transfer window opens before they are eligible to play any games for their new club, so they can be cut January 1st or on January 13th, the result is the same, they can't play until after the 14th.

SFC is just bitching because they gave Griffo a contract from Jan 1, but the rules clearly state you can't transfer a player in until Jan 14th, so they have had to pay the bloke for 2 weeks for training.