Page 39 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/22...grade/?cs=2439
    THE LOWEDOWN: A-League or b-grade
    By DAVID LOWE
    April 14, 2014, 10:45 p.m.

TO save some work I really should keep a copy of my columns, particularly the ones that have followed the final round of the regular season, because let's be honest, it's a familiar story, isn't it?

For the fourth season in succession the Jets finished outside the top six, there would be a string of sevens next to their name in the form guide if they were racehorses, and a roller-coaster season came to a regulation - some would argue premature - end.

As Mark Bosnich and Robbie Slater are fond of reminding us: "The table doesn't lie." After 27 rounds, and despite several significant victories, the Jets haven't been consistent enough to make the finals.

Everyone will have a theory, the club will no doubt conduct an internal review, the experts will dissect the pros and cons, but I'm not convinced that anyone is too devastated by the events of the season.

Lots of what ifs, and we can beat anyones, a Golden Boot for Adam Taggart, a good victory to end the season, a fitting send-off for Michael Bridges, and we can all wander home reasonably happy, remarking wistfully "there's always next year".

And so there is, and not just for the Jets. But, in my opinion, it's that kind of attitude that pervades the A-League and, contrary to popular belief, isn't leading to improvement season by season.

Who would be willing to argue that the Wanderers, Mariners, Victory and Sydney FC are noticeably stronger, if any stronger at all, than they were last season?

Brisbane Roar have won the Premiers Plate by 10 points but have looked vulnerable to teams with discipline, organisation and pace on the break.

I enjoy watching them in full flight, but they are by no means untouchable.

Fox Sports commentator Andy Harper is a fan, but he answered my recent question - can Brisbane win the title if Thomas Broich is injured - with "probably not", which says a lot about the German's quality and just as much about the myth of system, style and structures.

Are Brisbane as good as two or three seasons ago?

Adelaide have improved, but is that because they have learned a system, or because a talented side and their coach have adapted and modified their playing style? Do they have the grunt and desire to complement their skill and win a title?

Would the current Adelaide side have beaten John Kosmina's team that included Travis Dodd, Fernando Rech, Ange Costanzo and co. from the A-League's formative years? Irrelevant, you might say, and unprovable, and that may be true, but it is relevant if we are to believe all the messages about improvement.

Melbourne Victory may yet go on to win this year's championship, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that their current side, playing with structure, set rotations and false No.9s, would have lived with the title-winning sides that featured a flying Archie Thompson, Danny Allsopp, Kevin Muscat himself, and the enigmatic Brazilian, Fred, to name a few.

Point being, that with no relegation or promotion there are not too many consequences for mediocre seasons, poor management, poor planning and such - except perhaps for a slight drop in the number of bums on seats.

Are we all happy with a league where every team can beat every other side without too much of a shock? The Mariners and the Victory, who finished third and fourth, both have negative goal differences, the Jets' was zero, and the Heart's, who finished last, was all of minus six.

The Jets have proven they could beat almost any side, anywhere, except Perth unfortunately and tellingly, and I'd back the last-placed Heart with real confidence against anyone if the games were played over 60 minutes, rather than 90.

While the salary cap ensures the sustainability of clubs, does it do so at the expense of improving the top level achievable in our domestic competition?

It's good for fantasy team managers and ensuring that nearly all teams are engaged in the playoff hunt until round 25 or 26, but has it made the standard better?

Believe it or not, I'm not old enough to remember the St George rugby league team that won 11 premierships in a row, but I wonder did everyone get bored with that, or did they drive opponents to improve and catch up? You'd hope it was the latter.

Competing with Barcelona and Real Madrid cannot have been easy over the past decade, but Atletico Madrid have lifted themselves to the semi-finals of the Champions League and the cusp of the league championship because they had to raise their level to compete.

Would it be so bad to have a big-spending team to loathe and berate, from this day forth until death do us part? Someone to sneer at, disrespect at every opportunity, who a victory against would provide the greatest thrill and joy of a season.

