Page 95 of 101 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2018

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

Teen striker Anthony Proia on outer as Roar bring in African youngster Julius Davies

Marco Monteverde
    The Courier-Mail
    January 11, 2013 12:00AM

Out of favour Anthony Proia, 18, may have to walk away from Brisbane Roar after the club brought in rival striker Julius Davies (inset). Pictures: Stuart Quinn Source: The Courier-Mail

TEENAGE striker Anthony Proia has been all but told he has no future in Brisbane despite being under contract with the club until the end of the 2013-14 season.

Proia, 18, was brought to Brisbane by former coach Ange Postecoglou in February last year and was earmarked as a huge part of the club's future but has not seen so much as a minute of A-League action.

"It's not just about today, it's about tomorrow," Postecoglou said at the time.

After Postecoglou's move to Melbourne Victory less than three months later, Proia has had little support from the club's coaching staff.

It is understood Postecoglou's successor Rado Vidosic was not as big a fan of Proia's talents, and the man who deposed the beleaguered Vidosic last month, Mike Mulvey, seems to have a similar opinion of the Sydney product.

"If he can find another club, we won't be standing in his way," Mulvey said last night. "We had a chat and he's a little bit homesick as well."

An anxious Proia discussed his future with Mulvey and Roar general manager Sean Dobson after yesterday's training session.

The out-of-favour forward saw the writing on the wall at the Roar after the club's decision to add attacking weapon Julius Davies to their roster on Wednesday.

Surplus to requirements at Melbourne Victory, Davies was unveiled as a Brisbane player less than 24 hours after the club announced the signing of Socceroos defender Jade North from Japanese club Consadole Sappora, with both players managed by Buddy Farah.

The signing of Davies is understood to have shocked some Roar players, particularly after the club on Tuesday allowed attacking midfielder Rocky Visconte to join Western Sydney Wanderers.

Visconte's departure has also had an effect on Proia, as the pair are good friends.

Mulvey said the Roar would honour Proia's contract if the former Australian Institute of Sport marksman could not find a new club.

While Proia seemingly has some long-term security if he cannot secure a deal elsewhere, Luke Brattan, James Meyer and George Lambadaridis are coming off contract and are playing for their futures.

"There's a few of them that have been told ... 'you've got a great opportunity, make sure you grab it with both hands'," Dobson said.

With Erik Paartalu still waiting for his move to a Chinese Super League club to be finalised, there is a good chance the midfielder will line up for the Roar against Newcastle Jets at Hunter Stadium tomorrow night.

As reported by The Courier-Mail on Monday, the Jets lost out in their bid to snare Roar youth team skipper Corey Brown, despite the Australian under-20 fullback having initially agreed to terms with Newcastle.

The Roar yesterday announced that Brown had signed a two-year senior deal to stay in Brisbane.
    Some more youth for GVE to sign for next season.

I'd take Meyer.

It'd stop him scoring against us at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I'd take Meyer.

It'd stop him scoring against us at least.
    he could still score own goals.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    he could still score own goals.
    Well played

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Can't see how that's happening, the players still have to wait until the transfer window opens before they are eligible to play any games for their new club, so they can be cut January 1st or on January 13th, the result is the same, they can't play until after the 14th.

SFC is just bitching because they gave Griffo a contract from Jan 1, but the rules clearly state you can't transfer a player in until Jan 14th, so they have had to pay the bloke for 2 weeks for training.
    Sydney are right to moan in my opinion. Lord Griffos contract was up at Shanghai at the end of 2012. Smurfs sign him and as far as I can tell he can't play on January 1st like he could anywhere else in the world but has to wait until January 14th thanks to the FFA having a transfer window outside of the rest of the world.

Apparently this has been done to protect Aussie Clubs from Overseas poaching?? Other than the Gypos who else is having issues with this???

In the meantime Lord Griffo has to train and twiddle his thumbs. The whole thing is a farce when the rules have been enacted to protect clubs from exploitation from foreign clubs yet players who will bring something to the league are being ****ed over and made to wait

I don't understand it.... the guy's contact has finished, therefore he is a free agent. Is there a registration window or something? I don't fully understand why he can't play?

Can a cub sign a free agent mid season (outside the tansfer window) and play him straight away or can this not be done? I understand if he is being bought from another club.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weston View Post
    I don't understand it.... the guy's contact has finished, therefore he is a free agent. Is there a registration window or something? I don't fully understand why he can't play?

Can a cub sign a free agent mid season (outside the tansfer window) and play him straight away or can this not be done? I understand if he is being bought from another club.
    Thats precisely right.

If Harry Kewell decided to return to the EPL as a free agent he would be able to play straight away at anytime of the year.

If he returned to Australia as some sort of local legend the FFA would move heaven and earth to bend whatever rules to get him on the park if rules forbade him from playing.

Lord Griffo is just being picked on

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Lord Griffo is just being picked on
    Who is this person you speak of? He is a myth.. A sham.. A false idol..

