Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans rep committee (discussion allowed) thread.

Weekly designated Fan open training.

I know folk can just rock up and watch training as it is, however it isn't well advertised where, when, what etc.

If once a week, preferably on a day like a wednesday/thursday prior to the weekend game, and perferably at a set time, the club encourage fans to come down to whatever session falls on that day, sends out an email to members, encourages fans to show up.

Play off whatever the game is, if its a F3 derby make a deal of it through this as part of the lead up etc.

Let the fans know that a) They are welcome, and b) wanted
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post

I know folk can just rock up and watch training as it is, however it isn't well advertised where, when, what etc.

If once a week, preferably on a day like a wednesday/thursday prior to the weekend game, and perferably at a set time, the club encourage fans to come down to whatever session falls on that day, sends out an email to members, encourages fans to show up.

Play off whatever the game is, if its a F3 derby make a deal of it through this as part of the lead up etc.

I really like that idea Blackmac. There were times last year is have enjoyed going to watch nobody knew when it was on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I really like that idea Blackmac. There were times last year is have enjoyed going to watch nobody knew when it was on.
    That never happened on Nev's watch!
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Plague - check your PM's

I would like to propose that every member of the backroom stuff be made to read fever pitch over and over until they ****ing get it.
    Go jetties

I would like to propose that every member of the backroom stuff be made to read fever pitch over and over until they ****ing get it.
    Ill raise. I sent a copy to Jeff Corbett and Robert Dillon once!

Hi Guys,

Is the sub-committee making yourselves know to David Gallop yet? You are best placed to represent fans in this early stage.

He needs to know that supporters should be included in every decision they make. He needs to know that he need not be afraid of Jets supporters, like we are some group of thugs that need decisions made on our behalf.

In my experience, when there is a power vacuum like this, people love to rush in to push their own agendas. People who have never stood up to take responsibility before. People who represent the "business community" and the "football community" will be rushing in to give their two cents.

What the FFA need is to have a clear line of communication to Jets supporters so that they aren't blindsided by personal interest.
    Last edited by tha_hauss; 21-05-2015 at 01:58 PM.

should still do this. bring 6 pack of course

Quote Originally Posted by tha_hauss View Post
    Hi Guys,

Is the sub-committee making yourselves know to David Gallop yet? You are best placed to represent fans in this early stage.

He needs to know that supporters should be included in every decision they make. He needs to know that he need not be afraid of Jets supporters, like we are some group of thugs that need decisions made on our behalf.

In my experience, when there is a power vacuum like this, people love to rush in to push their own agendas. People who have never stood up to take responsibility before. People who represent the "business community" and the "football community" will be rushing in to give their two cents.

What the FFA need is to have a clear line of communication to Jets supporters so that they aren't blindsided by personal interest.
    yes.
    de Bohun too.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 21-05-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    yes.
    de Bohun too.
    awesome. You are obviously a good "sub"-committee then.

Good to see they are actively engaging with the members as they said they would do, after all in the FFA's words they are the "core", just not important enough to include in decisions like club name, colours etc, FFA's PR department has got that covered, now just sit down pay your cash and remember we engaged with you in these decisions.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

have been in contact with Murphy and spoken to Brooke Cousins - all positive

Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post
    Having said that, there is one thing that I'd like to raise with the committee because if Tinkler is stripped of the license, I think you should be prepared to play a role in communicating with David Gallop for the transition to new ownership. You are a formal structure that he should respect.

It needs to be understood why the Newcastle flagship team keeps having financial and management problems. If Gallop can't verbalise what the issue is, then history will just repeat, and repeat. We have to get it right this time. And I think Gallop is the type of guy who would be willing to listen and cooperate.

IMO, the financial side is due to:
    1. Lack of an innovative approach to ownership. We have tried community ownership and failed because its undercapitalised and unprofessional, we have tried rich tycoon ownership and failed because its too susceptible to whimsical decision making. We need a model that incorporates both. A rich owner or ownership group to ensure decisive action and supporter ownership so that the main owners (and CEO and management) take supporters seriously so they don't get all arrogant and think they can ignore the community. A broad ownership base (as opposed to membership base) encourages good corporate governance.
    2. Lack of sponsorship.