If that team were to be near unbeatable would it be so bad? Bayern Munich (reserves) lost their first game since the Royal bub was a twinkle in William's eye the other day, but there is nothing but admiration for their football.

When Sergio Aguero scored that famous late goal for Manchester City, and ended 41 years of trophy-less seasons, many rejoiced for them, but more still rejoiced in the fact that they had denied Manchester United in Fergie-time.

Is top-flight football the domain of sage financial sustainability and an even spread of talent, or of the most powerful clubs harnessing as much playing quality as they can muster, and saying to the opposition "see what you can do to compete"?

So back to the Jets, in particular, and a relatively blank canvas.

What is the strategy? Who is going to steer it? Is the car still in the garage waiting for a driver while others are way down the road with their plans for next season, and beyond.

Has Clayton Zane done enough to retain the job? If he doesn't, why will the next appointment be theoretically better?

The Jets are apparently going through a process to find the best candidate, but surely they should know by now?

Zane, to me, and I hope this doesn't sign his certificate of expulsion, has done a pretty decent job in terms of the football the Jets have played.

Would he be a better coach if Sydney had fallen over against Perth, and the Jets had then defied history and sneaked a win in a semi-final at Gosford against the Mariners?

I think we know the answer to that, but if that scenario had unfolded, we might be hailing him as some sort of messiah.

Whoever gets the coaching gig is starting behind the eight ball in terms of recruiting from the domestic talent pools.

Most players are now contracted for the upcoming year and beyond so if, as we expect, between five and seven players depart the club for a variety of reasons, the Jets are going to have to find some real overseas talent to make a telling difference.

It's a time for reflection, analysis, and yet always of hope. Will anything change, though, or will the fans just be happy to go to games in a largely jovial, convivial atmosphere, and have a pretty competitive mid-table team?

The time of due process has surely expired. Decisions need to be made now, hopefully for the right reasons, unhindered, or unaffected too much by financial considerations.

The hardcore will still turn up. Surely it's time to reward their loyalty with improvement in all aspects of the football club.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    makes some good points about the jets but there's also some serious shit talk when it comes to the development of the league.

it's like he went off on some different tangent and then realised he did so and had to wrap it all up somehow.

onya, lowey.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

That's pretty much how all his articles go though, isn't it? He makes some good points but they are all over the shop, some never quite fleshed out and some just completely irrelevant to the rest of the article entirely.

Also I don't believe he has mentioned that for the first time ever, all three Australian clubs competing in the ACL look likely to progress through the group stage.

I usually like Lowey's articles, and while I agree with some parts of that one I struggle to subscribe fully to it, particularly about the stuff not related to the Jerks, TBH.
    OK

Adelaide United FC is pleased to officially announce that Coach Josep Gombau has agreed to terms to extend his contract with the Reds until the 2016/17 Hyundai A-League season.

Gombau’s 2-year extension, which was finalised earlier today, comes on the cusp of the Reds’ participation in the 2013/14 finals series, is a clear message from the Adelaide United hierarchy of the regard held for the former Academy Coach at the Catalan giants, Barcelona.

Since Gombau commenced his tenure last year in mid-July, Adelaide United has being playing a style of football that has caught the attention of the entire A-League. He has also won the hearts of all football fans around the country, through his passion and commitment to the game.

Recently, the Spaniard was voted to lead the FOXTEL All Stars against Juventus at ANZ Stadium on 10 August 2014.

Adelaide United Chairman Greg Griffin stated that the club is clearly delighted to secure the services of Josep and his team with an extension of 2-years which will take him to the end 2016/17 Hyundai A-League season.

“This contract extension gives Josep and the club the opportunity to consolidate and build upon the work already undertaken this season. The entire playing squad and support staff have embraced the desire for Josep to extend his terms at the Adelaide United Football Club.”

Having brought his style of football to the Reds, Josep Gombau has expressed his delight for the extension.

“To make this project work, we need time, and with this time we will be able to produce and achieve this style of football.

“I want to say thank you to the club and to the fans for having confidence in me.

