Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: General A-League Thread

Nominate Your Club for Jets Halftime Participation
    August 21, 2013
    It’s that time of year again where Club Football comes to an end and the A-League season starts to creep into the spotlight!
    Once again Northern NSW Football would like to offer Under 8 and 9 teams the opportunity to participate in halftime entertainment at Newcastle Jets home fixtures during the 2013/14 A-League season.

To participate each club must:

■Bring exactly 16 players in the under 8 or 9 age group.
    ■Have one coach selected to organise participants on the day and liaise with Northern NSW Football Staff
    ■Nominate a preferred home game fixture to attend. (please note you can nominate several home fixtures- but you will only be asked to participate once)
    Wear the club’s uniform – jersey, shorts and socks. No Football Boots are to be worn by any participants by regulation of Hunter Stadium.
    ■All participants will need to fill out an approval form once your club has been confirmed a date. (sent with confirmation)
    Participation in Newcastle Jets half time demonstrations is solely at the discretion of Northern NSW Football, we will endeavour to ensure most nominations have the opportunity to participate.

Due to high demand not all nominating clubs will be able to participate, so get your nomination form in as soon as possible.

http://www.northernnswfootball.com.a...980aa87adf5ec3

Good to see the Jets getting in early with the clubs and promoting this for the younger kids.

Obviously Hunter Stadium don't want the field ripped up by these marauding little people with their football boots so will all teams be playing barefoot when they visit???????????

Re the boots, I'm pretty sure Ulsan whinged about the same thing when they played down here.

Not that the pitch could get any worse...
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Matt Thompson, the A-League's record-holder for appearances with 203, expects to find out next week whether his career in the competition will be extended with Wellington Phoenix.

Heartbroken Thompson gets on with it
    Thompson to look overseas

Thompson, who was cut by Melbourne Heart at the end of last season, is in the middle of a trial with Phoenix after its coach, Ernie Merrick, contacted him through the player's manager last Friday.

After linking up with Phoenix in Sydney on Tuesday, Thompson played in the 2-1 loss to Western Sydney Wanderers at Seven Hills on Wednesday and will go around again for against the Jets in Newcastle on Saturday.

Thompson, normally a midfielder or defender, played further forward than he normally would against the Wanderers as Merrick took into account his lack of match practice.

"I got 25 minutes off the bench," Thompson said. "It was good. It was my first hit-out since the last game I played last season.

"I gave Ernie the heads up about what's been happening with me for the last few months and he put me in the number 10 position just to give me a bit of a free role and have a breather when I needed. It was a good hit-out.

"I think Ernie has in mind more of a defensive role in the midfield, if he does sign me, but I'm not sure what his plans are for the Newcastle game."

Thompson, who turned 31 last Sunday, has been living in Brisbane and training with Roar. That club had informed him some time ago that it wasn't in a position to offer him a contract, but was allowing him to work out with the team to keep fit.

He and his wife, Leslie, were staying with her family while awaiting the birth of their second child, and Thompson had been negotiating to continue his career with a club in Asia. He says a switch to Asia is still an option.

"I was doing a couple of sessions a week with the Roar," he said. "We've got the new baby now, so I've been pretty busy there as well. I've got a fitness base - I haven't put on 10 kilos or anything ridiculous like that - but the match condition obviously isn't there.

"Now that the games have started, three or four games in you find yourself pretty prepared, so I'm pretty happy with getting a run on Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to Saturday now. The camp wraps up after that game and I head back to Brisbane on Sunday."

Asked when he thought he might get a decision from Merrick on whether there was a contract for him with Phoenix, Thompson replied: "Ernie's a pretty straight-forward type of guy. I don't think he's going to waste my time and I'm not going to waste his, so I'm sure he'll have an idea of what he wants to do and will let me know when he's ready.

"He has obviously seen me play before and knows what sort of player I am - that's what got me to this situation in the first place. He would have wanted to have a close look at me play and see what sort of shape I'm in and how I fitted in with the other players.

"I tend to think that within a week after Saturday's game I'll be likely to hear something, but if he needs more time then that's no problem. It might turn out best for me to wait however long to see what he decides as well.

"This wasn't an opportunity I was going to pass on. If something comes from it, then, great."

Thompson said he was used to playing against the Phoenix players and was friends with some of them.

"I'm sure I'd have no trouble fitting into the group," he said. "I know Andrew Durante very well from playing with him at Newcastle. I've known him for 10 years or so and he's a good mate of mine.

"I've mixed with some of the others on nights out after games over there. They're a good bunch and it's comfortable being with them."

Thompson said he would continue to investigate the Asia possibility in the hope that either it or the Phoenix trial results in a deal.

"If both come up then I'm going to have to make a decision," he said. "But I'm not jumping forward to that stage. If it came to that it would be a good problem to have. Or there might be zero. I'm just waiting to see what happens."
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...ix's-hands

Sure we will make him feel more than welcome

Mate, mate , mate.

Mariners have signed Reddy

Sauce: 442
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

cue the CCM twitter dorks espousing untold amounts of keyboard rage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...ix's-hands

Sure we will make him feel more than welcome
    lol, didn't someone on here make the joke about Thommo looking for a job 'overseas' at Wellington?

Looking forward to the booing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Heart recruit Engelaar has apparently fractured his leg in their pre-season game against Brisbane.

more pork barreling for western sydney as o'farrell kicks in 75K for a preseason tour to asia for wanderers

As reported in The Herald, NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell contributed $75,000 to the Wanderers tour of Asia to help promote business and trade between Asia and the west Sydney region.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league...#ixzz2dPKP4p1N

I didnt know where to put this but fox sports has recently run a survey of 10,000 rugby fans and this was one of the questions.

36. Who is winning the publicity war?
    AFL - 35.1 per cent
    NRL - 30.3 per cent
    A-League - 31.3 per cent
    Rugby union - 3.3 per cent

And the giant is only just waking!
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    I didnt know where to put this but fox sports has recently run a survey of 10,000 rugby fans and this was one of the questions.

36. Who is winning the publicity war?
    AFL - 35.1 per cent
    NRL - 30.3 per cent
    A-League - 31.3 per cent
    Rugby union - 3.3 per cent

And the giant is only just waking!
    I read that and thought the same thing. Maybe not all rugby league fans are oblivious to the greater exposure and impact of the A-League and National team.

Banned
    Because we would be taking away much of their press

NRL and ALF hasn't diminished but the Rugby Union coverage in the last 10 years has gone down hill as ours has increased. That would be their perception also

Yeah just what we need............more yoof
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Treasurer Chris Bowen announced a government funding commitment of $10 million towards the establishment of the Johnny Warren Football Institute, a permanent football-centric education facility in the west of Sydney.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...ball-institute

pork pork pork

If we sign more youth then theres a greater chance Kale, etc. will be pushed into the first team

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/g...005-2v0xw.html

Gamerio out for 6 weeks. Dislocated his knee falling over on a marble floor doing a promo video. Guess he won't cause us much of a problem in round 1.

Did Matt Thompson end up signing for Wellington? Or anyone?

supposedly sydney were looking at him

TAB odds for the Premiers plate
    Mariners $3.50
    Wanderers $4.00
    Victory $5.50
    Sydney $5.50
    Roar $7.00
    Adelaide $10.00
    Heart $11.00
    Glory $13.00
    Jets $26.00
    Phoenix $34.00