Page 17 of 129 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

lol we are so shit

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets have signed Socceroo David Carney for the remainder of the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League season.

Carney joins the Jets after most recently playing for New York Red Bulls in Major League Soccer (MLS) in the United States.

The versatile 30-year-old, who has been capped 48 times for the Australian national team, said he was excited to be returning to the Hyundai A-League to play with the Jets.

“I’m very happy to have signed with Newcastle and I’m really looking forward to getting out on the pitch and playing some games,” Carney said.

“I’ve got a lot of hunger to do well for this Club and my main focus is to work hard and make a positive impact.

“I’ve had a little bit of a break since the MLS playoffs finished and now I’m ready to get back into it, help the team finish the season strongly and hopefully qualify for the finals.”

Carney last played in the Hyundai A-League for Sydney FC, making 38 appearances for the Sky Blues and scoring seven goals.

The Macarthur Rams junior then had stints in England with Sheffield United and Norwich City, before switching to Dutch side FC Twente, whom he won the Eredivisie title with in 2009/10.

Carney returned to England for the 2010/11 season, making 11 appearances for English Premier League outfit Blackpool.

Stints at Spanish second-division club AD Alcorcon and Uzbekistan’s Bunyodkor followed, before Carney linked-up with fellow Socceroo Tim Cahill in New York.

Newcastle’s interim head coach Clayton Zane said the signing of Carney was a fantastic addition to Jets’ squad.

“We’re very pleased to have signed a player of David’s calibre,” Zane said.

“He’s played at the highest level for Club and country and he’ll bring a wealth of experience and leadership to the team.

“You’re always looking for natural lefties and David’s a versatile footballer who can play anywhere down the left flank, which is great for the balance of squad.”

Carney will commence training with his Newcastle teammates at Ray Watt Oval on Tuesday morning.
    And he signs.

Do we have his ITC?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Do we have his ITC?

Nope so no doubt the Jets are already flogg'n Carney shirts.

no I dont think an ITC is needed as he is a free agent. NYRB contract was over, however worst case is the MLS sends an ITC through. As there is no contract dispute or anything I cant imagine there being any issues.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

No issues, except his ball watching.

Banned
    Any ideas on his levels of fitness??

Not knocking the signing of Griffo but it is a shame we are still waiting on him to get fitness levels up to a level needed to play 90 mins in the HAL

Carney's lay off from the MLS concerns me as to what his fitness may be.

It is good the club are bringing players in at this time of season but we really need to be signing blokes who can actually play 90 mins NOW not in a few weeks time

Agreed.

I don't understand why he has only been signed until the end of the season. I'm assuming it will take about a month to reach full fitness, by which time there will only be a month or so left to play.
    Maybe it is because they want to give the new coach freedom to build their own team, but I hope the club has at least worked on a new contract for next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Agreed.

I don't understand why he has only been signed until the end of the season. I'm assuming it will take about a month to reach full fitness, by which time there will only be a month or so left to play.
    Maybe it is because they want to give the new coach freedom to build their own team, but I hope the club has at least worked on a new contract for next season.
    Maybe it was the rest of this season or he wouldn't sign - might not have been our doing? At least if he finds some form, we'll kind of have first dibs when it comes to him signing a new contract. I don't see any disadvantage to the Jets in this instance, or with Griffo. The club has already plummeted down the table, so they can't really make it worse.

Banned
    Agreed.

With Carneys track record of not actually playing much club football giving him a long term deal would be foolish. To give HSG credit the end of the season is plenty. My main concern is his fitness. To me he needs to be at a level to be able to play next weekend and get through at least 70 mins minimum. Otherwise we will have 2 blokes on the bench who are building fitness (Griffs suspension pending) and another bloke in Bridges who isn't good for long spells either

Fair points halo and MFKS.

As I said in the other thread, I do really rate this signing. If him and Goodwin can form some kind of partnership on the left, oh boyyyy....
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Banned
    Fair points halo and MFKS.

As I said in the other thread, I do really rate this signing. If him and Goodwin can form some kind of partnership on the left, oh boyyyy....
    Didn't he play right mid/wing for Smurfs back in the day??? May be that may be an option also

Carney to use his NYRB contacts to get Timmy next season.
    One can only dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I didnt know that Carney and Verschelden knew each other.....
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Timmy V in behind Griffo and Tagz geez that would be a sight for sore eyes.
    No offence Timmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I think the Carney signing can be a very astute one.

I am assuming that he is in for Mitch Cooper on an injury contract?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ield-conundrum

good article on the jets tactics from last weekend. too long to repost here, plus too lazy to reformat it myself

Good read....Cheers
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Banned
    A MAJOR football centre proposed for Speers Point could be built before the end of the year, the deputy premier believes.

Deputy premier Andrew Stoner announced a lease to create 10 five-a-side synthetic courts and two international-size synthetic football fields at Speers Point Park during a visit to the Hunter today.

The lease will give Northern NSW Football long-term control of the Crown Land site, Mr Stoner said.

The $11.3 million proposal is a partnership between Lake Macquarie City Council, the state government, Northern NSW Football and Macquarie Football.

It gained council approval late last year and is earmarked as a potential training ground for Asian Cup sides next year.

