Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HAL 13/14 Round 1 - Other fixtures

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Besart still a massive bellend.

Though I wish he was our bellend, like most good players in the league I (we) all hate.
    Beautiful player. He's exactly what we are missing in our squad. I can just picture us being 1-0 down in Wellington, all of our kids with their heads down, tails between their legs - not rugby tackling, swearing at the ref and kicking the shit out of everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Love Berisha

Brisbane getting better as the game goes on. Can see them scoring a couple

Considering listening to the second half on mute

Watching a 1/3 strength Nix be pretty effective against Roar makes me realise that we are almost certainties for the spoon now, surely.

I think we by far have put in the least impressive performance of the weekend

Is this the first game that dugouts have been used? I remember there was supposedly a rule change by the FFA in the off-season, but I think all of the preceding games have had those shitty plastic chairs.
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

2-1 Brisbane. Very, very sloppy last 20 minutes from Wellington, and poor second half in general. Strange game.

Adelaide and Perth playing open football from the off. Tied at 1 after 10 minutes.

Easy to watch this sort of fluid football - now if only WE played that way.....

Mike Cockerill on Fox: " this Reds team is choc full of Latino flair"

First 2 names on the team sheet:
    Boogaard, McKain.

Glorious.

Final Score ADL 3 (10) - 1 (2)

Numbers in brackets are yellow cards....

Booooooooooooooooooooogard and Isasis both got sent for 2nd yellows, both warranted imo.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Watched most of Adelaide v Perth.

Gve needs to look at how mobile and the freedom the front 4 of Adelaide have, and how well it works for them, then let our guys do that

The perfect example of how a free-flowing 4-3-3 can work, as opposed to the hyper rigid front 3 gve wants us to play
    OK

^ Agree with those comments pv4. In fairness to GVE though, Perth were setup to play in a completely different way to Sydney though, who were sitting far deeper and not pushing forward as much imo. Looking at their squad, we are kidding ourselves if we think we have anywhere near the attacking quality of Adelaide, or nearly every other team in the league for that fact.

The discipline from Adelaide was a bit nuts. Gombz looks like a real character, was probably firing up more than the players. Didn't it used to be an A-League rule that if any match had 10 yellow cards or more in it then there were automatic fines for both teams?

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    ^ Agree with those comments pv4. In fairness to GVE though, Perth were setup to play in a completely different way to Sydney though, who were sitting far deeper and not pushing forward as much imo.
    Are you saying that our gameplan was halted by the opposition, and GVE did not have the awareness, pride or ability to adapt to overcome this?

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Looking at their squad, we are kidding ourselves if we think we have anywhere near the attacking quality of Adelaide, or nearly every other team in the league for that fact.
    Are you saying GVE has done an awful job at preparing our squad, in his third season as manager and after a second full offseason? Are you saying Gombau was able to do this job more successfully after given the reigns of his team 4 months ago, in a league that he had no clue about?

FWIW I agree - we don't have that tiki-taka flayva that the Pissants do. But you don't need that exact style to play a free-flowing 4-3-3. Brisbane under Ange did it amazingly, and were a lot more structured/methodical than AUFC. Ange's Victory do it way better than us with I think one Brazilian player.

My issue with GVE and his "system" has been well-documented - when his wingers (the two playing off the striker) take it upon themselves to move out of position to come find the ball, they're yelled at by GVE and told to go back to their position (we've all seen this happen). Our system is designed to have two of our biggest attacking threats completely isolated from the game for large amount of times, and they don't do enough when finally getting the ball to actually warrant being isolated for that time. We play the most rigid 3man frontline I've seen, and it never works.

I'm all for coaches trying new things. What I'm not for is them to try, and noticeably fail, with a thing yet continue trying it. This system thing is a perfect example of this - we had an awful year last year (who can remember, out of 27 games played, 5 games where we absolutely killed it? Or even were the more dominant team?) yet we've come out this season with the EXACT same system. Or how about 3 at the back? First game last year we tried and failed miserably at it vs the pissants. What does GVE do in preseason? Spend half the games with 3 at the back.

The worst thing about this all is I personally have never been formally trained in football tactics. Yet I can pinpoint what we're doing wrong (we all can, it's staring us in the fxxxing face). How has GVE, the rest of his coaching staff, the people who assess if GVE is meeting is required outcomes as apart of his job (lololol), etc not picked up on this?

We should just start Bridges, and give him captaincy, for the rest of the year. At least then we'll be able to have a good laugh, rather than be fooled under the illusion that we're actually attempting to compete. I propose our new lineup:

----------------BK-------------------
    Neville--Mitchell--Regan--Gallaway
    ----------Peppz--------Kanta-------
    --------------Bridges(C)-------------
    Virgili---------Gibbs----------Cooper

Then I'd agree with Baartzy - active support would only need three chants max. We'd only need 1 chant: "we're shit and we know we are" continously until the opposition scored, at which point we take our shoes off and lift them to the sky, and form a huddle around tobedog who is performing Tummy Time for the Fox Sports cameras.
    OK

1. Yes, I am saying we would have had more success against a team that was willing to push more numbers forward (which is what we saw with Wellington, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide). The statement is what it is though, nothing more.

2. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was definitely having a dig at GVE/the club in this case. If I ever thought that our squad consisted of underrated gems, I now know I was being naive.

Improvement of the team has to start with our recruiting, we're kidding ourselves if we ever thought we'd be title contenders with the current lot. We were out of the running before the season even kicked off.