There are two facets to this - one is small business sponsorship - corporate boxes, advertising and the like, the other is major sponsorship. It appears that the lack of small business sponsorship comes from a lack of trust in the owner/corporate governance. I regularly heard, "I'm not giving my money to Con/Tinkler because I don't trust him." Good corporate governance will help rectify this.

The lack of major sponsorship, I believe, is due to a structural problem in our community. Our dominant industries are coal, building, health, government, education and none of these have need to advertise. So sponsorship has to either be an act of philanthropy, or we need to make the Newcastle Jets brand something that is so appealing to major consumer markets that big brands see the value of placing their brand on the Jets strip. I think the later approach is likely to be more successful, mainly because it can be sustainable, whereas philanthropy funds can just be cut.

I also believe that from both Con and Tinkler, there was a short term outlook toward major sponsorship. "Our front of shirt is worth this much per year. Take it or leave it." It was never about building branding synergy over many years. And that's the kind of thing sponsors like. Both guys would have rejected under-valued sponsorships but if they selected the right sponsor they could have taken less money now but built the value up over time through good sponsor relations.

The advantage that Newcastle has over any other A-League club is that our supporter base includes mainstream novocastrians from all walks of life. We aren't a migrant curiosity. We have a rich history from Minmi Rangers of 1886 to Reg Date to Craig Johnstone that appeals to the mainstream. And the advantage of this is that we can take ownership of all of it as part of the Novocastrian spirit. This richness is something that no other A-League team has. This all needs to be tied together so that mainstream people from all Australian cities feel something toward the Jets, and like to watch them. Because advertisers love mainstream appeal. They also like to tap into culture and history, so if Carlsberg, for example, likes us because we have our own unique version of football history, linked into Liverpool via Craig Johnstone, then this could really work.

Do you notice how Football pundits and administrators love saying that Newcastle has a strong football history from the Newcastle coalfields. It's a romantic story. I don't hear them say that when talking about any other A-League club and we should take advantage of it.

That is where the Supporters Committee can do some really valuable work. You can help create and promote this attractive myth. Work out ways that this myth is cultivated. But it also has to be kept in mind that it is something that has broad appeal, Like Més que un club has amongst Spaniards and all people generally, because it makes them feel that they can belong to that spirit. It can't be a "We're Novocastrian, you're not" kind of thing.

I know that this is nebulous stuff, but man, if we could nut this out and get in the ear of David Gallop, we could have ourselves a great and sustainable club for the first time in our history.

This guy knew what he was talking about. Now that Tinkler has gone, it is maybe even more important that we hear from David Gallop on how to specifically tackle the Major Sponsorship problem, once and for all.

We are meeting with club and FFA tonight - about prepping for forums.

One question I'd like people's thoughts on..... And I know what I think already......

Is one forum for members, and one for fans enough?

And where should they be held?

I'm thinking - and have raised this at the previous meeting - that there needs to be one in port Stephens, lake Macquarie, maitland, and newcastle.

Thoughts?

Also, griff should be there.

One question I'd like people's thoughts on..... And I know what I think already......

I'm thinking - and have raised this at the previous meeting - that there needs to be one in port Stephens, lake Macquarie, maitland, and newcastle.

Thoughts?

agreed. if they are serious about connecting with the region as a whole, they need to host a few sessions in different places. if they can't do a full session, have a few representatives sit out the front of a few supermarkets on a weekend and get some feedback.

Thoughts?

no one is not enough and i don't think there should be a split of members and fans. it should be an open forum of the 2. most fans are either previous members or can't afford membership

they should be held at known football supporting venues i.e. weston workers club, The Duke, etc.

griff, local players and the new coach should be present.

they should get Aaron Kearney to chair and monitor the meetings as well, he is perfect for the job and did fantastic work when we had the active supporters forum a couple of years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

I would just like to point out that there is only one supporters forum - the members one.
    The first forum is for business people, that list forum is for NNSWFF people (club officials, ref's, etc)

There most definately should be an open supporters forum, something I will be mentioning in the squadron & sub committee meetings with the club this afternoon.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Kearney may not be available as he is between here and PNG (I think) setting up an ABC affiliate station

We have another committee meeting on july13

Anything people would like raised?

As a committee we are able to put three times on the agenda.

Community Ownership.
    Go jetties