So SFC sign a bloke in December for January, then whinge about him not being able to play or officially transfer into the club until the 14th due to the window that was established before the season started in October.

Its not like this rule magically came out of nowhere to stop Griffo and SFC, its been in place for a while now, if SFC were so worried why did they not raise the issue earlier, or was it the case that they simply paid no attention to the rules again, life must be hard now they don't have uncle frank making up the rules to suit them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Who is this person you speak of? He is a myth.. BULLSHIT A sham.. BULLSHIT A false idol..BULLSHIT
    Fixed for accuracy.

Bloke wasn't wanted by the ruling body at our club. Its not like we were in a bidding war for Lord Griffo's services and he turned his back on us. WE REFUSED TO MAKE THE EFFORT

Bloke is a hero and will be treated as such whenever he returns to Stade de Newy. Will even respect the legend when he scores against us. Scored winning goal in Grand Final. Carried our club on his back. Get the **** off his case

Will reevaluate stance if Lord Griffo charges towards the Jets active support giving it the big one though

Fixed for accuracy.

Bloke wasn't wanted by the ruling body at our club. Its not like we were in a bidding war for Lord Griffo's services and he turned his back on us. WE REFUSED TO MAKE THE EFFORT

Bloke is a hero and will be treated as such whenever he returns to Stade de Newy. Will even respect the legend when he scores against us. Scored winning goal in Grand Final. Carried our club on his back. Get the **** off his case

Will reevaluate stance if Lord Griffo charges towards the Jets active support giving it the big one though
    Hahahaha Gotta give it to you, I wish I had your true religious style head-in-the-sand approach to all this..
    Would make being a Jets supporter a lot easier..

I thought the griffo fapfest was over
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

If they wanted Griff to play, its quite simple. Guest player contract until Jan 14, when he joins as a full time squad member.

Not that difficult, hell, you could even front load the gust contract and make the full time less.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

I would be extremely concerned if Griffo didn't receive the same welcome as Hucho when he returns to the town that made him.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    I would be extremely concerned if Griffo didn't receive the same welcome as Hucho when he returns to the town that made him.
    Our best ever player?

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    which town made Hutcho?

Fixed for accuracy.

I think he is a loser.

Haahahahaha, Ange

No Ange pity for pillaged Mariners

Melbourne Victory coach Ange Postecoglou says he has no sympathy for Central Coast Mariners, whose squad is set to be gutted in the January transfer window.

Postecoglou's side will host Central Coast in Launceston on Saturday as the Mariners reel from a succession of stories this week linking their players to moves abroad.

But Postecoglou believes interest in the likes of Tom Rogic, Mat Ryan and Bernie Ibini is a sign of Central Coast's good form, with Victory's coach 'bemused' at the sympathy being shown to the league-leading Mariners and their head coach, Graham Arnold.

"There are a lot of bleeding hearts out there feeling for a team that's top of the table and have been top of the table for quite a while, not just this year," Postecoglou said at Victory training on Friday.

"I don't know, everyone's got sympathy for them, I don't.

"They're doing a pretty good job, if they lose a couple of players, so be it.

"They've done that before and recovered."

Rogic is the only Central Coast player linked with a move abroad who will not be available for the trip to Tasmania.

The 20-year-old playmaker, who is still serving a suspension for the red card he received against Sydney FC, is on trial with Celtic, but Postecoglou still expects the Mariners to be 'a tough nut to crack'.

"This is a competitive, ruthless business we're in, so I don't feel sorry for anyone," Postecoglou said.

"I hope they do lose players, at the end of the day that's the nature of the game.

"We lost a player (Gui Finkler with a knee injury) last week ... but, you know, I haven't checked my mail but I haven't got any sympathy cards yet."

Postecoglou and Arnold's rivalry has developed over the past two seasons as Brisbane Roar and Central Coast battled for A-League supremacy.

While there is plenty of respect between the two, there is also some spice, with Arnold claiming last year winning the Premiers Plate had 'more value' than Brisbane's Grand Final triumph under Postecoglou.

But Postecoglou clearly rates Arnold's achievements with Central Coast.

"I've never seen so much crying over spilt milk over a team that's top of the table in my whole life," Postecoglou said.

"I tell you what I'd do if I was the Mariners.

"I'd bank the money, some of it, pay of our debts and the rest I'd pay Arnie and his coaching staff a big fat pay rise and tell them to keep doing what they're doing.

"They're going alright."

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...mariners/57905

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Haahahahaha, Ange
    ange, the people's hero

iirc this is in addition to another top drawer spray earlier in the year, man is a genius

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Our best ever player?
    Who signed for another club in the same league. Even worse, signed for one of our two rival clubs (WSW doesn't count).

Despite what he's done for us, the fact remains he is a former captain who has signed for a rival club. Thus IMO he should not be praised for doing so, but booed and jeered as would any other player who signed for a derby rival.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out