“This extension is also part of my players and I want to share this extension with them.

“I would also like to say thank you for the support to myself and my family, as we are very happy in Adelaide and are grateful to stay for another 3-years.”

The focus now turns to the Reds upcoming Sudden Death Final on Saturday night. The squad will depart tomorrow afternoon for Gosford, where they will take on Central Coast Mariners at Central Coast Stadium. Kick-Off is at 4.00pm ACDT.
    Good news for honorary pissants like me.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    wouldn't be surprised if he's been sacked by this time next year
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    wouldn't be surprised if he's been sacked by this time next year
    Agree the bloke is over rated. FFS one or 2 moments they created last Friday and the rest of the time they offered **** all.

Almost like watching gve and his shit

Wellington have signed Sunderland’s reserve team captain Spaniard Alejandro Gorrin. Looks to be a decent player.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...midfield/89911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6T5Fo7Gs_Y#t=113

Isn't bridges meant to be our version of greenacre with all his contacts in England.

Quote Originally Posted by OmeletteDuFromage View Post
    Wellington have signed Sunderland’s reserve team captain Spaniard Alejandro Gorrin. Looks to be a decent player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6T5Fo7Gs_Y#t=113
    gotta check the goal at 2.01

also since when do hard nutter poms need an u21 premier league. getem in to the seniors or ressies

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    gotta check the goal at 2.01

also since when do hard nutter poms need an u21 premier league. getem in to the seniors or ressies
    yeah, thats alejandro at 2:01

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Isn't bridges meant to be our version of greenacre with all his contacts in England.
    lol, something like that. Despite playing at the highest level in England for years at several clubs, I'm pretty sure the only thing he's ever done for us is give Harry a call.

Remo in.

(In case anyone mentions it, Bridges and Heskey didn't even know each other before Heskey came here)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Banned
    Didn't they play England yoof team back in the day together???
    Hardly makes them close though

Keep bashing bridges coz it saves me having to

Bloody hell

http://www.whufc.com/articles/201404...236884_3774196

West Ham United announce the sad news that forward Dylan Tombides has passed away at the age of 20 following his brave battle with cancer.
    Dylan passed away on Friday morning with his family by his side having courageously fought the disease for three years after initially being diagnosed with testicular cancer in summer 2011.

He remained a regular visitor to Chadwell Heath throughout his treatment and his positive attitude and professional approach to his football and training always impressed and boosted his team-mates and coaches alike.

Dylan's amazing resilience and positivity saw him through months of surgery and chemotherapy, while his outstanding talent saw him make his first-team debut in a League Cup tie with Wigan Athletic at the Boleyn Ground in September 2012.

Away from the pitch, Dylan did a huge amount of work to raise awareness of male cancer, supporting the One for the Boys campaign at a number of high-profile events alongside the likes of Hollywood star Samuel L. Jackson, snooker star Jimmy White and fellow Australian Peter Andre.

Dylan was respected by everyone who knew him for his intelligent views on the game and his larger than life character. He was a loving son, amazing brother and well-respected member of the West Ham squad. He will be hugely missed by everyone who had the honour of knowing him.

His passing will be marked by a minute's applause ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League fixture with Crystal Palace at the Boleyn Ground. The Hammers' players will also wear black armbands in his memory.

The thoughts of everyone associated with the Club are with his parents Tracylee and Jim, brother Taylor, his family and friends at this sad time. The Club request that their privacy is now respected and they are allowed to grieve their much loved son and brother in peace.

Wait, seriously?!

That's horrible news
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Was just a few months ago that he was back in the U20 side looking to resurrect his national team ambitions. ****ing hell

^ That's exactly what I remember reading, that he had just started making his comeback at West Ham this season following his recovery.

Huge, huge shock.
    What an outstanding talent he was at that U17 tournament, and more importantly he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

sooo sad and sooo bloody young

I thought he was on the mend aswell. I thought he had beaten it. rip.

Very sad day for Australian football. I, like so many others, have followed his young career and health battles and there will be many with sad souls today.