Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans rep committee (discussion allowed) thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    To an extent while the club has to want it to work, the quality of the fan who put themselves up for nomination, and their motives, also will play a huge part.

My only worry is how do you find people who represent everyone. OK, the squadron is the easy part and you guys in reality should be able to nominate a representative.

If it turns into a committee of 6 people representing only their own (and their immediate mates) self interest it will fail. There needs to be a mechanism whereby whoever steps up, can be contacted by the "major stakeholder group" they supposedly represent and actually provide relevant feedback. The club could do this by giving a page on the website with a short blurb about each person and how to contact them (club email perhaps, no need for a phone number?). Honestly, if a person who steps up isn't willing to be contactable by someone who wants to raise an issue, then they shouldn't be there as they don't represent anyone but themselves and anything they offer won't be representative of the wider cross section of the crowd and members.
    Hear Hear.
    Go jetties

From discussion with the club, I understand that people will be sought across a cross section of fans to provide a wide variety of opinion.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    From discussion with the club, I understand that people will be sought across a cross section of fans to provide a wide variety of opinion.
    Sounds like an early episode of South park.

Where's Mr Hanky?

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Good.

And what sammydog said.

Fan reps need to be able to be contacted by the fans they represent.

The communication line needs to be......
    Fan --> fan rep --> club.

Not

Fan --> club --> fan rep

Otherwise it just becomes nothing but a focus group with the club dictating the issues
    Last edited by GazFish35; 02-09-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Good.

And what swamy said.

Fan reps need to be able to be contacted by the fans they represent.

The communication line needs to be......
    Fan --> fan rep --> club.

Not

Fan --> club --> fan rep

Otherwise it just becomes nothing but a focus group with the club dictating the issues
    Thats exactly it. If it is Fan >> Club >> Rep, there may be a perception (whether it happens or not) that issues are filtered by the club. While I am OK with the club bringing issues to the table, the fan reps need to be able to bring stuff in from their supposed constituents. I think fans need to feel like they can put there issue to a rep and feel its going to be heard, rather then submit it to the club and hope it makes the agenda.

It is going to be nothing but a focus group with club dictating issues based on what they think will sell further memberships and match day tickets.

I look forward to talking to someone who was at the meeting and then reading the minutes the club decide suit their requirements.

1, 2 meetings tops.
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I look forward to talking to someone who was at the meeting and then reading the minutes the club decide suit their requirements.

Absolutely. Any major discrepancies will only reflect poorly on the club.

So is anyone throwing their name in the ring? I am considering it.

I'm planning to.

Am considering it too. Would push for a return to the gold of when we were actually winning shit.

Beside that, first thing to push for is for a maximum length the members can serve on the committee for. Maybe a senate type arrangement where half are only appointed for the first year, then go to reselection for a new 2 year term, while the other 3 serve their 2 years, then reselection etc. Shouldn't become a monopoly for a few people to control for a long time.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

I am thinking about it too

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Am considering it too. Would push for a return to the gold of when we were actually winning shit.

Beside that, first thing to push for is for a maximum length the members can serve on the committee for. Maybe a senate type arrangement where half are only appointed for the first year, then go to reselection for a new 2 year term, while the other 3 serve their 2 years, then reselection etc. Shouldn't become a monopoly for a few people to control for a long time.
    **** the gold.

E and C all the way

To an extent while the club has to want it to work, the quality of the fan who put themselves up for nomination, and their motives, also will play a huge part.

My only worry is how do you find people who represent everyone. OK, the squadron is the easy part and you guys in reality should be able to nominate a representative.

If it turns into a committee of 6 people representing only their own (and their immediate mates) self interest it will fail. There needs to be a mechanism whereby whoever steps up, can be contacted by the "major stakeholder group" they supposedly represent and actually provide relevant feedback. The club could do this by giving a page on the website with a short blurb about each person and how to contact them (club email perhaps, no need for a phone number?). Honestly, if a person who steps up isn't willing to be contactable by someone who wants to raise an issue, then they shouldn't be there as they don't represent anyone but themselves and anything they offer won't be representative of the wider cross section of the crowd and members.
    It would be good if people could state in their applications what section of supporters they are representing (Gold Members, Supporters with disability, female supporters, family supporters, active supporters etc) and those committee members do a good job of representing that section.

Gaz, do you know what the breakdown of the arsenal committee is? Do they have permanent classes of supporter on their committee?

Even if the club has a superficial view of this, it is a really good initiative that has to be grasped with both hands by supporters. If it functions well in the first year, and with a likely takeover looming in the future, it could become something that the new owner would not think of but takes on as a legacy, and help fastrack their understanding of the local football culture.

We need a long term view of it, not thinking that people can go in and shake things up and tell management what we really think of them.
    Last edited by hausmann; 03-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.

I'm planning to.
    As am I
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post
    Gaz, do you know what the breakdown of the arsenal committee is? Do they have permanent classes of supporter on their committee?

http://www.arsenal.com/fanzone/supporters-forum

16-21 Yr Old Representative
    Arsenal Supporters' Club - Domestic (offical supporters clubs)
    Arsenal Supporters' Club - Overseas (offical supporters clubs)
    AISA Representative - Arsenal Independent Supporters Association (unoffical supporters clubs)
    Disabled Supporter
    Club Level
    Family Enclosure
    Gold Member
    Red Member
    Executive Box
    Ethnic Minority Representative
    Gay Supporter Representative
    RedAction Member (the "active" area)
    Shareholder
    Away Scheme Member
    AST Member (arsenal supporters trust - a group trying to support fans in becoming shareholders)

this committe was used heavily to assist the club in its transition from highbury to the Emirates and were largely responsible for the CEO's actions regarding what the club called "the arsenalistion" of the emirates taking it froma bare concrete and steel stadium to something that felt like the home ground of a club.

they acheived such symbolic happenings such as the Emirates areas being renamed from "block 32, Block 33, block 34" etc to The North bank, they had the clock from the the "clock end" reintroduced and the east and West Stands were named as such..... massive decisions the club were apparently set to ignore.

the team of legends linked arm in arm around the stadium also was derived from these meetings.
    it helped smmoth out a lot of tension surrounding the move away from Highbury.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 03-09-2014 at 11:39 AM.

I'm planning to.
    I'm not .... looks like there's plenty of potential good representation from you guys already.
    Always ready and keen to offer opinions and assist where possible. (usually in a pub somewhere )

the more people who express interest the better IMO.

if they receive a large amount of interest they will see that the fans are serious about wnating the club to grow and develop

Have thrown my name in the ring.

I agree with Gaz. The more people that make a submission the better. I hope someone from this forum is selected because it is an excellent medium to engage with the supporter base. If not, I hope one of the 4 people selected embrace it.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I agree with Gaz. The more people that make a submission the better.
    Agreed. The only problem is I'm already stretched year round with junior football club stuff. I think I'd get kicked out of the house if I volunteered myself any further.

Quote Originally Posted by stormypete View Post
    Agreed. The only problem is I'm already stretched year round with junior football club stuff. I think I'd get kicked out of the house if I volunteered myself any further.
    That's fair Pete. Did you renew the same seats as last year, by the way?