Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup Thread

2014 World Cup Thread

With the official ball and pots announced, with the draw this Saturday, I think its time to create a World Cup thread

I quite like the new ball:

And the following are the pots:
    Pot 1 (top eight seeds): Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Switzerland, Uruguay

Pot 2: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ecuador

Pot 3: Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras

Pot 4: Bosnia, Croatia, England, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, France

Obviously they are a quality side, But how do the 5th placed South American side get seeded above the 3rd & 4th placed South American sides as well as being seeded above the likes of Netherlands, Italy, England & Croatia?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Are you talking about Colombia?
    They are my dark horse for the World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Obviously they are a quality side, But how do the 5th placed South American side get seeded above the 3rd & 4th placed South American sides as well as being seeded above the likes of Netherlands, Italy, England & Croatia?
    Because when the line in the sand was drawn by FIFA some months ago (October I think), they were in a seeded position based on their world ranking.

Banned
    The whole thing is a farce with the rules and permutations put in to protect the bigger sides getting through.

Draw the thing out of a hat so you can get a group of

Spain Brazil Argentina Germany

or

Australia Honduras Greece Iran

etc

The BS with the seeds is a joke when a country like Holland missed out on a seed cause they chose to play a friendly game against Indonesia yet Switzerland who chose to play minimal friendlies ended up so high.

Hello Mr Blatters touch

Almost bit that one.

Carn 'straya etc!

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    Are you talking about Colombia?
    They are my dark horse for the World Cup
    No Uruguay its a joke Chile and Ecuador clearly finished above them in qualifying. FFS if Brazil were not the host nation you would of expected them to finish above Uruguay in the qualifiers and Uruguay would of missed out on qualification yet they get seeded. Only FIFA could of came up with this logic
    I'M GULLIBLE!

FIFA's complex 2014 World Cup draw causes confusion as teams fear tropical placements

FIFA has revealed the new and complicated procedure to be implemented for Saturday's (AEDT) World Cup draw, which will determine which teams comprise the eight first-round groups for the 2014 showpiece.

The announcement of this system has been met with some confusion, with great emphasis being put on maintaining the geographical balance of the draw.

General secretary Jerome Valcke admitted that the procedure is less than straightforward, as questions continue to be asked of Brazil's preparedness to host next year's event.

"It's not easy to understand it the first time, I agree with you," he said.

"It took me a long time to make sure I had the right explanation."

Pot 1 (seeds):
    Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland.

Pot 2: Chile, Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon.

Pot 3: USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia.

Pot 4: Holland, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Bosnia, Croatia, Russia, France

Pot 1 contains the top eight seeds for the tournament, namely hosts Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Germany, Spain, Belgium and Switzerland.

Pot 2 features the five African teams to qualify - Ghana, Ivory Coast, Algeria, Nigeria and Cameroon - as well as the remaining non-seeded South American teams Chile and Ecuador.

At present, Pot 2 only contains seven teams, with the final spot to be filled by a European team from Pot 4 in a bizarre pre-draw.

Pot 3 consists of the Asian qualifiers Australia, Japan, Iran and South Korea as well as the rest of the American nations, United States, Mexico, Costa Rica and Honduras.

Nine European sides - Bosnia, England, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia and France - make up Pot 4, with one of these teams to be pre-drawn into Pot 2.

Climate issues no concern to Blatter

While the rest of the world attempts to make sense of FIFA's latest announcement, president Sepp Blatter has stood by the decision to play matches at midday in the tropical venues, despite concerns for player welfare.

In an attempt to maximise European television exposure, a series of group stage games between June 12 and June 22 will be played at 1:00pm local time. In north-eastern cities such as Fortaleza, Natal, Salvador and Recife, these early matches will be contested in extreme heat and humidity.

In contrast, matches played in the southernmost regions of Brazil, such as Porto Alegre, will be in wintry cold temperatures. Unenviably, the team drawn in Group E's third spot - possibly Australia - will travel straight to the heat of Salvador from the cool of Porto Alegre for its first two group matches.

Despite claims that success in the 2014 tournament could be determined by which nations can best avoid the harsh Brazilian elements, Blatter has stood by the fixturing decisions.

"We're sticking with the kick-off times, they have been decided, there is no change," he said.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-0...?section=sport

Well that clears up everything
    I'M GULLIBLE!

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    How the **** are Switzerland seeded?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    I have a very strong opinion on this, but I'll stay neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    I'll hold my judgements on this until member misses the pun
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Good qualifying results,Minimal friendly games played and pretty successful at what they did play knocking over Brazil who are ranked high which helped their cause

On the other hand Netherlands have a great WC pedigree were pretty great in Qualifying and played more friendlies. One friendly in particular hurt as they played Indonesia probably due to old school politics from back in the day that it was a Dutch Colony. As Indonesia are ranked poorly it effected the points Netherlands got for it. If they hadn't of played this game they would be a seed.

