Page 85 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2002

Thread: 2014 National Premier League

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Lakes?
    They haven't folded yet?

Don't know who is coaching, but have heard they managed to retain a fair amount of their first graders - 7 or 8 or so. So they must have someone lined up.

Olympic ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Olympic ?
    Exactly what i was thinking FR

The incumbent has had ample opportunity and time at the club now and achieved very little. Add in not even making the semis this season.

Surprised he is still in the picture there

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Exactly what i was thinking FR

The incumbent has had ample opportunity and time at the club now and achieved very little. Add in not even making the semis this season.

Surprised he is still in the picture there
    he did win the clubs 1st minor premiership

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    Maybe so but I was under the impression that club was more interested in winning GF's.

Ever since that season they have not really been in the mix for it despite having a pretty handy squad and have definitely under achieved

It was just a gee up

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    I think its well known that players dont come to Magic for the money, they dont seem to win the cash based player tug of wars... im sure Chilli n Bobby present a pretty compelling quality footballing environment motivation to players, they always seem to draw in the top players and develop a very tight group that once in find it very hard to leave.
    How did Magic go against the Mariners Youth yesterday, anyone see it?

Bobby Naumov won a Grand Final for Hamilton and it didnt change his situation with the club... ruthless committee's these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    Bobby Naumov won a Grand Final for Hamilton and it didnt change his situation with the club... ruthless committee's these days.
    Sacked for been 'Too Professional'

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post
    How did Magic go against the Mariners Youth yesterday, anyone see it?
    Finished 0-0. Couple of great saves from both keepers in an up-tempo and fairly good quality match. Was funny to see the likes of Kale & Dino Faj in magic colours just a week after they played their GF for Jaffas.
    It's football, not s***er!!

Quote Originally Posted by lukee_f View Post
    Finished 0-0. Couple of great saves from both keepers in an up-tempo and fairly good quality match. Was funny to see the likes of Kale & Dino Faj in magic colours just a week after they played their GF for Jaffas.
    Was Dennis faj also at magic?'

Remmo declining a jets youth position.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Remmo declining a jets youth position.
    THREE years ago, Luke Remington appeared destined for professional football after scoring a goal to put Australia into the last 16 at the Under-17 World Cup.

But after just one session back with the Newcastle Jets Youth squad last week, the now 20-year-old knew it wasn’t the life he wanted any more.

Cut from the Jets program in August last year, Remington was invited back by coach James Pascoe after an impressive season with Lambton Jaffas in the Northern NSW National Premier League.

Recovering from a dislocated and fractured shoulder, Remington had a fitness/rehabilitation session with the Jets last Tuesday. The following day he called Pascoe to let him know he didn’t want to waste their time by continuing.

‘‘It was definitely not an easy decision,’’ Remington said.

‘‘I just thought, I’m happy where I am now, I’ve had a good season at the Jaffas, and back at the Jets you need a lot of commitment to train four times a week then travel for games on the weekends.

‘‘I’m not sure I want to be there, so I thought it was better to give another player my spot and an opportunity, because they want to be there more than me.

‘‘It wouldn’t be fair on the coaches as well if I went back and wasn’t fully committed.’’

The coming NYL campaign would have been Remington’s last chance to push for a senior contract with the Jets.

Although unusual, Remington’s decision to turn down a shot with the Jets Youth is not a first. Abe Wheelhouse, who played with Adamstown this year, and Edgeworth goalkeeper Jim Fogarty are others in recent years to walk away from the year-round program.

" ‘‘I’m not sure I want to be there, so I thought it was better to give another player my spot.’’ - – LUKE REMINGTON "

Youth contracts are sought-after but players are required to fit work and study around four afternoon training runs and two morning gym sessions a week, as well as games, which are sometimes held interstate.

Players are paid about $200 a week and Remington, who lives at Rathmines and works behind the bar at Wests Leagues Club, said it was difficult to juggle a job and earn an income while in the program.

But for Remington, the decision came down to a lack of desire on the training track.

‘‘I think I started in under12s in representative sides at Macquarie, NSWIS then Australian teams,’’ he said.

‘‘Some people strive to keep going in that environment with all the training. They like to do it, but I just wasn’t feeling it as much any more.

‘‘Having the season off, you realise there’s a lot more things you can do outside of just training pretty much every day of the week.

‘‘You can travel and do other things, and that’s what I’d rather do than continue to train while I’m young.’’

Remington’s only regret in walking away was letting Pascoe down.

‘‘When I got dropped it wasn’t his call, so when he stuck his neck out to get me back in the system, I felt bad not following through.

‘‘But if I went back and didn’t want to be there, it would have been worse.’’

One positive for Remington in the tough decision was that it opened the door for good friend Michael Finlayson to get another chance at the Jets.

Finlayson was let go by the club at the end of the NPL season but has accepted an invite back following Remington’s withdrawal.

‘‘He’s definitely a player who could be a first-team player there for sure, because he had a great season at the Jets,’’ Remington said. ‘‘Every game against us, he’s ripped it. He’s one of my best mates, so it’s good to see him go back.’’

