Page 97 of 101 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2018

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

remembe when griffo layed on that goal for carle vs adelaide?

slobs doesn't

griff
    we will loose

Whatever happened to Vrteski and Grossman?

Quote Originally Posted by OmeletteDuFromage View Post
    Whatever happened to Vrteski and Grossman?
    Vrteski left when BK was fit again. Grossman just hasn't done enough for GvE to pick him ahead of Pepper, Jobe, Zad, Brillante etc.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    how did you feel about nick carle going to sydney fc?
    couldnt give 2 hoots about the greaser.

OI middleby sign zads or get eggs
    Last edited by hawk; 15-01-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Zads needs to be priority re-sign target along with Heskey, though I think that decision will come down more to the player.

apparently Gypos have signed Fitzgerald from the Roar for next season and beyond

Nice "big sell" by Farah....Rubes for all his positives is not "hot property". He has been around for ages, failed O/S, failed for the Socceroos.

By all means worth keeping but if he is priced above sensibility let him go. Would join the extending line of "Newy" boys who jump for the highest bidder.

Frustrated Mariners coach Graham Arnold apologises for his actions

CENTRAL Coast coach Graham Arnold faces the possibility of a heavy fine and a sideline ban after being ordered off the bench and made to watch the rest of Saturday's 1-1 draw with Melbourne Victory from the grandstand.

The drama comes as news emerged that the financially struggling Mariners are on the verge of losing one of their key sponsors at the end of the season.

The Australian understands Primo Smallgoods, which has supported the club for the past three seasons and is its back-of-shirt sponsor, will shift allegiance to new A-League club Western Sydney.

Primo is owned by Paul Lederer, now chairman of Western Sydney. Lederer is reportedly worth $400 million and is regularly included on BRW's top 200 rich list.

Primo's sponsorship is believed to be worth about $250,000 a season to the Mariners, who have struggled to keep their head above water despite being one of the most successful clubs in the history of the A-League on the field.

The club has had to rely on selling players to help its bottom line. Last season it sold Matt Simon and Rostyn Griffiths to clubs in Asia and it could lose Tom Rogic, Matt Ryan and Bernie Ibini to European clubs in the January transfer window.

It was revealed last week that the club is due to pay $3m for the land on which the Mariners' Centre of Excellence has been built at Tuggerah. Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull, who has fought hard to keep the club going, remains confident about the viability of the club and says the payment will be made.

Given the Mariners are leading the A-League and continue to produce great talent, it should be well placed to find another sponsor.

Meanwhile, with the Mariners down 1-0 and struggling, Arnold earned the wrath of referee Chris Beath just before half-time following a complaint from the fourth official. It is not known what the fired up Arnold said to cause such a stern reaction.

While the former Socceroos coach apologised later for his actions, he is unlikely to escape some form of sanction when the A-League match review panel meets today.

The panel has a number of options, although Arnold's exemplary record as a coach could ultimately save him from a heavy penalty. Whatever the panel decides, it won't save Arnold from having to fork out $1000 from his pocket under a fines system instigated by the players.

A contrite Arnold could not hide his embarrassment following the incident and did his best to make amends.

"I apologise. It was mainly down to frustration at our poor performance in the first half," he said.

"It was the first time in two and a half years I've had to go off my head at half-time (at his players) . . . I said something (to the officials) I shouldn't have said, and I'll cop whatever."

The Mariners responded well to Arnold's half-time spray, producing a much better second 45 minutes, though they needed a penalty to get back on terms.

Victory defender Adrian Leijer clumsily brought down Michael McGlinchey, and the A-League's leading goalscorer Daniel McBreen calmly sent goalkeeper Nathan Coe the wrong way.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226553138971

wtf? i thought when you were sent off as a coach you couldn't do anything with the team on that day. i seem to recall that extends to an hour after the match as well.

mind you, given the article didn't even get the name of the ref right, i wonder how well researched it actually was.

he was certainly on the phone to his bench a few times from the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226553138971

wtf? i thought when you were sent off as a coach you couldn't do anything with the team on that day. i seem to recall that extends to an hour after the match as well.

mind you, given the article didn't even get the name of the ref right, i wonder how well researched it actually was.

he was certainly on the phone to his bench a few times from the stand.
    Agreed, didn't think they could contact them as well.

Mind you, this is Arnie so it's all a conspiracy against him.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Whoops.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/a-lea...#ixzz2Hx71h7pN

Former Adelaide United coach Rini Coolen is suing the A-League club for $2.2 million over his sacking as head coach in December, 2011.
    Dutch-born Coolen's demands were outlined at the opening of a trial in the South Australian District Court on Monday and include almost $1.3 million to pay out the three-and-a-half years he had left on his contract.
    He also wants $105,000 for the loss of a car he was given to use, $107,000 for the loss of potential bonuses and several hundred thousand dollars for exemplary damages.
    In his first year at Adelaide United, Coolen took the Reds from bottom to third place in the A-League and then negotiated a new four-year deal.
    Advertisement
    But after a string of poor performances, including just two wins and six losses from 11 games the following season, he was relegated to the role of youth coach, which he rejected.
    Mark Douglas, for Coolen, told the court that during his client's contract negotiations he had been assured that the board of Adelaide United was "not the type of people who lose six games and then try to execute the coach".
    But he said they had done exactly that and what had followed was a string of episodes of "back peddling" as the club tried to "rid themselves of Mr Coolen by any means available".
    "What Mr Coolen has suffered is the fate of a man living without income in a country that is not his own," Douglas said.
    Douglas said as well as the damages, Coolen was looking to the case to provide clarity and to vindicate the position he took, which could have significant implications on his future employment prospects.
    Because of the impending litigation Coolen had also been denied the opportunity to tell his side of the story.
    The trial is continuing and will include a cross claim by Adelaide United that Coolen had overstated his level of skills and experience

They didn't sack him.
    They gave him different responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    They didn't sack him.
    They gave him different responsibilities.
    hope they put the "other duties as required" bit in the contract then.

Think you will find like most workplaces so long as those " other duties " still meant his remuneration stayed the same and not diminished the club will be ok

workplace bullying IMO

Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    workplace bullying IMO
    Heard they regularly teased him about his name.

But he always called them pissants in return.

Call it even.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226554510150

SYDNEY FC are poised to fill the gap left by Pascal Bosschaart's continued injury nightmare by signing Newcastle centreback Tiago later today.

Though it's believed Newcastle have agreed to release the Brazilian defender immediately, Sydney must get special dispensation from A-League chiefs to sign him as an injury replacement as he will be another visa player.

The Sky Blues have chronic problems in central defence with Bosschaart out for six months, Adam Griffiths also injured and utility Rhyan Grant forced to fill in last Sunday against Melbourne Heart.

Bosschaart has a bone spur in his ankle to remove and a small tear in his Achilles, both of which require operations and extensive rehabilitation.

Tiago has fallen out of favour at Newcastle this season under Gary van Egmond, and will go straight into the Sydney side to face Wellington on Saturday.

The 31-year-old will sign a short-term contract for now, with Sydney no closer to finalising plans for next season.
    Last edited by Grimario; 15-01-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Now this will be interesting, I liked Tarago, never allowed to play his natural game, bit like Topor
    Last edited by My2BobsWorth; 15-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Hahaha good things happen in threes - Clean Sheet, Clean Sheet, Tiago leaving....

Its funny because he wont be the worst player in their backline with McClenahan there!

rip our only remaining player worth following
    we will loose