Even Italy got screwed cause they chose to play a match against lowly San Marino which hammered them.

Basically teams have been punished for playing friendlies(regardless of result) against the lesser nations. Whilst others have profited by not playing many friendlies and playing against the big boys

Go figure how they come to this conclusion

What is also crap about this draw is possible future powers ie USA Japan African nations etc are being held back with tough draws due to the way it is rigged to preserve the elite Euro/Sth American nations from rough draws.

Don't even get me started on the BS about games kicking off for Euro TV. FFS It is Sth Americas WC

Stay up late you soft Euro twats

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

ESPN.com has a group generator and all of them I've done are horrific for Australia. Which is good because, you know, we are shit.
    Not quite sure what the fuss is about. I don't ever really remember a country winning the World Cup by getting a lucky draw. Pretty sure you have to be really good and beat other really good teams.
    Could be wrong though.
    Also, everyone knows FIFA have trademarked the phrase 'group of death'. Every time someone uses it they have to pay Sepp a couple of bucks. The more tough groups the better for the coffers.
    True story look it up its on the internet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    ESPN.com has a group generator and all of them I've done are horrific for Australia. Which is good because, you know, we are shit.
    Not quite sure what the fuss is about. I don't ever really remember a country winning the World Cup by getting a lucky draw. Pretty sure you have to be really good and beat other really good teams.
    Could be wrong though.
    Also, everyone knows FIFA have trademarked the phrase 'group of death'. Every time someone uses it they have to pay Sepp a couple of bucks. The more tough groups the better for the coffers.
    True story look it up its on the internet.
    I actually couldn't give two ****s who we get.

A soft draw and good results will only paper over the cracks of the Socceroos issues.

Much rather we got a shit draw put up some noble performances before succumbing to the likes of Spain Argies Porkos Italy Etc. Either that or get arse raped on the world stage so we can have a good solid look at what isn't right with the game in this country to move us forward long term

On another note I am more interested in where we play.

Don't want games in Rio as it will cost more in accommodation and I am going there anyways. Don't want the opening game V Brazil as tickets harder to get and also about $300 dearer, Don't particularly want some back and forth travel plan the equivalent of Sydney>> Perth>>Wellington>>Darwin etc and hopefully get the next games reasonable close to the last cities

Would ideally like our last/first games in Belo Horizante/Sao Paulo as it will cut out the expense of a overpriced flight as these can be driven to/from Rio and also would love to get some games in the Fortaleza/Natal/Reciffe area as it would open up the possibility of taken in games at these cities which are pretty close on the days Socceroos don't play

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

On another note I am more interested in where we play.

Don't want games in Rio as it will cost more in accommodation and I am going there anyways. Don't want the opening game V Brazil as tickets harder to get and also about $300 dearer, Don't particularly want some back and forth travel plan the equivalent of Sydney>> Perth>>Wellington>>Darwin etc and hopefully get the next games reasonable close to the last cities

Would ideally like our last/first games in Belo Horizante/Sao Paulo as it will cut out the expense of a overpriced flight as these can be driven to/from Rio and also would love to get some games in the Fortaleza/Natal/Reciffe area as it would open up the possibility of taken in games at these cities which are pretty close on the days Socceroos don't play
    You realise that for a fee Sepp will give you exactly what you want.

To be fair, it is a BIG fee

Banned
    With what ??

You do realise that this bloke and his piss poor administration have bled myself dry and will continue to bleed everyone dry who is going??

The set up of the groups is a joke when he has you flying 3-4 hours between host cities cause you can't bus/drive due to distance and what makes it even more of a farce is the routes are not really being covered with an increased number of flights. Would have made more sense to have teams based in little corners of Brazil but not these dumb ****s.

When the bloke retires HSG should give him a job as he would fit in well at Newy

Add into the fact most of the cities are poorly equipped to handle the tens of thousands of tourists it makes you wonder how they got the WC. Other than the fact no one bid

For instance Rio De Janiero has accommodation Hotels/B&b's etc for 40k. Where the rest of them will be sleeping come WC Final time is beyond me (Maracana seats 76k and I am sure there will be a few tourists in Rio without tickets) . God help them when the Olympics are on in 2 years time there and that whole shebang is all in the one city. will be a cluster**** of epic proportions

Switzerland a high world ranking, very strong qualification... Why shouldn't they be.....
    Amigos Aarau