Construction is due to begin in the next few weeks, a council spokeswoman said,

According to the deputy premier, the centre could be operating by the start of the International Children’s Games in December.

‘‘I’m told that it’s right to go within about nine months,’’ he said today.

‘‘I’m sure [the centre] will contribute to the development of future champions who will compete on the world stage.’’

Northern NSW Football chairman Bill Walker said the fields would make the Hunter a gathering point for the state’s football faithful.

‘‘It’s not only for the Hunter region, it’s for the 50,000 players who are registered with us,’’ Mr Walker said.
    I wonder if PV4 will relocate his 5 a side activities here once built or continue patronising the Gypos??

Banned
    FOOTBALL Federation Australia officials hit back yesterday at what they labelled ‘‘unwarranted criticism’’ from the Newcastle Jets after the suspension of Joel Griffiths.

Griffiths was banned for two games on Monday for verbally abusing referee Ben Williams after the full-time siren in Saturday’s 2-all draw with Wanderers at Hunter Stadium.

See your ad here

Jets officials decided on Tuesday not to appeal against the penalty and ordered Griffiths to have counselling at his own expense.

But chief executive Robbie Middleby was quoted in a newspaper report yesterday complaining about the judicial process, asking: ‘‘Why are clubs denied the right to make submissions on their player’s behalf prior to the [match review panel] making their recommendation for a suspension?

“And how can the [match review panel] be truly independent in this case when they have two ex-referees on their three-man panel and the only evidence they are considering is the referee’s report?”

The report said Middleby had been told there was no avenue available for Griffiths to argue his case and the FFA had knocked back a request from the Jets to arrange a different panel.

“We just believe the whole process could be a lot better and less regimented, and it’s something the FFA should at least investigate,” Middleby was quoted as saying.

In a media statement issued yesterday, the FFA reaffirmed its commitment to the match review panel system and defended the integrity of panellists after ‘‘unwarranted criticism by the Newcastle Jets’’.

“The MRP system is designed to strike a fair, sensible and proportionate balance between the demands of running a professional competition and providing clubs and players with an opportunity to be heard,” A-League boss Damien de Bohun said.

“The Hyundai A-League is one of the few leagues in which a red card can be overturned and an automatic suspension waived under the obvious-error provision.”

FFA said the match-review panel comprised one former FIFA referee, one former Socceroo who played professionally in Australia and abroad and one member who was a national league player before becoming a referee.

“The MRP is ideally composed of people with a range of football experiences who work independent of FFA,” de Bohun said.

“Any assumption as to how individual members approach cases based on whether they are a former referee, former player or a former player/referee is uninformed and has no foundation in fact.

“A club has no knowledge of the deliberation of individual panel members, nor should they because it’s an independent review that produces a collective outcome.”

For the ‘‘purpose of clarity’’, the FFA media release addressed issues the Jets raised in a five-point list.

The statement noted:

■ The match review panel ‘‘is not a judicial body’’ and ‘‘does not impose or hand down suspensions’’ but merely proposes sanctions.

■ The panel ‘‘does not rely solely on the referee’s report’’ but also reviews all available TV footage.

■ Every player ‘‘always has the right to a hearing at which he can make a submission. A player is not denied natural justice. He can choose to accept the MRP proposal or reject it and have a full hearing with legal representation before a judicial body chaired by a Senior Counsel’’.

■ In the instance that a player elects to have a full hearing before the judicial body, any decision is made ‘‘from scratch after seeing and hearing all the evidence’’.

■ Griffiths and the Jets ‘‘chose not to take this course. The club has accepted the player was at fault and in fact has decided to impose its own additional sanction’’.

■ FFA ‘‘categorically denied’’ a statement on the Jets website that said: “FFA advised [the Jets] that it was highly likely the penalty would be increased at a hearing”. Instead, Jets officials were ‘‘correctly advised that at a hearing the disciplinary committee decides any additional sanction itself and in doing so may take into account a player’s prior disciplinary record’’.

In a final broadside, FFA said the A-League disciplinary system had undergone major reviews in 2008 and 2011 and minor adjustments each year and ‘‘all clubs and the Professional Footballers Association’’ were asked for input.

‘‘In the past two seasons, the post-season review has attracted a total of four submissions from three clubs across the two years,’’ it said.

‘‘FFA will conduct its annual review at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season.’’

Middleby did not reply when offered the chance to respond to the FFA statement.

A-League referees boss Ben Wilson travelled to Newcastle yesterday to discuss any concerns the club had relating to the performance of Williams on Saturday night.

Jets striker Adam Taggart said yesterday that Griffiths was remorseful about the dramatic end to his first game since leaving the club five years ago to play in China.

‘‘He’s disappointed and he’s obviously apologised,’’ he said. ‘‘Look, we’re all emotional in the game. We were all probably thinking the same thing. I didn’t even know what was going on at the time and Joel wears his heart on his sleeve, so I think he was just emotional. Everyone gets emotional, and sometimes you just can’t control yourself, I guess.’’
    How these pricks can say the MRP process isn't ****ing flawed is beyond me.

There is no right of appeal without suffering a greater fate.

The fact they sent the referees boss up to see the club says to me the **** ****ed up. Hopefully we slipped him the paper bag to get some decisions this weekend