Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcastle Football History - Rangers, KB, Rosebud, Breakers, United, Jets etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Such as?

It's probably going to help if you let him know which ones.
    No worries guys. Newcastle not my strong suit and I was just offering some starting points that I'm aware of. I would be interested in some links, especially to pre 1887 material. Mosely is of the opinion that your region and parts of Sydney are the cradle of the game in oz. There's a lot still to be discovered and recorded about your region.

We've always seen it as exactly that, I grew up with assumed knowledge that Scottish miners brought the game to newy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    We've always seen it as exactly that, I grew up with assumed knowledge that Scottish miners brought the game to newy.
    And the Geordies as well? There are enough Northumberland and Durham placenames around there to suggest a strong influence.

Ha! Keep talking the Geordies up and Loudy might come back.

I think my "Scottish miners" thoughts probably comes from playing at West Wallsend.
    Having said that I can only assume Rosebuds might have been formed by English expats as opposed to Scottish.

Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post
    There is a heap of archived stuff at Newcastle Library on microfiche compiled by Harry Hetherington - written history as well as newspaper articles. Harry Hetherington has done a mountain of work looking into the football history in our region and is a NNSWFF life member and FFA Hall of Famer.
    Pretty sure there was some kind of interview with the original Minmi Rangers, many years after the first game was played.
    There was all sorts of stats about people from this region who had played representative football at state and national level in the very early days.
    Harry has given me some stuff to look at. Trying to put some general stuff together.

You have to go to Syd uni library for Phil Mosely's thesis, although I was chatting to him the other week as he is working on more local footy stuff.

Any newspaper stuff from smh, N Herald, miners advocate, maito mercury etc i can get if you have an approx date ready.
    Last edited by hawk; 13-11-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Starting to get everything up online. (not much online atm)
    If anyone has something they would like to have added to the page, let me know on here or send a msg to the page on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/NewcastleFootballHistory

All those books/articles is just copy and pasted from wikipedia. Even says so in the description. Have thought about getting it just to see but im 98% sure it wont have anything that i dont have already.

for anyone interested, Matchday Program from KB v Canberra City, April 28, 1979

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itedp9qk2t...028%201979.pdf

And for anyone who hasn't been across to check out the facebook page, here it is!

https://www.facebook.com/NewcastleFootballHistory

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG NBUnited View Post
    for anyone interested, Matchday Program from KB v Canberra City, April 28, 1979

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itedp9qk2t...028%201979.pdf
    We need the previous issue for the rest of the Rosebuds story. sh1t.

yeah i know, trying to work on that.

Andy Roberts is an absolute legend. Sent him a msg and the amount of photos from his personal collection that he has shared with the page is amazing. My personal favourites are these 2.

Deadest Todd, get on the blower to toffs.co.uk and get them to make a KB green white brown kit.

I'd buy one.

If buy.

+2
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Deadest Todd, get on the blower to toffs.co.uk and get them to make a KB green white brown kit.

I'd buy one.
    thanks for the heads up gaz, i've sent them an email so hopefully hear back from them before the new year. They've got an old 1982 brisbane top so they've done atleast 1 aussie club before.

I'm also sending enquiries to other companies here in aus, does anyone know of any that may be able to do it?

I can assure toffs gear is top quality.

Would be wanting some bloody good samples from Aussie companies to beat what toffs produce.

which breakers jersey would you want most?