Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcastle Football History - Rangers, KB, Rosebud, Breakers, United, Jets etc.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newcastle Football History - Rangers, KB, Rosebud, Breakers, United, Jets etc.

So i'm toying with the idea of establishing a History of Football in Newy website, a place for people to go to see how we've been represented over the years on the national stage, with the plan further down the track to have it spread to lower levels of football too.

I'm 95% sure i've located electronic copies of all KB/Rosebud match day programs from 1978-1985 and also possibly videos from of most/all KB, rosebud, breakers jets games from 1980.

What i'm looking for is any photos, footage, newspaper articles, stories you may have from attending national league games seeing any of the teams to of represented Newy.

If you know of anyone who has some history please let me know.

http://neososmos.blogspot.com.au/

Ian syson is a football history guru.
    Based in Victoria, but a great football historian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    http://neososmos.blogspot.com.au/

Ian syson is a football history guru.
    Based in Victoria, but a great football historian.
    Too kind Gary. Thanks though.

The go-to document for getting a handle on the deep history of the game in Newcastle is Phil Mosely's thesis, A SOCIAL HISTORY OF SOCCER IN NEW SOUTH WALES 1880–1957

This is the first para in the 2nd chapter on the Newcastle district.

Soccer in the Newcastle District had been organised by the Northern British FA since 1887. By 1900 there were fifteen teams playing in official competitions and by 1909 twenty-eight teams. In 1910 the Wallsend and District British FA was formed and took over from the Northern British FA. In its first year the new body raised the District’s number of soccer teams to fifty-two. Four years later, the Wallsend and District British FA was itself superseded by the Northern District British FA. This change achieved some positive and immediate results but, due to World War I, it was not till after 1918 that soccer’s popularity in the Newcastle District climbed rapidly. By 1922 official competitions were catering for sixty-three teams, ranging from adults to under sixteens. School teams numbering forty-four were registered in under fifteen, fourteen and twelve age groups.
    Here's a couple of very early references to football in Newastle from the digital newspaper archive in Trove in the National Library

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/108007687

This is from all places the Melbourne Argus in 1887:

The final match of the season under the British Association rules was won on Saturday by the Hamilton Athletics (Newcastle), who defeated Granville, the former champions, by 4 goals to 1.
    This is from 1888 when Victoria defeated the combined Northern district "3 points to 1"!

This is from 1888

A new club has been formed at Burwood, near Newcastle, to be called the Burwood Swifts. Tbe style of game to be played will be the British Association. This game seems to be gaining in popularity. I believe we now have five Northern teams formed, viz., Hamilton, Minmi, Burwood, Wallsend, and Greta, with every prospect of others joining. The number of players required to .compose a team-viz., 11- causes less difficulty in organisation than in the Rugby or Australian game.

Trove is a marvellous resource for anyone wanting to research the game's history. If you are interested get in and have a look around. But be careful as it's addictive!

If anyone wants more suggestions just ask.

Cheers
    Last edited by Ian Syson; 08-10-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Syson View Post

The go-to document for getting a handle on the deep history of the game in Newcastle is Phil Mosely's thesis, A SOCIAL HISTORY OF SOCCER IN NEW SOUTH WALES 1880–1957

Here's a couple of very early references to football in Newastle from the digital newspaper archive in Trove in the National Library

This is from 1888 when Victoria defeated the combined Northern district "3 points to 1"!

This is from 1888

Trove is a marvellous resource for anyone wanting to research the game's history. If you are interested get in and have a look around. But be careful as it's addictive!

Cheers
    Thanks for that info Ian, very helpful indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Syson View Post

This is from 1888

Cheers

Some NNSWF sides left out of your list mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Some NNSWF sides left out of your list mate.
    Such as?

It's probably going to help if you let him know which ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Such as?

It's probably going to help if you let him know which ones.
    No worries guys. Newcastle not my strong suit and I was just offering some starting points that I'm aware of. I would be interested in some links, especially to pre 1887 material. Mosely is of the opinion that your region and parts of Sydney are the cradle of the game in oz. There's a lot still to be discovered and recorded about your region.

Yeah thanks Gav, that is where i am getting the match day programs from. Only problem is he has 5-6 libraries listed as having a copy of his completed research project on usb but the only library i've found that actually has a record of ever receiving it is the National Library in Canberra, so might have to make a trip down.

Jump in a blackhawk

Send a PM to Crooky Todd, he would probably be interested in having that stuff on this site.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Men of football might be able to help.

Or ring the jets, Lolololololololol

Jets dont have any history - Con took it all with him.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

has anyone ever heard of Newcastle Raiders before? Only time i've ever seen/heard of them is on this site.

http://www.newcastlematchdayprograms...toid=146629980

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG NBUnited View Post
    has anyone ever heard of Newcastle Raiders before? Only time i've ever seen/heard of them is on this site.

http://www.newcastlematchdayprograms...toid=146629980
    Christ you boys make me feel old....1981 season I think.

i-Sv5hsNX-XL.jpg

Nicknames didn't really last the season...to much pressure from the "ethnic" clubs.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 09-10-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Newcastle Raiders were just KB United as far as i know. All the NSL teams had to choose a nickname. I've got a feeling that Sydney City were called the Sydney City Slickers??

Ian syson. Man is a footballing history genius.

****ing wow!

I always thought it was funny our foz gets stalked by the herald journos.
    But to be stalked by Ian Syson..... This is awesome.

Everyone should read his log, the guy is ****ing legend, especially based in Melbourne where afl run the show, he just quietly goes about the business of demonstrating how wonderful our game is and how rich the history is despite what the sun herald want people to think!

Agree with gav. If you haven't read any Syson before, now is the time.

There is a heap of archived stuff at Newcastle Library on microfiche compiled by Harry Hetherington - written history as well as newspaper articles. Harry Hetherington has done a mountain of work looking into the football history in our region and is a NNSWFF life member and FFA Hall of Famer.

Back when the squadron was starting I reviewed a lot of it to put on the website. I've got bits and pieces of extracts and things like club formation dates, but it's all there at the Library if you want it.

Pretty sure there was some kind of interview with the original Minmi Rangers, many years after the first game was played.

There was all sorts of stats about people from this region who had played representative football at state and national level in the very early days.
    Last edited by hausmann; 09-10-2013 at 10:27 AM.