Newcastle have also signed 17-year-old striker Braedyn Crowley to a NYL deal.

Crowley was Northern Fury’s leading goalscorer in the Queensland National Premier League, scoring 17 goals in 24 games.

● In NPL news, Maitland have confirmed the signing of Matt Comerford from Adamstown and the retention of striker Joel Wood.

Bit of a shame the kid doesn't want "it" as he has a fair bit of talent and could have made it further.

Makes you notice the pittance these kids are paid and how it is a priority to get some more funding into the game so these kids can actually earn a decent wage whilst pushing from the Yoof to HAL and not have to choose between football and a real job

Bit of a shame the kid doesn't want "it" as he has a fair bit of talent and could have made it further.

Makes you notice the pittance these kids are paid and how it is a priority to get some more funding into the game so these kids can actually earn a decent wage whilst pushing from the Yoof to HAL and not have to choose between football and a real job
    From the article the choice between 'football and a real job' wasn't the problem.

But for Remington, the decision came down to a lack of desire on the training track.

‘‘I think I started in under12s in representative sides at Macquarie, NSWIS then Australian teams,’’ he said.

‘‘Some people strive to keep going in that environment with all the training. They like to do it, but I just wasn’t feeling it as much any more.

‘‘Having the season off, you realise there’s a lot more things you can do outside of just training pretty much every day of the week.

‘‘You can travel and do other things, and that’s what I’d rather do than continue to train while I’m young.’’

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Disinterested Bystander View Post
    From the article the choice between 'football and a real job' wasn't the problem.
    You give him 40k a year to play Yoof for the Jets then we see how interested he is in with persevering with it??

Maitland have signed matt comerford (Adamstown), Alex read (north Queensland fury), Lucas Gonzalez (from a Sydney NPL club) and have retained Joel Wood.

Maybe so but I was under the impression that club was more interested in winning GF's.

Ever since that season they have not really been in the mix for it despite having a pretty handy squad and have definitely under achieved
    Yeah I'm not sure why he has been given another chance. In the 5 yrs I'm quite sure he has won the minor premiership, lost a gf, and lost 2 preliminary finals.
    That's not really that bad, time will tell next season with the departures.

Quote Originally Posted by Imyourhero View Post
    Maitland have signed Alex read (north Queensland fury)
    They're called Northern Fury now.

Interesting signing. I never really rated him when he was in Newcastle, either for Phoenix or the Jets Youth, but I watched some highlights of him at Fury and he was unbelievable - a goal machine. Has a terrible goal celebration though.
    OK

Banned
    DEMOTED Lake Macquarie are confident of competing for an immediate return to the Northern NSW NPL despite not having a coach in place for 2015.

The Roosters finished last and were relegated this year in the inaugural NPL under Gary Rowe, who told the club almost two months ago he would not return next season. Rowe has since taken the job at now first-division rivals West Wallsend.

Lake Macquarie have been trying to find a replacement, but Hamilton assistant Phil Koina and former Maitland and Adamstown head coach Anthony Richards have rejected approaches.

The Roosters have lost left back Dan Clements to Rosebud and goalkeeper Nathan Archbold to Broadmeadow, but leading goalscorer Sam Walker and captain Tom Walker are among those who have resisted offers from NPL clubs to stay with Lakes.

President Mary Cooper said the club was buoyed by the loyalty of the Walker brothers and other players from this year’s squad.

‘‘We are fortunate that we have players who believe in us and that we can get back up in one year,’’ Cooper said.

‘‘It is difficult finding a coach and we are interested in anyone who wants to be part of the club, although they have to be the right person for the job.’’

Elsewhere, the club who have taken the Roosters’ place in the NPL, Maitland, have signed former North Queensland Fury striker Alex Read.

A former Valentine and Lake Macquarie player, Read has spent the past two seasons in Queensland.

Hamilton have added Central Coast Mariners Youth striker Tom Spencer to their roster. He joins Matt Harper (year off), Simon Mooney (knee reconstruction) and Jesse Cook (Jets Youth) as replacements for keeper Brad Swancott (Jaffas), Dave Hodgson (retired) and James Monie.

Adamstown, who have a trial match against the Mariners Youth side on Sunday at Tuggerah, have added Roger Dowdell (Maitland), Owen Littlewood (Magic) and Jack O’Toole (year off) to the recruitment of Guy Bates, Stuart Musialik and Matt Paul.

Lambton have secured Queenslander and former Jets Youth player Josh Sansucie.

Weston, meanwhile, have called a meeting of all 2014 players tonight after the shock sacking of head coach Steve Piggott on Saturday night.

Piggott steered the Bears to second place and a grand final berth in his first and only year at the helm.

Former head coach Trevor Morris is tipped to take over and will address the players tonight.

Banned
    Yeah I'm not sure why he has been given another chance. In the 5 yrs I'm quite sure he has won the minor premiership, lost a gf, and lost 2 preliminary finals.
    That's not really that bad, time will tell next season with the departures.
    For most clubs that wouldn't be a bad return. For a club who is as ambitious as Olympic and has the resources they do you could argue it is a very meagre return